PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with Bogut?

JasonJohnHorn
07-16-2017, 11:23 AM
I realize that as a guy who's going to be 33 this season, who is coming off an injury, and who had seen a decline in minutes even when healthy and playing in his prime years, that Bogut may not be 'in demand'.

However, his defence, passing reliable mid-range jumper and rebounding make him an ideal back-up (or even a starter).

Any number of teams could benefit from his skill set, even in limited minutes. He'd be a perfect fit in SAS, and with Cleveland. And most obviously, the Warriors. I don't know if there is bad blood there given that they traded him to clear cap space to bring in KD, but it seemed amicable.

Even with only 20 minutes a game his last year in GSW (at 31) he was posting 7 boards, 2.3 assists and over a block and a half a game while shooting 48% from the floor. That's 12 boards, 4 assists, and 2.6 blocks per36 (all-star numbers outside of his scoring average). He knows their system, and their players, and fits in perfectly. Why are they not on the phone with this guy?

Even teams like Houston and Boston could use this guy.

Am I missing something? Is this just a matter of teams looking keep cap space clear for other signings or trades?

Every year there is a signing that entering the post season is clear was the biggest steal of the offseason, in part because so few teams showed interest, and the team that ends up signing the guy gets a huge discount on somebody who makes a huge contribution. Guys like Chris Andersen in Miami. Or Robert Horry when he got picked up by SAS. Or McGee this year (but to a lesser extent given GSW's sheer dominance). And there are any number of other instances where a team didn't win but still got big contributions from discounted players.

It seems like Bogut is an obvious instance of a case where a team will pick up a huge contributor a s significant discount. Why are teams waiting?

PAOboston
07-16-2017, 02:59 PM
He's coming off an injury. Might not be 100% yet. Also, he can take his time. If teams have a need for a vet big man they can sign him during the regular season too.

Scoots
07-16-2017, 03:00 PM
I follow him on social media for some reason and he barely talks about anything NBA related, but he certainly implied he expects to come back another year. But I could easily see him choosing to play overseas somewhere and maybe Australia since he keeps talking about missing the summer there.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-16-2017, 05:24 PM
He's probably not ready to take a discount yet either. Also injury prone.

kobe4thewinbang
07-16-2017, 07:46 PM
Read an article about him the other might. He feels confident about the bone being stronger and he's set to resume basketball activities soon. So just not there yet fully so teams are waiting. I'mma probably sign him on my 2k Spurs.

From Hoopsrumors.com:

"Andrew Bogut is close to full health and ready to test the free agent market, writes Marc Stein of ESPN.com. Bogut had a disastrous debut with the Cavaliers in early March, fracturing his left tibia less than a minute into his first game. He was recently cleared for running and jumping and expects medical approval for full basketball activities in about two weeks. His agent, David Bauman, has been sending out health updates to NBA teams while Bogut rehabs in Australia. The Cavaliers could use Bogut to fill their backup center role, but luxury tax concerns may prevent them from re-signing him."

"Andrew Bogut and his agent will talk to more than 10 teams as he seeks to come back from a fractured tibia, Steve Aschburner of NBA.com reports. Bogut suffered the injury in his Cavaliers debut on March 6. He did not require surgery and Bogut shed his cast a few weeks ago, Aschburner continues. The veteran center expects to begin full basketball workouts within the next three weeks, Aschburner adds."

kobe4thewinbang
07-16-2017, 07:53 PM
From NBA.com:

"To head off any concerns about his leg, agent David Bauman has sent copies of Bogut’s medical clearance and bone scans to interested teams. Bogut said they have a “laundry list” of more than 10 teams with whom they’ll talk, and added that he isn’t worried the injury will dissuade anyone. “I don’t feel like this injury will hurt me long-term, because the bone will heal stronger than it was before,” he said"

Scoots
07-16-2017, 08:08 PM
He's probably not ready to take a discount yet either. Also injury prone.

I think he's pretty smart and realizes what his reality is. The question is, is a team going to offer him enough to get him to leave home again.

IndyRealist
07-16-2017, 08:14 PM
I feel like the NBA has moved on from his style of ball. Guys who would have been SFs a decade ago are manning PF and C these days. Bogut isn't a JaVale McGee with the freak athleticism to be able keep up with those guys, and doesn't have the offensive game of a KAT or AD to justify keeping him on the floor.

mavwar53
07-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Did I read a reliable mid range jumper, apparently someone hasn't watched bogut anytime recently.

Other than that he is just so slow, his absence in the finals did not hurt the warriors in 2016 they just ****ed up a lead and lebron and Kyrie played great. He's had to many injuries.

Scoots
07-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Did I read a reliable mid range jumper, apparently someone hasn't watched bogut anytime recently.

Other than that he is just so slow, his absence in the finals did not hurt the warriors in 2016 they just ****ed up a lead and lebron and Kyrie played great. He's had to many injuries.

If you look at the rebounding numbers I'd disagree. But his skill in passing, setting screens. blocking and changing shots were definitely still elite and useful in the modern NBA. I just don't know that he is reliable enough to get a contract.

JasonJohnHorn
07-18-2017, 07:28 PM

I could be wrong about that, but when I saw him play with the Warriors, his mid-range shot was usually reliable enough that guys would have to step out to guard him.

I assume you are a Warriors fan and have watched him more, so I will defer to your observations, but he always seemed like a reliable guy in that respect whenever I watched him.

That said.. he's a great rebounder and defender, doesn't make the kind of stupid mistakes and silly fouls that MeGee makes, AND he is a good passer with a solid post game. So if a team goes small with him on the court, he can abuse that guy guarding him.