PDA

View Full Version : Morey says Harden/CP3 smartest/most complementary 2-player combo ever: thoughts?

JasonJohnHorn
07-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Morey says Harden/CP3 smartest/most complementary 2-player combo ever.

Obviously horse $#!t.

That said... who do you think is the smartest/most complementary 2-player combo?

How about with respect to the back court? What's the best PG/SG combo ever?

Dumars/Zeke? Porter/Drexler? Hardaway/Richmond? Gail/Jerry? Curry/Klay? Stockton/Horny? Parker/Manu? or CP3/Harden? Or other?

ewing
07-15-2017, 09:47 AM
Frazier/Monroe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnicksorBust
07-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Frazier/Monroe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbury/Francis

GiantsSwaGG
07-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Marbury/Francis

Smush/Kobe

ball4reel
07-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Jordan/Pippen

ManRam
07-15-2017, 12:20 PM
I don't know what's the best, but I've seen a lot of talk about how they don't fit together and that is more horse **** than Morey's comment. Curry and Klay might "compliment each other" better because Klay isn't nearly as dynamic with the ball in hands as Paul or Harden, but give me the pairing of guys who can kill you with or without the ball in their hands over the pair that has one of each.

Paul and Harden will be lethal.

KnicksorBust
07-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Cousy/Jones

Chronz
07-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Greatest experiment since Wade-Bron

THE MTL
07-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Frazier and Monroe

mightybosstone
07-15-2017, 01:33 PM
I don't know what's the best, but I've seen a lot of talk about how they don't fit together and that is more horse **** than Morey's comment. Curry and Klay might "compliment each other" better because Klay isn't nearly as dynamic with the ball in hands as Paul or Harden, but give me the pairing of guys who can kill you with or without the ball in their hands over the pair that has one of each.

Paul and Harden will be lethal.

Greatest experiment since Wade-Bron

:nod:

mightybosstone
07-15-2017, 01:43 PM
As for OP's post, I don't know if there's a cut and dry answer. As others have said, Frazier/Monroe, Dumars/Thomas and Curry/Klay certainly come to mind, but Harden and Paul absolutely deserve to be in the conversation. In the history of the NBA, how many times have two of the league's top 3-5 playmakers been on the same roster together? Honestly, this might be the first time. And they both have extremely high basketball IQs. I don't think Morey is that far off in his assessment at all.

hugepatsfan
07-15-2017, 02:49 PM
If you want to limit to PG/SG 2-player combos then year but Morey said just player combo in general. No one is taking CP3/Harden over Magic/Kareem, Duncan/D-Rob, Shaq/Kobe, etc.

Hustla23
07-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Lebron/Boobie

Balltime
07-15-2017, 03:24 PM
West and Goodrich

Scoots
07-15-2017, 04:39 PM
West/Wilt?

The list is VERY long and thus far CP3/Harden have done literally nothing together.

FOXHOUND
07-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Arenas/Crittenton

Balltime
07-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Arenas/Crittentonhaha, or dangelo Russell/ nick young

IndyRealist
07-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Any combo? Stockton/Malone. They went to the Finals almost strictly on those two running pick n' roll.

JasonJohnHorn
07-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Any combo? Stockton/Malone. They went to the Finals almost strictly on those two running pick n' roll.

And kicking it out to Horny for open 3's! He was integral to that team. But yea... S/M/P&R=Historical.

Scoots
07-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Iguodala/Green

JasonJohnHorn
07-15-2017, 09:10 PM
In the history of the NBA, how many times have two of the league's top 3-5.

The only issue I take with this is that I'm not sure how you qualify the top 3-5 playmakers. Yes.. I don't think there is a better play maker in the league than Paul. I'll give you that.

But Harden? I say this being well aware that he led the league in assists. But just getting the most assists doesnt make you a top-five play maker. If a guy get the ball on pretty much every possession, and leads the league in minutes, he might have higher per-game averages than some better passers. More importantly, what is the assist-to-turnover rate? It's hard to measure with Harden because he is a scorer as well. But that said, he didn't even get 2 assists per turnover. That is horrendous for a point guard. Paul has averaged twice as many on his career. That his a HUGE difference in passing efficiency.

It's hard to measure on raw stats, yes, but I think there are a number of better play makers than Harden who simply don't have as high a per-game average because of minutes or sharing ball handling duties. Kyrie, for example, averages 2.3 assists per turnover and is also a high volume scorer, and he's on a team with LBJ, who was 6th in the league in assists per game. So, the Cavs currently already have two passers who are (or at least it could be argued) better than Harden (though neither is in Paul's category).

Morey's comment is about 'chemistry'. We've seen two All-Star level, ball dominant players dumped together and fail any number of times. This is a gamble worth taking, but there are legit concerns as to how these two will co-exist.

Harden has become used to scoring off the ball and creating on his own. I think it is fair to say that a guy like CP3 would have far better chemistry with a SG like Ray Allen or Reggie Miller or Klay, especially since Ray and Klay are both far better defenders than Harden (Miller as well likely), and that they are all better shooters than Harden, which would allow CP3 to play his game and facilitate theirs.

I mean... Harden and Westbrook were 1 and 3 on assists per game this year, and they've played together in the past and didn't achieve a historic level of success, even with KF (though both player had reached their potential while playing together).

The concerns about this tandem are legit. The gamble is worth it. Is this as bad as putting Kobe and Dwight together? No. But it may lead to similar results. Five years from now people may look back on the people who got a boner for this pairing and laugh and the projected success, like we now see with the Lakers putting that 'dream team' together.

I'm hopeful, but skeptical.

The thing is, 'Antoni and Haren. They both lack D. CP3 is a task master and he will lose patience with team mates who don't bust their @$$e$. He'll light a fire under them, but if they don't respond, I don't expect him to stick around next year.

GiantsSwaGG
07-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Mike James/Mike James

mavwar53
07-15-2017, 10:32 PM
Arenas/Crittenton

Best so far.

Scoots
07-15-2017, 10:40 PM
Fisher/Bryant

One makes top plays on his teammates wives, the other makes all the plays ... for himself.

Redrum187
07-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Dan Roundfield and Wes Unseld

kdspurman
07-15-2017, 11:27 PM
If you want to limit to PG/SG 2-player combos then year but Morey said just player combo in general. No one is taking CP3/Harden over Magic/Kareem, Duncan/D-Rob, Shaq/Kobe, etc.

My thoughts as well. Very different conversations and imo they're a long ways from the examples you mentioned.

cheetos185
07-15-2017, 11:41 PM
Marbury/Francis
Moochi Norris/Frank Williams

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

JasonJohnHorn
07-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Arenas/Crittenton

Those guys could shoot the likes out! Literally.

TheMightyHumph
07-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Thomas/Dumars

Hawkeye15
07-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Jordan/Pippen

TrueFan420
07-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Lonzo doesnt need a second player to be consider the best combo as he is so good he counts for 2