PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents You Are Surprised Are Still Available?

kobe4thewinbang
07-10-2017, 03:30 PM
You got guys like Dewayne Dedmon from the Spurs. Spurs just signed Joffrey Lauvergne, so they don't seem too concerned about Dedmon. They've already given 8 million to Rudy Gay and re-signed Mills immediately upon free agency. They're still planning to re-sign Gasol, too. Ginobili could still come back also, so I don't see where the money is for Dedmon, who opted out of 3 million but looks like he might not even get that. Also nobody has thrown a big offer at Jonathon Simmons yet.

It's just a bit odd to me?

Obviously Derrick Rose is still out there, and that makes more sense given his injury history every season it seems since his ascension to stardom. Rajon Rondo might become a Laker, who knows, but clearly his attitude has hurt his market value after an up/down year with the Bulls.

Other teams flat out haven't done anything, my Lakers included, especially in the east but there are also teams out west that have stood pat. Jazz don't seem concerned in hiring a Hayward replacement, but were able to give him a lot of money, so they're not using that yet.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, David Lee, Tony Allen, Arron Afflalo, Andrew Bogut, others like Brandon Bass, Norris Cole, Monta Ellis, Randy Foye, Gerald Green, Brandon Jennings, Jonas Jerebko, Ty Lawson, Thabo Sefolosha...

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2017

5ass
07-10-2017, 03:54 PM
I like dedmon, but he's become overrated this year. Theres a reason he only plays like 17 mpg.

KCP is the best player still on the market IMO, Detroit only offered 16 mill/yr, 5 yr contract. He'll properly get 20 mill/yr.

TylerSL
07-10-2017, 04:19 PM
I'd say the top free agents left are

1. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
2. Derrick Rose
3. Nerlens Noel (R)
4. Jonathan Simmons (R)
5. Rajon Rondo
6. JaMychal Green
7. Mason Plumlee (R)
8. CJ Miles
9. Pau Gasol
10. Dewayne Dedmon

The only thing is only 10 teams currently have any cap space, and of those 10 only 3 have more than $10 million in cap (Hawks, Nets, Lakers). So these free agents, by and large, can get plucked with exceptions. If anyone can land Rose on a mid-level they should consider themselves extremely fortunate.

hugepatsfan
07-10-2017, 04:53 PM
I'd love for BOS to get involved on JaMychal Green. S&T Crowder, Rozier, Jordan Mickey (non-guaranteed). That lets BOS pay him up to $15,256,019 in year 1 which I think would be enough.

Try and land Mo Speights on a vet min deal as well.

IT / Smart
Hayward / Brown
Morris / Tatum
Green
Horford / Baynes / Speights

IndyRealist
07-10-2017, 05:28 PM
I'd say the top free agents left are

1. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
2. Derrick Rose
3. Nerlens Noel (R)
4. Jonathan Simmons (R)
5. Rajon Rondo
6. JaMychal Green
7. Mason Plumlee (R)
8. CJ Miles
9. Pau Gasol
10. Dewayne Dedmon

The only thing is only 10 teams currently have any cap space, and of those 10 only 3 have more than $10 million in cap (Hawks, Nets, Lakers). So these free agents, by and large, can get plucked with exceptions. If anyone can land Rose on a mid-level they should consider themselves extremely fortunate.

CJ Miles got picked up by Toronto in a sign and trade.

LeonFSU
07-10-2017, 07:55 PM
I'm surprised Cleveland hasn't expressed interest in Tony Allen or Thabo Sefolosha. My guess on Dedmon is he is asking for too much money, based on the ridiculous amounts given last summer to Mahinmi, Biyombo, Mozgov, Noah, etc.

Oakmont_4
07-10-2017, 08:45 PM
I'm surprised Cleveland hasn't expressed interest in Tony Allen or Thabo Sefolosha. My guess on Dedmon is he is asking for too much money, based on the ridiculous amounts given last summer to Mahinmi, Biyombo, Mozgov, Noah, etc.

Probably right and probably why teams haven't given out those contracts to bigs this summer haha

Raps18-19 Champ
07-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Tony Allen or Thabo.

With the amount of perimeter stars out there, those guys should be going quick even without 3 point shooting.

TrueFan420
07-10-2017, 11:10 PM
Surprised AA is still out there. Was hoping the Warriors would take a flyer on him for vet min.

sep11ie
07-10-2017, 11:19 PM
I could see Houston going for David Lee and Than I/Allen IF they end up with Melo.

COOLbeans
07-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Surprised AA is still out there. Was hoping the Warriors would take a flyer on him for vet min.

I had the same idea until last week. Nick Young is a much better version of Afflalo, and Casspi isn't bad either. They both are smarter players st their positions and Afflalo can really guard because he's smaller than a Nick Young on that end.

TrueFan420
07-11-2017, 12:44 AM
I had the same idea until last week. Nick Young is a much better version of Afflalo, and Casspi isn't bad either. They both are smarter players st their positions and Afflalo can really guard because he's smaller than a Nick Young on that end.
Nick young has never been accused of being a smarter player a day in his life. Afflalo may have fallen off some since his peak but he was a very good 3 and D player. Casspi is more in the SF/PF group for how he'd be used with us. Young was brought in to be a scoring punch off the bench. He provides aggressiveness which I get why we'd need that type of player just think AA would be better overal.

GoferKing_
07-11-2017, 03:43 AM
I hope no one signs Rose, would be funny.xD

warfelg
07-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Nerlens Noel is really shocking. I know he's a RFA but he's a top end defensive center and rim protector who can get up and down the floor fast and can stay in against smaller lineups.

Ahriman
07-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Now that Brooklyn tied Washington money on Porter they'll probably look to do the same with Noel lol

Vinylman
07-11-2017, 09:43 AM
obviously the great white hope still being available is shocking....

Alex Caruso

LA4life24/8
07-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Kcp come play for the lakers for a year man...

COOLbeans
07-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Nick young has never been accused of being a smarter player a day in his life. Afflalo may have fallen off some since his peak but he was a very good 3 and D player. Casspi is more in the SF/PF group for how he'd be used with us. Young was brought in to be a scoring punch off the bench. He provides aggressiveness which I get why we'd need that type of player just think AA would be better overal.

I think this is more reputation based then an accurate assessment of his bb IQ or his value as a player. I mean, dude was almost out of the league a few years ago, after being a Lotto pick not too long ago. So he has problems. But Afflalo is more one dimensional, and we dont really need his scoring with Young coming off the bench. Hes always struck me as a guy who thinks hes better than he is, and I think he wouldnt like sitting on the bench. I think Young knows hes not the man on a team like this, and his bb IQ will allow him to play more into a needed role.

IndyRealist
07-11-2017, 11:15 AM
I think this is more reputation based then an accurate assessment of his bb IQ or his value as a player. I mean, dude was almost out of the league a few years ago, after being a Lotto pick not too long ago. So he has problems. But Afflalo is more one dimensional, and we dont really need his scoring with Young coming off the bench. Hes always struck me as a guy who thinks hes better than he is, and I think he wouldnt like sitting on the bench. I think Young knows hes not the man on a team like this, and his bb IQ will allow him to play more into a needed role.

https://www.sbnation.com/2012/11/5/3607182/nick-young-philadelphia-76ers-video
Sorry but he earned that reputation.

Scoots
07-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Nerlens Noel is really shocking. I know he's a RFA but he's a top end defensive center and rim protector who can get up and down the floor fast and can stay in against smaller lineups.

Noel may just be waiting to give the Mavs as much time as possible to do any other moves they want to do.

JaVale McGee, Willie Reed, Trey Burke were all trying to get more than the minimum ... odds are going down they will by the day.

Scoots
07-11-2017, 12:12 PM

Absolutely ... The Warriors are just taking the position of the Spurs of being the place you go to rehab your reputation. Young has never been on a good team that could refuse to play him before. Now if he doesn't play "right" he doesn't play.

Vinylman
07-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Absolutely ... The Warriors are just taking the position of the Spurs of being the place you go to rehab your reputation. Young has never been on a good team that could refuse to play him before. Now if he doesn't play "right" he doesn't play.

exactly... or they cut his *** or ship him to Siberia

I actually hope they cut him during the year so he doesn't have a shot at a ring

Chronz
07-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Is Moute still a FA? Dude is a solid rotational guy on most teams IMO

COOLbeans
07-11-2017, 07:30 PM

If he wasn't an above average IQ guy then the Warriors would not have signed him.

He's just silly like McGee. And like McGee has a bad reputation. Both guys were highly sought prospects from a young age and in Mcgees case comes from good basketball pedigree and has been around high level play for a long time.

Nick Young has always been the man at every level prior to entering the NBA and it's clear that he can play

COOLbeans
07-11-2017, 07:33 PM

And by doing this they'll have high upside guys with questionable characters but are good people by all accounts coming in every year to compete for a championship.

It actually helps the league. In a way the dubs are a kind of farm for the league now

Scoots
07-11-2017, 07:37 PM
If he wasn't an above average IQ guy then the Warriors would not have signed him.

He's just silly like McGee. And like McGee has a bad reputation. Both guys were highly sought prospects from a young age and in Mcgees case comes from good basketball pedigree and has been around high level play for a long time.

Nick Young has always been the man at every level prior to entering the NBA and it's clear that he can play

We don't really know that he's not an idiot. We HOPE he's not an idiot, and he got what we assume was a good review from his previous coach.

goingfor28
07-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Surprised Nerlens Noel is still jobless. Kids young with upside.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IndyRealist
07-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Nvmd.

Scoots
07-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Surprised Nerlens Noel is still jobless. Kids young with upside.

The current NBA the best restricted free agents don't even get offers a lot of the time. Everyone knows they are going to stay where they are.

warfelg
07-12-2017, 09:03 AM
The current NBA the best restricted free agents don't even get offers a lot of the time. Everyone knows they are going to stay where they are.

It's the major downside to RFA. Literally if the team isn't at or over the cap, other teams have 0 incentive to chase the guy.

Like going after Otto Porter makes sense because Washington was over the cap. It makes them really think hard about it. But going after a guy like Nerlens when the Mavs are under the cap and would match in a heart beat like that...it doesn't make any sense.

IndyRealist
07-12-2017, 11:41 AM
It's the major downside to RFA. Literally if the team isn't at or over the cap, other teams have 0 incentive to chase the guy.

Like going after Otto Porter makes sense because Washington was over the cap. It makes them really think hard about it. But going after a guy like Nerlens when the Mavs are under the cap and would match in a heart beat like that...it doesn't make any sense.

The RFA system won't change because most of the players are already past that point, so why would they fight for it?

warfelg
07-12-2017, 11:42 AM
The RFA system won't change because most of the players are already past that point, so why would they fight for it?

Huh?

I was just pointing out the downside for players. When it's a case like Porter it's great for all sides. When you get to the KCP/Noel area it kinda sucks.

I'm not saying change the system. Just pointing out the downside of it.

LA4life24/8
07-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Huh?

I was just pointing out the downside for players. When it's a case like Porter it's great for all sides. When you get to the KCP/Noel area it kinda sucks.

Yep that and with RFA the team thats going after em (a lot of the time loses out) and has their money tied up during fa for days. So they miss out on other fas too. Rfa is kinda chitty.

Oakmont_4
07-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Yeah not a huge fan of the NBA's RFA system. I like the intent part of it, that I wouldn't change. But I think it should mimic more of the NFL style where if you do sign a RFA away from their team you should forfeit some sort of compensation.

There are other ways "poison pills" that can make a team under the cap think twice about matching, but it's rare. But I look at Tyler Johnson's contract that MIA matched last year...Brilliant move by NJ back loading the crap out of it. After this year that contract is AWFUL. NJ was also creative with Porters offer as well adding in a pro rated deadline date for Porter to receive his salary upfront. So there is some leeway even though the dollars are easily match able...it can still be structured where the contract is unattractive and makes a team think twice.

warfelg
07-12-2017, 12:25 PM
I like the idea of trying to mimic a NFL system. Sandwich round picks between the first and second where you are compensated for letting RFAs walk.

NBA-GMaster
07-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Waiting for Rose and Simmons to be sign..

Hawkeye15
07-12-2017, 12:55 PM
I like the idea of trying to mimic a NFL system. Sandwich round picks between the first and second where you are compensated for letting RFAs walk.

not enough in the pool to add compensatory picks.

IndyRealist
07-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Huh?

Just adding to the conversation. Everyone more or less agrees RFA sucks, but the NBAPA isn't going to fight it.

WestCoastSportz
07-12-2017, 01:27 PM
I'm surprised Rajon Rondo hasn't gotten more interest. Right now, it seems as if the only team that is showing interest are the Lakers. In an era with all these scoring point guards that play very little defense, you'd think Rondo would carry a lot of value to any team as a starter or even as a bench player. I think Rondo would be a great fit in San Antonio and with Popovich.

warfelg
07-12-2017, 01:53 PM
not enough in the pool to add compensatory picks.

I think the introduction of 2-way contracts and expanded g-league makes this more likely.

hugepatsfan
07-12-2017, 01:53 PM
The RFA system is how you give teams legit chances to build around their stars. Players that haven't made "set for life money" are faced with the choice of either setting themselves up for life by staying on their team (either by re-signing or getting matched) or playing out the tender. No one who isn't set for life is gonna turn down set for life money. So instead of a rookie deal really buying teams 4 years, it buys them 8-9 with their star players. It's one of the most important things in the NBA. Teams would NEVER give it up because it would kill small markets. They'd lose their stars so much earlier.

hugepatsfan
07-12-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm surprised Rajon Rondo hasn't gotten more interest. Right now, it seems as if the only team that is showing interest are the Lakers. In an era with all these scoring point guards that play very little defense, you'd think Rondo would carry a lot of value to any team as a starter or even as a bench player. I think Rondo would be a great fit in San Antonio and with Popovich.

Lowkey would love to have him back in BOS playing 20 minutes a night off the bench behind IT.

Scoots
07-12-2017, 02:21 PM

If a team wants to sign another team's RFA that team should give up a package of draft picks for the player to the team that is losing them. If it's a small contract then a protected 2nd round pick is enough compensation, if it's a max contract then 2 future 1st round picks unprotected. Or something like that. Not adding picks, but moving picks the other way.

But that's only if you do away with the right to match. As long as there is a right to match it's not really free agency. And it's that right to match why Noel hasn't had a sniff at an offer yet.

Scoots
07-12-2017, 02:23 PM

He's a little crazy ... and maybe not just a little.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2017, 02:26 PM
I think the introduction of 2-way contracts and expanded g-league makes this more likely.

sure, that would make sense. I guess through expansion of team assets, it could work.

Oakmont_4
07-12-2017, 07:32 PM

Let's see...only plays hard when he wants to (prime time TV games/playoffs), is a locker room malcontent/cancer, coach killer, can't shoot (anything - jumpers, FT, 3's - nothing), and probably wants more money than he's worth.

He's not a good player and his character may be worse. There's a reason he's been on 4 teams in 3 years. I'm not surprised at all.

He never should have turned down the C's extension they offered him. He thought he'd get a MAX in FA, that backfired. As a C's fan, I'm so happy he turned that deal down.

Oakmont_4
07-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Just adding to the conversation. Everyone more or less agrees RFA sucks, but the NBAPA isn't going to fight it.

Franchises would fight for it more than the NBAPA...It benefits small market teams more than it does the players themselves.

Oakmont_4
07-12-2017, 07:37 PM
If a team wants to sign another team's RFA that team should give up a package of draft picks for the player to the team that is losing them. If it's a small contract then a protected 2nd round pick is enough compensation, if it's a max contract then 2 future 1st round picks unprotected. Or something like that. Not adding picks, but moving picks the other way.

But that's only if you do away with the right to match. As long as there is a right to match it's not really free agency. And it's that right to match why Noel hasn't had a sniff at an offer yet.

I like it...But I'd go back to the NFL and look at their tier system which would be on the QO side (NFL tender)

The team should choose the QO they want.
1. Full right to match but get no picks back (this would carry a very large cap hold)
2. MAX tender with no right to match - you get a package of unprotected firsts
3. Low contract offer with no right to match - you get a 2nd round pick

Something like this would be nice.

mrblisterdundee
07-12-2017, 11:31 PM
Let's see...only plays hard when he wants to (prime time TV games/playoffs), is a locker room malcontent/cancer, coach killer, can't shoot (anything - jumpers, FT, 3's - nothing), and probably wants more money than he's worth.
He's not a good player and his character may be worse. There's a reason he's been on 4 teams in 3 years. I'm not surprised at all.
He never should have turned down the C's extension they offered him. He thought he'd get a MAX in FA, that backfired. As a C's fan, I'm so happy he turned that deal down.

If the Spurs gave him a chance, though, I think the best version of Rondo would show up. He can be a pest on defense, and would have plenty of shooters to hit. Maybe he could take one of those penance contracts ring chasers coming to San Antonio seem willing to sign.