PDA

View Full Version : Celtics trade Avery Bradley for Marcus Morris!

leprechaun5
07-07-2017, 09:57 AM
per Shams and Woj

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:00 AM

The clear cut best between Crowder Smart and himself.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:02 AM
I think the Pistons make the playoffs but I'm not sure what their team is going to look like yet. Apparently Jackson and Drummond have been on the market so who knows?

The Celtics got worse here but at least they added a tough minded player like Marcus Morris in the deal.

leprechaun5
I wanted Crowder ahead of Bradley to go, but I guess more moves are coming!

THE MTL
I personally think the Celtics should have tried its hardest to keep Avery Bradley and trade the other two.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Also, how much salary does this save the Celtics this year? Does another move need to be made before the Hayward signing?

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 10:04 AM
I like it.

Clears enough for Hayward and we get a useful player at a needed position.

Roster reset

PG Thomas/Rozier
SG Smart/Brown
SF Hayward/Tatum
PF Morris/Ojeleye
C Horford/Zizic

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 10:05 AM
I personally think the Celtics should have tried its hardest to keep Avery Bradley and trade the other two.

Bradley wasn't going to be re-signed. He made the most sense to move.

rocket
07-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Celtics fans you will like Marcus Morris a lot

tp13baby
07-07-2017, 10:06 AM
3.8 mil this year. Another cheap year for Morris after. I don't believe they need to make any more moves. Puts them at the 99 mil mark exactly. Not sure how the roster looks but they are at the cap.

GiantsSwaGG
07-07-2017, 10:07 AM
I like it.

Roster reset

PG Thomas/Rozier
SG Smart/Brown
SF Hayward/Tatum
PF Morris/Ojeleye
C Horford/Zizic

Morris is not a 4, the Celtics will get DESTROYED in the paint as usually

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Important for future trades. I suggested sending AB to OKC for Singlet and a pick that way we'd have his salary to match in trades next year. Morris fits the bill except actually being a good player.

Look for Jaylen Brown to start at SG like he didn't when AB was hurt. Team also seems fully committed to small ball lineups for extended stretches... unless another shoe involving Crowder is gonna drop.

Basketball aside it sucks to see Bradley go. Great player, great person. I really hope he gets the chance to do his thing on a title contender. He never got to play the ECF back vs MIA when we were fighting to extend our window back in 2012. He only got last years fake contender. Wish him the best.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:08 AM
I like it.

Roster reset

PG Thomas/Rozier
SG Smart/Brown
SF Hayward/Tatum
PF Morris/Ojeleye
C Horford/Zizic

No Crowder? I figured it would be:

IT
Hayward
Crowder
Morris
Horford

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Morris is not a 4, the Celtics will get DESTROYED in the paint as usually

Positionless basketball

Oakmont_4
No Crowder? I figured it would be:

IT
Hayward
Crowder
Morris
Horford

Forgot him, but I still think he's a goner.

WaDe03
Positionless basketball

Yep, a lot of teams are going this way in the near future. Spo said he may play 5 guys 6'9 and over at the same time next year and force teams to adjust.

Vinylman
07-07-2017, 10:11 AM
great deal for Detroit... morris is nothing special and if need be they can easily flip Bradley at the deadline for a first rounder since he is so cheap.

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Sucks they had to trade Bradley, but I do love the Morris pickup.

mavwar53
07-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Awful, the Celtics are going away from their strengths, defense, toughness and hustle.

Wizards are a better team, IT should have been the one traded, way overvalued.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Awful, the Celtics are going away from their strengths, defense, toughness and hustle.

Wizards are a better team, IT should have been the one traded, way overvalued.

They're thin at PG and need his scoring and attention he draws.

Vinylman
07-07-2017, 10:16 AM
What is amazing to me is that Hayward is demanding a max and is forcing them under the gun to trade a guy so he can make an extra $350k in year one of a deal...

mind ******* boggling

GiantsSwaGG
07-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Why not trade for Drummond?

eDush
07-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Bradley wasn't going to be re-signed. He made the most sense to move.While Smart and Crowder will be resigned?!?

They just can't resign all 3 besides ur just speculating it's Bradley they won't resigned as he was the best of the 3 by far and it's about beating the Cavs. They have his bird rights :nod:

If he was the only one able to fetch Morris, then I would accept that argument, NOT that he wasn't going to be resigned argument.
:no:

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Putting their faith in the young guys it seems.

eDush
07-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Why not trade for Drummond?It would take Tatum, Horford on top of Bradley to get Drummond. Not just Bradley alone :crazy:

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Looks like they're trading Crowder too. They may offset the Hayward signing at this rate lol.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:28 AM
IT really had an effect against the Cavs right?

They're not getting there without him right?

mavwar53
07-07-2017, 10:29 AM
They're thin at PG and need his scoring and attention he draws.

GiantsSwaGG
07-07-2017, 10:33 AM
O'Quinn for Crowder

WaDe03
O'Quinn for Crowder

Are you trying to Ainge, Ainge?!

mavwar53
No Bradley, Olynyk and maybe no Crowder.

This team is soft now, dough boy soft.

AntiG
07-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Also, how much salary does this save the Celtics this year? Does another move need to be made before the Hayward signing?

3.8 million, and Morris is still only 5.375 million next year as well, while Bradley's contract expires and he'll be looking for a big contract.

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Morris is far from soft.

ewing
07-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Yep, a lot of teams are going this way in the near future. Spo said he may play 5 guys 6'9 and over at the same time next year and force teams to adjust.

Positionless or not some rim protection and rebounding help especially when you have a 5'8 pg. I am IT's biggest defender in here but not having any rim protection exposes him big time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Positionless or not some rim protection and rebounding help especially when you have a 5'8 pg. I am IT's biggest defender in here but not having any rim protection exposes him big time

I think they should've went after Whiteside in a trade or maybe even Drummond who is rumored to be on the block.

BostonBoy
07-07-2017, 10:40 AM

Olynyk might be the softest player in the NBA....

corky831
07-07-2017, 10:41 AM
The smart move to make. AB was not going to be resigned next yr. We couldn't afford him next yr and it helped us get under the cap. Keeping Jae for now is smarter, because he has one of the best contracts in the NBA for the next 3 yrs. The league knew the Celtics had to get under the cap, and were not giving fair compensation for a player of Crowders capabilities and his great contract. But dumping AB, we can keep Jae for depth at his contract, or wait for the right deal to come because we don't need to get rid of him now. We will have like 4.3 million now to sign someone too. Crawford was a name mentioned if he gets released by the hawks

Ahriman
Does that make KCP expendable for the Pistons?

GiantsSwaGG

Olynyk is baby poop soft

Oakmont_4
While Smart and Crowder will be resigned?!?

They just can't resign all 3 besides ur just speculating it's Bradley they won't resigned as he was the best of the 3 by far and it's about beating the Cavs. They have his bird rights :nod:

If he was the only one able to fetch Morris, then I would accept that argument, NOT that he wasn't going to be resigned argument.
:no:

Crowder is under contract for cheap for 3 more years...

Smart will command $10-12M

Bradley 18-20+...

No brainer...

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Yeah...cause he was out the majority of the series haha. You watched though right?

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Apparently the Celtics are targeting Dedmon in FA now. S&T Crowder to the Spurs for him?

corky831
07-07-2017, 10:44 AM
That'd be great to get dedmon

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Apparently the Celtics are targeting Dedmon in FA now. S&T Crowder to the Spurs for him?

All for that

Vee-Rex
07-07-2017, 10:50 AM
We all saw this coming. AB was the 2nd best Celtics player IMO (prior to Hayward) and he's gonna get a nice paycheck. I do like Marcus Morris and think he's an upgrade. Ainge is making the necessary moves.

Overall, I'm still kinda bummed that they didn't get Butler last year with these very same pieces that they're trading to clear space for Hayward. Yes, it would've taken some salary cap gymnastics to clear room for Hayward but I think he'd be much more likely to sign for slightly less than the max if he was coming to a team with IT and Butler instead of just IT.

mavwar53
07-07-2017, 10:55 AM
C's finish 4th in east this year, out in 2nd round. Raptors (not a fan of them), Wiz and of course Cavs are all better suited for winning than the Celtics.

Tatum isn't ready for NBA yet, Brown is but wildly erratic. Horford gets slower as the years go by, Morris...ehh, IT to small to matter in playoffs and Hayward isn't going to make up for their losses.

No edge to this team, not sure what Ainge was thinking.

Just one mans opinion but I stand by it.

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 10:56 AM
We all saw this coming. AB was the 2nd best Celtics player IMO (prior to Hayward) and he's gonna get a nice paycheck. I do like Marcus Morris and think he's an upgrade. Ainge is making the necessary moves.

Overall, I'm still kinda bummed that they didn't get Butler last year with these very same pieces that they're trading to clear space for Hayward. Yes, it would've taken some salary cap gymnastics to clear room for Hayward but I think he'd be much more likely to sign for slightly less than the max if he was coming to a team with IT and Butler instead of just IT.

CHI wanted either Brown or the BRK pick (#1) + a starter. So not exactly the scenario you're stating here. I still wouldn't have done it. We're competing now, but our future is beyond with Brown/Tatum/BRK pick/LAL/SAC pick

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Would we need to s&T? Or use MLE money?

We won't have the MLE, only the Room Exception ($4M) - that won't be enough to get Dedmon.

Probably is a S&T with Crowder or Smart.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-07-2017, 10:57 AM
All for that

Would we need to s&T? Or use MLE money?

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Big thing here for me is contract. Let's say we moved Crowder. We'd have to take back a guy making like $2M or less, if any salary at all. So next year we'd have:

Hayward/Horford on max deals.
Bird rights on IT/AB/Smart
Tatum/Brown on rookie deals making decent money (like $6-7M)
Rozier making like $3M
The BRK pick and potentially the LAL pick making somewhere between like $4M-$7M each depending on where they land
A bunch of other rookie contract guys

Let's say hypothetically that you worked out a deal for someone like Marc Gasol and they said ok, we want a top 5 pick for him as an expiring contract. So you agree to give them one of Brown/Tatum/BRK pick/LAL pick. You're over the cap and need to match salaries and looking at that roster above, you going to need to use top 5 picks to make the numbers work. You have no mid-level, tradable contracts for expendable players other than Rozier's modest $3M which won't be enough to matter big picture. Maybe you get creative with a S&T involving one of IT/AB/Smart but that's difficult to count on.

Now, after this deal, you still have Crowder in the mix as a contract like that and you add Marcus Morris deal that will be $5M expiring. Losing AB is definitely worse than losing Crowder for this year but it helps preserve much greater flexibility to pursue pieces via trade.

If the season started today:

IT / Rozier
Brown / Smart
Hayward / Morris
Crowder / Tatum / Yabusele
Horford / Zizic

Brown's best stretch last year was as the starting SG when AB got hurt. So I expect him to slide in there.

I think this clears room for them to bring over Yabusele. Not sure if he's ready though. I will say I haven't been overly impressed with Zizic in summer league.

We still have a room exception that I assume will go to a big. Hoping for Willie Reed. I also don't rule out another trade where one of the forwards goes out and a big comes back in (Crowder S&T for Dedmon?).

Green_Monster
07-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Celtics fans you will like Marcus Morris a lot

As you will Bradley. I'm gonna miss him. Just would've been hard to pay him next season.

Green_Monster
07-07-2017, 11:01 AM
C's finish 4th in east this year, out in 2nd round. Raptors (not a fan of them), Wiz and of course Cavs are all better suited for winning than the Celtics.

Tatum isn't ready for NBA yet, Brown is but wildly erratic. Horford gets slower as the years go by, Morris...ehh, IT to small to matter in playoffs and Hayward isn't going to make up for their losses.

Lol, same thing was said last year too.

If Crowder and Smart aren't "edge", I'm not sure what you mean by it.

Vee-Rex
07-07-2017, 11:04 AM
CHI wanted either Brown or the BRK pick (#1) + a starter. So not exactly the scenario you're stating here. I still wouldn't have done it. We're competing now, but our future is beyond with Brown/Tatum/BRK pick/LAL/SAC pick

Yeah, I just don't see it with Brown. I think he may eventually be a good role player in his career but it'd be a miracle if becomes the player Butler is. You'll probably disagree so it's moot to argue on that, I suppose.

And if the future is all you guys care about, then you are better off trading IT between now and the deadline (you'd likely get a bigger haul right now than at the deadline when teams would view the C's as more desperate) rather than maxing him next offseason. Idk, we'll see what happens but I just got the feeling that the C's are hanging out in the middle a little too much, rather than picking a direction (contending or building for the future).

jason
07-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Wow I don't like them trading away Bradley

mark1125
07-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Seems like a decent move for both teams. I am confused about the 2nd rd pick. ESPN says DET is getting one while sporting news says BOS is. Not a difference maker but curious as to who is getting what.

homie564
07-07-2017, 11:16 AM

He was gone at the end of the year anyways. Probably the most obvious move

eDush
07-07-2017, 11:27 AM

He was gone at the end of the year anyways. Probably the most obvious move

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHe could be the difference between beating the Cavs or not. He is like our Klay :nod:

BostonBoy
07-07-2017, 11:30 AM

Wiz haven't gotten any better this offseason. Raptors could give the Celtics a run if DeRozan doesn't pull a disappearing act. I actually think the Bucks are the sleeper team in the East. Brogdon, Middleton, Gianniis, Parker, and Maker have so much size and length...

eDush
07-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Just one mans opinion but I stand by it.Wrong! Tatum and maybe Fox are the most NBA ready right out of college :nod:

And if Brown is wildly erratic, how is he NBA ready? ....ur are all over the place contradicting yourself :facepalm:

homie564
07-07-2017, 11:40 AM
He could be the difference between beating the Cavs or not. He is like our Klay :nod:

Bradley was an incredibly streaky offensive player though. This also opens a spot potentially for Brown or Tatum. I'll miss him, but he sure wasn't Klay

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 11:40 AM
He could be the difference between beating the Cavs or not. He is like our Klay :nod:

Except not even close to as good as Klay haha.

From last years roster we've lost
Johnson
Bradley----> Hayward (upgrade)
Olynyk-----> Morris (different players, similar production, I like Morris as a fit better)
Zeller------> Zizic (certainly can't be worse)
Jerebko
Green------> Tatum (upgrade overall but for this season, I'd say similar impact, still favors Tatum though)

So we have yet to replace Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko. We've gone lateral or upgraded every other player. I doubt not having Bradley is the difference in beating CLE. I'll take Hayward and Morris over Bradley and Olynyk every time.

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Celtics are rumored to be targeting Dedmon from SAS

Trade Crowder, Mickey and Jackson to SAS for Dedmon...With those outgoing salaries we can pay Dedmon $12M

Sign Crawford with the Room Exception

Roster (mpg) - Position less basketball
G Thomas (28)/ Smart (20)/Brown (17)/ Crawford (16)/Rozier (15)

F Hayward (35)/Morris (20)/Tatum (18)/ Horford (15)/ Brown (8)

C Dedmon (25)/ Horford (15)/Zizic (8)

Ahriman
07-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Playing Horford 15 mins? That would be such a waste

EDIT: My bad, I misread the thing

corky831
07-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Reports are that Celtics plan to keep Jae Crowder and bring over Yabu in the fall, per Adam Himmelsbach. Yabu is considered a poor man's draymond

bagwell368
07-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Why not trade for Drummond?

Because he's overpaid, he seems to be regressing, and he doesn't work in Stevens system.

bagwell368
07-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Bradley is out all the time. He's also blocking development of JB who is likely to be a superior player. C's were not going to win w/ Bradley and he wasn't going to be resigned at ~18-20M, so, much rather unblock the future.

Crowder is a nice piece, made nicer by his contract, but his shrinkage factor in the playoffs is there for all to see. He's also blocking the heck out of Tatum, and created a mini controversy last year when fans chanted GH for GH (forget making the racist argument, they chanted for Durant the year before).

KO, a Stevens creation is not a starting level player, and talk about soft.

In the NBA you win with 3 or 4 guys, it's better if your 8th guy is good, but its not at all essential.

bagwell368
07-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I just don't see it with Brown. I think he may eventually be a good role player in his career but it'd be a miracle if becomes the player Butler is. You'll probably disagree so it's moot to argue on that, I suppose.

And if the future is all you guys care about, then you are better off trading IT between now and the deadline (you'd likely get a bigger haul right now than at the deadline when teams would view the C's as more desperate) rather than maxing him next offseason. Idk, we'll see what happens but I just got the feeling that the C's are hanging out in the middle a little too much, rather than picking a direction (contending or building for the future).

Butler is an inside scorer, not sure how he fits in Stevens system.

Brown wasn't much thru December, but leading up to the playoffs and esp vs the Cavs he was often the best Celt on the floor. Brown already has faster hands than Butler.

The think I miss about not drafting Fultz is it makes IT more important. I would sign him for 3 years for $16M a year max, he's going be brutal in '20-'21 and ghastly thereafter.

homie564
07-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Did someone actually reference us losing Kelly Olynyk when saying we're soft? :laugh2: that's like removing sugar from a cake and saying it's going to be too sweet lmao. Olynyk was maybe the softest player on the team

DanG
07-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Who is guarding Kyrie? LeBron?

No rebounding/rim protection either. Dedmon isn't enough lol.

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Who is guarding Kyrie? LeBron?

No rebounding/rim protection either. Dedmon isn't enough lol.

Who in the NBA can guard them? Nobody.

Kyrie I would assume will be guarded by Smart/Brown/Rozier
LeBron I would assume will be guarded by Crowder/Morris/Brown

chi-townlove1
07-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Robin Lopez for Crowder?

mightybosstone
07-07-2017, 01:25 PM
I love the deal for Detroit. I understand why the Celtics did this, and Morris is a nice piece at a position of need for them. But, as others have already stated, I think Smart and Crowder should have been dealt way before Bradley. And I think they should have gotten more for him than Morris. I get that it's hard to get good value in a situation like this where every team in the league knows you need the cap space, but you're trading one of the better 3 and D guards in the league for an inefficient guy who wouldn't start at PF for 60-70 percent of the NBA. At least they could have gotten a protected future 1st rounder out of it.

AllBall
07-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Slot the Raps in that #2 spot behind the Cavs

eDush
07-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Did someone actually reference us losing Kelly Olynyk when saying we're soft? :laugh2: that's like removing sugar from a cake and saying it's going to be too sweet lmao. Olynyk was maybe the softest player on the team

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat's why he pull people arms out of their socket to prove otherwise:nod:

homie564
07-07-2017, 01:32 PM
I love the deal for Detroit. I understand why the Celtics did this, and Morris is a nice piece at a position of need for them. But, as others have already stated, I think Smart and Crowder should have been dealt way before Bradley. And I think they should have gotten more for him than Morris. I get that it's hard to get good value in a situation like this where every team in the league knows you need the cap space, but you're trading one of the better 3 and D guards in the league for an inefficient guy who wouldn't start at PF for 60-70 percent of the NBA. At least they could have gotten a protected future 1st rounder out of it.

Bradley is a pending free agent who is going to get wayyyyyyyy overpaid at the end of the year. I think he was the easiest to trade if the team is looking long term

AllBall
07-07-2017, 01:40 PM

Ruh roh

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Robin Lopez for Crowder?

BOS would need to include Rozier and one of Mickey/Jackson along with Crowder to match salaries. Lopez would address a huge positional need but in the grand scheme of things, meh, doesn't do much. Ship out a good defensive guard and forward in Rozier/Crowder to address rebounding and you just opened one hole to plug another.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 01:52 PM

Ruh roh

So instead of Rozier/Morris signed for like $7M/year combined over the next two, we get Olynyk signed for $12/5M/year over 4. We are kind of light in the front court and I'm an Olynyk guy but I like what we ended up with better.

bagwell368
07-07-2017, 02:15 PM

Crowder has more worth on market due to contract, stupid to deal him to make cap due to discounted value such a position puts you in.

Smart might (say 6% likely) round the corner on O and become a real two way player worth signing, plus being light at PG. In reality FOR SURE we need his D to support the worst PG defender in the NBA - IT.

The C's aren't winning the title this coming year (I know shocker right) so what do we need an oft injured SG that blocks the future of JB? Also AB never can seem to play great D and O at the same time, and oh yeah - he has shrinkage factor in the playoffs. I won't shed a tear.

Horford and Morris - solid at the #4. Time to deal a pick or two and Crowder for a rookie contract 5.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 02:19 PM

I hate we had to deal Bradley but the thing is that with Smart/Crowder being lower salaries it would have been tough/impossible to get a rotation player back. The $5M Morris makes is like to the penny what we could take back in AB deal. He makes $8.9M. Crowder makes $6.7M so we'd have to reduce that $5M we took back by the difference - down to under $3M and are there many rotation players available for that? Same with Smart, who only makes about $4.5M. Now you're getting down a point where you can only fit maybe some 2nd rounder who signed a multi-year rookie minimum deal last year.

So dealing Bradley allowed them to get back a rotation player while I don't think Smart or Crowder would have.

The BIGGEST factor for me though is the future trade implications. BOS still needs to make multiple big moves and now that we're over the cap it will have to be through trades. So you gotta consider how contracts match up.

Bradley will be a FA next year and sign for probably ~$20M/year. So while you couldn't trade him next year, you could extend him and use him in a deal after that. But at $20M it's not the best trade chip because the deal is pretty big.

Crowder, on the other hand, signed at like $7M/year for 3 more is a terrific salary matching piece. Useful player than another team wouldn't mind having but a significant enough salary that he impacts the math. A very useful trade chip if you're looking to package for a star.

Smart is a RFA next year so while he's like Bradley in the sense you can't trade him next year, I think he'll sign a more reasonable deal in the range of Roberson's 3 years, $30M deal. Once you sign him and get past the no-trade period that becomes a much more workable salary matching piece than AB at $20M.

Morris' deal at $5M this year and $5.375M next year is another one of those good salary matching contracts.

BOS's roster is a work in progress. At least 2, 3 even 4 of these rotation guys will all be gone if we ever pull off the moves needed to compete. So for me how the pieces fit in accommodating those type of trades is a huge factor to consider. And that's what I really like about this deal. I think we preserve a lot more flexibility to make those moves than we would have dealing someone else. Basketball wise, not the best move though, I agree.

corky831
07-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Do people not understand that Bradley was gone after this year because we could not pay him? I don't know why people are questioning the trade of Bradley. It was either lose him in a yr, or get something for him now. I would trade AB for Hayward and Morris in a heartbeat.....just for Hayward I would, who is a much better player than AB. It was smart to keep Jae because of his size, versatility, and contract. Those saying we are soft, we still have Smart, Brown, Jae, and Morris. All the negativity is coming from Celtic haters. I believe Horford will be much better next yr as well, he had a concussion that left him with lingering headaches for about a third to half of the yr. If you don't think the Celtics are a better team right now than they were a year ago, you're lying to yourself.

ewing
07-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Do people not understand that Bradley was gone after this year because we could not pay him? I don't know why people are questioning the trade of Bradley. It was either lose him in a yr, or get something for him now. I would trade AB for Hayward and Morris in a heartbeat.....just for Hayward I would, who is a much better player than AB. It was smart to keep Jae because of his size, versatility, and contract. Those saying we are soft, we still have Smart, Brown, Jae, and Morris. All the negativity is coming from Celtic haters. I believe Horford will be much better next yr as well, he had a concussion that left him with lingering headaches for about a third to half of the yr. If you don't think the Celtics are a better team right now than they were a year ago, you're lying to yourself.

the problem is you guys were soft last year and while I agree that the team is better AB was a heck of a player and will be missed plus thus far the Celtics have done nothing to addres rim protection and rebounding (there biggest weakness)

Saddletramp
07-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Apologies if this has already been brought up but with the Celtics and Wizards hating each other and a Morris twin on each team, things could get a little interesting.

eDush
07-07-2017, 03:12 PM

the problem is you guys were soft last year and while I agree that the team is better AB was a heck of a player and will be missed plus thus far the Celtics have done nothing to addres rim protection and rebounding (there biggest weakness)I generally don't agree with you but I do here. They should have found a way to keep him by dumping the other two or just give them away. I do like Morris but not sure I like him THAT much.

Time to watch SL :clap:

eDush
07-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Apologies if this has already been brought up but with the Celtics and Wizards hating each other and a Morris twin on each team, things could get a little interesting.They could change places and no one would know but them. How cool is that :)

leprechaun5
07-07-2017, 03:29 PM
I knew Boston would deplete its bench to get Hayward, but not gutting their backcourt with their best defender. Ainge did Bradley dirty. Hence why Ainge will be fired at some point.

Smart is our best defender.

Wade n Fade
07-07-2017, 03:30 PM
I knew Boston would deplete its bench to get Hayward, but not gutting their backcourt with their best defender. Ainge did Bradley dirty. Hence why Ainge will be fired at some point.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 03:34 PM
the problem is you guys were soft last year and while I agree that the team is better AB was a heck of a player and will be missed plus thus far the Celtics have done nothing to addres rim protection and rebounding (there biggest weakness)

BOS had and still does have a lot of things to address. Last year's team lacked

1) Rebounding
2) Rim protection
3) Players besides IT that can initiate offense
4) Multiple wing defenders in the 6'8" range
5) Consistent, reliable shooting that really affects how a defense plays
6) Reliable ball handler for the bench

Unfortunately, there just aren't the means to address all of that in one offseason. And sometimes you gotta deal from strength to address weaknesses.

Adding Hayward addresses the need for guys besides IT to initiate offense. He's proven there. Tatum is a rookie but he looks like he's someone who's going to be able to create buckets. To what level remains be to be seen but I feel confident that he'll at least chip away at this weakness.

Morris adds another defender int he 6'8" range. Last year we really only had Crowder. Brown showed it in spurts but was inconsistent. Morris will help us matchup with those body types to some degree and you hope for development of Brown to help some as well. Hayward/Tatum add bodies that in theory fit that description but neither figure to be defensive assets (Hayward is decent. Tatum projects to need work there).

Smart made good strides last year as a ball handler for the bench so you hope he continues progress. Rozier as well. Staggering Hayward/IT could make it so the bench unit has one of them to lean on. You hope those factors improve the ball handling when the starters are out.

Unfortunately we did lose a dominant guard defender to help make some of those improvements. We lost a great shooting big in Olynyk. But that's life - finite amount of resources so something's gotta give at a certain point. You hope that what should be a more skilled offensive unit on the perimeter compensates for the lost shooting at the 5 with Olynyk (and even opens up a spot for a better rebounder be it a room exception signing or a rookie like Ante Zizic). You hope that the continued improvement of Smart/Rozier/Brown on defense, along with the addition of Morris, will to some degree compensate for what you lost with AB.

BOS's got a deep rotation but like I said, many areas that need to improve. So as they make those improvements, they're going to come at the cost of someone who does something else well. We don't really have any "bad" players in the rotation so anyone we add is bumping out someone at least decent. So we really just gotta try to make sure we're doing the right combinations all things considered.

Dade County
07-07-2017, 03:42 PM
I think they should've went after Whiteside in a trade or maybe even Drummond who is rumored to be on the block.

You still letting Whiteside name come out your mouth...smh

I agree on Drummond. I've been suggestion this for a couple of months; but Boston fans always seem very negative about it lol

And they are in love with Horford but they really need to get rid of that contract. So maybe send him to Detroit if they can land Drummond.

eDush
07-07-2017, 03:48 PM

I agree on Drummond. I've been suggestion this for a couple of months; but Boston fans always seem very negative about it lol

And they are in love with Horford but they really need to get rid of that contract. So maybe send him to Detroit if they can land Drummond.:no:I wouldn't trade a solid front player like Horford for still an immature C with potential that has regress the last 2 years. I doubt most reasonable C fans wouldn't either.

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 03:49 PM

And they are in love with Horford but they really need to get rid of that contract. So maybe send him to Detroit if they can land Drummond.

Drummond is garbage. He can rebound, that's about it. Can't shoot, can't shoot FT, not a great defender, not a great rim protector, gets taken out late in the game due to all of the above. NO THANKS. I'll take Horford thank you very much.

Green_Monster
07-07-2017, 03:49 PM

Deplete? Hardly. Most of the guys let go were scrubs.

And Ainge being fired? Hahahahaha.

Jamiecballer
07-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Man, Boston used to scare me because of the possibilities. They don't seem particularly scary now. I think they are going to take a step back to move forward in a year or two.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ewing
07-07-2017, 03:53 PM
bos had and still does have a lot of things to address. Last year's team lacked

1) rebounding
2) rim protection
3) players besides it that can initiate offense
4) multiple wing defenders in the 6'8" range
5) consistent, reliable shooting that really affects how a defense plays
6) reliable ball handler for the bench

unfortunately, there just aren't the means to address all of that in one offseason. And sometimes you gotta deal from strength to address weaknesses.

Adding hayward addresses the need for guys besides it to initiate offense. He's proven there. Tatum is a rookie but he looks like he's someone who's going to be able to create buckets. To what level remains be to be seen but i feel confident that he'll at least chip away at this weakness.

Morris adds another defender int he 6'8" range. Last year we really only had crowder. Brown showed it in spurts but was inconsistent. Morris will help us matchup with those body types to some degree and you hope for development of brown to help some as well. Hayward/tatum add bodies that in theory fit that description but neither figure to be defensive assets (hayward is decent. Tatum projects to need work there).

Smart made good strides last year as a ball handler for the bench so you hope he continues progress. Rozier as well. Staggering hayward/it could make it so the bench unit has one of them to lean on. You hope those factors improve the ball handling when the starters are out.

Unfortunately we did lose a dominant guard defender to help make some of those improvements. We lost a great shooting big in olynyk. But that's life - finite amount of resources so something's gotta give at a certain point. You hope that what should be a more skilled offensive unit on the perimeter compensates for the lost shooting at the 5 with olynyk (and even opens up a spot for a better rebounder be it a room exception signing or a rookie like ante zizic). You hope that the continued improvement of smart/rozier/brown on defense, along with the addition of morris, will to some degree compensate for what you lost with ab.

Bos's got a deep rotation but like i said, many areas that need to improve. So as they make those improvements, they're going to come at the cost of someone who does something else well. We don't really have any "bad" players in the rotation so anyone we add is bumping out someone at least decent. So we really just gotta try to make sure we're doing the right combinations all things considered.

i agree with your post 100%. I also think the team concerns are listed in order in your post.

jphysics
07-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Sad to see Avery go. He should have been on the all defense team. Covered for some of IT's shortcomings.

Celtics are better offensively and worse defensively now. Better overall probably, but not as good as if they had kept Bradley.

That roster does not look very impressive, but they surprised last year and will probably do well again this year in the weak East. Stevens should have been coach of the year.

SoxPatsCeltsBs
07-07-2017, 03:59 PM
So the Celtics lose Kelly O and Bradley

Celts get Hayward, Tatum and Morris.

Why are people bashing Ainge? The off season isn't even over yet and they're questioning the lineup. This team is already in better shape than last season. I have faith.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 03:59 PM

BOS can't afford to lose his offensive impact. Go look at how many Celtics shot noticeably better compared to their prior career numbers last year. What Horford can do handling the ball is CRUCIAL for a ball movement offense. There are significant stretches where he's their main facilitator. Think about what that does for an offense that relies so heavily on off-ball movement and cuts. If you're Center is handling the ball at the top of the key, think about what that does for your off-ball action. Instead of a plodding Center being involved in the action, now you have an extra perimeter player running around and cutting because your C is handling the ball instead. Creates so many open looks for guys and helps everyone get better shots. The players that saw their FG% spike in BOS last year are the proof.

Even before Horford it's always been Stevens' philosophy to utilize his bigs as ball handlers a lot so he can get the smaller guys involved in the off-ball action more to create better shots and get the defense moving more. Horford just takes that to an extreme level because he's such a unique player with a point forward skill set from the 5 spot.

Unfortunately though, his offensive impact at the 5 comes with the weaknesses in rim protection and ESPECIALLY rebounding. He's not a bad rim protector just not a great one. He's actually good at switching onto perimeter guys (don't show me some clip of Lebron going by him in the ECF - Lebron isn't the standard to hold someone to lol). He's a great weakside shot blocker too. So the best "compromise" of his skill set would be to get a 5 and let him play the 4. His offensive strengths aren't as pronounced as a 4 instead of a 5 but they still are valuable. And the rebounding deficiency is compensated for while his defensive role would play more to his strengths.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 04:06 PM

You act like the Celtics couldn't get him if they offered up some of their assets. They could trade firndamn near everyone in the league with those assets if they wanted.

Hustla23
07-07-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm surprised Ainge moved Bradley for an insignificant player and not for a draft pick.

mnatiq
07-07-2017, 04:21 PM
I wonder if all these moves will be worth it for the celtics? I would bet Hayward has a OK season and celtics still get swept by the cavs or maybe win a game or 2. Also would bet the raps can take them to 7, possibly beating the celtics mainly because the raps have continuity and chemistry going for them.

I say this because its not as if the celtics are making all these moves by getting rid of important pieces to acquire for sure superstars. Hayward is good but is he worth this much: the contract and @ the expense of Bradley and probably Crowder?

Green_Monster
07-07-2017, 04:28 PM
I wonder if all these moves will be worth it for the celtics? I would bet Hayward has a OK season and celtics still get swept by the cavs or maybe win a game or 2. Also would bet the raps can take them to 7, possibly beating the celtics mainly because the raps have continuity and chemistry going for them.

I say this because its not as if the celtics are making all these moves by getting rid of important pieces to acquire for sure superstars. Hayward is good but is he worth this much: the contract and @ the expense of Bradley and probably Crowder?

Yes. And Crowder doesn't have to be moved.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 04:28 PM
I wonder if all these moves will be worth it for the celtics? I would bet Hayward has a OK season and celtics still get swept by the cavs or maybe win a game or 2.

Not Bradley and Crowder. They had to move ONE of Bradley/Crowder/Smart to clear cap room for Hayward's max and that's accomplished with Bradley going out. Crowder or Smart could have gone but they don't make enough money to take back a rotation player and still clear enough room which was I think a primary motivation to move Bradley over either of them.

mnatiq
07-07-2017, 04:46 PM

Not Bradley and Crowder. They had to move ONE of Bradley/Crowder/Smart to clear cap room for Hayward's max and that's accomplished with Bradley going out. Crowder or Smart could have gone but they don't make enough money to take back a rotation player and still clear enough room which was I think a primary motivation to move Bradley over either of them.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/celtics-expected-to-move-jae-crowder-following-avery-bradley-trade-474286.html

Just read a article on PSD that celtics are still looking to move Crowder. Pure Speculation atm but still say Crowder is moved, would you say Hayward is still worth it? Do you think the Celtics can beat the cavs? or the raps?

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 04:52 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/celtics-expected-to-move-jae-crowder-following-avery-bradley-trade-474286.html

Just read a article on PSD that celtics are still looking to move Crowder. Pure Speculation atm but still say Crowder is moved, would you say Hayward is still worth it? Do you think the Celtics can beat the cavs? or the raps?

Any Crowder deal at this point is separate from Hayward. Moving one of Bradley/Crowder/Smart cleared enough cap space. That over and done with now. Bradley for Morris was enough of a salary decrease that we can sign Hayward now.

Crowder can for sure be moved though. So could Smart. If you look at our roster we're lacking at Center. Definitely a sound argument to swap Crowder out for one. But that's not the same as having to give up Crowder for Hayward. That's a trade outside the Hayward signing and related fall out.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Marc Smart, 23 years old, is now the longest tenured Celtic lol

mnatiq
07-07-2017, 05:01 PM

Any Crowder deal at this point is separate from Hayward. Moving one of Bradley/Crowder/Smart cleared enough cap space. That over and done with now. Bradley for Morris was enough of a salary decrease that we can sign Hayward now.

Crowder can for sure be moved though. So could Smart. If you look at our roster we're lacking at Center. Definitely a sound argument to swap Crowder out for one. But that's not the same as having to give up Crowder for Hayward. That's a trade outside the Hayward signing and related fall out.

But do you think after all these salary dumps can the Celtics beat the Cavs?

bagwell368
07-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Happens all the time, folks love to have an opinion even on stuff they only know slightly.

How many looked up how many games he has missed?

How many know he's going to get $18.5-21M per year next contract. So we already have a roster full of 2-3's. We sign AB to this deal, and oh well... IT is out the window, and the next draft has lots of bigs on top of the draft, not PG's. AB sucks totally as an offensive PG. Did you brainiacs figure on that?

Smart? Poor PG so far on offense he too might be out range to resign if we focused on AB. Also we potentially have the #1 and #2 picks next year - that's about $15M per combined. Maybe we have to clear other bodies to sign them all because we signed AB - and also when THE HELL is Brown going to play with AB around?

We are not going to win in '17-'18, why play A LAME DUCK #2 to block Brown, make signing IT and/or Smart (if he grows this year) to a deal impossible once we sign him,.

Try figuring out whats going on before we get any more Ainge is going to be fired posts. Is that asking too much?

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 05:17 PM

No I do not think we can beat CLE. But even without the dumps we couldn't. If you want to look at it like a "trade" we had to dump Bradley and Olynyk to get Hayward and Morris back. That's a CLEAR WIN for Boston. Big time improvement there. I think that has elevated us to where we're one more big move away from being able to beat CLE. Before that, we were 2 big moves away and Hayward was one of them.

bagwell368
07-07-2017, 05:18 PM

Lebron isn't engaged in getting players to sign there, the successful GM is gone, and nobody wants the job, Love knows he's the odd man out. Kyrie said to be ready to kick his way off.

The Cavs could do a great job of beating the Cavs.

The Celts style/pace and general weakness of the East should mean GH is going to be very good. But it's the two kids that will decide if its a 62 win monster, or a 52 win team butting heads with the other 1-4 seeds. If we end up with two very high picks this year - then in two years they'll be fighting 76'ers, Tor, Wash for the top as the Cavs will be dead with LJ in the West - probably LAL.

Lil Rhody
07-07-2017, 05:20 PM
^ no way bags. Ainge has put the Celtics in a better position than 85% of the league he sucks. He has to many good players to be bad and to many youngsters and future assets to win now. He stuck in imagination land blah blah blah. I love DA and I have faith

People in here don't watch the team to understand every point you made

Go green go

Lil Rhody
07-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Also bags and other New England fans please tell me I'm not the only one that is more excited about the Celtics offseason than the Super Bowl champs off season. I feel like it's the first time ever really

corky831
07-07-2017, 05:39 PM
I'm extremely excited for the Celtics this year. We got a great playing in Hayward, a great young prospect in Tatum, Yabusele is coming over from China, Zizic will be over from Europe, and Brown will be in his 2nd yr trying to prove he should be starting on this team. A lot of youth on this team, with possibly 2 great picks in next yrs draft. Rozier and Smart should continue to develop as well. I'm certain we are not done making some moves too. This team is exciting.....they aren't at CLE or GS level, but they are improving for the future. And everyone saying Horford is an awful deal, he's one of the most skilled big men in the league....and only 3 yrs left. Do you guys watch baseball?? I'm more concerned with the contracts given in that sport than basketball.....hoping David Price opts out after yr 3 (which I'm sure he will).

BoSox47
07-07-2017, 05:48 PM

Salary dump?

Boston in:
Gordon Hayward
Marcus Morris

Boston out:
Avery Bradley
2nd round pick

They also brought in the 3rd overall pick in Jayson Tatum. With free agent losses of Olynyk, Jerekbo, Zeller, Gerald Green. Celtics will bring more players in through the vet minimum and various exceptions.

Celtics gained far more than they lost.

LOb0
07-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Obviously we didn't want to give Bradley some monster contract. We have enough young guys to fill that void right now.

bagwell368
07-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Also bags and other New England fans please tell me I'm not the only one that is more excited about the Celtics offseason than the Super Bowl champs off season. I feel like it's the first time ever really

Pats offseason ranks as one of the top off seasons for a Champ Team, and I can't think of a better one. They're loaded.

I'm a C's fan since '65, so I'd say the construction of the '07-'08 team, the McHale/Parish deal after the Jr eligible pick of Bird, and the Cowens, White, Silas build with only Havlicek as a base are all well ahead of this year, but I like it, and I'm glad we didn't deal for Paul - who was going to bolt no matter what.

If we want in the Finals, we need Crawford, and a deal for a 5 on a rookie contract using future picks. Then we go down in 4 or 5. Maybe a year premature, let's let the kids harden off

Forever35
07-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Pats offseason ranks as one of the top off seasons for a Champ Team, and I can't think of a better one. They're loaded.

I'm a C's fan since '65, so I'd say the construction of the '07-'08 team, the McHale/Parish deal after the Jr eligible pick of Bird, and the Cowens, White, Silas build with only Havlicek as a base are all well ahead of this year, but I like it, and I'm glad we didn't deal for Paul - who was going to bolt no matter what.

If we want in the Finals, we need Crawford, and a deal for a 5 on a rookie contract using future picks. Then we go down in 4 or 5. Maybe a year premature, let's let the kids harden off

Crazy to think, but adding Crawford to the C's 2nd unit would be huge for a big playoff push...

bagwell368
07-07-2017, 07:31 PM

Winner of the lack of insight and ridiculous claim of the month post.

What dirty? It's a business.

AB was not the best defender on the C's.

Stevens wants to go with 3 wings, a PG, and a C, and sometimes 4 wings. C's have lots of wings. A wing that gets hurt a lot and is going to keep Ainge from signing a max next year, (if we sign him to an extension next year) or finishing off the Hayward contract. Now we have a usable player in the Stevens system for cheap, and an extra year. Oh yes, we see that AB is a monster in the 1st quarter and does little after, and his playoffs performances suffer from serious shrinkage factor as well.

Right on target Fred.

valade16
07-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Thus far the Celtics have

Added:
Gordon Hayward
Jayson Tatum
Marcus Morris

Lost:
Avery Bradley
Kelly Olynyk

I'd say that's a big win.

Scoots
07-07-2017, 07:50 PM

Added:
Gordon Hayward
Jayson Tatum
Marcus Morris

Lost:
Avery Bradley
Kelly Olynyk

And the Cavs lost some garbage and added some garbage.

bagwell368
07-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Correction:

Added:
Gordon Hayward
Jayson Tatum
Marcus Morris
Draft Pick (potentially 2-5 slot next year)

Lost:
Avery Bradley
Kelly Olynyk

That's why Ainge is going to be fired.... hargharhahhfhaaaaa!

Cracka2HI!
07-07-2017, 09:45 PM
This is the rarest of trades that I don't just like but LOVE for both teams. It's really hard to make a trade from Boston's position where they have no leverage. I think they picked up an excellent fit as a stretch for them. They weren't going to be able to re-sign him regardless which only hurt their leverage. Detroit clearly gets the better player so I love it for them too. I can't hate on Boston for getting Morris under these circumstances.

eDush
07-07-2017, 09:54 PM
This is the rarest of trades that I don't just like but LOVE for both teams. It's really hard to make a trade from Boston's position where they have no leverage. I think they picked up an excellent fit as a stretch for them. They weren't going to be able to re-sign him regardless which only hurt their leverage. Detroit clearly gets the better player so I love it for them too. I can't hate on Boston for getting Morris under these circumstances.The Morris twins facing each other in a playoffs series will be sweet to watch :nod:

JasonJohnHorn
07-08-2017, 01:40 AM
Great... now they don't have to pay Pope far more than he's worth.

Love this trade for Detroit!

Oakmont_4
07-08-2017, 08:34 AM
2 playoff series I absolutely can't wait to see this year and are complete possibilities.

Boston vs. Miami
Boston vs. Washington

Vinylman
07-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Added:
Gordon Hayward
Jayson Tatum
Marcus Morris

Lost:
Avery Bradley
Kelly Olynyk

Yeah... Amir Johnson didn't play 80 games for the celts last year

Lil Rhody
07-08-2017, 09:46 AM
No air Johnson lmao gtfo with that. He sucks

Green_Monster
07-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Great... now they don't have to pay Pope far more than he's worth.

Love this trade for Detroit!

You'll have to pay Bradley probably 20M per next year.

Green_Monster
07-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Yeah... Amir Johnson didn't play 80 games for the celts last year

Amir Johnson is awful. :laugh2:

Jamiecballer
07-08-2017, 10:15 AM
The loss of amir will be felt more than you realize. He's every bit as substantial a subtraction as olynyk that's for sure

sixer04fan
07-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Correction:

That's why Ainge is going to be fired.... hargharhahhfhaaaaa!

If you're going to say that, then you have to also add: 2017 1st overall pick to the lost column.

Regardless if they were going to draft Tatum 1st anyways (I don't buy that for a second), they still traded it away to gain the extra pick

Vinylman
07-08-2017, 10:52 AM
The loss of amir will be felt more than you realize. He's every bit as substantial a subtraction as olynyk that's for sure

Celtics fans are hilarious.... morris is this great addition but Amir is no loss

And they don't really get it... haywards greed forced them to trade Bradley NOW when the return is much less...

Anyone who thinks that ainges execution is anything other than average is an absolute homer...

Green_Monster
07-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Amir Johnson is terrible. There's no way you can watch him play basketball and think he's as important as Olynyk. No ****ing way. I can't believe I just read that. Holy ****. Then again I am on PSD.

He got 4 DNP coaches decision during these playoffs. He couldn't play on a team that had one good big man. He is garbage.

Vinylman
07-08-2017, 10:55 AM
You'll have to pay Bradley probably 20M per next year.

No you won't ... his salary ceiling is George hill and there will be even less cap available next offseason

We get it though... every Celtic move is pure genius

Green_Monster
07-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Celtics fans are hilarious.... morris is this great addition but Amir is no loss

And they don't really get it... haywards greed forced them to trade Bradley NOW when the return is much less...

Anyone who thinks that ainges execution is anything other than average is an absolute homer...

No one called Morris a "great" addition. Bradley was either gone this year or next. They chose to keep Crowder who is worse but on a much better contract.

Ainge managed to make his team better while holding onto all of his long term assets. Another win, only the haters refuse to ever give him credit. You're as bad as the guy who thinks he's getting fired. :laugh2:

No you won't ... his salary ceiling is George hill and there will be even less cap available next offseason

We get it though... every Celtic move is pure genius

Nope. Even Woj on ESPN this morning said he could reach 20M per, if not more. Keep using your opinion as fact though.

Vinylman
07-08-2017, 11:17 AM
No one called Morris a "great" addition. Bradley was either gone this year or next. They chose to keep Crowder who is worse but on a much better contract.

Ainge managed to make his team better while holding onto all of his long term assets. Another win, only the haters refuse to ever give him credit. You're as bad as the guy who thinks he's getting fired. :laugh2:

Nope. Even Woj on ESPN this morning said he could reach 20M per, if not more. Keep using your opinion as fact though.

Another "fan" analysis... I know it makes you guys feel good to condescend when someone merely points out that the gain / loss analysis is wrong... you are so insecure you have to attack the contributions of a guy like Amir Johnson.

If you are happy playing the long game in Boston hoping you hit in the draft all I have to say is good luck you haven't hit big on anyone to this point

I am also willing to put money on bradleys next deal... are you?

Green_Monster
07-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Another "fan" analysis... I know it makes you guys feel good to condescend when someone merely points out that the gain / loss analysis is wrong... you are so insecure you have to attack the contributions of a guy like Amir Johnson.

If you are happy playing the long game in Boston hoping you hit in the draft all I have to say is good luck you haven't hit big on anyone to this point

Watch Amir Johnson play basketball then come back. He is bad. Saying otherwise shows your basketball knowledge (or lack there of). Not one Celtics fan wanted him back this year. When you get DNP's as a big man in the playoffs on a team who couldn't rebound, that says a lot. Losing Amir Johnson should be in the "gain" category. We're a better team without him.

You're asking me to bet money on a deal a year away via a dying Internet forum? Hmm... that's a tough one but I'll pass.

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2017, 11:34 AM

:laugh2: bruh do you watch basketball??? Amir Johnson is HOT TRASH.

PAOboston
07-08-2017, 12:01 PM

Johnson was benched at the end of the season and playoffs because he's garbage. He's a great veteran and leader but he was so brutal towards the end of last that the Cs resorted to starting Gerald Green in the lineup over him in the playoffs.

Bradley was also gone either way, whether it be this summer or next summer. His value was not going to get any higher as an impending free agent. Made sense to deal him and keep Smart/Crowder. While inferior players to Bradley, they are under team control with small money deals and fill their role well on the team.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

LA_Raiders
07-08-2017, 12:58 PM
That was a good move by both teams. Celtics should be able to give Clev a fight now. I don't think they can beat them but at least make it competitive. Wash and Tor did not do a thing to improve, so the Easy will look the same.

WaDe03
07-08-2017, 01:10 PM
:laugh2: bruh do you watch basketball??? Amir Johnson is HOT TRASH.

He only looks trash when you compare him to the most historic big man ever in Al Horford.

homie564
07-08-2017, 01:24 PM

The Celtics are a better team now that Amir Johnson can't be put in the game :laugh2: . He's awful

Green_Monster
07-08-2017, 01:41 PM
He only looks trash when you compare him to the most historic big man ever in Al Horford.

Does it make you feel better about being a bandwagon fan to make things up?

No one said Al Horford is an historic big man. He had historic shooting percentages the first two playoff series. That is a fact.

Just focus on which team you're going to bandwagon to next.

Jamiecballer
07-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Amir Johnson is terrible. There's no way you can watch him play basketball and think he's as important as Olynyk. No ****ing way. I can't believe I just read that. Holy ****. Then again I am on PSD.

He got 4 DNP coaches decision during these playoffs. He couldn't play on a team that had one good big man. He is garbage.

He's the type of guy that promotes good team basketball. It is no coincidence he is among the league leaders almost every single season in +/-. That doesn't mean he is flashy or that he is valued properly however.

WaDe03
07-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Does it make you feel better about being a bandwagon fan to make things up?

No one said Al Horford is an historic big man. He had historic shooting percentages the first two playoff series. That is a fact.

Just focus on which team you're going to bandwagon to next.

Horford is historically solid.

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2017, 05:36 PM
He's the type of guy that promotes good team basketball. It is no coincidence he is among the league leaders almost every single season in +/-. That doesn't mean he is flashy or that he is valued properly however.

Bruh he's TRASSSSHHHHH idk if you guys are trolling Celtic fans on purpose but to say Amir will be missed is beyond laughable. The fact he got 11 mill is laughable in itself

Forever35
07-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Watch Amir Johnson play basketball then come back. He is bad. Saying otherwise shows your basketball knowledge (or lack there of). Not one Celtics fan wanted him back this year. When you get DNP's as a big man in the playoffs on a team who couldn't rebound, that says a lot. Losing Amir Johnson should be in the "gain" category. We're a better team without him.

You're asking me to bet money on a deal a year away via a dying Internet forum? Hmm... that's a tough one but I'll pass.

He wasn't bad for the C's, but at the same time he wasn't worth another contract with the C's...

Forever35
07-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Horford is historically solid.

AL is definitely a solid NBA starter...

Forever35
07-08-2017, 05:52 PM
The Celtics are a better team now that Amir Johnson can't be put in the game :laugh2: . He's awful

I guess that means the C's will win at least 54 games this season...???

Amir was apart of a 53 game win season...

homie564
07-09-2017, 12:38 AM
I guess that means the C's will win at least 54 games this season...???

Amir was apart of a 53 game win season...

So was Jordan Mickey... your point? Amir Johnson is absolute trash... I seriously can't understand why we're even having this convo lmao

bagwell368
07-09-2017, 07:16 AM

Amir is widely underrated by Celts fans. They watch on TV and a lot of what he does right is away from the ball. Still, he's old and isn't getting any better.

Ainge/Stevens knew that they had GH for some time, the NBA screwed expectations by having a lower cap.

C's aren't going to win the title next year even with AB. Meanwhile Brown and Tatum would lose time.

AB is also overrated by most. Injured often. Weak playoff performer. Erratic offense and defensive peaks. Hugely productive in the 1st quarter, not so much any other. The more he scores, the less D he plays. If the C's sign him for $20M next year, no chance at dealing picks for a max stud, and no shot at signing IT.

It pays to think things through before opining...

Ainge has executed on his picks, trades, and cap management.

bagwell368
07-09-2017, 07:22 AM

What positions has Ainge picked from? He's missed a couple of guys, but so did a lot of other GM's

The construction of the 2007-2008 team is still poster material for every NBA GM.

DA *should* get rid of Rondo earlier, but his owner was a well known fan, so the deals got shelved for a couple of years.

Celts have signed two max players in two years, ending the franchise run of never bringing in significant FA's.

Ainge palmed off PP and KG, and got a haul, which it will take some time to be able to fully judge.

If AB is healthy and plays well the floor is $18M per IMO.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Amir Johnson been on the decline for a while now. Shocked 76ers wasted money on him. Guess be just a veteran guy in the locker room. Bit pricey though.

SteBO
07-09-2017, 09:57 AM
I don't see how C's fans can say they're better off now.....I get that you guys would've had to pay Bradley next offseason, but don't you have to pay IT as well? What's the plan there? You guys aren't any closer to the Cavs now than you were last year and if you lose IT next offseason, what then?

Unless I'm misunderstanding something or missing it completely, you guys seem to be hinging a lot of Tatum. I'd honestly like to know what the thought process is.

hugepatsfan
07-09-2017, 10:20 AM
I don't see how C's fans can say they're better off now.....I get that you guys would've had to pay Bradley next offseason, but don't you have to pay IT as well? What's the plan there? You guys aren't any closer to the Cavs now than you were last year and if you lose IT next offseason, what then?

Unless I'm misunderstanding something or missing it completely, you guys seem to be hinging a lot of Tatum. I'd honestly like to know what the thought process is.

Hayward replaces Bradley. Huge upgrade. AB is a good player, Hayward is a top 20 player.

Marcus Morris replaces Amir. He's a better player though not a huge margin. Better player in Morris but you do have to wonder about fit to some degree just because he makes us smaller. Amir got benched by the end of last years playoffs though so at the end of the day he wasn't bringing anything to compare to anyway.

Tatum will replaces Jerebko. He should be better even as a rookie.

Our only downgrade is Olynyk to Zizic at backup center. We do still have a room exception though and even if it's a downgrade overall, it should help the rebounding just because Olynyk is bad at it.

So overall we're clearly better. We could have been even better if we kept AB but it didn't work salary wise. We could have dealt a lesser player in Smart or Crowder, but then we wouldn't have been able to take back a rotation player and create the cap for GH. It's also reasonable to expect some degree of improvement from Jaylen a brown and Rozier - even if only marginal. So more improvement. Also, with the exception of Hayward being about 4 months older than AB we got younger in all those other swaps.

So no, we clearly didn't catch CLE but we got better in the short term and even helped the long term a bit with some youth/more favorable contract situations. It was a good step forward. We're not one year from winning a title - it was always going to be a multi year process.

Oakmont_4
07-09-2017, 10:20 AM

How are we worse? Is Hayward not a better player than Bradley? If you don't think so, let's just end this conversation right here.

Who else have we lost?
Zeller? Terrible
Jerebko? Meh
Johnson? Declining hard, was useless in last years playoffs
Young? Didn't even play
Olynyk? Nice offensive big but awful on defense, not worth $12M thats for sure

So again? How are we worse? We upgraded Bradley. Brought in Morris who's a nice, solid player. Nothing special but he fits in with what we do here. We added Tatum, a top 3 draft pick. Brown will be improved from last year.

I'm not saying we're going to beat CLE but we're certainly not worse than last year.

SteBO
07-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Alright. Fair enough then.

xxplayerxx23
07-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Bradley is awesome. Morris can't play the 4. He's going to get destroyed. Awful move should of just sent crowder to Utah man. Losing Bradley will be huge.

SoxPatsCeltsBs
07-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Lol Hayward was greedy but yet guys like Hardaway Jr received monster contracts. Makes sense.

hugepatsfan
07-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Bradley is awesome. Morris can't play the 4. He's going to get destroyed. Awful move should of just sent crowder to Utah man. Losing Bradley will be huge.

Losing Bradley will hurt for sure. But dumping Crowder means you lose him and Morris. Those are two contracts that will prove to be instrumental in executing trades to get the extra pieces at the top of the roster we need. Bradley, only having one year and then being due for a huge deal, doesn't offer that same utility.

I think keeping AB might have been optimal for the 2017-18 Celtics but no real fldofference because we're still losing to CLE either way. I like this combination better for the long term implications.

bagwell368
07-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Awesome?

Oft injured.

Erratic offensively, not a consistent #2 scorer.

Could be special on D, but only on occasion - and was never great on D and O at the same time.

Can't play PG at all because he's a rotten passer

Can't create his own O off the dribble, he's got to get the ball from somewhere.

AB has major shrinkage factor in the playoffs as well, BTW according to WS48 he's .090 of an average player - your definition of awesome is clearly other than mine.

Crowder can play D, has 3 years of control, and looks like a good fit at the 3/4.

Morris can and has played 4 BTW. They have lots of 3's, he's not getting major minutes there.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-09-2017, 03:40 PM
How could anyone say we are worse than last year when we added the top FA this year?

Other players can fill AB's void on defense. What GH brings to our offense is a HUGE upgrade! Watching them try to score when IT was out last year was pathetic.

GH>>>Bradley
Morris = Klynyk
Tatum > Young/Zeller/Jerebko

Amir will be missed for his defense/locker room presence(the reason why I think it's a great pick up for Philly) but I think we are still going to add a big before the season. Speights would be my choice using our MLE.

hugepatsfan
07-09-2017, 04:27 PM
BOS used the room exception on Aaron Baynes. I preferred Willie Reed or Dedmon but not sure they were financial fits. I don't like that it was one year because I wanted that $5M expiring to use in trades which a 2 year room exception would have provided.

I like that he played in SA so he knows a ball movement offense. I'd love if we can also get Speights on a minimum deal now.

eDush
07-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Bradley is awesome. Morris can't play the 4. He's going to get destroyed. Awful move should of just sent crowder to Utah man. Losing Bradley will be huge.Agree somewhat on losing AB but not on Morris play. He can play the well as decent as any other decent 4 and a better offensive then defensive player :nod:

Aust
07-10-2017, 04:54 PM
If we can't get any big fish next year I would love Avery Bradley. I thought they would choose to keep Bradley over Crowder. Maybe having Smart and Crowder's positional versatility was a big part of it.

Celticsfan2007
07-10-2017, 05:38 PM
If we can't get any big fish next year I would love Avery Bradley. I thought they would choose to keep Bradley over Crowder. Maybe having Smart and Crowder's positional versatility was a big part of it.

I don't think they necessarily chose to keep Crower/Smart over Bradley. It was more about contractual status that it was about fit. Smart is a RFA next year and Crowder has 3 years remaining on his deal at a very reasonable 7-8mil/yr.

Next year they would have had to choose from Bradley or Thomas, and it appears they are all in IT4 and his need for the MAX

Vinylman
07-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Johnson was benched at the end of the season and playoffs because he's garbage. He's a great veteran and leader but he was so brutal towards the end of last that the Cs resorted to starting Gerald Green in the lineup over him in the playoffs.

Bradley was also gone either way, whether it be this summer or next summer. His value was not going to get any higher as an impending free agent. Made sense to deal him and keep Smart/Crowder. While inferior players to Bradley, they are under team control with small money deals and fill their role well on the team.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I merely pointed out that he wasn't included in the net/net analysis...

I will play though... how is morris any different for what the Celts need? he is a vastly undersized 4 who played last year next to one of the best 5s on defense in the league. Is Horford gonna protect him like Drummond?

In terms of AS they are more similar than not... surprisingly amir had a better year statistically than Morris...

Also, this idea that Bradley's value was maximized is beyond ridiculous... Ainge was put under the gun because Hayward is a greedy fcuk who demanded a max deal when all he had to do was take a couple of 100 thousand less to keep Bradley so he could be dealt later if need be.

I don't expect any logical or reasonable responses from Celtic fans but while the team marginally improved in terms of raw players ... the improvement on the court will be minimal and the Celts still will be facing the dilemma of an IT extension...

Vinylman
07-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Amir is widely underrated by Celts fans. They watch on TV and a lot of what he does right is away from the ball. Still, he's old and isn't getting any better.

Ainge/Stevens knew that they had GH for some time, the NBA screwed expectations by having a lower cap.

C's aren't going to win the title next year even with AB. Meanwhile Brown and Tatum would lose time.

AB is also overrated by most. Injured often. Weak playoff performer. Erratic offense and defensive peaks. Hugely productive in the 1st quarter, not so much any other. The more he scores, the less D he plays. If the C's sign him for $20M next year, no chance at dealing picks for a max stud, and no shot at signing IT.

It pays to think things through before opining...

Ainge has executed on his picks, trades, and cap management.

If you think a fire sale of AB because Hayward was a btich demanding the absolute max is good execution by Ainge then their really isn't anything to talk about...

In no way was I suggesting that AB be signed by the Celts but if you think you couldn't get more than MM and also give up a 2nd then that is laughable... I am the one posting in here that he will get nothing better than a George Hill type deal

As you stated and as I posted many times over the last year... Ainge knew he had GH in the bag... it was a done deal... the whole dragging it out for 5 days was all marketing BS by GH because he didn't want to have to look bad to the SLC fans... to have to fire sale AB knowing that is utter incompetence.

Green_Monster
07-11-2017, 11:18 AM
I merely pointed out that he wasn't included in the net/net analysis...

I will play though... how is morris any different for what the Celts need? he is a vastly undersized 4 who played last year next to one of the best 5s on defense in the league. Is Horford gonna protect him like Drummond?

In terms of AS they are more similar than not... surprisingly amir had a better year statistically than Morris...

Also, this idea that Bradley's value was maximized is beyond ridiculous... Ainge was put under the gun because Hayward is a greedy fcuk who demanded a max deal when all he had to do was take a couple of 100 thousand less to keep Bradley so he could be dealt later if need be.

I don't expect any logical or reasonable responses from Celtic fans but while the team marginally improved in terms of raw players ... the improvement on the court will be minimal and the Celts still will be facing the dilemma of an IT extension...

"Marginally improved in terms of raw players"... just no.

warfelg
07-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Amir Johnson been on the decline for a while now. Shocked 76ers wasted money on him. Guess be just a veteran guy in the locker room. Bit pricey though.

It's a one year deal. Who cares how much for one year.

Vinylman
07-11-2017, 11:28 AM
"Marginally improved in terms of raw players"... just no.

I don't expect any logical or reasonable responses from Celtic fans

Green_Monster
07-11-2017, 12:29 PM
I don't expect any logical or reasonable responses from Celtic fans

With the garbage you're posting, is it even worth it? Like the thing I quoted, someone could explain to you how much better Hayward+Morris is over Bradley+Olynyk+Johnson (LOL), and you wouldn't listen. So what's the point? The Celtics can/could continue to make great moves and you'll never give them credit.

They got a good amount better, and any logical NBA fan will tell you the same thing.

Jamiecballer
07-11-2017, 02:14 PM
With the garbage you're posting, is it even worth it? Like the thing I quoted, someone could explain to you how much better Hayward+Morris is over Bradley+Olynyk+Johnson (LOL), and you wouldn't listen. So what's the point? The Celtics can/could continue to make great moves and you'll never give them credit.

They got a good amount better, and any logical NBA fan will tell you the same thing.

i think you are probably wrong on that one. their ceiling has improved with Tatum on board but i don't think it's a stretch to view them as marginally improved for the moment. not like that's such a bad thing since they were pretty good already.

WaDe03
07-11-2017, 02:39 PM
The one thing people are overlooking here is that history repeats itself, and Al Horford is historic. He will repeat his all time greatness next year as he did last year, specifically against the Cavs.

hugepatsfan
07-11-2017, 02:53 PM
The Celtics are clearly and decisively a better team on paper compared to last year. We'll see if that translates to on court production and how much exactly they've closed the gap vs CLE, because it was/is quite substantial due the unstoppable force that is Lebron.

Green_Monster
07-11-2017, 04:29 PM
i think you are probably wrong on that one. their ceiling has improved with Tatum on board but i don't think it's a stretch to view them as marginally improved for the moment. not like that's such a bad thing since they were pretty good already.

They are clearly better than they were last year. Marginal would be if they kept the same team and drafted Tatum. Hayward is a massive upgrade for a team that lacked anyone who could create their own shot outside of Isaiah.

Green_Monster
07-11-2017, 04:31 PM
The one thing people are overlooking here is that history repeats itself, and Al Horford is historic. He will repeat his all time greatness next year as he did last year, specifically against the Cavs.

There's no way you're older than 12 years old lol.

corky831
07-11-2017, 05:11 PM

Horford suffered a bad concussion that affected him most of the early part of the yr. He was a big reason why we won the Wizards series. He's one of the most skilled big men in the NBA....dishing out 5 dimes a game. I think he will be much better this yr, by being fully healthy, and having a year under his belt in Steven's system. Also, having better players around him in Tatum and Hayward.

hugepatsfan
07-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Horford suffered a bad concussion that affected him most of the early part of the yr. He was a big reason why we won the Wizards series. He's one of the most skilled big men in the NBA....dishing out 5 dimes a game. I think he will be much better this yr, by being fully healthy, and having a year under his belt in Steven's system. Also, having better players around him in Tatum and Hayward.

There's no point in basketball reasoning with him on Horford. Horford shot 64% from the field and 58% from 3 in the first two rounds. Green Monster praised that as historic shooting efficiency. Wade03 doesn't thin Horford is very good so now he trolls that Horford is a historic player when no one ever claimed such. It's just a silly game he likes to play with himself.

mrblisterdundee
07-13-2017, 01:50 AM
I figured once the Celtics didn't go with Fultz, Bradley would become more dispensable. That back court was just too small. Fultz would have paired well with Bradley, but maybe Tatum can be that large shooting guard next to Thomas. He seems the most likely out of Boston's myriad of wings to slot down.

Kyben36
07-13-2017, 03:48 AM
personally I would have kept him as a 6th man and traded Crowder. but that's just me. also. they have so many 3s now.

homie564
07-13-2017, 07:03 AM
personally I would have kept him as a 6th man and traded Crowder. but that's just me. also. they have so many 3s now.

Most of those 3s can also play the 2. Stevens has a "positionless" system too where he can play with 3 guards or 3 wings

WaDe03
07-13-2017, 05:46 PM

Wrong, I'm 13.

eDush
07-13-2017, 11:02 PM

Wrong, I'm 13.He meant ur IQ so calm down u wannabe lakers fan :facepalm:

WaDe03
07-13-2017, 11:09 PM
He meant ur IQ so calm down u wannabe lakers fan :facepalm:

I'm pretty sure he meant my age baby girl. He did say "12 years old." Speaking of IQ, I would guess that's right around yours. :clap: :nod: :ohno: :laugh: :dance: