PDA

View Full Version : League Voted to Speed Up Play

kobe4thewinbang
07-13-2017, 02:04 AM
Article: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/07/nba-adopts-new-rules-to-speed-up-play.html

Highlights:

- No more "20 second" and "full" timeouts; simply just "team" timeouts now. League says that the "shorter" timeouts amounted to 60 seconds, given certain factors, with the longer ones more like 90 seconds. Plus the full ones were usually accompanied by a commercial break for advertising.

- Not as many timeouts now, 14 down from 18 total for each team for each game

- Only 2 timeouts for each team in "overtime" five-minute period, down from 3 each

- No more idle movement by the free throw shooter. No longer can they pace back to the 3PT line to prep for their shot

- Imposing a stricter 15 minute "halftime" intermission

- TV timeouts in games have been moved to the seven and three-minute marks of each quarter.

You'll find that the comments on that article say there was nothing done about the intentional fouls, but the league did recently change the 'hack-a' rule didn't they? So I assume they're working on it still...

Overall, I think it's pretty neat and compliments the faster tempo of today's league. It's going to negatively affect teams that want to slow down the game, though, if any psychological advantage/momentum-stoppage was factual in the first place.

More-Than-Most
07-13-2017, 02:08 AM
This is gold for Ball/Simmons/Curry Etc

Aust
07-13-2017, 02:17 AM
Did the halftime intermission stay the same? They are just enforcing that 15 more seriously?

kobe4thewinbang
07-13-2017, 02:19 AM
Did the halftime intermission stay the same? They are just enforcing that 15 more seriously?Yeah, not sure if more details will be coming as to HOW, but that's all it says now: "Other moves to speed up the game include enforcing the 15-minute limit for halftime."

mikekhelxD
07-13-2017, 02:22 AM
I wonder how much the new free throw pacing will affect the players. I for sure would be during crucial moments especially if you missed the first one.

basch152
07-13-2017, 04:17 AM
This is surprising to me because I have to imagine this is going to dramatically effect the money they get from advertisement

R. Johnson#3
07-13-2017, 08:53 AM
The only way to speed up the NBA is to have the refs whistle dangling by their knees so they can't blow it every 3 seconds.

TrueFan420
07-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Good it's a joke that the game takes so damn long to watch cause of all the time outs and commercial time outs. It literally never starts when it's supposed too. NBA is just trying to milk the hell out of it.

TheDish87
07-13-2017, 12:10 PM
should do 1 and 1's like college to help speed up a bit too

tredigs
07-13-2017, 12:16 PM
This is gold for Ball/Simmons/Curry Etc

Why? I don't think that this will effect team pace one way or another at all, if that's what you're getting at.

If anything, this may mean less rest and more breaks for the high minute players. Tough to log the same amount of minutes with less rest. Overall, I'm indifferent on this. I'm OK with the game having less commercial time, but will be bummed if it does indeed amount to most star players going 30-33 mpg (some are already there).

Scoots
07-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Every time I take someone to their first game they always remark how often the players are just standing around chatting. The teams don't need most of the timeouts they are taking for TV, and none of those are going away.

I've always wondered why they didn't enforce the 10 seconds rule from when the official offers the ball to the shooter to when they can shoot ... now they are enforcing that the player has to be there when offered ... sort of. FTs should be run like a formula 1 pit stop ... FOUL!, run to the line, no need to have anybody in rebounding position, designated ball boy has an extra ball ready and immediately zips it to the shooter as soon as he toes the line, shoot, while ball is in the air everyone can get in rebound position, no moving around, ball to shooter, shoot, play on.

Chronz
07-14-2017, 06:40 AM
I remember in the jazz series much was being made about cp3 getting rest. He sat down for like 7 actual game minutes but the team was able to buy him like 30 minutes of rest. Guessing this stops that

Heediot
07-15-2017, 03:58 AM
why not go international/college and cut the game down to 40 mins?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-15-2017, 07:55 AM
They also moved trade deadline earlier. Its now before the All Star game.