PDA

View Full Version : R.J. Barrett

mrblisterdundee
07-12-2017, 04:27 PM
I was reading in The Ringer about this 17-year-old Canadian phenom R.J. Barrett, son of former Canadian standout Rowan Barrett and godson of Steve Nash. He recently handed Team USA its first international loss in six years, while winning Canada its first title in the FIBA U19 World Championships. He won't be eligible for the NBA draft until 2019 at the earliest.
At 17 years old and likely still growing, he's already 6'6" and 193 pounds with a 6'10" wingspan. He's been described as anything from a potential point guard to a small-ball power forward.
In 30.6 minutes per game during the championships, Barrett averaged 21.6 points, 8.3 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.7 steals per game. He led Canada in points, assists, steals and nearly in rebounds. The only glaring hole in his game seemed to be outside shooting, probably the most common issue with young phenoms. Tjarks seems to think he's pretty far along for his age:

Maybe the most impressive part of Barrett’s play in Cairo was his feel for the game. He’s not quite as physically imposing as Andrew Wiggins, but he’s much more polished than his fellow Canadian phenom was at the same age, showing the ability to manipulate the defense and find his teammates all over the court. Barrett was the primary ball handler for Canada throughout the tournament, averaging 4.6 assists and 2.9 turnovers per game. If he can tighten up his handle as he gets older, he could play as a point guard in the NBA.
- Jonathan Tjarks, The Ringer (https://theringer.com/rj-barrett-fiba-u19-greatest-canadian-basketball-prospect-fbe374453d92)
What are your thoughts on him? He seems to be more polished than Andrew Wiggins was at 17. Some are saying he could be the greatest Canadian player ever.

Cal827
07-12-2017, 04:33 PM
He can tighten up his handles all he wants, he'll never be Anthony Bennett.

More-Than-Most
07-12-2017, 04:41 PM
this is why the celtics are keeping this pick... this guy will get them over the hump 8 years from now when he finally comes into his own.

Sly Guy
07-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Didn't know him before, but I've got my eye on him now. I'm hesitant to jump on board with any player this young, or after only one really great performance.

I've seen too many brandon jennings'/ricky rubios to be sold this quick.

tp13baby
07-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Yeah I will wait. For the"reason why the Celtics are keeping his pick" is a overstatement. If he isn't as imposing as Wiggins I will wait til he plays against older men.

Silent
07-12-2017, 05:44 PM
this is why the celtics are keeping this pick... this guy will get them over the hump 8 years from now when he finally comes into his own.

i see what you did there :laugh:

nicnac
07-12-2017, 06:16 PM
FYI. from same high school as dangelo Russell, Ben Simmons, and watch for dakari Johnson soon from developmental league

Coached by Kevin Boyle, Kyrie Irving high school coach from jersey and st pats. now in Florida, montverde Academy