PDA

View Full Version : Charania: Spurs renounce Jonathan Simmons

mrblisterdundee
07-13-2017, 02:13 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have renounced the rights to guard Jonathon Simmons, making him an unrestricted free agent, league sources told The Vertical.
Simmons and the Spurs have had no new negotiations since the qualifying offer was pulled Thursday, and Simmons has focused fully on signing elsewhere, agent Cervando Tejeda told The Vertical.
Multiple teams were heavily involved throughout Simmonsí restricted free agency, but now will be more engaged with the unexpected renouncing of his rights, league sources said.
Simmons, who faced a long road to make it to the NBA, averaged 6.2 points and 2.1 rebounds in 78 games with the Spurs last season. In two seasons with San Antonio, Simmons, 27, averaged 6.1 points and 1.9 rebounds.
Center Dewayne Dedmon left the Spurs recently in free agency to join the Hawks, and center Pau Gasol declined his $16.2 million option with San Antonio in June with the intention of working on a new deal to remain with the franchise.
- Shams Charania, The Vertical (https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-spurs-renounce-rights-guard-jonathon-simmons-162236133.html)

What do you think the market for Simmons is? And how does it affect San Antonio, losing younger rotation guys like Dedmon and Simmons?

WaDe03
07-13-2017, 02:18 PM
They have BP3 now so it doesn't matter.

TrueFan420
07-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Dedmon isn't a loss. Simmons will be but he probably wanted way more money than he's proven he's worth. They have shown they can produce more Simmons and Dedmons.

tp13baby
07-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Dedmon was one of the better paint protectors so how isn't he a loss? Fg percentage against him was ranked near the bottom.

Simmons to me with their combo guards is easier to lose for me.

hugepatsfan
07-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Dedmon isn't a loss. Simmons will be but he probably wanted way more money than he's proven he's worth. They have shown they can produce more Simmons and Dedmons.

The problem is they don't just need to maintain the status quo, they need to gain ground on GS. I'm sure they can produce another Simmons/Dedmon but just replacing what they lost isn't closing the gap on GS. Neither is adding Rudy Gay. That's the conundrum every team now faces. You need to make BIG TIME improvement to catch GS because they're so far ahead of everyone. You can't afford to just be replacing guys you let go or adding a good, even great player, at the cost of pieces on your roster. You just can't afford much trade off. You need straight improvement.

Rivera
07-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Big loss. You need athletic defensive wings vs GS

Simmons - Green - Leonard - Gay could match up very well defensively against GS

TrueFan420
07-13-2017, 02:36 PM
The problem is they don't just need to maintain the status quo, they need to gain ground on GS. I'm sure they can produce another Simmons/Dedmon but just replacing what they lost isn't closing the gap on GS. Neither is adding Rudy Gay. That's the conundrum every team now faces. You need to make BIG TIME improvement to catch GS because they're so far ahead of everyone. You can't afford to just be replacing guys you let go or adding a good, even great player, at the cost of pieces on your roster. You just can't afford much trade off. You need straight improvement.

Dedmon wasn't helping them against the warriors. Simmons is a tough loss but if he wanted 18 million a season they can't. He isn't worth it. They may also be looking to make a serious move next year. I believe Parker is off the books then. Pau prob only signs a 1 year deal and Gay signed a 2 year deal with an option. He either opts or Is an expiring... they'll make a big move next year. Their still look to move LA for pieces as well.

eDush
07-13-2017, 11:34 PM

Dedmon wasn't helping them against the warriors. Simmons is a tough loss but if he wanted 18 million a season they can't. He isn't worth it. They may also be looking to make a serious move next year. I believe Parker is off the books then. Pau prob only signs a 1 year deal and Gay signed a 2 year deal with an option. He either opts or Is an expiring... they'll make a big move next year. Their still look to move LA for pieces as well.Simmons is not worth 18 mil per cause he disappeared in so many games unlike other role players like Mills who brings it every game which is Pop kinda guy :nod:

kdspurman
07-14-2017, 11:04 AM

Big time improvements can come from internal development too. People fall in love with signing big names, but when that's not an option, you work with what you have and make the most out of it. Something SA has been doing for quite some time.

It was reported SA was willing to match up to 9m/yr, but he wanted to test the market for more. He and his agent may end up regretting it and getting less now. We'll see

Scoots
07-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Big time improvements can come from internal development too. People fall in love with signing big names, but when that's not an option, you work with what you have and make the most out of it. Something SA has been doing for quite some time.

It was reported SA was willing to match up to 9m/yr, but he wanted to test the market for more. He and his agent may end up regretting it and getting less now. We'll see

This.

Too many teams and GMs over pay to get their new toy when a young player already on the team could have used that playing time to develop into a comparable or even better player in a year. Fans want the known name, not the guy the coaches say has potential. Young guys are inconsistent so you get bad bad play from them at times and fans give up on them and call them garbage.

The Spurs Owner/GM/Coaches know.

mrblisterdundee
07-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Simmons is not worth 18 mil per cause he disappeared in so many games unlike other role players like Mills who brings it every game which is Pop kinda guy :nod:

I definitely liked the Mills signing. He's sort of a bridge from Parker to Murray, who will hopefully develop into the Spurs' point guard of the future.

hugepatsfan
07-14-2017, 01:04 PM

Very true. I do expect some internal improvement for SA, particularly Murray but also Anderson/Bertans/Forbes. Also can't rule out Leonard continuing to get better. These internal improvements will compound with the addition of Rudy Gay to try and compensate for any losses and improve further.

HOWEVER, just as you can have internal improvement you can also have internal decline. You have to expect for Pau to be a little worse this year than last (I'm assuming he's back). Parker the same thing, particularly with the injury. Danny Green will be going into his age 30 season as well so some decline wouldn't be shocking, though I don't expect it on any large scale. And this internal decline is compounded with the losses of Dedmon and seemingly Simmons, along with potentially Manu and/or Lee.

GS is probably the most dominant team we've ever seen - they're far ahead of the pack. So there really isn't much wiggle room to have your improvements negated, even partially, by losses and player decline. Those minimize the degree to which your improvements actually improve you. That's not a SA issue, that's league wide.

Yeah BOS added Hayward but it cost them Bradley/Olynyk. They're obviously better but it hurts to have some of it negated. Yeah HOU added CP3, but they lost Beverly and Lou Will. They're obviously better but it hurts how much ground they made up having to lose 2 good players in the process. SA is in the same boat.

Hopper15
07-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Simmons was the most impressive Spur in the WCF after Kawhi went down.

WaDe03
07-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Ok so after seeing he only signed for 3/20 all I can say is........really Spurs?

5ass
07-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Ok so after seeing he only signed for 3/20 all I can say is........really Spurs?

Replaced by Rudy Gay coming off an injury? They cant tiw up capspace i guess. They want to make a big splash.

kdspurman
07-14-2017, 06:45 PM

It was rumored SA was willing to give him 9m/year. Not sure what he wanted, but his agent wasn't happy with the negotiations. Maybe he saw other contracts and wanted more?

Either way , I think they were done playing games. He and his agent probably didn't want SA to match an offer sheet hence them renouncing his rights.

NYKnickFanatic
07-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Rumor has it that Simmons didn't get along with Pop.

5ass
07-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Rumor has it that Simmons didn't get along with Pop.

Maybe to a certain extent, but then why would the Spurs offer 9 mill/yr if they didn't want him?

Htownballa1622
07-14-2017, 07:14 PM
I wish he would've stayed with spurs cuz I like to see him in a prominent role but lord knows he deserved to cash in.

WaDe03
07-14-2017, 08:27 PM
It was rumored SA was willing to give him 9m/year. Not sure what he wanted, but his agent wasn't happy with the negotiations. Maybe he saw other contracts and wanted more?

Either way , I think they were done playing games. He and his agent probably didn't want SA to match an offer sheet hence them renouncing his rights.

He's dumb for not taking that then. How much cap space do you all have right now?

Cracka2HI!
07-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Seems like both sides screwed up on this one.

LOb0
07-14-2017, 09:01 PM
I don't understand this. 3 years 20 million? That's a bargain. Why didn't SA just keep him?

Lakers + Giants
07-14-2017, 11:09 PM
Sounds like ego played a part. Spurs said you're not as valuable as you think, and Simmons basically just wanted out.

Bowman53
07-14-2017, 11:18 PM
I'd rather have Simmons over Rudy Gay coming off Achilles tear.

kdspurman
07-15-2017, 11:01 AM
He's dumb for not taking that then. How much cap space do you all have right now?

Not much, but this is where we're at.

Next summer, cap space galore

kdspurman
07-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Sounds like ego played a part. Spurs said you're not as valuable as you think, and Simmons basically just wanted out.

Basically this. It's a bit of an ego, and him wanting more money. I can't knock him for that.. but I can tell you, what he got in Orlando is likely what he had to settle for based on what I read.

The 27-year-old Houston native walked into free agency with the intentions of securing a deal of at least $50 million. But it has not been a good offseason for many restricted free agents.

"I want to be in position to play a decent amount of minutes per game," said Simmons. "I feel like I can excel playing enough minutes per game. I explained that to Pop (Gregg Popovich) and he understand that. ... I want to be able to continue to improve and still make a name for myself and I wasn't going to do that (with the Spurs). Not like I wanted to."

He'll probably be able to start in Orlando which will be good for him.

kdspurman
07-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Seems like both sides screwed up on this one.

I don't see how the Spurs screwed up, it seemed like Simmons had unrealistic expectations, and also he wasn't happy with the role he was going to have.

5ass
07-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Last year of his contract is only 1 mill guaranteed. Nice.

Scoots
07-15-2017, 05:28 PM
I don't see how the Spurs screwed up, it seemed like Simmons had unrealistic expectations, and also he wasn't happy with the role he was going to have.

I agree. Losing free agents is part of the free agent system. And it's not always money. Every year players leave teams for less money because they want a different situation.

If any Spurs fan was asked to choose between Pop calling the shots on who had what roles on his team and a player, I would hope 100% would say Pop.

JasonJohnHorn
07-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Heard about this. Looked at his stats. Consider how inflated other guys' stats were in SAS and though: who even gives a $#!T?