PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Nowitzki signs 2-year deal with Mavericks

Redrum187
07-07-2017, 04:29 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/mavericks-finalizing-dirk-nowitzki-contract/1mqnwe9rdxbsk18f175d8sk92l

The 2nd best PF of all time signs a 2 year deal worth $10,000,000. The 2nd year is a team option. He joins Kobe Bryant as the only two players to play 20 seasons for one franchise. :clap:

Ahriman
07-07-2017, 05:28 AM
Gotta appreciate the flexibility Nowitzki gives to the franchise. But honestly I don't see how they are going to spend their available cap? They have around $28m available and still have to pay Noel. I certainly hope they don't give him the max

GoferKing_
07-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Man, I respect Dirk.

ManningToTyree
07-07-2017, 07:40 AM
Dirk is the man

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Gotta appreciate the flexibility Nowitzki gives to the franchise. But honestly I don't see how they are going to spend their available cap? They have around $28m available and still have to pay Noel. I certainly hope they don't give him the max

They ate McRoberts and a second round pick but gave up Hammons. That was a waste of some cap.

Jamiecballer
07-07-2017, 09:10 AM
outrage. generic outrage (here).

mightybosstone
07-07-2017, 09:51 AM
I respect the hell out of Dirk for everything he's done in his career and the loyalty he's shown his franchise, which is so rare in today's NBA. But it's just a bummer to see him wasted on such a mediocre team. It would be awesome to watch him play meaningful basketball in the playoffs again, but I don't think we ever will.

I'm not knocking the Mavs though, as much as I may hate them personally. Kudos to Cuban for seeing the writing on the wall and going into rebuilding mode when he knew it was time for it. And he's clearly built such a strong foundation of trust and loyalty with his superstar that Dirk wants to retire with his franchise. The guy is a great GM.

Mr.B
07-07-2017, 09:43 PM
They ate McRoberts and a second round pick but gave up Hammons. That was a waste of some cap.

For the short term yes it's a waist of cap space. Long term though the Mavs actually save money. By dumping Hammonds (who's a total spare) they will save about $1.5 mil on next year's cap (McBob's contract expires after this year). It's not much but it will help them resign Curry.

Scoots
07-07-2017, 09:55 PM
The CBA should allow vets past 36 to count 50% on the cap and not count for a roster spot so they can keep going as long as they want.

Mr.B
07-07-2017, 09:59 PM
I respect the hell out of Dirk for everything he's done in his career and the loyalty he's shown his franchise, which is so rare in today's NBA. But it's just a bummer to see him wasted on such a mediocre team. It would be awesome to watch him play meaningful basketball in the playoffs again, but I don't think we ever will.

I'm not knocking the Mavs though, as much as I may hate them personally. Kudos to Cuban for seeing the writing on the wall and going into rebuilding mode when he knew it was time for it. And he's clearly built such a strong foundation of trust and loyalty with his superstar that Dirk wants to retire with his franchise. The guy is a great GM.

I'm a huge Mavs fan and I agree that it's sad to see Dirk spend these last years on a rebuilding team. And as much as I would hate to see him in another uniform if Dirk decided he wanted to leave I would still cheer him on and root for him to win another title.

He doesn't want to go anywhere though. Even though he's taken a huge pay cut a couple of times in his career I believe he's still top 5 all time in career earnings (not including endorsements). So it's not like he's poor. Also he's got a lifetime gig with the Mavs if he wants. Hell Dirk's kid will probably have lifetimes jobs with the Mavs if they want.

Heediot
07-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Dirk, Duncan and Pau are cut from a different cloth. They talk to talk in terms of sacrifice. KD to a close degree as well. The banana boat crew and most other cats are too hollywood and too much about brand and finances to take these kind of paycuts.

Redrum187
07-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Dirk, Duncan and Pau are cut from a different cloth. They talk to talk in terms of sacrifice. KD to a close degree as well. The banana boat crew and most other cats are too hollywood and too much about brand and finances to take these kind of paycuts.

Dirk and Duncan are my favorite because of this. Kawhi is quickly coming to my 3rd favorite player of all time too. I love that quiet demeanor that some people mistake as "soft" or "intimidated"... no, it's called "being confident"... not superficial confidence we see with most superstars, but genuine confidence. A lot of people think "confidence" and "humility" is an oxymoron... nope... one can be confident and humble.

Heediot
07-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Dirk and Duncan are my favorite because of this. Kawhi is quickly coming to my 3rd favorite player of all time too. I love that quiet demeanor that some people mistake as "soft" or "intimidated"... no, it's called "confident"... not superficial confidence we see with most superstars, but genuine confidence. A lot of people think "confidence" and "humility" is an oxymoron... nope... one can be confident and humble.

Totally agree.

Vikes_Fan04
07-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Dirk and Duncan are my favorite because of this. Kawhi is quickly coming to my 3rd favorite player of all time too. I love that quiet demeanor that some people mistake as "soft" or "intimidated"... no, it's called "being confident"... not superficial confidence we see with most superstars, but genuine confidence. A lot of people think "confidence" and "humility" is an oxymoron... nope... one can be confident and humble.

Kawhi's quietness is intimidating if you ask me. Kobe says he has that mamba mentality. Quiet mamba is scary.

I'm very happy for Dirk. Easily the greatest international player of all time. :clap:

hugepatsfan
07-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Dirk's one of the dumbest players in NBA history. He's left an obscene amount of money on the table for his career. And they've been pretty trash for years now. I've read that's he's left almost $200M on the table to be surrounded with Wes Matthews, Harrison Barnes, etc. SMFH. He's been getting finessed for years now.

Heediot
07-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Dirk's one of the dumbest players in NBA history. He's left an obscene amount of money on the table for his career. And they've been pretty trash for years now. I've read that's he's left almost $200M on the table to be surrounded with Wes Matthews, Harrison Barnes, etc. SMFH. He's been getting finessed for years now.

There are other things that give people contentment and peace of mind other then money. Different strokes for different folks. Yeah he relied on the Mavs to surround hum with better pieces, but I don't think he has any regrets though, and that takes a lot of character and strength in its own way,

Mr.B
07-08-2017, 07:48 PM

Did you also hear that he's like 4th in all time earnings or n the NBA (not including endorsements)? As I stated before, being as humble and loyal as he's been throughout his career as he's set for life in his post NBA career/life. Cuban will take care of him and his family forever like he's doing with Michael Finley. He gave him a great opportunity for a post NBA career and Finley took the opportunity and is running with it. Dirk will get the same opportunity. If he was all about the money throughout his career he might not have been given the same opportunities. Sometimes it's better to build relationships than it is to take all the money.

Shammyguy3
07-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Kawhi's quietness is intimidating if you ask me. Kobe says he has that mamba mentality. Quiet mamba is scary.

I'm very happy for Dirk. Easily the greatest international player of all time. :clap:
Hakeem

Mr.B
07-08-2017, 11:42 PM
Hakeem

Hakeem really is the only guy that has an argument to be in the conversation with Dirk as greatest international players of all time.

Shammyguy3
07-08-2017, 11:44 PM
Hakeem really is the only guy that has an argument to be in the conversation with Dirk as greatest international players of all time.

Duncan? Just remembered he's a Virgin Islands guy

Mr.B
07-09-2017, 01:34 AM
Duncan? Just remembered he's a Virgin Islands guy

The Virgin Islands are an American Colony though aren't they?

Saddletramp
07-09-2017, 02:26 AM
Did Duncan ever play for Team USA? He's not International. .

Saddletramp
07-09-2017, 02:36 AM
He signed a contract last year for a lot of money but the team opted out of his $25 million price tag for this year. Him signing for $5 million (with a $5M team option for next year) should mean that they're spending some big time money. But to my knowledge no one has offered Noel any offers so I'd imagine that Cuban gave him a time frame to get the best deal he could get in RFA and Noel still hasn't gotten it. Every day he doesn't sign an offer sheet I imagine Cuban's offer is getting a little less and less until Noel just signs out right with the Mavs. But why wouldn't Dirk wait to see what Noel gets offered? Doesn't seem like anything else is brewing in Dallas.

Always liked the Stout Kraut. But I'm wondering how much of this is loyalty to Cuban and not minding wasting away his final years and how much is him happy with his one title, being the All Time man in Dallas and knowing that taking pay cuts now will up his pay for whatever he does with the Mavs in retirement. Think it's kind of garbage that guys can take less now and then get paid whateverthe**** after they retire.

Jeffy25
07-09-2017, 02:36 AM
I'm a huge Mavs fan and I agree that it's sad to see Dirk spend these last years on a rebuilding team. And as much as I would hate to see him in another uniform if Dirk decided he wanted to leave I would still cheer him on and root for him to win another title.

He doesn't want to go anywhere though. Even though he's taken a huge pay cut a couple of times in his career I believe he's still top 5 all time in career earnings (not including endorsements). So it's not like he's poor. Also he's got a lifetime gig with the Mavs if he wants. Hell Dirk's kid will probably have lifetimes jobs with the Mavs if they want.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/earnings/

These are currents

Kobe is at $323M
Duncan $238M
Garnett $334M
Shaq $286M

Mr.B
07-09-2017, 04:38 AM
That link is only showing active players. And are you including endorsements? That link shows Dirk with $241M in career earnings.

Mr.B
07-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Check out this link from Business Insider. It has Dirk listed as the 4th all time highest earners in NBA history.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/highest-paid-nba-players-all-time-2017-2

hugepatsfan
07-09-2017, 02:58 PM
A headline I saw said he's left $194M on the table. That's just ****ing stupid. I mean if he's happy good for him but you gotta be some kind of idiot to turn down $194M.

Jamiecballer
07-09-2017, 04:13 PM
We get it, you can't imagine it

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Redrum187
07-09-2017, 05:39 PM
A headline I saw said he's left $194M on the table. That's just ****ing stupid. I mean if he's happy good for him but you gotta be some kind of idiot to turn down $194M.

To us poor people (non-millionaires), we find it difficult to leave that much money on the table because we don't have anything close to that in real life. Try looking at it from a different perspective. If you were worth 100 million dollars, are you twice as more happy and/or powerful than if you only had 50 million dollars? What if you earned another 100 million dollars, are you going to be have twice the fulfillment because you doubled your net worth?

I totally get what you're saying, but I'm not sure you're looking at it from Dirk's point-of-view.

Mr.B
07-09-2017, 05:47 PM
To us poor people (non-millionaires), we find it difficult to leave that much money on the table because we don't have anything close to that in real life. Try looking at it from a different perspective. If you were worth 100 million dollars, are you twice as more happy and/or powerful than if you only had 50 million dollars? What if you earned another 100 million dollars, are you going to be have twice the fulfillment because you doubled your net worth?

I totally get what you're saying, but I'm not sure you're looking at it from Dirk's point-of-view.

Also factor in that his wife comes from money too. They have way more money than they'll ever spend. Their grandkids are set for life. Plus he's now in a situational where he has a billionaire that feels like he's indebted to him. His and his families life after basketball is going to be very fruitful. I would not be surprised if Dirk ends up as a part owner of the Mavs at some point.

Scoots
07-09-2017, 06:04 PM
I would like the next CBA to make salaries secret somehow.

TrueFan420
07-09-2017, 11:30 PM
I would like the next CBA to make salaries secret somehow.

Lol that would never work

Scoots
07-10-2017, 12:03 AM
Lol that would never work

LOL, I know ... I just realized it would be nice if what the players were making was no longer talked about so much.

TrueFan420
07-10-2017, 12:13 AM
LOL, I know ... I just realized it would be nice if what the players were making was no longer talked about so much.
I feel but it is what it is. These GM's give out dumb contracts and need to take more heat for them. Maybe they'll finally learn.