PDA

View Full Version : Otto Porter's Max Offer Sheet: Should Wizards Match It?

kobe4thewinbang
07-06-2017, 10:53 PM
Link with details: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/07/wizards-receive-otto-porters-offer-sheet-from-nets.html?fv-home=true&post-id=68634

Says it would put Wizards into the Luxury Tax which they always have avoided. They've already signed Jodie Meeks to a 2-year/7-million deal, and rumors of an extension for John Wall surfaced at the start of FA. Do you think they should match it or let him go to Brooklyn, assuming he passes all physicals?

The offer sheet includes a 15% trade kicker and a highly unusual clause that says Porter will receive half of his yearly salary by October 1st before each season, which is before games start. I wonder how that works with guaranteed salary, as we know teams like to cut players before deadlines when money would kick in.

Just sounds icky to me. Didn't know a team interested in a player could throw a mess at the current team. I heard last season that the Miami Heat were going to try and renegotiate Tyler Johnson's poison-pill contract offer from the Nets after they matched the sheet. Those damn Nets!

hugepatsfan
07-06-2017, 10:57 PM
Nets are just trying to drag everyone down so that they're easier to pass once the Nets recover from that trainwreck BOS deal.

WaDe03
07-06-2017, 11:05 PM
No they shouldn't. That's a terrible deal. Save your money for Cousins next summer.

LOb0
07-06-2017, 11:09 PM
I think they have to, notice John Wall hasn't signed yet. I think he's waiting on that.

likemystylez
07-06-2017, 11:21 PM
you cant use a max contract on otto porter- if nj wants to screw their future up for another 5 yrs- let them do it. The max contracts need to be reserved for guys who are fixtures in the all star game and personally id prefer that they be mvp candidates as oppose to average starters

Cracka2HI!
07-06-2017, 11:35 PM
Honestly I think Oubre has just as much upside or more. I like Porter. He's a really nice player but that's a stupid contract. It seems like teams are reacting better to the higher cap this year but there are still some outliers and The Nets have to pay someone.

GREATNESS ONE
07-06-2017, 11:54 PM
**** no. These contracts are stupid as ****. They acting like the Cao is 120mill. Pass if I was the Wiz and get Demarcus Cousnins. Next season or trade deadline.

eDush
07-06-2017, 11:56 PM
**** no. These contracts are stupid as ****. They acting like the Cao is 120mill. Pass if I was the Wiz and get Demarcus Cousnins. Next season or trade deadline.Offering what? Signed Otter and they would have an invaluable trading chip!

Now that is smart.... :bow:

TylerSL
07-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Hell no. Wizards would be as inept as the Nets if they agree to pay a guy who averages less than 10 points a game for a career over $26 million a year. Absurd.

Scoots
07-07-2017, 01:39 AM
you cant use a max contract on otto porter- if nj wants to screw their future up for another 5 yrs- let them do it. The max contracts need to be reserved for guys who are fixtures in the all star game and personally id prefer that they be mvp candidates as oppose to average starters

So, let's see, there are 30 teams, the NBAPA accepted max contracts expecting there to be 2 per team ... that's 60 players ... how many all-stars/mvp candidates are there?

If you judge worthiness for max contracts by the top 5 players in the NBA then you are missing the point of the max contract. It was added to take money away from the top 5-10 players and give it to the next several tiers of players.

Scoots
07-07-2017, 01:41 AM
The Nets have to overpay to get players ... the issue is Washington can't replace Porter and it's just rich guy money, and they can't waste Wall's time being cheap about paying the best player they are likely to have at that critical position for the next few years.

JWorthy42
07-07-2017, 01:42 AM
No.

More-Than-Most
07-07-2017, 01:44 AM
the issue is this is a lose/lose now lol... If the wizards match they are cutting out their legs from under them because they cant win and wont be able to do much else... If they dont match then the nets now get him and **** themselves further with that contract... Nets are just like YOLO right now and trying to use the titanic to sink everybody elses ice berg lol.

5ass
07-07-2017, 01:44 AM
Link with details: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/07/wizards-receive-otto-porters-offer-sheet-from-nets.html?fv-home=true&post-id=68634

Says it would put Wizards into the Luxury Tax which they always have avoided. They've already signed Jodie Meeks to a 2-year/7-million deal, and rumors of an extension for John Wall surfaced at the start of FA. Do you think they should match it or let him go to Brooklyn, assuming he passes all physicals?

The offer sheet includes a 15% trade kicker and a highly unusual clause that says Porter will receive half of his yearly salary by October 1st before each season, which is before games start. I wonder how that works with guaranteed salary, as we know teams like to cut players before deadlines when money would kick in.

Just sounds icky to me. Didn't know a team interested in a player could throw a mess at the current team. I heard last season that the Miami Heat were going to try and renegotiate Tyler Johnson's poison-pill contract offer from the Nets after they matched the sheet. Those damn Nets!
And Allen Crabbe.

GoferKing_
07-07-2017, 03:26 AM
Don't match it Wiz, it's a trap!!!

Vinylman
07-07-2017, 07:46 AM
It would be good for the league if they Didn't match because it would take the Nets out of the RFA Arms race moving forward.

tp13baby
07-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Offering what? Signed Otter and they would have an invaluable trading chip!

Otto if he doesn't perform better than last year his contract looks ridiculous. That's not a trade chip. No team will commit to Otto if he is the 3rd best player on your team. He improved but he has to take another step for him to deserve his contract.

The Nets have to overpay to get players ... the issue is Washington can't replace Porter and it's just rich guy money, and they can't waste Wall's time being cheap about paying the best player they are likely to have at that critical position for the next few years.

Oubre for price might be worth it. Plus Cousins, PG, Lebron and others are free agents. Otto doesn't put them over the top and Oubre might be able to replace a lot of the production.

eDush
07-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Offering what? Signed Otter and they would have an invaluable trading chip!

Otto if he doesn't perform better than last year his contract looks ridiculous. That's not a trade chip. No team will commit to Otto if he is the 3rd best player on your team. He improved but he has to take another step for him to deserve his contract.

Oubre for price might be worth it. Plus Cousins, PG, Lebron and others are free agents. Otto doesn't put them over the top and Oubre might be able to replace a lot of the production.I am talking about Otto who has steadily improved every season -NOT Barnes who has regress every year after his solid rookie season. And I am no Otto lover, he should continue to improve to justify his contract as their 3rd best player and some days even better than Beal :nod:.

And Dray is our 3rd best player while Klay is our 4th best so no team would give them the max much less commit to them? :crazy:

likemystylez
07-07-2017, 11:36 AM
So, let's see, there are 30 teams, the NBAPA accepted max contracts expecting there to be 2 per team ... that's 60 players ... how many all-stars/mvp candidates are there?

If you judge worthiness for max contracts by the top 5 players in the NBA then you are missing the point of the max contract. It was added to take money away from the top 5-10 players and give it to the next several tiers of players.

and is it reasonable to assume otto porter is in that next group of players?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski‏
Verified account
@wojespn
Following

More
Washington has now renounced Bojan Bogdanovic, freeing him to join Pacers on the two-year, $21M deal, league source tells ESPN.
2:38 PM - 7 Jul 2017

Adrian Wojnarowski‏
Verified account
*@wojespn 2h
2 hours ago

More
Adrian Wojnarowski Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski
Message is clear to Brooklyn now: Washington's matching Porter's $106M offer sheet, and Nets soon back on market with space to pursue KCP.

Its not official. But Woj hinting around of a match.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Wizards are about to **** thenselves. I'm not surprised though. Lack of cap space will be the reason Wall leaves to try and build a contender somewhere else.

IndyRealist
07-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Don't match it Wiz, it's a trap!!!

As a fan of the team that matched Roy Hibbert, I agree 100%.

Cal827
07-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Horrible Idea to match... Nobody is going to take that contract off them, and it doesn't put them over the top in the East.... they're gonna be in the category that Boston/Toronto/Milwaukee are going to be in. Good, but still an almost certain out to a Cavs team with Lebron. Unlike the Bucks/Celtics, there's not going to be much more upside. Might as well see what you have with Oubre and sign try for PG or Cousins. If Oubre isn't doing too well, they'll still likely be able to convince a veteran or 2 to join and go from there (if they can add one of the two, they become much more attractive, especially since Lebron will get older haha).

If they resign him for this much, they better hope that he's going to explode, or they're gonna be ****ed in Washington.

daleja424
07-07-2017, 08:30 PM
See here is the thing:

1) He is absolutely not worth it... and they will regret this contract if they match.

2) You have to resign him if you hope to get Wall to extend...

So even though it will ruin the upswing of this franchise... you have to do it if you want Wall imo.

Kyben36
07-07-2017, 08:57 PM
I don't think so. porter is a solid role player but hardley better than a 4th option. you can't spend a quarter of your salary on a player of his caliber.

like some said. save money sign a big star with that money.

Kyben36
07-07-2017, 08:58 PM
which of the deals did the blazers match look good.

5ass
07-09-2017, 01:33 PM
They just matched

WaDe03
07-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Wall is gone, watch.

Dade County
07-09-2017, 01:50 PM
See here is the thing:

1) He is absolutely not worth it... and they will regret this contract if they match.

2) You have to resign him if you hope to get Wall to extend...

So even though it will ruin the upswing of this franchise... you have to do it if you want Wall imo.

The thing is, maybe it will be smater to see if they can pull off a S&T with the kings. Something lol.

The answer isn't to sign Porter to that ridiculous contract. Make a move that can make your team actually better.

Scoots
07-09-2017, 01:52 PM
They just matched

I thought they matched yesterday.

LA4life24/8
07-09-2017, 02:05 PM
This wasnt a good match lol. You gotta let him go and tell wall you'll do your damndest to get another player of his choosing and if you fail trade johnny wall

Scoots
07-09-2017, 02:26 PM
This wasnt a good match lol. You gotta let him go and tell wall you'll do your damndest to get another player of his choosing and if you fail trade johnny wall

The problem is that they have no way to get a player as good as Porter, let alone better, while also getting better as a team overall. And who, specifically, do you think they should target?

Jeffy25
07-09-2017, 02:56 PM

But that can't be reality with this sort of financial capped market in the NBA.

I wouldn't match this on Porter though, even if Wall is expecting it. I would blow up the team before wasting this much on Porter.

And I say all of this even with Porter being arguably my favorite player in the NBA (he's from my hometown and we have a lot of mutual friends). Let him walk. The Wizards can continue to build around Gortat, Wall, and Beal. They need a stretch 3/4 any way.