PDA

View Full Version : The Boston Celtics/Jae Crowder situation

HandsOnTheWheel
07-07-2017, 12:18 PM
What are they gonna do with this guy? He felt disrespected by Celtics fans for chanting Hayward's name in a home game last season and recently they had a chance to trade him, but instead trade Bradley for the necessary cap relief. What are some good trades for the guy and which team can you see trading for him? (assuming he does get traded)

corky831
07-07-2017, 12:22 PM
They plan to keep him per Adam Himmelsbach. Which is a smart move IMO. He has great value as a 2-way player, and a great contract for the next 3 yrs. Celtics now have leverage with trades involving him since they were able to get under the cap with the AB trade. So if the right trade came along, I believe they would pounce, but if it's for fair value. Stevens has admitted that it's a positionless game now, with ball handlers, wings, and bigs....we are short on bigs, but plan to play Zizic and bring over Yabu to help most likely at PF. Still have the room exception (approx. 4 mil) to add in free agency

Celticsfan2007
07-07-2017, 12:24 PM
What are they gonna do with this guy? He felt disrespected by Celtics fans for chanting Hayward's name in a home game last season and recently they had a chance to trade him, but instead trade Bradley for the necessary cap relief. What are some good trades for the guy and which team can you see trading for him? (assuming he does get traded)

He's not getting traded. He a glue guy on a great deal.

The only way I see him getting moved is in a larger deal to bring back another star.

IT/Smart
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Crowder
Morris/Tatum
Horford/Zizic

Plenty of MPG to go around after the AB deal.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Adam Himmelsbach: Hearing that the Celtics have no intention of trading Jae Crowder. They’re excited about lineup possibilities.

Hmm

Edit- ^yeah, just saw the tweet.

BoSox47
07-07-2017, 12:32 PM

He felt disrespected because he thought Hayward was going to be his replacement. Hes signed to the team for 3 more seasons and the Celtics looks dedicated to playing a small ball approach with Crowder potentially splitting time at the 4 with Morris.

Possibly another deal could be made but I think its more likely that Celtics try a vet minimum type of deal for a rebounder that can play 15-20 minutes in certain situations.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 12:47 PM
A good trade offer can change things but I think they'll keep him. BOS has a lot of guys who you'd call natural SFs but there's a lot of versatility to play SG of PF. I know last year Crowder and Brown each played/defended 2s, 3s and 4s at different times. Morris has played both F spots before. Hayward has played 2 and 4 before for stretches. Tatum is a rookie so it's early to say what he can or can't do but he projects to be able to play both F spots. Even Smart has defended 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s before.

Offensively, I'm not worried. Any combination of these guys Stevens will make work. Defensively, I'm not concerned either about being "SF heavy". I do have questions of how good our defense is overall, particularly needing to cover for IT and having no strong rim protector, but those concerns are outside of the SF logjam. It'll all be matchup based. You can see Hayward/Crowder/Morris playing SG/SF/PF one night defending in that order and then the next you could see the same 3 guys defending in reverse order position wise. That part of it will all be matchup based.

SoxPatsCeltsBs
07-07-2017, 12:57 PM
I think they'll still trade him. The Celtics were handcuffed on what they could ask for in a return for Bradley, Crowder or Smart. Now that they fit the cap space for Hayward it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Ainge spread word that the Celtics were excited about lineups, etc only to increase offers. It's all about press manipulation.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Read on twitter Celtics looking for a Big man yet.

bleedprple&gold
07-07-2017, 01:16 PM
They may keep him. They are clearly trying to copy Golden St loading up on versatile wings.

The comparisons aren't perfect but:
IT = Curry
Hayward = Thompson
Tatum = KD
Morris = Green
Crowder = Iguodala
Brown = Livingston
Smart = McCaw

eDush
07-07-2017, 01:33 PM
They may keep him. They are clearly trying to copy Golden St loading up on versatile wings.

The comparisons aren't perfect but:
IT = Curry
Hayward = Thompson
Tatum = KD
Morris = Green
Crowder = Iguodala
Brown = Livingston
Smart = McCawBradley is more like Klay than 'I'm just so so on D' Hayward:nod:

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Bradley is more like Klay than 'I'm just so so on D' Hayward:nod:

Bradley is a much better defensive player than Klay and far worse offensively. Hayward is a much closer comparison...Klay is just better.

eDush
07-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Bradley is more like Klay than 'I'm just so so on D' Hayward:nod:

Bradley is a much better defensive player than Klay and far worse offensively. Hayward is a much closer comparison...Klay is just better.Klay is more of a defensive stopper now that he doesn't need to concentrate on scoring as we don't need him to score to win anymore (unless u don't follow the Dubs so you didn't know) but Bradley is much much better than Hayward on D even though he is just better than Klay on D but not much better like you are claiming and Boston will miss him but they need scoring more then Bradley's defense as we have seen but I would have find a team to dump both Smart and Crowder in order to keep him for even one season if they want to beat the Cavs, trust me :nod:

ewing
07-07-2017, 03:01 PM

why are you making such a big deal of him not liking his fans chanting for a guy on the other team. Seems like it doesn't matter.

eDush
07-07-2017, 03:04 PM

why are you making such a big deal of him not liking his fans chanting for a guy on the other team. Seems like it doesn't matter.I agree as some players/fans seem so over sensitive to such minor incidence or is it just a Patriots thing.
:shrug:

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Klay is more of a defensive stopper now that he doesn't need to concentrate on scoring as we don't need him to score to win anymore (unless u don't follow the Dubs so you didn't know) but Bradley is much much better than Hayward on D even though he is just better than Klay on D but not much better like you are claiming and Boston will miss him but they need scoring more then Bradley's defense as we have seen but I would have find a team to dump both Smart and Crowder in order to keep him for even one season if they want to beat the Cavs, trust me :nod:

Trust you? Who are you? The Dubs GM?

Smart was a better defender last year for us than Bradley. Not to mention Bradley is ALWAYS hurt for extended periods.

NAH I'll keep Smart and Crowder over Bradley for the foreseeable future.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-07-2017, 03:54 PM
why are you making such a big deal of him not liking his fans chanting for a guy on the other team. Seems like it doesn't matter.

Clearly it does to some.

ewing
07-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Clearly it does to some.

YEAH YOU :confused:

HandsOnTheWheel
07-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Klay is more of a defensive stopper now that he doesn't need to concentrate on scoring as we don't need him to score to win anymore (unless u don't follow the Dubs so you didn't know) but Bradley is much much better than Hayward on D even though he is just better than Klay on D but not much better like you are claiming and Boston will miss him but they need scoring more then Bradley's defense as we have seen but I would have find a team to dump both Smart and Crowder in order to keep him for even one season if they want to beat the Cavs, trust me :nod:

This guy's a riot :)

HandsOnTheWheel
07-07-2017, 03:57 PM
How long were you lurking around waiting to respond to that? Jeez lol

eDush
07-07-2017, 04:33 PM

Trust you? Who are you? The Dubs GM?

Smart was a better defender last year for us than Bradley. Not to mention Bradley is ALWAYS hurt for extended periods.

NAH I'll keep Smart and Crowder over Bradley for the foreseeable future.AB is a more reliable (and I am being modest here cause it's really not close) shooter from mid or trey, even clutch like at times and a more polished player while MS is more of a slashing scorer. His shots looks like Klay in a bad slump last year but MS was like that all season other then a game here or there. AB is the better defender and the best 2 way player on the team while MS defense is more like Westy taking risk in stealing the ball imo. Yes I would dump both MS and JC to keep AB for one more season and try to convince him to take less than his market value since he wants to remain like our KD if I was their GM instead plus I would have kept the top pick and selected Fultz :nod:

And if I was the Dubs GM, I would NOT have sign a Swaggy P and would have drafted Zubac instead of Jones last season. I also wanted us to keep Klay over Love due to his 2 way abilities even on a straight up trade when most Dubs fans would've jump at a straight up offer but Minny also wanted Barnes to be included as rumored at the time. However, I still love Myers as our GM and wouldn't want anyone else to replace him and certainly not Ainge.

:flag:No I'm not a NBA GM but just a dumb fan :(

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 04:40 PM
Bradley is the best on-ball defender at Guard in the NBA IMO. He's better at it than Smart. However, Smart is still an elite guard defender with the added ability to guard wings and even bigs for spurts. So I prefer Smart overall as a defender for that versatility. But while Smart is an ATROCIOUS offensive player, Bradley is a solid one.

Scoots
07-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Smart has that junkyard dog in him ... and I'm not sure a lot of the other remaining Celtics have it. Still, losing ABs brutal man D on a wing player in the modern NBA sucks.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-07-2017, 09:53 PM
You tell that guy he needs to suck it up.

Oakmont_4
07-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Smart has that junkyard dog in him ... and I'm not sure a lot of the other remaining Celtics have it. Still, losing ABs brutal man D on a wing player in the modern NBA sucks.

Smart is definitely a bull dog. Everything he does on the court shows it, even when he shoots. Just no touch or finesse to his game. It can be very good at times, but when he gets carried away and is over aggressive it hurts him.

Losing AB's on ball defense undoubtedly hurts. When he's on top of his game, I think he's the best on ball defender in the NBA. The problem is...He gets hurt often and missed stretches of the season and playoffs every year. He can be inconsistent on O and D. When he's dialed in, he could probably be a top 15 player if he did it night in and night out. When he's not dialed in, he's a very average player.

He had some great games this post season, but other times he completely disappeared. Either game 4 or 5, can't remember which, but AB got absolutely destroyed by Kyrie. We had complete control of the first half and then Kyrie took CLE over the finish line and exposed Bradley for 2 straight quarters to close the game out. That was completely disappointing to me coming from a guy who I considered the best on ball defender in the NBA. Yes, Kyrie is a top G in the NBA, but the best on ball defender in the NBA (if you want that title) doesn't let Kyrie or really anyone (save LBJ or KD) do that to them.

That was one specific game, but if you watched AB over the course of the entire season, games like that were happening more than they had ever happened to him in his career. His numbers prove that he wasn't as good as the prior year. He's definitely starting to slip. Still a GREAT defender, but there was a reason he didn't make first team all NBA D. He didn't deserve it this year. Beverly was better.

The signs of slippage. His contract status. And our roster construction were the factors that lead to this trade. I'm ok with it. I wanted to see AB go before anyone else despite being a big AB fan. More for who he is as a person, a leader and his effort than his actual skill or talent. But he's a true Celtic, I'll miss him, but it was a necessary move.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-08-2017, 08:55 AM
So the Celtics playing a lot of small ball this season or what? Only 48 minutes per position. They seem to have a log jam at the wings. I'm sure Hayward will want 35 to 40 minutes a game. Then you still got Crowder, Smart, Tatum, Brown. Since we see what Hayward got. Do the Celtics have the cap to sign IT next year? Damn Hayward/Horford combo is like darn near $60M per.

PAOboston
07-08-2017, 09:02 AM
So the Celtics playing a lot of small ball this season or what? Only 48 minutes per position. They seem to have a log jam at the wings. I'm sure Hayward will want 35 to 40 minutes a game. Then you still got Crowder, Smart, Tatum, Brown. Since we see what Hayward got. Do the Celtics have the cap to sign IT next year? Damn Hayward/Horford combo is like darn near $60M per.
Stevens loves going small. I'd expect it to continue this year, hence the loading up on wings.

Zero chance Hayward plays 35 to 40 mins a game with how Stevens rotates players. For example, IT averaged around 33 last year and that's with him being the only legit scorer on the team.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Scoots
07-08-2017, 10:08 AM
I'm sure Stevens is going to try to keep all of his players under 35 minutes, and chances are only a few will get close to 35.

daleja424
07-08-2017, 11:51 AM
They need to keep him. Team friendly deal and could be a heck of a great small ball 4 in a pace an space lineup (although they should have moved Bradley sooner so they could retain KO for that exact purpose).

hugepatsfan
07-08-2017, 06:24 PM
They need to keep him. Team friendly deal and could be a heck of a great small ball 4 in a pace an space lineup (although they should have moved Bradley sooner so they could retain KO for that exact purpose).

Olynyk is a 5, not a 4. He gets abused out on the perimeter. He needs to be paired with a mobile big.

In order to keep KO we'd have to had straight salary dumped AB and Rozier. So it came down to Rozier/Morris at $7M/year for 2 years or KO at 4 years, $12.5M per. I like wheat we ended up with better but neither is really that much better than the other IMO.

Federal Reserve
07-08-2017, 06:28 PM
How can a team that was given a gift of a millennium still be running two point guards who are under 6'0'' and a center who can't jump or defend? You can't make this stuff up.

bagwell368
07-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Bradley is the best on-ball defender at Guard in the NBA IMO. He's better at it than Smart. However, Smart is still an elite guard defender with the added ability to guard wings and even bigs for spurts. So I prefer Smart overall as a defender for that versatility. But while Smart is an ATROCIOUS offensive player, Bradley is a solid one.

The 8% of the time he's motivated to show he can play elite D maybe. But as he's become more of an offensive player his great all world D takes a major back seat much of the time.

His DWS marks are good, but his OWS and WS48 numbers indicate that he's a below average player. Worse in the playoffs. Oft injured too.

bagwell368
07-10-2017, 09:47 PM
How can a team that was given a gift of a millennium still be running two point guards who are under 6'0'' and a center who can't jump or defend? You can't make this stuff up.

Would you care to specify?