PDA

View Full Version : Time to let the best 16 teams in the playoffs

mudvayne387
07-07-2017, 01:56 PM
It's time to get rid of conferences and divisions. The NBA has evolved to the point where divisional rivalries mean very little.

The best 16 out of 30 teams make the playoffs.

Balance the schedule. It will take some work but it can be done. There is enough time in between playoff games for rest as it is.

1v16
2v15
etc...

Change the first round back to 5 games if you'd like.

warfelg
07-07-2017, 02:08 PM
This would be so hard to get the owners to agree too. Playoff revenue is too important.

IKnowHoops
07-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Check another box for Lebron's GOAT career.

Making rule changes because of his dominance

COOLbeans
07-07-2017, 02:54 PM
The truth of the matter is, a lot of the divisions and conferences were created when teams didn't charter planes and weren't making hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue each year. They use to travel by bus, and most of the time didn't fly on private planes.

This is an outdated way to manage the league, and they can afford to fly more frequently across the country. Best 16 teams would resurrect this league from the current state.

SteBO
07-07-2017, 03:38 PM

Don't flatter yourself......his competition has been less than average, and that's putting it lightly. This coming year will be even worse than normal.

IKnowHoops
07-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Don't flatter yourself......his competition has been less than average, and that's putting it lightly. This coming year will be even worse than normal.

?

Is my name Lebron James?
What you said makes zero sense guy.
I have nothing to do with Lebrons dominance on this league.

PS replace Bron with any other player and there is no crazy dominance and nobody cares and the rule isn't even a thought so your wrong on both counts young padawon.

SteBO
07-07-2017, 03:48 PM
What I said makes all the sense in the world guy. The rest of Easts poor management contributes to LBJ's reign.

This thread wouldn't exist if the West and East were evenly leveled. After 2013, the East has gotten worse. I'm talking to a kid, so I dunno why I even bothered.....

aman_13
07-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Too many complications. Won't happen anytime soon.

Bostonjorge
07-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Cavs would of had the 5th seed. If the season was changed to you play everyone 3 times then who knows how lower the Cavs would of been having to play the Warriors and Spurs and the rest of the west 14 more times combined. As the 5th seed they lose to the Warriors 4-1 early in the playoffs.

Scoots
07-07-2017, 07:45 PM

Or check that box for the **** GMs and owners in the East. All LeBron did was take advantage.

warfelg
07-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Hardest part about playing everyone 3 times:
You can't balance home v away.

Won't happen. No way teams would want to lose the revenue if good teams won't visit enough.

Add in potential loss of playoff revenue.

All in all it's a short sighted answer for a problem that isn't long term.

rhino17
07-07-2017, 08:56 PM
If that happened I think the East would at best get 4-5 spots.

LOb0
07-07-2017, 09:21 PM
No thanks. Just don't ******* up on the next CBA and have all the small market teams lose their best players due to a cap spike.

burtgummer
07-07-2017, 09:41 PM

GOAT ? Um not even close to MJ Obviously you're just another ignorant Bron Bron fanboy

nastynice
07-12-2017, 03:27 AM
?

Is my name Lebron James?
What you said makes zero sense guy.
I have nothing to do with Lebrons dominance on this league.

PS replace Bron with any other player and there is no crazy dominance and nobody cares and the rule isn't even a thought so your wrong on both counts young padawon.

Replace lebron with any other player and the west is just that much better, meaning the rule change is considered even more.

I don't think you're thinking this one all the way thru, lol

Twolves88
07-12-2017, 04:38 AM
It wont happen. The nba is finally growing again in popularity with silver running the show. Why risk such a drastic change up?

Saddletramp
07-12-2017, 05:22 AM
Hardest part about playing everyone 3 times:
You can't balance home v away.

Won't happen. No way teams would want to lose the revenue if good teams won't visit enough.

Add in potential loss of playoff revenue.

All in all it's a short sighted answer for a problem that isn't long term.

They would alternate years I'm assuming. But yeah, this won't happen for a long time if it ever does.

LA4life24/8
07-12-2017, 09:35 AM
I would love for this to happen. Except maybe not as drastically. Maybe still keep 8 from east and 8 from west but order them 1 thru 16 and have it work out that way.
That way east still gets is representation in the playoffs.

Prolly wont happen im sure but i think its a good idea. No more lebron coasting to the finals in the east lol.

jaydubb
07-12-2017, 11:12 AM
I like the idea but it'll never happen. Owners won't vote for that.

Besides, the nba doesn't want it to happen anyway.. They prefer that LeBron doesn't break a sweat until he gets to the NBA finals

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Scoots
07-12-2017, 11:37 AM
I like the idea but it'll never happen. Owners won't vote for that.

Besides, the nba doesn't want it to happen anyway.. They prefer that LeBron doesn't break a sweat until he gets to the NBA finals

The Cavs tanked to avoid Washington ... if it was top 16 teams would the Cavs try to tank to avoid any West team?

LA4life24/8
07-12-2017, 12:12 PM
The Cavs tanked to avoid Washington ... if it was top 16 teams would the Cavs try to tank to avoid any West team?

Golden State. Lebron and co would figure out exactly what seed they would need to go thru the playoffs to reach dubs in the finals and i guarantee thats what place theyd finish. The nba would help em with that too im sure

What seed would that be #8? #9? Theyd be there for sure.

AllBall
07-12-2017, 09:29 PM
The twitter generation will never realize how STACKED the East was from 88-98. A decade of pure dominance and madness in the East. The league goes through decade long cycles. NBA won't change a damn thing. This too shall pass.

Chronz
07-12-2017, 10:50 PM
The twitter generation will never realize how STACKED the East was from 88-98. A decade of pure dominance and madness in the East. The league goes through decade long cycles. NBA won't change a damn thing. This too shall pass.

Why settle for cycles when we can have a constance of great playoffs

rhino17
07-12-2017, 10:59 PM

I haven't looked at the numbers in terms of matchups but I find that hard to believe. Hakeem's Rockets, Stockton + Malone Jazz, Barkley's Suns, Robinson's Spurs, Payton+Kemp Sonics, Clyde's Blazers, and Magic's Lakers were all in that time period. All great western conference teams. All of those teams had MVPs, hall of famers, and finals appearances.

TylerSL
07-12-2017, 11:16 PM
This is reallly a dumb notion. The Eastern owners just need to get better management. THE BULLS AND PACERS GOT FLEECED FOR THE STARS!!! Jimmie Butler was traded for .50 cents on the dollar and Paul George was traded for less. People need to stop crying about the West and the East needs to get better at management.

TrueFan420
07-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Golden State. Lebron and co would figure out exactly what seed they would need to go thru the playoffs to reach dubs in the finals and i guarantee thats what place theyd finish. The nba would help em with that too im sure

What seed would that be #8? #9? Theyd be there for sure.
The 2 seed

TrueFan420
07-13-2017, 12:26 AM

The NBA most likely won't change a thing but if they were truly interested in putting the best show on for everyone they'd put the best 16 teams in the playoffs.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-13-2017, 03:43 AM
If they balanced schedules, they could kill two birds with one stone. Not only would the best teams get in the playoffs and produce the best matchups. But they could reduce the travel by having a mini two game home stand vs their opponents. This might eliminate guys from saying they need to rest.

If every team played 24 teams three times, and 5 teams twice, you would have a much more balanced schedule. They would obviously have to rotate years as far as who gets the two home games. And they would have to rotate which 5 teams they play only twice. I assume they would go by the current division structure to bunch those cities up. Like Pacific division will play the south east division teams only twice for the next 2 years, and change to a new division after that.

I think it would be best if Boston played the Warriors at Oakland twice next year, they would just stay there for a couple days rather than leaving and having to burn unnecessary fuel to get back there a few months later. They save in travel cost, as well as keeping players fresher, which has been a point of contention for the players recently.

That way, nobody could ever slight a guy/team again for having it easy.

AllBall
07-13-2017, 08:43 AM
I haven't looked at the numbers in terms of matchups but I find that hard to believe. Hakeem's Rockets, Stockton + Malone Jazz, Barkley's Suns, Robinson's Spurs, Payton+Kemp Sonics, Clyde's Blazers, and Magic's Lakers were all in that time period. All great western conference teams. All of those teams had MVPs, hall of famers, and finals appearances.

Yep, the West had 1 or 2 relevant teams at a time. Just like the East does now.

rhino17
07-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Yep, the West had 1 or 2 relevant teams at a time. Just like the East does now.

I just listed like 10 teams. Houston, Phoenix, Seattle, San Antonio, and Utah were all the exact same time.

The east had the bulls, the knicks, and the pistons for the early part of that time period

1996-1998 were the ONLY 2 seasons in that time period where the east had more 50 win teams than the west. And in 1997-1998, the west had 3 60 win teams, while the east had 1

jaydubb
07-13-2017, 11:09 AM
I think it wouldn't matter. In a 16 team format there's a pretty good chance regardless of seed that in round 2 and/or 3 the cavs would face a good west team like OKC or spurs or rockets and then go on to play the warriors for the finals. I think it'd make things harder and more competitive for all teams involved, especially the east no doubt.

I still don't think owners would get a majority vote for it though

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

AllBall
07-13-2017, 11:17 AM
I just listed like 10 teams. Houston, Phoenix, Seattle, San Antonio, and Utah were all the exact same time.

The east had the bulls, the knicks, and the pistons for the early part of that time period

1996-1998 were the ONLY 2 seasons in that time period where the east had more 50 win teams than the west. And in 1997-1998, the west had 3 60 win teams, while the east had 1

The East had the bulk of the dominant players. Just like the West does now. Seriously, I don't see how this is even an argument. The point is, that cycle too was broken.

rhino17
07-13-2017, 11:25 AM
The East had the bulk of the dominant players. Just like the West does now. Seriously, I don't see how this is even an argument. The point is, that cycle too was broken.

That obviously wasn't the case, as I said almost all the teams I listed for the west had a league MVP on it. Every MVP in that era not named Michael Jordan was from the west. The all-nba teams were still more West than East.

kobe4thewinbang
07-14-2017, 09:59 PM
Keep conferences and divisions but YES to the best record 16 teams making the cut. It would be west-heavy for sure but good teams miss the cut in the west and it ain't right. It would make for more exciting first rounds.

nastynice
07-15-2017, 02:12 AM

haha, what? The west was savage during the 90's, there was no eastern conference dominance. To be honest, soon as Jordan left chicago, the east just fell off. I remember one of the finals was vs the nets (sry nets fans), but that's when the gimmes started coming along from the east. WCF basically started becoming the finals til the Pistons thankfully finally came up. Pacers were actually pretty good too at that time.

cmellofan15
07-15-2017, 02:58 AM
LMAO do you guys realize the East and West would have had the same amount of teams last season? with Portland getting in because they beat the Heat twice without Dion Waiters... 8-18 without him last season BTW.