PDA

View Full Version : Isaiah Thomas on free agency: “They’ve got to bring the Brinks truck”

More-Than-Most
07-08-2017, 08:15 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/isaiah-thomas-on-free-agency-theyve-got-to-bring-the-brinks-truck-474420.html

More-Than-Most
07-08-2017, 08:15 PM
:laugh::laugh:

Federal Reserve
07-08-2017, 08:16 PM
He said this last year. Delete the thread, my man.

Oakmont_4
07-09-2017, 10:25 AM
What's he supposed to say publicly? I'll take the veteran minimum. You can pay me less. Pay me what you want?

Non story. The guy is just trying to play the game with Danny. In the end, Danny's going to let the market set the price for IT and sit back and see if he wants to match it or not. He'll give IT a QO which gives him a chance to match any offer. The ball is in the rest of the leagues court, Danny just has to sit back and watch.

PS - no other team is going to offer him a max.

GREATNESS ONE
07-09-2017, 10:55 AM
He was hanging with Mayweather all weekend for Summer League in Vegas.

You know Money, let him know get paid.

lol I wouldn't pay him, I would let him walk if I'm the Celtics, no way does he live up to the contract he's about to get.

hugepatsfan
07-09-2017, 10:57 AM
What's he supposed to say publicly? I'll take the veteran minimum. You can pay me less. Pay me what you want?

Non story. The guy is just trying to play the game with Danny. In the end, Danny's going to let the market set the price for IT and sit back and see if he wants to match it or not. He'll give IT a QO which gives him a chance to match any offer. The ball is in the rest of the leagues court, Danny just has to sit back and watch.

We can't offer him a QO - he's not a restricted FA.

I doubt he'd just screw though. He seems very close with Stevens and Danny. It will be interesting to see how it plays out but I can't see us letting him go.

LA4life24/8
07-09-2017, 12:30 PM
He said this last year. Delete the thread, my man.

Ive always wondered... who's the girl in your tag gif? Sexy lol

Vinylman
07-09-2017, 04:14 PM

Celtics fans... CBA experts lol

bagwell368
07-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Lots of variables to be so sure now..

Hip...?

He probably just had his career year, will he take well to losing 5 FGA? Will dealing AB expose his D even more?

Will he continue to suck in the playoffs? Even if you toss out the last two games vs the Cavs when he was clearly hurt, he had six poor games, he had some great halves, but not many great games.

DA knows all about the projected future of post age 30 sub 6' guards in NBA history - poor.

Fan/owner "love" cause a ripple in decision making?

Little man complex forcing IT to force a max showdown to satisfy his ego?

DA could draft our next starting PG, or trade for him if IT won't tone down his price.

eDush
07-09-2017, 04:40 PM
What is a brinks truck? :shrug:

KB24PG16
07-09-2017, 04:53 PM
someone will give him the max for sure

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-09-2017, 05:01 PM
IT will easily get the max.

JAZZNC
07-09-2017, 05:34 PM

You're so clueless buddy! From basketball to life...

JAZZNC
07-09-2017, 05:39 PM

I don't agree with that. SOMEBODY will offer him a ridiculous contract especially if he has a good year! I mean look at what Porter and Hardaway just got!?!?

TrueFan420
07-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Celtics should try to cash in on IT career year and move him for better pieces

bagwell368
07-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Well the cap was supposed to be 109 and is 99, if it goes up a fair amount someone will give him 4/128, just as long as it isn't the C's.

IT isn't an easy fit, you really need him for camp to get it worked out, can't see a deadline deal unless the C's are riven with injuries and going nowhere.

JasonJohnHorn
07-09-2017, 07:54 PM
He was a fine guy to have around during the re-build, but to be honest, they'd be far better with a 26-year-old Jose Calderon (lack of defense not withstanding).

They need to look for a pass-first PG who can shoot and defend. Mike Conley would make that team far better than IT. Chris Paul would have been perfect.

They need to start looking in to trade options now.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-09-2017, 08:09 PM
I don't agree with that. SOMEBODY will offer him a ridiculous contract especially if he has a good year! I mean look at what Porter and Hardaway just got!?!?

FWIW only like three or four teams are gonna have more than $20 million in cap space next summer.

JJ_JKidd
07-09-2017, 09:30 PM
ive always wondered... Who's the girl in your tag gif? Sexy lol

up

europagnpilgrim
07-09-2017, 09:33 PM
He better hope he can at best pull off a deal similar to what Milsap or Lowry just swindled its team for, I could see him pulling it off if he duplicates last year regular season stats and stays healthy for entire playoffs regardless where they advance, just stay healthy IT and the brinks truck will be there especially if the cap goes up like I feel it will, higher cap makes for even more super teams to be in play, especially out West

ewing
07-09-2017, 10:25 PM
Mle m i rite!!!

Scoots
07-09-2017, 11:01 PM
FWIW only like three or four teams are gonna have more than $20 million in cap space next summer.

Teams can always move money when they want to.

Sactown
07-10-2017, 02:46 PM

The nets have literally offered Allan Crabbe and Otto Porter max contracts.. They'll hand Isaiah one easily

Oakmont_4
07-10-2017, 03:07 PM
The nets have literally offered Allan Crabbe and Otto Porter max contracts.. They'll hand Isaiah one easily

There's a difference between those Max's though. Not all MAX contracts are equal (specifically this case). If they do...Great for them, take him off our hands. I'll even do a S&T if they want to offer him a 5th year and Danny will even drive him in a brinks truck to Brooklyn personally

hugepatsfan
07-10-2017, 03:33 PM
I love IT but he ain't worth a max. If he walks honestly it might be better for BOS long-term if we're being honest. But it'd be a pretty crushing blow in the short-term.

hugepatsfan
07-10-2017, 03:36 PM
There's a difference between those Max's though. Not all MAX contracts are equal (specifically this case). If they do...Great for them, take him off our hands. I'll even do a S&T if they want to offer him a 5th year and Danny will even drive him in a brinks truck to Brooklyn personally

S&T doesn't allow him to get a 5th year anymore. Or the extra raises. There's no advantage at all to a S&T anymore on the player's side other than maybe opening up a new location.

I don't think the $5M/year on the max matters much either. The big difference is age. These RFAs they've offered big money too are young guys. IT is a guy you'd be signing probably past his prime. I'm not sure that IT is a guy they'd want to have on board for 4 years. But it's definitely possible.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Teams can always move money when they want to.

Sure, but a lot of teams are well over the cap or close to it. The NBA's freezing of the cap rising killed the middle class free agents this year and it will hurt even more next year when those 2016 contracts increase even more.

To add to this, the vast majority of teams have good point guard situations. Unless if Isaiah has another season like this past one, the Celtics aren't going to have to pay the max to keep him.

GREATNESS ONE
07-10-2017, 06:54 PM
I would trade IT this year if I was Boston. Some team will want him and give up plenty of assets.

Vinylman
07-11-2017, 08:02 AM

once again showing your expertise on the CBA... :speechless:

Vinylman
07-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Sure, but a lot of teams are well over the cap or close to it. The NBA's freezing of the cap rising killed the middle class free agents this year and it will hurt even more next year when those 2016 contracts increase even more.

To add to this, the vast majority of teams have good point guard situations. Unless if Isaiah has another season like this past one, the Celtics aren't going to have to pay the max to keep him.

I highly doubt he gets a 4 year max but you are kidding yourself if you don't think he can't get a lowry deal and from a cap standpoint it doesn't really matter because it will be close to a max in year 1

What is really funny is all the Celtics fans that keep saying Bradley will get $20 million a year so it was good to trade him but that IT won't get a max...

IT is gonna get ridiculous annual numbers... he just won't get 4 years on the open market unless he wants to sacrifice a little each year.

Forever35
07-11-2017, 09:03 AM
I love IT but he ain't worth a max. If he walks honestly it might be better for BOS long-term if we're being honest. But it'd be a pretty crushing blow in the short-term.

I think deciding to trade out of the #1 pick and choosing Tatum over Fultz shows the C's want IT for the long term...

warfelg
07-11-2017, 09:10 AM
The NBA's freezing of the cap rising killed the middle class free agents this year and it will hurt even more next year when those 2016 contracts increase even more.

The NBA did nothing to freeze the cap and it had little impact on middle class free agents.

1: TV revenue was lower than expected, so the cap didn't jump to the $105 mil that some thought it could.

2: The large contracts handed out last year meant teams had less cap room than last year.

3: FA always has a rush on the top 10-20 FA, a week of dull period, then another uptick as things settle.

4: Again the stupidity of team throwing around money is what hurt them, not the NBA doing much with the cap.

This is exactly why the NBA offered cap smoothing with the players too. But the players ignored it and told the NBA to shove it. Now only 1 FA class gets the windfall while the following classes feel the hurt of it. NBA players are stupid.

mike_noodles
07-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Even if he only takes 60% of the max, that would still fill up a brinks truck.

goingfor28
07-11-2017, 09:11 PM
:facepalm:

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-11-2017, 10:50 PM
I highly doubt he gets a 4 year max but you are kidding yourself if you don't think he can't get a lowry deal and from a cap standpoint it doesn't really matter because it will be close to a max in year 1

What is really funny is all the Celtics fans that keep saying Bradley will get $20 million a year so it was good to trade him but that IT won't get a max...

IT is gonna get ridiculous annual numbers... he just won't get 4 years on the open market unless he wants to sacrifice a little each year.

I never said that he wouldn't get the Lowry type of contract. Heck, that's what I'm expecting him to get.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-11-2017, 11:00 PM
The NBA did nothing to freeze the cap and it had little impact on middle class free agents.

1: TV revenue was lower than expected, so the cap didn't jump to the $105 mil that some thought it could.

2: The large contracts handed out last year meant teams had less cap room than last year.

3: FA always has a rush on the top 10-20 FA, a week of dull period, then another uptick as things settle.

4: Again the stupidity of team throwing around money is what hurt them, not the NBA doing much with the cap.

This is exactly why the NBA offered cap smoothing with the players too. But the players ignored it and told the NBA to shove it. Now only 1 FA class gets the windfall while the following classes feel the hurt of it. NBA players are stupid.

1. http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-lowers-2017-18-cap-projection-to-102-million/

The lower revenue caused the cap to shrink from 102 to 99.

2. I alluded to that in my post.

3. I don't know the exact numbers on all of this, but I remember seeing a tweet on July 2nd or 3rd saying that 40-something free agents had agreed to a deal by that point and that it was only around the 20s this year.

4. Again, exactly my point.

And for the "little impact" on middle class free agents point you made. Check out this excerpt from Zach Lowe's article grading free agency winners and losers from last week.

Last summer, almost the entire league had an easy route to $20 million-plus in cap room. Next summer, we could enter free agency with only three or four teams hoarding that much space. Last summer's spending orgy, amid a one-time-only mega-spike in the cap, soaked up more of this season's space than anyone expected -- especially when the league's projected cap fell from $107 million a year ago, to $101 million, and then finally to $99 million. (The league's most recent projection for the 2018-19 season, sent to teams last week, sits at $102 million, per league sources -- a tiny uptick.)

Imagine being Patrick Patterson. You watch your bench partner, Bismack Biyombo, an inferior player, sign for $17 million per season last summer to be a backup. You smile, knowing your payday is coming. Then free agency starts, the limited cap room dries up, and you sign for less than $17 million combined over three seasons.

The failure of the union and league to agree on a cap-smoothing proposal benefited one group of free agents -- last summer's class -- at the expense of almost everyone else. We are now back in the old, forgotten cap environment, where room is sparse. Even teams that look cheap now -- the Hawks, Kazoos (after their ludicrous Tim Hardaway Jr. offer sheet), Kings, Mavs, and Magic (with potential extensions for Elfrid Payton and Aaron Gordon) -- could spend themselves out of max cap space for next summer's derby over the next days and months. (The Hawks were willing to offer Hardaway a four-year deal in the $48 million range, league sources said. The Knicks blew that out of the water with a four-year, $71 million monstrosity.)

Player options for 2018-19 that looked sure to be rejected are more tempting now for a heap of guys: Austin Rivers, Kosta Koufos, Wesley Matthews, Garrett Temple, and many more. A rash of opt-ins would put more teams up against it.

The consequences ripple in every direction. Almost a dozen quality restricted free agents sit untouched, their reps crossing their fingers that Atlanta, Indiana or Brooklyn -- once the Wizards match on Otto Porter -- comes calling. Members of the 2014 draft class, up for extensions now, face a barren landscape if they chance it in free agency next summer. Do they settle for extensions below their now-outdated expectations? Do their teams play hard ball, daring them to gamble in a year? How did that work out for Utah and Hayward?

The Celtics are eyeing all of this, confident they can retain Thomas on a deal well below his max.

The disappearance of cap room should empower the few who will have it. Most of those teams are bad, with Utah, San Antonio and even Houston (if the Chris Paul experiment fails) lurking as exceptions. Stars don't go to bad teams unless they can join up -- a rare double the Lakers clearly believe they have in the bag. Will everyone else blow room now on extensions and salary dumps -- as the Hawks just did by effectively paying $17 million in Jamal Crawford salary for a bad first-round pick and Diamond Stone?

Meet the new NBA, same as the old NBA.

Teams will have to get more creative, and perhaps take on more risk, in swaps of players making big money over multiple years. Internal development matters more than ever; teams can go over the cap to re-sign their own players, and for most of the league, that will be the most accessible path to improvement. Expiring contracts will regain some of the trade value they lost.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19874801/zach-lowe-nba-free-agency-winners-losers

More-Than-Most
07-13-2017, 08:44 PM
this is why I said Ainge is a tool... He is scared to make the move needed to put them over the top and just cut out the celtics knees from under them... You cant just keep waiting for Brown/Tatum and next years players to pan out when you are already in a position for success... You have a guy who can ball offensively but hinders the team so very badly on defense as your best player and he is about to get a max and will take nothing less than a max and that now limits you going forward... You should have taken fultz and traded IT for a PG13 or a butler in some type of package... It takes balls to do this because he is loved but that is a GMs job and now ainge did what ainge does... He is scared to make any type of deal and over values his prospects/picks and takes nothing less than a rape like deal.... IT making the max hurts the celtics more than you guys realize because of the type of team it takes to hide him against good teams... Defensive depth is a massive key to success against teams like the cavs/warriors and the celtics will lose that defensive depth when they lock him down long term... Hayward is nothing to write home about on defense... Now bradley your best defensive player is gone and you might end up losing smart but yo you still have guys in their JR year of highschool that will def pan out and eventually put you guys over the hump... Ainge sat on his hands way to long with all those so called assets and the nuclear effect is about to take place and that is a max contract to a 1 dimensional player in IT who loves the ISO ball and cant play a lick of defense and needs to be hidden for the team to have any type of playoff success.

GREATNESS ONE
07-13-2017, 08:49 PM
What?

The move still has time to be judged but trading down to 3 and nabbing Tatum + getting an extra pick is a great move.

eDush
07-13-2017, 09:08 PM

You're so clueless buddy! From basketball to life...Well our players never talks like that so how would i know what it means which is why I ask but I guess I could have googled it like you did.
:shrug:

And I wouldn't want any players who brags like that....it's not the Dubs way!
:no:

GREATNESS ONE
07-13-2017, 09:15 PM
:laugh2: what would you know about the Dubs way? You barely joined their fanbase! How embarrassing!