PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili to return for 2017-18 season

mrblisterdundee
07-18-2017, 06:11 PM
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, we get at least one more year of Manu Ginobili:

Ginobili has been leaning toward a return, and he plans to push back retirement for at least one more season, league sources said.
Ginobili will turn 40 next week.
Ginobili is one of the most decorated international players in basketball history, a three-time NBA All-Star, an Olympic gold medalist and a Euroleague MVP. Ginobili made $14 million in 2016-17, during which he averaged 7.5 points and 18.7 minutes.
- Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20095850/manu-ginobili-finalizing-details-return-san-antonio-spurs)

TrueFan420
07-18-2017, 06:25 PM
Glad he's back. He can't show up consistently anymore but he's a great xfactor for the playoffs. If he's on he can still change a game.

Jeffy25
07-18-2017, 11:32 PM
26th player ever to play at 40 or older?

FlashBolt
07-18-2017, 11:33 PM
I had a feeling he was going to come back. I just hope it gets competitive enough for him. Spurs haven't made moves at all other than resigning Mills and getting Gay. I personally thought Simmons is a better fit for the Spurs.

LA_Raiders
07-19-2017, 12:18 AM
As a water boy?

kdspurman
07-19-2017, 11:01 AM
As a water boy?

https://68.media.tumblr.com/b8cbfcdc644a51784ea2f79c4660e961/tumblr_opqr99rx3p1u2klrwo1_400.gif

Hawkeye15
07-19-2017, 11:03 AM
I hated him when he first came into the league. Then I slowly fell in love with him. He is probably one of my favorite players in the last 20 years. So unpredictable, so intelligent, and when you talk about a guy who made huge sacrifices to win, Manu is at the top of the list.

Just love the guy. Always loved this comment from Raja:

“People always ask me who was hardest to guard,” Raja Bell said. “I say Kobe. That is what people want to hear. But the truth is, it might have been Manu. He’d rev it to fourth gear, get by you, take it back to second gear so you’d run into him, and then he’d make a crazy floater. I made a living studying offensive players. I couldn’t figure him out.”

kdspurman
07-19-2017, 11:03 AM
I had a feeling he was going to come back. I just hope it gets competitive enough for him. Spurs haven't made moves at all other than resigning Mills and getting Gay. I personally thought Simmons is a better fit for the Spurs.

They made subtle moves, but who knows. It's not like they needed an overhaul, and next off season they'll have lots of cap space to work with.

Simmons would've been nice, but he wanted a bigger role and more money. Not much they could've done it seems he wanted out

FlashBolt
07-19-2017, 02:29 PM
They made subtle moves, but who knows. It's not like they needed an overhaul, and next off season they'll have lots of cap space to work with.

Simmons would've been nice, but he wanted a bigger role and more money. Not much they could've done it seems he wanted out

They're still going to be a top 3 team in the West but the West has gotten so much better this offseason so the gap definitely closes. The cap space is a good thing, though. Kawhi needs some help at this point. Every other guy in the top five has ten times the help Kawhi has.

kdspurman
07-19-2017, 02:56 PM
They're still going to be a top 3 team in the West but the West has gotten so much better this offseason so the gap definitely closes. The cap space is a good thing, though. Kawhi needs some help at this point. Every other guy in the top five has ten times the help Kawhi has.

Yea for sure. It looks like they'll be playing a bit more small ball too, so it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. I'm hoping Kawhi can channel is inner 2003 Timmy and just go nuts in the playoffs

Hawkeye15
07-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Yea for sure. It looks like they'll be playing a bit more small ball too, so it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. I'm hoping Kawhi can channel is inner 2003 Timmy and just go nuts in the playoffs

I actually think my Wolves might match up alright with you guys this yeah. Butler is at least acceptable as a matchup for KL. Towns will be very difficult for you to check. I think your depth kills us in stretches, but depth isn't a factor come playoffs unless injuries are in play.

kdspurman
07-19-2017, 03:20 PM
I actually think my Wolves might match up alright with you guys this yeah. Butler is at least acceptable as a matchup for KL. Towns will be very difficult for you to check. I think your depth kills us in stretches, but depth isn't a factor come playoffs unless injuries are in play.

On paper no doubt. I'd enjoy that series . If LMA is still here, he's a much better defender than he gets credit for, I think he'd give some resistance to Town. But Towns is a handful for sure.

Depth can be important, especially with the way Thibs is known to play guys lol

FlashBolt
07-19-2017, 03:21 PM
I think the Rockets are getting underrated here. They added more playmakers on a team that loves to shoot threes. The amount of open looks some of these guys are going to get will IMO, lead to the Rockets smashing the three point record again. In today's game, they are proving that their system works. Minny? IDK, they have the talent but Houston's game is designed for this modern era.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2017, 03:23 PM
On paper no doubt. I'd enjoy that series . If LMA is still here, he's a much better defender than he gets credit for, I think he'd give some resistance to Town. But Towns is a handful for sure.

Depth can be important, especially with the way Thibs is known to play guys lol

well, Towns, at some point very soon, will become nearly unguardable. That will kind of be key for us, and the difference between making the playoffs, and competing deep in the playoffs. I really don't think you guys have anyone to slow Towns going forward.

Thib's depth usage is frustrating. He only plays guys he trusts, and it takes forever for him to trust you.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2017, 03:24 PM
I think the Rockets are getting underrated here. They added more playmakers on a team that loves to shoot threes. The amount of open looks some of these guys are going to get will IMO, lead to the Rockets smashing the three point record again. In today's game, they are proving that their system works. Minny? IDK, they have the talent but Houston's game is designed for this modern era.

I was speaking for a matchup against the Spurs. And honestly, while the Rockets improved, did they really up their chances against GS? I don't think so. Their upgrades/strengths are offset by GS completely imo.

FlashBolt
07-19-2017, 03:38 PM
I was speaking for a matchup against the Spurs. And honestly, while the Rockets improved, did they really up their chances against GS? I don't think so. Their upgrades/strengths are offset by GS completely imo.

No one has upped their chances against GS if we're being honest, though.. Cavs are the same team, Spurs didn't get better, and adding CP3 to the Rockets or PG to the OKC don't elevate us that much compared to the Warriors. Minny made huge moves but Wiggins and Towns are still too young when it comes to playoff competition so I can't give them the nod to much yet.

kdspurman
07-19-2017, 03:42 PM
well, Towns, at some point very soon, will become nearly unguardable. That will kind of be key for us, and the difference between making the playoffs, and competing deep in the playoffs. I really don't think you guys have anyone to slow Towns going forward.

Thib's depth usage is frustrating. He only plays guys he trusts, and it takes forever for him to trust you.

We shall see. If he gets to that point, I'm totally fine giving him the Amare Stoudemire treatment, let him get his and keep the clamps on everyone else.

FlashBolt
07-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Spurs didn't get better on paper, but internal development is overlooked so much. I mean we see what Kawhi has done, who knows what other guys make a big jump. Murray could be that guy, Brandon Paul is essentially like Simmons but a much better shooter, so they still keep that athleticism, and LMA is in a contract year, so there's incentive for him to play better.

Improving can come from guys playing better honestly

That's not always going to work out, of course. We'll see. I just thought LMA would have been traded by now cause he's declining as a player.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2017, 03:44 PM
We shall see. If he gets to that point, I'm totally fine giving him the Amare Stoudemire treatment, let him get his and keep the clamps on everyone else.

after being a Wolves fan for eternity, I am the most pessimistic mofo alive when it comes to my team.

That being said, Towns will be much better than Amare was. And yes, I/we need to see that first.

I just think the matchup will be a good one for the Wolves strengths, relative to the Spurs weaknesses. But, I think we are like 2-68 in the last 15 years against you, so yeah....

kdspurman
07-19-2017, 03:45 PM
No one has upped their chances against GS if we're being honest, though.. Cavs are the same team, Spurs didn't get better, and adding CP3 to the Rockets or PG to the OKC don't elevate us that much compared to the Warriors. Minny made huge moves but Wiggins and Towns are still too young when it comes to playoff competition so I can't give them the nod to much yet.

Spurs didn't get better on paper, but internal development is overlooked so much. I mean we see what Kawhi has done, who knows what other guys make a big jump. Murray could be that guy, Brandon Paul is essentially like Simmons but a much better shooter, so they still keep that athleticism, and LMA is in a contract year, so there's incentive for him to play better.

Improving can come from guys playing better honestly

kdspurman
07-19-2017, 03:58 PM
That's not always going to work out, of course. We'll see. I just thought LMA would have been traded by now cause he's declining as a player.

Not always, but it's certainly a possibility. I gotta see how those guys look before determining if they got better or not. Even Mills didn't play that well, so he's due to bounce back.

Re LMA: I think they tried to move him on draft night but couldn't find a deal. It's very possible (though unlikely) they feature him a lot early on and move him mid-season.

We'll see. I'm ready for the season to start

kdspurman
07-19-2017, 04:03 PM
after being a Wolves fan for eternity, I am the most pessimistic mofo alive when it comes to my team.

That being said, Towns will be much better than Amare was. And yes, I/we need to see that first.

I just think the matchup will be a good one for the Wolves strengths, relative to the Spurs weaknesses. But, I think we are like 2-68 in the last 15 years against you, so yeah....

Haha . Idk if they're there yet honesty, Pop can still get these guys to play at a high level against the competition, (as we saw briefly in the playoffs) and Kawhi's quite close to unguardable already. I think if play making is included in his next software update, he's got a strong case as best player in the game.

Your Wolves look to be in for an exciting season. That record will go out the window anyway, but man. That's pretty staggering

Hawkeye15
07-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Haha . Idk if they're there yet honesty, Pop can still get these guys to play at a high level against the competition, (as we saw briefly in the playoffs) and Kawhi's quite close to unguardable already. I think if play making is included in his next software update, he's got a strong case as best player in the game.

Your Wolves look to be in for an exciting season. That record will go out the window anyway, but man. That's pretty staggering

I made those numbers up, but all time, we are 28-84 against you guys. However, since KG left, we are 6-37 against you guys. Including dropping the last 11...

Yeah, you guys destroy us

Heediot
07-20-2017, 04:43 AM
re-up Manu and Pau for the same money as last year in a one year deal. Save the cap and try and get two max guys next summer.