PDA

View Full Version : most lopsided trade in nba history

Kyben36
07-23-2017, 09:15 AM
figured this would be a fun thread. would love to hear some thoughts.

some I remember just from my nba lifetime

the pau gasol trade. though looking back pau for Mark actually ended up ok for the griz

lamarcus Aldridge for tyrus Thomas and Victor Khryapa (yep. my bulls)

James harden. looking back all they have left is Mitch and Adams. hardley worth a star.

the trade that netted Kyrie Irving for the Cavs. ( take a look)

nets Boston deal. (this is prolly the worst)

the eddie curry trade.(knicks fans likely want to forget this one. traded Jamaal crawford, Antonio davis, Michael sweetney jermain Jackson Tim Thomas. 2 2 round picks a 2006 first ( ended up #2 Lamarcus Aldridge but we botched that ourselves ) and the right to swap 1st round picks in 2007 (ended up joakim Noah. )

so what do you guys think is the worst you can remember. or even all time.

ChiSox219
07-23-2017, 10:16 AM
I'd say Doug McDermott for Gary Harris, Nurkic, and two 2nd round picks has to be up there.

Scoots
07-23-2017, 11:02 AM
This is all just pain

Balltime
07-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Pau Gasol being lopsided is a myth.

Memphis ended up with cap space available and Marc Gasol.

eDush
07-23-2017, 11:13 AM
figured this would be a fun thread. would love to hear some thoughts.

some I remember just from my nba lifetime

the pau gasol trade. though looking back pau for Mark actually ended up ok for the griz

lamarcus Aldridge for tyrus Thomas and Victor Khryapa (yep. my bulls)

James harden. looking back all they have left is Mitch and Adams. hardley worth a star.

the trade that netted Kyrie Irving for the Cavs. ( take a look)

nets Boston deal. (this is prolly the worst)

the eddie curry trade.(knicks fans likely want to forget this one. traded Jamaal crawford, Antonio davis, Michael sweetney jermain Jackson Tim Thomas. 2 2 round picks a 2006 first ( ended up #2 Lamarcus Aldridge but we botched that ourselves ) and the right to swap 1st round picks in 2007 (ended up joakim Noah. )

so what do you guys think is the worst you can remember. or even all time.Besides seeing many discrepancies in the players involved, you mentioned LA twice like you really want him back. I'm sure the Spurs would give him back for one decent player in return like Denzel? :nod:

eDush
07-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Memphis ended up with cap space available and Marc Gasol.Memphis actually wanted Sun Yue but the Lakers refused and gave them Marc instead, trust me on this :nod:

IndyRealist
07-23-2017, 11:37 AM
If I can count two trades in the same season.

In 1996 the Pacers traded Mark Jackson and Ricky Pierce for Jalen Rose and Reggie Williams. Then at the deadline the Pacers traded Vincent Askew and Eddie Johnson to get Mark Jackson back. So the Pacers ended up with the two best players among the 6 traded.

Cracka2HI!
07-23-2017, 11:42 AM
I don't know the specifics because it was before my time but The Lakers were already a playoff team when they drafted Magic Johnson #1 overall. I believe they traded a past his prime Gail Goodrich for that pick a couple years earlier. The Nets trade and that Eddy Curry Knicks trade have to be up there with that one. The Clippers had a bad one where they traded the #1 overall pick and Baron Davis for Mo Williams. That pick became Kyrie. That was more really bad luck being The Clippers had the 10th worst record or something. Another Clipper trade that worked out in their favor was when they got Brand for Tyson Chandler. That wouldn't have been so bad but The Bulls never got anything out of Chandler.

IndyRealist
07-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Also the Pacers. In 1981 they traded a future 1st round pick for center Tom Owens, who only stayed with the team one year then retired. That pick was conferred in 1984 and was #2 overall, in the year Michael Jordan went #3.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Bucks traded Ray Allen for washed up Payton and Desmond Mason. This has George Karl written all over it. Oh and Kareem forced his way out of Milwaukee for LA. Oh and Bucks traded Dirk. But we probably didn't even know who he was. We traded his draft rights to Mavs more less they picked him while we were on the clock. We wanted Robert Tractor Traylor badly. RIP Tractor. Oh and we traded Baker for Hill and Brandon. Brandon was injury prone and both weren't to happy about landing in Milwaukee. Bucks rerouted them for Tim Thomas and Cassell and Scott Williams. Turned out decent.

eDush
07-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Also the Pacers. In 1981 they traded a future 1st round pick for center Tom Owens, who only stayed with the team one year then retired. That pick was conferred in 1984 and was #2 overall, in the year Michael Jordan went #3.If the Blazers had selected MJ, you likely end up with Sam Bowie which is worst then Tom Owens since they needed a center. Surprised no one mentioned the Kawhi for Hill trade that would have beating Lebron in that one close series which went to 7 games :nod:

mikekhelxD
07-23-2017, 11:57 AM

Memphis ended up with cap space available and Marc Gasol.Memphis actually wanted Sun Yue but the Lakers refused and gave them Marc instead, trust me on this :nod:

Hey hey, Lakers benefited from Yue. Don't be talking about a champion like that, he made sure he kept that bench warm.

eDush
07-23-2017, 12:04 PM

Hey hey, Lakers benefited from Yue. Don't be talking about a champion like that, he made sure he kept that bench warm.The D league bench warm thanks to Mitch who was worried about favoritism among brothers perhaps. Might've cost Kobe a hardware against Boston that one season :nod:

Balltime
07-23-2017, 12:06 PM
The Kareem trade was lopsided.

cheetos185
07-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Walsh/dolan picking up billups option than amestying him was stupid.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

aman_13
07-23-2017, 12:37 PM
The VC trade.

TrueFan420
07-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Speedy Claxton & Dale Davis for Baron Davis... I sure there are more lopsided trades but this was huge for the warriors was central to us getting into the playoffs for the first time in FOREVER

Bausman
07-23-2017, 01:01 PM
The VC trade.

Yup.

warfelg
07-23-2017, 01:01 PM
In the coulda woulda shoulda; Sixers were offered TMac and a 1st for Larry Hughes.

This was the offseason before TMac exploded (1999).

eDush
07-23-2017, 01:18 PM
In the coulda woulda shoulda; Sixers were offered TMac and a 1st for Larry Hughes.

This was the offseason before TMac exploded (1999).Lol i remembered that one...Billy King was pushing hard to get Hughes for some reason and it an unprotected pick he was adding to the offer too :nod:

LionsFan..LOL
07-23-2017, 01:32 PM
Rasheed Wallace (and Mike James) for Chucky Atkins (Boston), Lindsey Hunter (Boston), Zelko Rebraca (ATL), Bob Sura (ATL). I think a draft pick went to Boston too but I don't remember who the pick ended up being.

mike_noodles
07-23-2017, 01:43 PM
George to the Thunder

warfelg
07-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Lol i remembered that one...Billy King was pushing hard to get Hughes for some reason and it an unprotected pick he was adding to the offer too :nod:

Billy King wasn't a GM of anyone at the time.

KnicksorBust
07-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Joe Barry Carroll for Robert Parish and Kevin Mchale. Two Hall of Famers who helped the Celtics win a bunch of rings in the 80s.

KingPosey
07-23-2017, 02:36 PM

Memphis ended up with cap space available and Marc Gasol.

Ya but at the one he was literally a what, 2nd round draft pick without a face or name? It's dumb luck of the highest degree. That trade was ******** and awful.

The DMC trade last year was epically bad as well.

Kyben36
07-23-2017, 05:38 PM
George to the Thunder

am I then only one who like a oladipo

europagnpilgrim
07-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Kareem and Wilt trades

M.L.G.A.
07-23-2017, 06:39 PM
lol is this true lol wow

eDush
07-23-2017, 06:45 PM
George to the Thunder

am I then only one who like a oladipoOver PG? :crazy:

M.L.G.A.
07-23-2017, 06:51 PM
I'd say Doug McDermott for Gary Harris, Nurkic, and two 2nd round picks has to be up there.

lol is this true lol wow

Can't say Pau Gasol for Marc Gasol anymore, it was an even trade...

M.L.G.A.
07-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Also the Pacers. In 1981 they traded a future 1st round pick for center Tom Owens, who only stayed with the team one year then retired. That pick was conferred in 1984 and was #2 overall, in the year Michael Jordan went #3.

****ing amazing...love how far back you went...great stuff

mike_noodles
07-23-2017, 07:01 PM
The problem is with draft pick trades, you can't really count who was drafted as part of the value of the trade. Eg. The Lamarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas trade. It looked good at the time. Swapping 2 for 4 plus a little something extra. It's the ones that were severely questioned right from the jump and get worse over time. Another example is the Nets, Celtics swap. It didn't look that terrible the day the trade was made, but not worst trade of all time bad.

The draft pick trade that IndyRealist brought up is crazy though. Wow. Coulda had Sam Bowie, lol.

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Some of these are hard to call. A front office looking to dump a contract will just look for assets.

A top-ten pick for the Thunder was good: they had two MVPs already and couldn't afford to pay three.

Gasol? Grizz lucked out, but they were just dumping salaries. The Clippers? If they hadn't made that trade, their record would have been different, and they might not (very likely not) have won the lottery and still had that awful contract.

When deals are made for financial reasons, they will be lopsided.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Todd Day for Sherman Douglas. Day was horrible.

mrblisterdundee
07-24-2017, 11:42 AM
The worst is probably the racist, all-white Hawks trading Bill Russell after drafting him second in 1956. They understood his value. They simply traded him because he was black, and they wanted an all-white team. In return, they got two caucasian players whose names don't really matter, because they weren't Russell.
I also have to submit the Blazers being cheap and trading Moses for Rick Ro- it doesn't matter; just another no-name.

Chronz
07-24-2017, 12:06 PM
The worst is probably the racist, all-white Hawks trading Bill Russell after drafting him second in 1956. They understood his value. They simply traded him because he was black, and they wanted an all-white team. In return, they got two caucasian players whose names don't really matter, because they weren't Russell.
I also have to submit the Blazers being cheap and trading Moses for Rick Ro- it doesn't matter; just another no-name.

Sounds about right for the era but are we sure the big price tag didn't have something to do with it? The players they got led to a title for them so it wasn't ALL bad.

R. Johnson#3
07-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Vince Carter for nothing. I'd list the players he was dealt for but you guys have never heard of them.

kingsdelez24
07-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Vince Carter for nothing. I'd list the players he was dealt for but you guys have never heard of them.

Heard one Nets fan say that trade delayed them from properly rebuilding their team which is why they're still in a rut...
Whatever helps hi sleep at night with Bily king nightmares. VC trade still stands out as the worst in my recent memory, a dynamic scoring wing in the middle of his prime being traded for nobody role players, a disgruntled Alonzo mourning who didn't want to play for them, and a draft pick that amounted to the immortal Joey Graham.

At least the Kings were able to recoup some value for Cousins. Hield lookedlike a stud since the trade and the Kings got 2 first round picks out of it

tp13baby
07-24-2017, 01:51 PM
lol is this true lol wow

Can't say Pau Gasol for Marc Gasol anymore, it was an even trade...

Completely true. A ton of Denver fans were mad at this trade when I was ecstatic.

I might be a homer for this but the Melo trade. NY was never really a winner with Melo. Denver acquired Gallo which isn't much worse than Melo, Wilson Chandler, Mozgov who was then traded to Cleveland for 2 first rounders, the 2014 pick to land Iggy, and Jamal Murray.

Chronz
07-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Yeah, NY got ****ed in the A when they traded for Melo. Denver won that trade in a land slide.

Balltime
07-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Parish McHale trade

WestCoastSportz
07-25-2017, 02:40 PM
For me, because of the impact that it brought to Warriors....

The New Orleans Hornets traded Baron Davis to the Warriors for Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis. Remember that when the trade went down, that Baron Davis was still only 26 years old even though the trade paved the way for the Hornets to draft Chris Paul.

FlashBolt
07-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Yeah, NY got ****ed in the A when they traded for Melo. Denver won that trade in a land slide.

In hindsight, sure. But NYK management is not without fault. Their inability to design and build a cohesive team is just jawdropping. They hired Phil Jackson and effectively put a pause on any development with the team for nearly 2-3 years. It's been a total embarrassment. I won't be defending Melo here but he's been playing with incompetent management and that's almost impossible to do if you're not named LeBron James.

tp13baby
07-25-2017, 03:29 PM
In hindsight, sure. But NYK management is not without fault. Their inability to design and build a cohesive team is just jawdropping. They hired Phil Jackson and effectively put a pause on any development with the team for nearly 2-3 years. It's been a total embarrassment. I won't be defending Melo here but he's been playing with incompetent management and that's almost impossible to do if you're not named LeBron James.

The management was terrible but Gallo ended up not being that much worse than Melo. Wilson Chandler not much worse than Gallo. Jamal Murray could put the trade in the garbage.

Still question Melo as a player all in all.

FlashBolt
07-25-2017, 03:31 PM
The management was terrible but Gallo ended up not being that much worse than Melo. Wilson Chandler not much worse than Gallo. Jamal Murray could put the trade in the garbage.

Still question Melo as a player all in all.

Things were working out fairly well until they fired Woodson and changed the entire dynamics of the team. Did they give up too much? Probably. But I still believe Knicks biggest issues were with management and not Melo.

Purple Monkey
07-25-2017, 04:22 PM
Ya but at the one he was literally a what, 2nd round draft pick without a face or name? It's dumb luck of the highest degree. That trade was ******** and awful.

jury is still out on the dmc trade. he hasn't helped the pelicans at all. and the kings got a killer draft out of it. in vlade we trust.

bagwell368
07-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Joe Barry Carroll for Robert Parish and Kevin Mchale. Two Hall of Famers who helped the Celtics win a bunch of rings in the 80s.

About time....

Actually it was the C's with the #1 pick dealing it for #3 and Parish.

Parish was a long career low end HOF'er,

and McHale was one of the 3 best low post offensive players of all time that could guard 60% of the players in the league. Short career due to overplaying due to Bias dying, could have been a top 20, even so he's a top 45.

The KG/PP deal hasn't finished yielding results so we'll wait, but Joe Barry Apathy is better at this point.

eDush
07-25-2017, 06:57 PM

jury is still out on the dmc trade. he hasn't helped the pelicans at all. and the kings got a killer draft out of it. in vlade we trust.I like what the Kings got back in Buddy Hield, who should flourish with the Kings now that they have Fox passing him the ball. This backcourt duo is what I am looking forward to as a sports fan :nod:

Ahriman
07-26-2017, 05:02 AM
One trade I still hate is Minny trading Brandon Roy (#6 pick in the 2006 draft) to the Blazers for Randy Foye (#7 pick in the same draft !)

Randy was garbo and I don't understand how they could consider moving down a spot without getting anything else in return...

Another bad one is Washington trading C-Webb for a washed up Mitch Ritchmond and a 36-yr old Otis Thorpe

EDIT: Forgot the Gerald Wallace to NJN trade for an unprotected first that turned out to be Damian Lillard in 2012 :laugh2:

cheetos185
07-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Things were working out fairly well until they fired Woodson and changed the entire dynamics of the team. Did they give up too much? Probably. But I still believe Knicks biggest issues were with management and not Melo.
He refused to sign as a free agent if he had signed with the Knicks instead of trade they would have been able to add more talent around him. I'm not saying Knicks fo are genius or even decent but melo and Denver hoodwinked Dolan by leaking rumors that Melo was going to sign with nets. Melo and Dolan are biggest reason Knicks have been mediocre since Walsh left.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

IndyRealist
07-26-2017, 09:41 AM
jury is still out on the dmc trade. he hasn't helped the pelicans at all. and the kings got a killer draft out of it. in vlade we trust.

Don't think Vlade gets credit or blame for that one. He said he had a "better" deal earlier, presumably nixed by Randive. Vivek is the one that believes in Hield and got that deal.