PDA

View Full Version : The sky hook has never been perfected...

Balltime
07-23-2017, 01:08 AM
by another player after the great Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Why hasn't it? This guy was dominating in the 60s with this move. We seen other moves come and go, We seen Jordan fade away being taken by Kobe, Jerry West pull up Jumper from MJ, the step back jumper by mutlple players, but no one has revived the sky hook like KAJ. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlB8X101kME

tredigs
07-23-2017, 02:01 AM
by another player after the great Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Why hasn't it? This guy was dominating in the 60s with this move. We seen other moves come and go, We seen Jordan fade away being taken by Kobe, Jerry West pull up Jumper from MJ, the step back jumper by mutlple players, but no one has revived the sky hook like KAJ. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlB8X101kME

I've seen all the tapes, but I'd actually be curious to know how efficient the sky hook for him actually was. I'd guess 70% hit rate from inside 5 feet? Maybe 3-8 percent better than your average take from that range. And this was an extremely fluid, 7'1" dominant offensive force. Your average center now a days? Lol. They don't have his game. Nobody is even remotely close. Not a move worth using for them.

LivinLakers
07-23-2017, 02:10 AM
^^^Exactly the reason. Kareem was a 7'1 gifted finesse center. Those guys don't grow on trees. I thought David Robinson had the skills to pull it off, but other than him, and maybe Hakeem, I can't think of another center that had the skills to pull it off. Most 7ft + guys are either power players or athletic freaks, or uncoordinated. Not too many like Cap out there.

ChiSox219
07-23-2017, 02:57 AM
Giannis could probably incorporate the move into his game later in his career. Anthony Davis too.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-23-2017, 03:08 AM
Zu Alcindor has been working on it

GoferKing_
07-23-2017, 05:11 AM
Players are too lazy to work on their game.

ManningToTyree
07-23-2017, 08:11 AM
I've always wondered this too it's pretty much unstoppable for someone that size.

It's something that would be difficult to master so nobody takes the time to learn it.

GREATNESS ONE
07-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Your Sig :laugh2:

Scoots
07-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Kareem worked on it for years before he was in the NBA. There isn't much player development below the NBA level anymore and even less for big men. You can't do a skyhook until your footwork is solid and most big men get to the NBA with horrible footwork.

Balltime
07-23-2017, 11:15 AM

There are some with the cognitive skills to differentiate from one to the other.

Jamiecballer
07-23-2017, 11:20 AM
bringing the ball down is never a good idea especially now in a game of athletic giants

jaydubb
07-23-2017, 01:46 PM
:nod:

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

KnicksorBust
07-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Wouldn't it be because the player would have to be in the 99th percentile for height and coordination? Such a small number of people and no MS or HS coach is prepared to teach it. Theoretically KAT could probably learn it quickly and thrive with it.

KnicksorBust
07-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Plus although we appreciate it I don't think this generation would look at it as a "cool" shot.

Cool shots:
3s (the deeper the better)
Step backs (the most recent obsessions bc of Steph)
Dunks
Fadeaways
Double clutch moves
Reverse layups

Hustla23
07-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Because it's actually pretty hard to execute.

Lakers + Giants
07-23-2017, 08:00 PM
agreed with KoB, I think KAT can pull it off.

Chronz
07-24-2017, 09:44 AM
I've seen all the tapes, but I'd actually be curious to know how efficient the sky hook for him actually was. I'd guess 70% hit rate from inside 5 feet? Maybe 3-8 percent better than your average take from that range. And this was an extremely fluid, 7'1" dominant offensive force. Your average center now a days? Lol. They don't have his game. Nobody is even remotely close. Not a move worth using for them.

Heavens no, that 70% number as to include fast break/open cuts to the rim. The skyhook was strictly a halfcourt weapon and from where KAJ shot it from mostly, 70% sounds ridiculous. Im thinking somewhere between 40-50%, its why his efficiency dropped as it became his last and only weapon, which is really good for a guy his age.

Quinnsanity
07-24-2017, 10:13 AM
This thread title was misleading. I was expecting you to say not even Kareem did it.