PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter to the Kings for 8 million dollars.

LOb0
07-06-2017, 08:55 PM
8 Million dollars?? What the hell Kings?

R. Johnson#3
07-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Was really hoping to see the Raps bring him back not for that price though.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Was hoping to see him go to GS and win a ring. Good for him tho for getting that extra 7 million than he would have had otherwise, smart man.

bleedprple&gold
07-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Why are all these vets signing with ******** Sacramento?

LOb0
07-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Why are all these vets signing with ******** Sacramento?

It's like an ATM for washed up vets.

Ariza's Better
07-06-2017, 09:46 PM
The Kings are having a good offseason, when was the last time you could say that?

LOb0
07-06-2017, 09:49 PM
The Kings are having a good offseason, when was the last time you could say that?

I don't think they are lol. Wow they'll crack 30 wins after overpaying a bunch of old guys.

JLynn943
07-06-2017, 09:58 PM
I think Carter played for Joerger before, right? Z-Bo did. Just getting some of his guys I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

likemystylez
07-06-2017, 10:03 PM
I was worried the warriors overpaid nick young, but if i knew carter would cost 8 million a year- i guess nick young at 5 million feels a little bit better

Ariza's Better
07-06-2017, 10:08 PM
I don't think they are lol. Wow they'll crack 30 wins after overpaying a bunch of old guys.
Who are they going to use that money on? They have a bunch of young players and needed vets to shape the culture of that team. Besides vince is for 1 season, Randolph is for 2 and Hill for 3. Their not on the books for long and doesn't hurt their flexibility at all.

LOb0
07-06-2017, 10:11 PM
Who are they going to use that money on? They have a bunch of young players and needed vets to shape the culture of that team. Besides vince is for 1 season, Randolph is for 2 and Hill for 3. Their not on the books for long and doesn't hurt their flexibility at all.

I just prefer the tanking strategy. I haven't looked at their pick situation. I know Boston has their 2019. 8 Million to 40 year old VC is completely ridiculous.

valade16
07-06-2017, 10:26 PM
Could this be a sign (along with zbo) that the Gruz are about to blow it up? Conley or (more likely) Gasol may be on the move.

LOb0
07-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Could this be a sign (along with zbo) that the Gruz are about to blow it up? Conley or (more likely) Gasol may be on the move.

Celtics are trying to get Gasol for some reason. Despite having Horford.

Ariza's Better
07-06-2017, 10:36 PM
I just prefer the tanking strategy. I haven't looked at their pick situation. I know Boston has their 2019. 8 Million to 40 year old VC is completely ridiculous.
It isn't though, it's for 1 season. And again, who are they going to use that money on? And they have been tanking. They added 3 top 20 picks and still have Cauley-stein, Hield, Labissière and Papagiannis. That's plenty of young players to build while more than likely adding another top 10 pick next season.

TRIUMPHATOR
07-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Was really hoping to see the Raps bring him back not for that price though.

I respect you as you know, but that's just crazy. For all he did for basketball in this city, he blew it by the way he acted with the way he left.

I'll never forget the "I don't feel like dunking anymore" comment. The city loved and embraced him, and he spat in the fans collective faces.

Good luck to him....elsewhere

mightybosstone
07-06-2017, 11:09 PM
Like with ZBo, I don't get this move for Carter or the Kings. Why waste possibly your last contract on a bad basketball team that has no chance of making the playoffs? In Carter's case, it makes even less sense because the dude is 40+ and has already made an insane amount of money. A title as a role player could really be a nice feather in the cap of his legacy. Going to Sacramento on a 1-year, $8 million deal does literally nothing except throwing some more coins on top of his Scrooge McDuck-like swimming pool of money.

AntiG
07-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Celtics are trying to get Gasol for some reason. Despite having Horford.

Horford is the only experienced big man on the roster.

LOb0
07-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Horford is the only experienced big man on the roster.

Yeah I get it, but you can't play them both at the same time. And they're both max guys. What a waste if Horford came of the bench.

likemystylez
07-06-2017, 11:34 PM
Yeah I get it, but you can't play them both at the same time. And they're both max guys. What a waste if Horford came of the bench.

so horford plays the 4, and gasol plays the 5. Seems like a manageable thing

LOb0
07-06-2017, 11:38 PM
so horford plays the 4, and gasol plays the 5. Seems like a manageable thing

The slowest front court in the league. We'd get killed.

likemystylez
07-06-2017, 11:45 PM
The slowest front court in the league. We'd get killed.

maybe but both very skilled bigs, and bigs who could really pass the ball

eDush
07-06-2017, 11:46 PM
8 Million dollars?? What the hell Kings?So Zbo for 24 mil is great value but Air Canada for 8 mil is not?!?

Seems like the main forum is where idiots resides :facepalm:

hugepatsfan
07-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Like with ZBo, I don't get this move for Carter or the Kings. Why waste possibly your last contract on a bad basketball team that has no chance of making the playoffs? In Carter's case, it makes even less sense because the dude is 40+ and has already made an insane amount of money. A title as a role player could really be a nice feather in the cap of his legacy. Going to Sacramento on a 1-year, $8 million deal does literally nothing except throwing some more coins on top of his Scrooge McDuck-like swimming pool of money.

You gotta be kind of crazy to turn down like $7M because you want to play on a better basketball team. When you step away from the game of basketball and consider that they're people with lives off the court how can anyone ever be surprised at a guy taking an extra $7M?

eDush
07-06-2017, 11:50 PM
Like with ZBo, I don't get this move for Carter or the Kings. Why waste possibly your last contract on a bad basketball team that has no chance of making the playoffs? In Carter's case, it makes even less sense because the dude is 40+ and has already made an insane amount of money. A title as a role player could really be a nice feather in the cap of his legacy. Going to Sacramento on a 1-year, $8 million deal does literally nothing except throwing some more coins on top of his Scrooge McDuck-like swimming pool of money.Zbo is fat and a bad influence while Carter is a class act. Good signing for leadership and spark off the bench...something you don't seem to understand but I do :nod:

chitownredbulls
07-06-2017, 11:55 PM
It isn't though, it's for 1 season. And again, who are they going to use that money on? And they have been tanking. They added 3 top 20 picks and still have Cauley-stein, Hield, Labissière and Papagiannis. That's plenty of young players to build while more than likely adding another top 10 pick next season.

I agree 100% with everything you have said about the kings.... good ****.

aman_13
07-07-2017, 01:05 AM
Good for VC.

Scoots
07-07-2017, 01:26 AM
The Kings are in the West which is STACKED this year. The Kings will play the right way more than any time recently and still lose a lot of games while getting better for the future. I like it.

All these vets are going to be on minute limitations and probably none will start.

JWorthy42
07-07-2017, 01:29 AM
This is literally one of those moves that has 0 net value.

FOXHOUND
07-07-2017, 03:02 AM

While doing commentary for a Knicks summer league game Carter was asked what he was looking for in free agency. His main thing was that he still wanted to play. He didn't want to be an end of the bench player who didn't get burn even if on a championship team. He said he wasn't at that stage of his career yet, maybe after another year or two.

Also, a championship probably doesn't feel as great if you don't feel like you earned it by being a DNP - coaches decision.

FOXHOUND
07-07-2017, 03:08 AM

Absolutely. The analytic era is making people forget you actually need to compete in practice and learn from good vets every day to get better at basketball at the NBA level.

GoferKing_
07-07-2017, 03:21 AM
Great move. I like Zbo and Carter, but am not happy about Hill's contract.

Vinylman
07-07-2017, 07:35 AM

Horford would have to be in the deal... you don't have the assets to match salaries once Hayward is signed and you don't have the time to get it done before Hayward is signed...

the guy speculating on this in the media has been torn to shreds because he has ZERO understanding of the CBA

mightybosstone
07-07-2017, 07:51 AM
While doing commentary for a Knicks summer league game Carter was asked what he was looking for in free agency. His main thing was that he still wanted to play. He didn't want to be an end of the bench player who didn't get burn even if on a championship team. He said he wasn't at that stage of his career yet, maybe after another year or two.

Also, a championship probably doesn't feel as great if you don't feel like you earned it by being a DNP - coaches decision.
That's the thing though; the dude can still play and get minutes for a contender. If he had signed a veteran minimum deal with the Rockets, they absolutely could have used his skill set, and he immediately would have taken over Lou Will's role as the 4th guard. Look at San Antonio and Cleveland. He easily would have gotten playing time for either of them, especially if Simmons and/or Shumpert leave.

I just find it extremely unlikely that there wasn't a single quality playoff team out there that had reached out to him and couldn't offer him at least 12-15 minutes a night.

Vinylman
07-07-2017, 08:03 AM
That's the thing though; the dude can still play and get minutes for a contender. If he had signed a veteran minimum deal with the Rockets, they absolutely could have used his skill set, and he immediately would have taken over Lou Will's role as the 4th guard. Look at San Antonio and Cleveland. He easily would have gotten playing time for either of them, especially if Simmons and/or Shumpert leave.

I just find it extremely unlikely that there wasn't a single quality playoff team out there that had reached out to him and couldn't offer him at least 12-15 minutes a night.

people really don't see what is happening in the nba ... he is easily moveable at the deadline and if there are no takers he will just get bought out ...

these bottom dwelling teams need to sign deadline moveable FA's

It appears Vlade is starting to get it...

R. Johnson#3
07-07-2017, 08:07 AM
I respect you as you know, but that's just crazy. For all he did for basketball in this city, he blew it by the way he acted with the way he left.

I'll never forget the "I don't feel like dunking anymore" comment. The city loved and embraced him, and he spat in the fans collective faces.

Good luck to him....elsewhere

I hear ya T and I was salty about his departure for years. The I don't wanna dunk anymore was b/s too. But when you look at the big picture if the Raps never got Vince then there may not be a Raptor franchise. I was a kid when Vince was here and even though I was already into basketball he made me obsessed with it. I say this with confidence, he's the reason basketball blew up all over Canada. It's no coincidence most of the Canadian players in the NBA are from the GTA either. It's all because of Vince.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Curious if the Grizzlies blow it up now? Bucks were close to trading for Conley many moons ago. But we don't have the same regime now. Also at age 29 and had a few injuries and darn near $30M per with 4 years yet. I'd only offer up a 2018 first from my Bucks and crap heap of Delly,Telly,Henson for Conley. Maybe 2018 first and Moose and Delly. But that's pushing it.

Jamiecballer
07-07-2017, 09:14 AM
good for vince, bad for raps. would have loved to have him back. good unselfish passer might have done wonders for this club.

mightybosstone
07-07-2017, 09:33 AM
people really don't see what is happening in the nba ... he is easily moveable at the deadline and if there are no takers he will just get bought out ...

What contender is going to have $8 million in cap space or in moveable as at the trade deadline to acquire Vince Carter? And even if they do have that much cap room or assets, most contenders aren't going to have a lot of quality draft picks or young prospects that a young, rebuilding team like Sacramento would covet. I just don't understand your logic here, chief.

Also, how are Hill and Randolph's contracts considered "moveable" at the deadline? Those are not remotely easy contracts for a contender to match.

mightybosstone
07-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Curious if the Grizzlies blow it up now? Bucks were close to trading for Conley many moons ago. But we don't have the same regime now. Also at age 29 and had a few injuries and darn near $30M per with 4 years yet. I'd only offer up a 2018 first from my Bucks and crap heap of Delly,Telly,Henson for Conley. Maybe 2018 first and Moose and Delly. But that's pushing it.

Again, I know I've said it a million times, but that Parsons contract was just an absolute killer. If he doesn't get signed, then this team would have had his $23 million to work with this offseason, and there were a lot of quality players they could have made a run at this summer. Replace Parsons with Millsap, Gallo or Ibaka and imagine how much better this team would be today. Instead, that contract kills any flexibility they have moving forward the next few years, and rebuilding might be their only option.

kingsdelez24
07-07-2017, 09:40 AM
The kings have spent years underplaying for *** washed up vets (Salmons, Landry, Jason Thompson, chuck hayes), at least they're getting some quality high IQ players that can actually impact a game

Vinylman
07-07-2017, 10:07 AM
What contender is going to have $8 million in cap space or in moveable as at the trade deadline to acquire Vince Carter? And even if they do have that much cap room or assets, most contenders aren't going to have a lot of quality draft picks or young prospects that a young, rebuilding team like Sacramento would covet. I just don't understand your logic here, chief.

Also, how are Hill and Randolph's contracts considered "moveable" at the deadline? Those are not remotely easy contracts for a contender to match.

Guys only get moved to contenders? Is that what I posted?

Was I talking about ZBO and Hill?

Try and stay focused... I was talking about VC

An $8 million guy on a 1 year deal never could get moved... right?

There's a team last year that I wouldn't call a contender in the shithole known as Houston Texas ... didn't they take on a guy like lou Williams last year at the deadline and give up a first even though he was under contract for another year at roughly the same price as Carter? Wait... that didn't happen ... did it?

something like that would never happen at the next deadline... no chance

eDush
07-07-2017, 11:40 AM
The kings have spent years underplaying for *** washed up vets (Salmons, Landry, Jason Thompson, chuck hayes), at least they're getting some quality high IQ players that can actually impact a game:nod: on their last pick up!

mightybosstone
07-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Guys only get moved to contenders? Is that what I posted?

Was I talking about ZBO and Hill?

Try and stay focused... I was talking about VC
You said "Vlade is starting to get it..." which is a pretty general statement that could easily refer to his overall offseason and the other acquisitions he made.

An $8 million guy on a 1 year deal never could get moved... right?

There's a team last year that I wouldn't call a contender in the shithole known as Houston Texas ... didn't they take on a guy like lou Williams last year at the deadline and give up a first even though he was under contract for another year at roughly the same price as Carter? Wait... that didn't happen ... did it?

something like that would never happen at the next deadline... no chance
I'm not going to address your pathetic attempts to troll me like a petulant child, and I'll simply address the talking points.

Regarding the Rockets trade, Lou Williams was a much, much more valuable asset that VC is at this point in his career. You're talking about an elite 6th man who was putting up ridiculously efficient scoring numbers on a very cap-friendly deal. And you forget that the Rockets happened to have the perfect contract to swap for Lou Will in Corey Brewer. Plus, Lou Will had another year left, while Carter's deal is done after this season.

What legitimate assets can Sacramento get out of less than a half-season of Carter at the trade deadline? Maybe a 2nd rounder? And if that's the case, there are way, way easier ways to get a 2nd rounder than to give Vince Carter $8 million and then hope a contender wants him at the trade deadline. Teams simply trade cash for 2nd round picks every year. They're pretty damn easy to get. And nobody is giving up a young, quality player for half a season of VC either.

That's the point that I was making--that teams don't simply acquire veterans like Vince Carter simply to trade them at the deadline a few months later seeking assets. It doesn't make any sense. Could it happen? Of course. It happens every year. But thinking that Vlade Divac is sitting there going, "I'll sign Vince Carter and turn around and get a 1st round pick for him in a few months!" is totally asinine.

FOXHOUND
07-07-2017, 01:30 PM

He must have not gotten the offers. It's tough to rely on a 40-year old to play a rotation role on a contender when you don't know if they're going to fall off a cliff or be really banged up. He keeps saying he's going to play two more years and at least one more to get to 21 seasons, so he may also just be thinking that he can go for that next year again.

FOXHOUND
07-07-2017, 01:33 PM

I don't think they signed Carter with the intention of moving him at all. Maybe if he performs even better than last year at his age and they could actually get something of value, but that's very doubtful all around.

This signing, along with Hill and ZBo, is all about bringing in good vets who have experienced success and know what it takes to play at a high level in the league. Great vets who will put in the foundation for a winning culture in that locker room and help all of their young talent understand what it takes to be your best in the NBA.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Good signing.

He can be a great vet leader on the team and won't eat up minutes of young players.

LOb0
07-07-2017, 10:47 PM

Exactly. I keep hearing this. What assets can you possibly get for 40 year old Vince Carter or 35 year old Zbo?

I don't like these moves, nor do I understand them. I don't get why people think these were good.

kobe4thewinbang
07-07-2017, 11:27 PM
Like with ZBo, I don't get this move for Carter or the Kings. Why waste possibly your last contract on a bad basketball team that has no chance of making the playoffs? In Carter's case, it makes even less sense because the dude is 40+ and has already made an insane amount of money. A title as a role player could really be a nice feather in the cap of his legacy. Going to Sacramento on a 1-year, $8 million deal does literally nothing except throwing some more coins on top of his Scrooge McDuck-like swimming pool of money.Have the Kings made one sensible signing yet?

tp13baby
07-08-2017, 12:06 AM
Have the Kings made one sensible signing yet?

I will give them Hill because he can play the 2 but Carter and Zbo are absolutely ridiculous.

Bostonjorge
07-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Wrong thread

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-10-2017, 09:47 AM
I'm ok with this move

jaydubb
07-10-2017, 09:54 AM
I expect Vince Carter to play till he's 50

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JLynn943
07-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Watching and listening to Vince Carter during the Kings summer league game last night, I already love this move. He's already taking a leadership role (talking with players on the bench, leading a huddle before they went back on court) and, from his comments, is very clearly aware that this year is about building a culture. If he was signed with that being pitched to him, I imagine that Hill and Z-Bo are aware of that, too. Great move.