PDA

View Full Version : Players Recruiting Other Players Through Trades

NetsPaint
07-19-2017, 08:35 PM
I think this is a terrible thing for teammates to do. It shows you don't have confidence in your teammates and you're saying in public that you don't care if they're gone as long as you get a better player, in their eyes. They're not GMs. It's fine if they try to recruit a free agent, depending on if it doesn't effect the team's cap by needing to trade to make space, but not through a trade. Take Nene/whoever else on the Rockets if they're trying to recruit him. Not only do you want to trade for him, you KNOW who the Rockets have to trade (Anderson).

Has there been any instances where a player has gotten mad at one of their teammates/former teammates for this?

WaDe03
07-19-2017, 09:43 PM
Just the way it is now, guys are doing whatever they can to try and compete with the Warriors.

Scoots
07-19-2017, 09:46 PM
That "don't have confidence in your teammates and you're saying in public that you don't care if they're gone" was learned by today's players from LeBron's passive aggressive comments to the press on a regular basis.

The thing where players talk to each other and figure out where they want to play and work to get traded to a certain team is not new AT ALL it just didn't happen in the press before.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-19-2017, 11:00 PM
Fine by me.

It doesn't take a genius to realize X is better than Y. I'm sure Y is aware regardless of what Z says about him in the press. If you want to earn the man's vote of confidence then play better.

IndyRealist
07-20-2017, 12:16 AM
I don't particularly care about their feelings. It should be considered player tampering if the player is under contract.

TrueFan420
07-20-2017, 02:02 PM
I don't particularly care about their feelings. It should be considered player tampering if the player is under contract.

Yea I think this rule needs to be expanded on. Right now tampering is only geared to organizations. But the players can do what they want. I think players should fall under the organization if under contract and be considered tampering too.

JasonJohnHorn
07-21-2017, 12:00 AM
That "don't have confidence in your teammates and you're saying in public that you don't care if they're gone" was learned by today's players from LeBron's passive aggressive comments to the press on a regular basis.

The thing where players talk to each other and figure out where they want to play and work to get traded to a certain team is not new AT ALL it just didn't happen in the press before.

This isn't on LBJ. People have been throwing people under the bus since before buses existed.

Barkley did this in Philly. The only difference is he asked to be traded himself rather than trading for a better player.

And this happened with Wilt too. It's why he got moved to LAL.

And Jordan used to personally insult guys in practice constantly.

JasonJohnHorn
07-21-2017, 12:04 AM

Tampering. Yes. The league is full of tampering. The might as well not have any tampering rules if this is the way things are going to be done.

The Heat bringing in Bosh and LeBron with Wade was highly suspect. It seemed like they had a plan, and the franchise was in on it, and if that was true (which I can't say it was), that has the potential to undermined the on-going season.

This is the offseason, so... not quite as big a deal I guess, but tampering is tampering.

Unless a team gives permission...

NY screwed itself giving Melo that no-trade clause.

Scoots
07-21-2017, 12:08 AM
This isn't on LBJ. People have been throwing people under the bus since before buses existed.

Barkley did this in Philly. The only difference is he asked to be traded himself rather than trading for a better player.

And this happened with Wilt too. It's why he got moved to LAL.

And Jordan used to personally insult guys in practice constantly.

Yes, but none of those guys are the heroes of the current kids in the NBA ... LeBron is.

Of course LeBron didn't invent passive aggressive comments.

Vinylman
07-21-2017, 01:40 PM

Not new? If you mean since the AAU era ... sure

But to act like it has been going on at the "current frequency" which is what his point was is nonesense

Scoots
07-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Not new? If you mean since the AAU era ... sure

But to act like it has been going on at the "current frequency" which is what his point was is nonesense

You don't think players in the 60s talked about where they wanted to play and talked about how or if they could make it happen? I'm sure it happened ... the issue was that there was no free agency so they needed owners to cooperate so it seldom happened for star players, but star players are not the only players who change teams to play with a buddy.