PDA

View Full Version : Does the NBA have to intervene if Melo, Kyrie and LBJ end up in the West?

AllBall
07-22-2017, 03:57 PM
At what point does the leauge intervene for basketball reasons? They don't necessarily have to stop the trades, but maybe redoing the schedule and adding top 16 seeding will be necessary.

I believe there's is a fine balance between entertainment and sport that the NBA needs to keep before completely losing all credibility as a sport.

There are other obvious glaring issues as well with owners using players to recruit for them to circumvent the tampering rules, but right now the talent spread is of bigger concern.

If the ratings and money is the sole focus, then it's just a WWE entertainment event, where it doesn't matter that it's a fixed "sport" and only the ticket and ratings draw is all that matter. The NBA is at risk of becoming a parody of its former self.

Thoughts?

More-Than-Most
07-22-2017, 04:04 PM
lol i wonder what people would say then... they would start making excuses on why the west isnt actually that great as soon as lebron landed on his new team.

FOXHOUND
07-22-2017, 04:10 PM
No, the NBA never intervenes because it's on the team owners and management to put together the best teams.

Balltime
07-22-2017, 05:13 PM
NBA only intervenes when the Lakers are involved.

j-bay
07-22-2017, 05:21 PM
NBA only intervenes when the Lakers are involved.

Cleveland after Bron left. Don't think the will be rescued this time though

rhino17
07-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Why should owners in the east be rewarded for 20 years of ineptitude?

goingfor28
07-22-2017, 05:27 PM
NBA only intervenes when the Lakers are involved.Prime example: WCF vs Sac

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

warfelg
07-22-2017, 05:41 PM
I think the NBA should start to get concerned. If it gets too imbalanced you'll have some major markets stop paying attention, ratings will go down, and salaries will go down.

AllBall
07-22-2017, 05:51 PM
No, the NBA never intervenes because it's on the team owners and management to put together the best teams.

If the leauge never intervenes then all the rules would be exactly the same since it's inception. There would be no such thing as a 3 point shot. We'd still have best of 5 playoffs. We'd still have 2-3-2 finals and CP3 would have been on the Lakers long ago.

Why should owners in the east be rewarded for 20 years of ineptitude?

So you believe that the leauge would have to intervene and do a top 16 seeding which would reward the West, no?

Saddletramp
07-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Prime example: WCF vs Sac

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Turned it around on 'em. Nice.

LA_Raiders
07-22-2017, 07:38 PM
No, ****ing stern is out.

mike_noodles
07-23-2017, 06:47 AM
I said this in another thread, they should just realign. Make it like MLB/NFL.

Kyben36
07-23-2017, 08:46 AM
no. and people need to realize the nba as a whole has no affect on trades. the only thing that matters to them is cap compliance. everyone points to Chris Paul trade. but the interm gm had no right to make the trade as the nba was running the team at the time. that's why the trade was canceled it never allwed to go through.. not cause the nba did not want Paul on the Lakers.

it would be like if a coach walked into a gms office and made trade calls and agreed on a trade. but. the owner and :gm were never aware.

the nba can not stop legal trades. if the east wants to suck. so be it.

Kyben36
07-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Cleveland after Bron left. Don't think the will be rescued this time though

what did the nba do to stop that. lol. I gotta hear this.

and again. nba did not veto the trade for Chris Paul. they simply said no. the nba was running team at that point.

Scoots
07-23-2017, 11:12 AM
The NBA realized LONG ago that the ratings are about player names more than about matchups. Trades are not taking names out of the NBA so they are still there to be seen.

The schedule is "balanced" so every market, regardless of how bad their own team, gets to see the "stars" visit with other teams.

If all of the all-stars were in the West those games will draw more viewers and the East will draw fewer ... but stars playing together is a net positive in the ratings.

AllBall
07-23-2017, 01:41 PM
If it's all about ratings, then this is officially the WWE,

KingPosey
07-23-2017, 02:57 PM
I think the NBA should start to get concerned. If it gets too imbalanced you'll have some major markets stop paying attention, ratings will go down, and salaries will go down.
That would be called the market correcting itself naturally. Governments and governing bodies should absolutely stay out of the markets affairs no matter what or they will just **** it up worse.

JasonJohnHorn
07-24-2017, 11:21 AM
No... there is no need, and, they won't.

LBJ has a no-trade clause. He wants his 8th straight finals appearance. He won't agree to go out west or to any situation in the east that won't get him to the finals.

Kyrie may end up out there, but if he does, somebody equally good (Lillard) will be coming back.

Melo... well... he's not going to make the West better. He won't even make the All-Star team if he changes conferences. I mean... he'll be the third best player on a 50-win team in Houston (though with CP3 they may earn 60 or be in the high 50s).

With PG and Butler, already out there, and guys like DMC, Townes, and Davis in the front court, as well as KD and Green and Blake... I mean... there would be no room for Melo unless you cut out a PG, and which one are you going to cut? CP3? Westy? Curry?

mrblisterdundee
07-24-2017, 12:40 PM

They need to get hit in the wallet for anything to happen. And it needs to be a cohesive effort with the NBPA, which seems to be quite powerful.
We already saw players shoot themselves in the foot a little bit by creating two juggernauts who then played an almost minimal amount of playoff games, eventually costing themselves some ratings and, subsequently, some cap space. It needs to get much worse, though, before anything will happen.

mrblisterdundee
07-24-2017, 12:45 PM
That would be called the market correcting itself naturally. Governments and governing bodies should absolutely stay out of the markets affairs no matter what or they will just **** it up worse.

That's an overgeneralized blanket statement. You can't trust capitalists to do what's right for the people. For example, the "market" is why our healthcare is so insanely expensive. The government should totally get involved, cutting healthcare insurers (i.e. worthless middlemen profiting off of what should be a fundamental right extended to all Americans) out of the equation and establishing a single-payer system.

KingPosey
07-25-2017, 05:20 PM
That's an overgeneralized blanket statement. You can't trust capitalists to do what's right for the people. For example, the "market" is why our healthcare is so insanely expensive. The government should totally get involved, cutting healthcare insurers (i.e. worthless middlemen profiting off of what should be a fundamental right extended to all Americans) out of the equation and establishing a single-payer system.

nooooooo, now THAT is an overgeneralized statement, and not a very accurate one.

And we don't have a free market, again, because of our governing body. But this is a sports forum so I'm done. Youre just not right and needed to know that.

LOb0
07-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Why would they have to do anything? It's:

Warriors

29 losing teams

How does changing seeding fix that?

AllBall
07-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Why would they have to do anything? It's:

Warriors

29 losing teams

How does changing seeding fix that?

When every playoff series is ending in 4 or 5 games and is boring as well, it's a problem. Let's not kid ourselves, the most important part of the NBA season is the playoffs.