PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Olynyk signs with the Heat 4 years $50 million; James Johnson re-signs 4 years

HandsOnTheWheel
07-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Discuss.

COOLbeans
07-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Olynyk's sa good player. He was effective in a crowded frontcourt. He will bring the Heat some toughness and some good big man shooting

homie564
07-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Good for Olynyk, didn't get nearly as overpaid as I thought he would... still a little overpaid lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaDe03
07-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Good pick up on a tradeable contract if needed, just like Waiters. They're very deep but not too top heavy, sort of like the Celtics teams the last few years.

Whiteside
Dragic
Waiters
Kelly
Winslow
JRich
TJ
JJ
McGruder (very underrated)
Bam (NBA ready, physical beast with the potential to be the steal of the draft)
Ellington

Might be forgetting a guy or 2, also sounds like they may not be done in FA.

WaDe03
07-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Perfect fit next to Whiteside if that was the goal with the starters. 51% shooter from the corner, Spos favorite spot.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Good pick up on a tradeable contract if needed, just like Waiters. They're very deep but not too top heavy, sort of like the Celtics teams the last few years.

Whiteside
Dragic
Waiters
Kelly
Winslow
JRich
TJ
JJ
McGruder (very underrated)
Bam (NBA ready, physical beast with the potential to be the steal of the draft)
Ellington

Might be forgetting a guy or 2, also sounds like they may not be done in FA.

Easily a top 4-5 team in the East.

WaDe03
07-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Easily a top 4-5 team in the East.

I agree. Continue to play the style they ended the season with while adding Bam Kelly and Winslow. They need to be working with Winslow daily on his jumper. Who knows, maybe the GOAT returns via buyout to take their playoff level up a notch.

WaDe03
07-06-2017, 09:45 PM
I think Miami still has that 4.3M exception too. Wonder if they use it on someone now or wait to see the buyout market.

LOb0
07-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Glad JJ got paid. Liked him since Chicago drafted him. Thought he'd be better but he's going to the bank now.

daleja424
07-06-2017, 09:55 PM
All things considered... HEAT could be just as good as anyone not named Cleveland. Boston still has an edge as well...but don't think it is quite as big as people might think.

hugepatsfan
07-06-2017, 10:32 PM
He's a good player. Best off the bench because his lack of strength/athleticism is easier to exploit against starting caliber bigs. He can shoot the ball. Biggest issue on offense is just that he's not aggressive enough. He's got a good floor game for a 5. On defense, he isn't good but he won't kill you. Terrible rebounder - watching him go for a board off a free throw is hilarious lol.

In a vacuum I don't think this is a bad deal but man, they have a lot of money invested in mediocre players. Tyler Johnson, Dion Waiters, Kelly Olynyk, James Johnson will count for like $60M of cap next year I think. Sure any of those deals can be moved, but not so much money without taking any salary back. They're basically out on FA for 2 years now and they desperately need starpower.

TylerSL
07-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Obviously getting Hayward and James Johnson would have been the best option but this is a pretty good Plan B. Waiters is on a good deal and Olynyk is a good player who will be even better with us. We still have our mid level and hopefully we can get another wing player.

Dragic/T Johnson
Waiters/Richardson/Ellington
Winslow/McGruder
J Johnson/White/Adebayo/Haslem
Whiteside/Olynyk

That's a lot of players good enough to be in NBA rotations and we will once again be quite fun. We won't win the championship, but Heat basketball is, and will continue to be, a treasure.

TylerSL
07-06-2017, 10:47 PM
He's a good player. Best off the bench because his lack of strength/athleticism is easier to exploit against starting caliber bigs. He can shoot the ball. Biggest issue on offense is just that he's not aggressive enough. He's got a good floor game for a 5. On defense, he isn't good but he won't kill you. Terrible rebounder - watching him go for a board off a free throw is hilarious lol.

In a vacuum I don't think this is a bad deal but man, they have a lot of money invested in mediocre players. Tyler Johnson, Dion Waiters, Kelly Olynyk, James Johnson will count for like $60M of cap next year I think. Sure any of those deals can be moved, but not so much money without taking any salary back. They're basically out on FA for 2 years now and they desperately need starpower.

Agree, we will be fun to watch but what this team badly needs is a superstar player.

WaDe03
07-06-2017, 11:01 PM
JJ 4 years 60M

Green_Monster
07-06-2017, 11:02 PM
All things considered... HEAT could be just as good as anyone not named Cleveland. Boston still has an edge as well...but don't think it is quite as big as people might think.

They didn't even make the playoffs last year and have added... Kelly Olynyk. They played well to end the year but the whole year counts.

homie564
07-06-2017, 11:40 PM
Obviously getting Hayward and James Johnson would have been the best option but this is a pretty good Plan B. Waiters is on a good deal and Olynyk is a good player who will be even better with us. We still have our mid level and hopefully we can get another wing player.

Dragic/T Johnson
Waiters/Richardson/Ellington
Winslow/McGruder
J Johnson/White/Adebayo/Haslem
Whiteside/Olynyk

That's a lot of players good enough to be in NBA rotations and we will once again be quite fun. We won't win the championship, but Heat basketball is, and will continue to be, a treasure.

Curious as to why you think Olynyk will be better in Miami than he was in Boston?... he played about as perfect a role in Boston as he could for a player of his caliber. I don't think he's going to be better outside of Steven's system. He was actually kind of a running joke in Boston, everyone knew there was no way he was as good as his stats say. He's also the least graceful basketball player in the league lol. He's a solid player, but I don't think I'd count on him being better

TylerSL
07-07-2017, 12:02 AM
Curious as to why you think Olynyk will be better in Miami than he was in Boston?... he played about as perfect a role in Boston as he could for a player of his caliber. I don't think he's going to be better outside of Steven's system. He was actually kind of a running joke in Boston, everyone knew there was no way he was as good as his stats say. He's also the least graceful basketball player in the league lol. He's a solid player, but I don't think I'd count on him being better

Because he'll get more minutes with the Heat and will probably get more shots too. He will become a better defender with Miami because they force their players to commit to that side of the ball. I believe he will thrive with Spoelstra and company. Not saying he'll be an all-star, but better than 9/5.

TylerSL
07-07-2017, 12:10 AM
They didn't even make the playoffs last year and have added... Kelly Olynyk. They played well to end the year but the whole year counts.

You have to consider what they were working with to begin last year. We lost Wade, a guy who had led the team for 13 years, and had a brand new roster full of guys who never played together. We lost our leader and had to find an identity, of course we weren't going to be good. The 2nd half of the season is far more reflective of the kind of team we will be next season. That doesn't mean we will win 60 games as we would have with our 2nd half pace, but we will be a good team. With the east as weak as they are I daresay we could be the 3 or 4 seed easily.

eDush
07-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Olynyk's sa good player. He was effective in a crowded frontcourt. He will bring the Heat some toughness and some good big man shootingIf pulling players' arm out of their socket is tough then I suppose so :(

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 06:58 AM
Because he'll get more minutes with the Heat and will probably get more shots too. He will become a better defender with Miami because they force their players to commit to that side of the ball. I believe he will thrive with Spoelstra and company. Not saying he'll be an all-star, but better than 9/5.

This was funny. Clearly you're not familiar with Brad Stevens and the Celtics. The entire team was built around defense. If you didn't play defense, you didn't play unless you're dropping nearly 30pts a night (see IT).

Olynyk is a wretched defender whom Stevens made look serviceable. Same with rebounding. You'll see soon enough. But I can guarantee you one thing, Olynyk will not be better defensively. Spolstra may be able to maximize him as Stevens did because he's a great coach as well. But he won't get more out of Olynyk, there's nothing more for him to give. My running joke with Olynyk is watching him play is like watching a newborn deer run on ice...You'll see soon enough. He has a hard time controlling his body, he can't move laterally, He's not strong enough and gets pushed around. Anyone knows if you want to beat on Olynyk...Do it, he'll get frustrated and be out of the game in no time. Olynyks lack of minutes is completely due to who he is as a player, his defense doesn't allow him to be on the court longer.

He may score more and rebound more if you do intend to play him more minutes. But I think you'll quickly see why that's a mistake.

Offensively he's one of the best 5's in the game.

mightybosstone
07-07-2017, 07:43 AM
I both like and hate what the Heat have done this offseason. They signed three pretty good players with potential to reasonable, if slightly high, contracts. And ultimately they improved the team and should be in the hunt for a top 5 seed in the East next season.

On the flip side, I loathe this philosophy. The worst thing you can do in professional sports today is be mediocre, and the fastest way to the middle is to sign a whole bunch of good players to contracts over $10 million per year. The Heat don't have a single player I'd put in the top 30 in the league, and now they're out of cap room and they're locked into a LOT of long-term deals.

They have zero chance to realistically get to the finals with this squad barring Whiteside suddenly waking up as the second coming of Hakeem Olajuwon tomorrow. And now they have no cap room to add any star players in the future. It's like Pat Riley was determimed to me as medicore as possible as fast as possible. And I just don't get it.

Ahriman
07-07-2017, 07:52 AM
On the flip side, I loathe this philosophy. The worst thing you can do in professional sports today is be mediocre, and the fastest way to the middle is to sign a whole bunch of good players to contracts over $10 million per year. The Heat don't have a single player I'd put in the top 30 in the league, and now they're out of cap room and they're locked into a LOT of long-term deals.

The issue with that reasoning is that you end up in the league with 3 to 4 clear contenders with the rest being there as sparring partners, then people say the NBA is not fun watching
The Heat is locked with Dragic-Whiteside for the next 3 years, so might as well try and put a competitive team around those two, because if they were to blew it up they might not get much for Dragic and I'd say even for Whiteside.
At least that'll be one the few fun teams to watch in the East

But I wholly agree that they are a SF playoff team at best and have no shot at a title

Lil Rhody
07-07-2017, 07:58 AM
When he was on the Celtics he was trash and dirty blah blah blah

Signs with the heat great signing good player

Yo Riley strikes again

Dade County
07-07-2017, 08:02 AM

These contracts can be easily moved. Pat will use them in a trade for a star/super stat in the near future.

These players playing in Spo system will do well with each other, and their numbers will look good.

A lot of free agents coming up this season and next season so Pat will get the job done.

And all it takes for one of these players to say, I want to play in Miami and it kind of forces the other team hand.

But we will see. It set up where we can move two or three of these players or in a multi-team trade and free up cap in an instant.

ewing
07-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Perfect fit next to Whiteside if that was the goal with the starters. 51% shooter from the corner, Spos favorite spot.

i think he fits well next to whiteside as well. Whiteside makes up for the fact that he doesn't have much paint presence and Kelly can get some buckets. Shame you ran out on this team. They're not bad

ewing
07-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Its a lot harder next to Whiteside.

TylerSL
07-07-2017, 09:27 AM
This was funny. Clearly you're not familiar with Brad Stevens and the Celtics. The entire team was built around defense. If you didn't play defense, you didn't play unless you're dropping nearly 30pts a night (see IT).

Olynyk is a wretched defender whom Stevens made look serviceable. Same with rebounding. You'll see soon enough. But I can guarantee you one thing, Olynyk will not be better defensively. Spolstra may be able to maximize him as Stevens did because he's a great coach as well. But he won't get more out of Olynyk, there's nothing more for him to give. My running joke with Olynyk is watching him play is like watching a newborn deer run on ice...You'll see soon enough. He has a hard time controlling his body, he can't move laterally, He's not strong enough and gets pushed around. Anyone knows if you want to beat on Olynyk...Do it, he'll get frustrated and be out of the game in no time. Olynyks lack of minutes is completely due to who he is as a player, his defense doesn't allow him to be on the court longer.

He may score more and rebound more if you do intend to play him more minutes. But I think you'll quickly see why that's a mistake.

Offensively he's one of the best 5's in the game.

Guess we will find out. With the Heat he will be in the best shape of his life.

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Guess we will find out. With the Heat he will be in the best shape of his life.

Shape has never been an issue with Olynyk. His poor defense has nothing to do with conditioning.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 09:35 AM
i think he fits well next to whiteside as well. Whiteside makes up for the fact that he doesn't have much paint presence and Kelly can get some buckets. Shame you ran out on this team. They're not bad

I'll be back when the GOAT retires or returns.

mightybosstone
07-07-2017, 09:43 AM
The issue with that reasoning is that you end up in the league with 3 to 4 clear contenders with the rest being there as sparring partners, then people say the NBA is not fun watching
The Heat is locked with Dragic-Whiteside for the next 3 years, so might as well try and put a competitive team around those two, because if they were to blew it up they might not get much for Dragic and I'd say even for Whiteside.
At least that'll be one the few fun teams to watch in the East

But I wholly agree that they are a SF playoff team at best and have no shot at a title

I appreciate and respect a team trying to get better and win basketball games, especially in this era when there's one dominant team and other squads have little chance to realistically compete with them. But I think teams have to be realistic about the players on their rosters, and if you know you have zero chance to compete to win your conference with the guys on it, maybe those guys aren't the best guys to sign.

Miami will certainly be fun to watch next year, and I look forward to seeing them in action. But I think they settled a little bit considering the franchise's recent past and their attractiveness as a destination for marquee free agents.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Looks like Stevens was holding him back. He's actually the next Dirk.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 09:51 AM

BFFs

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about the Heats contracts they've signed this summer. All of them are easily moveable if they get commitment from a major FA and he's set them up for even richer futures so there will be no ill will in trading them.

Oakmont_4
07-07-2017, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about the Heats contracts they've signed this summer. All of them are easily moveable if they get commitment from a major FA and he's set them up for even richer futures so there will be no ill will in trading them.

Danny Ainge thought the same thing...Yet he can't move Crowder/Smart/Bradley after getting a commitment from a major FA...

mightybosstone
07-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Mmm... It kind of depends. They've signed a lot of contracts that could look like steals in a year or could look really bad. Johnson and Waiters especially stand out because they both had career years in contract seasons. But if they revert back to their previous production, those are going to be two really tough contracts to move. Olynyk feels fairly safe to me, though, because he's been really consistent in his career.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Danny Ainge thought the same thing...Yet he can't move Crowder/Smart/Bradley after getting a commitment from a major FA...

You were saying lol?

tp13baby
07-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Think it's Danny Ainge being Danny Ainge. He is to stubborn to send these players off. He isn't going to get a great deal, everyone knows it's a salary dump.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Mmm... It kind of depends. They've signed a lot of contracts that could look like steals in a year or could look really bad. Johnson and Waiters especially stand out because they both had career years in contract seasons. But if they revert back to their previous production, those are going to be two really tough contracts to move. Olynyk feels fairly safe to me, though, because he's been really consistent in his career.

Good point, I feel they will keep it up though. Both seem like they have something to prove.

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Individually, I agree. All are movable. But look at their total salary for next year in the 2018-19 column...

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/miami-heat/yearly/cap/

They're at $109.9M in salary for that season already. That cap right now is about $100M so a max is about $30M. They're going to have to shed $40M of salary without taking any back. Also gotta consider cap holds for roster spots since they'll be below 13 players especially if they're dumping guys. That's tough to do. If they want to sign a max FA outright next year they'll have to dump the huge 2 years left on Tyler Johnson's deal along with the remaining 3 years on the deals for 2 of Olynyk/Waiters/Johnson. All the years totalled up, they need to move about $100M of salary commitments for none in return. Without many picks to attach to deals too since they've used so many in previous deals.

I'm not saying impossible. There's always the chance to get creative with S&Ts or just trading for stars instead of signing. But I certainly don't think it's fair to say they have any sort of "easy" path to making a major FA addition next year.

Dade County
07-07-2017, 04:02 PM

Pat & Ainge or not on the same level.

Lol

Green_Monster
07-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Pat & Ainge or not on the same level.

Lol

You're right, because Pat hasn't done anything for a while except miss out on big free agents (and the playoffs). He's successfully maxed out his cap on a middle seeded playoff team with no real upside.

How far back do we have to go to see where he's been a great GM? The Big 3 created the Big 3, not him. I wonder how long Heat fans can continue to pretend that he's a god.

GiantsSwaGG
07-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Did James Johnson really get 60 mill? Lol

hugepatsfan
07-07-2017, 04:36 PM
You're right, because Pat hasn't done anything for a while except miss out on big free agents (and the playoffs). He's successfully maxed out his cap on a middle seeded playoff team with no real upside.

How far back do we have to go to see where he's been a great GM? The Big 3 created the Big 3, not him. I wonder how long Heat fans can continue to pretend that he's a god.

Truth lies in the middle. Riley has a long track record of good moves. Built a great program there that develops young players exceptionally well for where they're drafted. Several great trades, big and small. Proven himself as a great GM.

On the other side, Heat fans do get ridiculous about the "Discounted!!!" stuff. Riley showed restraint to leave the cap open but let's not act like he had some huge role in making the Big 3. That wasn't any sort of genius GMing the way Heat fans make it out. They give him way too much credit for that.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 04:44 PM

3 rings in 11 years > 1 ring in 30 years

ewing
07-07-2017, 04:48 PM

He is one

Green_Monster
07-07-2017, 05:01 PM
3 rings in 11 years > 1 ring in 30 years

Why do you always respond to me with this? You can't count rings when you're a bandwagon fan. It's pathetic and childish. You have no right to pretend you're a true fan.

Anyone can jump from team to team and say "omg look at these rings". Bandwagon fans are the worst.

He is one

He isn't though.

Is Phil Jackson as well? Once upon a time, sure, but sports always have been and always will be "what have you done for me lately".

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Why do you always respond to me with this? You can't count rings when you're a bandwagon fan. It's pathetic and childish. You have no right to pretend you're a true fan.

Anyone can jump from team to team and say "omg look at these rings". Bandwagon fans are the worst.

He isn't though.

Is Phil Jackson as well? Once upon a time, sure, but sports always have been and always will be "what have you done for me lately".

I am a true fan though. Stuck with Wade from the beginning, will be a Miami fan when it's all said and done and will follow Miami until the end.

I respond to you with that because you feel so highly about yourself, your team, and management for no reason.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Dragic/Waiters/Winslow/Johnson/Whiteside/Johnson/Klynyk

Is nice but I'd take

IT/Hayward/Crowdah/Horford/Morris/Brown/Smart

ewing
07-07-2017, 06:32 PM

He isn't though.

Phil is a legend but he walked into tailor made spots. Riles has been end winning as a coach and GM since the early 1980s. The man is a total god.

ewing
07-07-2017, 06:34 PM

Is nice but I'd take

That's true but Pat Riley is an absolute legend of the game. I don't care who you are a fan of, to say otherwise is blasphemy

tcav701
07-07-2017, 06:37 PM
The Heat are looking like the new Atlanta Hawks.

Green_Monster
07-07-2017, 06:41 PM
I am a true fan though. Stuck with Wade from the beginning, will be a Miami fan when it's all said and done and will follow Miami until the end.

I respond to you with that because you feel so highly about yourself, your team, and management for no reason.

You're not a true fan if you switch teams lol. Sorry. Bandwagon fan will stick with you forever bud.

Phil is a legend but he walked into tailor made spots. Riles has been end winning as a coach and GM since the early 1980s. The man is a total god.

If we're willing to throw out recent years, sure. Hasn't done anything for a while. How many big free agents has he missed out on lately? It's easier to attract them to a place like Miami too. Big 3 was built by the Big 3. Riley was lucky enough to be the GM of the Heat at the time.

It's why we keep hearing "Riley will get it done" and he hasn't gotten it done.

eDush
07-07-2017, 06:42 PM

He isn't though.

I respond to you with that because you feel so highly about yourself, your team, and management for no reason.I'm a true fan too as I stuck with Steph from the very beginning even when he was constantly hurt where most Dubs fans have had enough and was willing to dump him at his lowest point and keep Monta. My support never wavered and he appreciates that kind of support which you can relate to :nod:

1seandre7
07-07-2017, 06:48 PM

So did Boston last year... they HEAT can look like Boston, Spurs, Rockets, or OKC it's going to be Cavs and GSW again. As a HEAT fan all I want is some competitive, fun winning, basketball

TylerSL
07-07-2017, 07:08 PM

Is nice but I'd take

We legit need to have a playoff series against you guys.

Dade County
07-07-2017, 07:46 PM

Like i said different levels.

Dade County
07-07-2017, 07:49 PM

Is nice but I'd take

We don't need a Boston vs HEAT fans hating each other bonanza. Boston made it to the ECF, got a good draft pick. So until Miami makes some noise lets just relax.

Dade County
07-07-2017, 07:51 PM

So disrespectful but funny.

Atl didn't have a player like Whiteside, a coach like Spo & a GM like Pat.

Pat will trade 2 to 4 of these players when the opportunity presents itself.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 07:54 PM
How good would the following be:

Dragic-Waiters-Winslow-Aldridge-Whiteside

Dragic-Waiters-JJ-Aldridge-Whiteside

Dragic-Wade-Winslow-Aldridge-Whiteside

Dragic-Wade-JJ-Aldridge-Whiteside

Scoots
07-07-2017, 07:56 PM
We don't need a Boston vs HEAT fans hating each other bonanza. Boston made it to the ECF, got a good draft pick. So until Miami makes some noise lets just relax.

This is always the time of year where people are at their most optimistic. Miami fans have the last 41 games to look at and think "We can do that again" and suddenly they are thinking 60-22 next year. Then add in that the East got weaker overall and the playoffs are no kind of reach at all ... and once a team is in the playoffs anything can happen.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 07:56 PM
This is always the time of year where people are at their most optimistic. Miami fans have the last 41 games to look at and think "We can do that again" and suddenly they are thinking 60-22 next year. Then add in that the East got weaker overall and the playoffs are no kind of reach at all ... and once a team is in the playoffs anything can happen.

This is true. Do I think the Heat win 60? Not a chance imo but I think the floor is 50 if they continue to build on to what they did the second half. They have waiters back who was injured like the last 2 months or so, Winslow back (elite defender), added Bam who looks NBA ready, and Kelly is a solid addition. Homecourt as the 4th seed at the least is what I'm seeing.

Dade County
07-07-2017, 07:59 PM

I understand...

But I don't know why a Boston fan would want to battle a Miami fan...

They finished first record wise last season (doesn't mean a whole lot since the Cavs were coasting), but thats not Boston problem.

They have a ton of draft picks coming up. Two young promising players. A key free agent they just signed...etc

If a Boston fan sees a Miami fan happy, they shouldn't try to bring us down or even care.

But of course when the season starts and we actually play games against each other, well then let the ******* talking begin!!!

ewing
07-07-2017, 08:09 PM
You're not a true fan if you switch teams lol. Sorry. Bandwagon fan will stick with you forever bud.

If we're willing to throw out recent years, sure. Hasn't done anything for a while. How many big free agents has he missed out on lately? It's easier to attract them to a place like Miami too. Big 3 was built by the Big 3. Riley was lucky enough to be the GM of the Heat at the time.

It's why we keep hearing "Riley will get it done" and he hasn't gotten it done.

He had a franchise player walk out on him and lost a star player to illness. I'd say they have rebounded pretty well. Bosh isn't even the first or best guy he has lost in his prime to illness. The level of success Riley has had over his career is nothing short of legendary

ewing
07-07-2017, 08:10 PM
I understand...

They finished first record wise last season (doesn't mean a whole lot since the Cavs were coasting), but thats not Boston problem.

They have a ton of draft picks coming up. Two young promising players. A key free agent they just signed...etc

If a Boston fan sees a Miami fan happy, they shouldn't try to bring us down or even care.

But of course when the season starts and we actually play games against each other, well then let the ******* talking begin!!!

Solid post

Scoots
07-07-2017, 09:40 PM
I understand...

I don't really understand the salt all over the place. I'm an NBA fan first and a Warriors fan second. I try not to talk pointless stuff about any player or any team because it does nothing for me, and I don't understand people who do get something from it. And even more than that, why keep making the same dumb point over and over?

Cal827
07-07-2017, 10:13 PM
I see that this signing has triggered some Celtics fans into beating their chests, and ripping the Heat fanbase for some apparent reason :laugh2:.... Just let it go, I don't think it's gonna matter who you root for come playoff time. Heat, Celtics, Raptors (since someone might try to bring them up since I'm posting :laugh:), Hawks, Wizards, etc... I think the best result for each of our season will be the same: Getting ***-blasted by the Cavs in the ECF :D

Anyways, I think this is a good signing by Miami; With Whiteside at C, another big man that can stretch the floor compliments his game well. I'm really happy for James Johnson too; I always felt that he wasn't getting enough time when he was here in Toronto... I wish we stuck with him over the broken down Carroll who we are stuck with now. He's a good defender, and can do a little of everything at the 3 position (occasionally the 4).

As mentioned previously, all of their signings are on fairly sensible contracts; To acquire a Max guy, they could deal out one or two of them, and prospects/picks without much of an issue. Even if they don't, Miami should be a very competitive team this year. They ended last season hot, and if there was another game in the season, they probably would've made the playoffs. Where they are now, I would expect a mid-tier playoff spot next season (between 4th and 6th), and a possible playoff ****-disturber come playoff time.

Question for Heat fans: Who do you think Miami will target if they decide to go after a star? I mean, Cousins is one of the bigger pieces potentially out there, but you guys already have Whiteside and I'm not sure if that's a deal you'd make. George is probably either staying in OKC or going to LA.

Dade County
07-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Question for Heat fans: Who do you think Miami will target if they decide to go after a star? I mean, Cousins is one of the bigger pieces potentially out there, but you guys already have Whiteside and I'm not sure if that's a deal you'd make. George is probably either staying in OKC or going to LA.

Well the thing is Miami needs a star player to be interested in coming here.

So in return that player can tell his team, I want to go to Miami (just like PG situation with the Lakers). So then Miami can make a trade or unload easy movable contracts.

Other than that Miami would have to know beforehand in free agency, if player would want to come here; then they would trade away pieces to create cap room.

Wishful thinking right now though.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-07-2017, 11:17 PM
We legit need to have a playoff series against you guys.

Yessssss especially cuz my wife is a Miami native! Lol

I only said something because of another poster saying Celtics fans feel highly about our team for no reason.

tcav701
07-08-2017, 05:09 AM

Pat will trade 2 to 4 of these players when the opportunity presents itself.

Well Milsap was pretty damn good for Atlanta if i recall. Al, Teague and JJ were no scrubs either.

Its not that James Johnson and Oly are bad players, but giving them 4 years at top of their market money is certianly quesrionable.

They dont have any real trade value until the have 2 years or less left on their deals.

Oakmont_4
07-08-2017, 08:29 AM
How good would the following be:

Dragic-Waiters-Winslow-Aldridge-Whiteside

Dragic-Waiters-JJ-Aldridge-Whiteside

Dragic-Wade-Winslow-Aldridge-Whiteside

Dragic-Wade-JJ-Aldridge-Whiteside

Good but not great. Aldridge and Wade aren't the players they once were. Still good, but only just above average at this point in their careers. Still probably only good enough for 3rd-4th in the East...Which isn't saying much. In the West, that team probably doesn't make the playoffs or clings to an 8 seed.

Jamiecballer
07-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Pat will trade 2 to 4 of these players when the opportunity presents itself.I think he just meant 5 good but not excellent players. I could be wrong.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

tcav701
07-08-2017, 10:07 AM
I think he just meant 5 good but not excellent players. I could be wrong.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Correct. I meant a very good regular season team who will be above average for 5 years.

Scoots
07-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Good but not great. Aldridge and Wade aren't the players they once were. Still good, but only just above average at this point in their careers. Still probably only good enough for 3rd-4th in the East...Which isn't saying much. In the West, that team probably doesn't make the playoffs or clings to an 8 seed.

I have always thought Aldridge was one of those players who, regardless of his numbers, didn't do much to help his team win. Now as he slows down it's ever more evident.

What I want to see with the Heat is how Winslow is going to fit back in since the season turned on his injury and Dragic/Waiters going off.

WaDe03
07-08-2017, 11:13 AM

You could be right. I think that's a team that's give you all fits in a playoff series.

daleja424
07-08-2017, 11:32 AM
The thing is... this deal is right in line with what solid big men make in the league. I heard an interesting point made the other day about the salary cap jump.

If you go back two years ago with the cap set at 70 million... you would probably have been perfectly okay giving KO a deal in the range of 4years/32 mil (8 million per year). At that time 11.4% of the cap per year for KO. Well now the cap is 100 million and KO got 12 a year... 12% of the cap. It is really right in line with what we would have all considered reasonable a couple of years ago. The problem is that our brains have not adjusted to a cap that is almost 50% larger (meaning the deals will be too!).

Here are some deals from 2015 that compare:
Robin Lopez (4/54)...19% of cap
Greg Monroe (3/51)...24% of cap
Thad Young (4/50)...18% of cap
Damarre Carrol (4/60)... 22% of cap
Tyson Chandler (4/52)... 19% of cap
Kosta Koufos (4/33)... 12% of cap
Omer Asik (5/60)... 17 % of cap
Amir Johnson (2/24)... 17% of cap
Enes Kanter (4/70)... 25% of cap

Given those numbers for players that are solid AT BEST.... the numbers for KO really are very very reasonable.

Federal Reserve
07-08-2017, 06:37 PM
The Heat are giving the Knicks a run for their money (no pun intended) in who can give out the worst contract this summer.

daleja424
07-08-2017, 08:58 PM
The Heat are giving the Knicks a run for their money (no pun intended) in who can give out the worst contract this summer.

Literally clueless.

WaDe03
07-08-2017, 09:02 PM

I'm trying to find those bad Heat contracts but can't seem to find them, can you help?