PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay to the Spurs

minato_17
07-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Sources: Rudy Gay's deal with the Spurs: two-years, $17M-plus with a player option.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

goingfor28
07-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski*@wojespn

Free agent forward Rudy Gay has agreed to a two year deal with the Spurs, league sourcs tell ESPN.

8:13 PM Jul 6, 2017

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
07-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Wow, injuries cost Rudy Gay about $12 million extra a year.. With what others are getting paid, if Gay was healthy, he could easily get $20 million. Sucks.

kdspurman
07-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Wow, injuries cost Rudy Gay about $12 million extra a year.. With what others are getting paid, if Gay was healthy, he could easily get $20 million. Sucks.

Works out for us tho, if he's healthy. Wish it was a team option vs player option but is what it is.

Team desperately needed another wing guy who could score to help Kawhi out. I like the signing, hopefully he works out

WaDe03
07-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Really good signing for them.

KnicksorBust
07-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Nick Young to the Warriors
Rudy Gay to the Spurs

It is amazing how when a well run franchise signs a player how much better it looks.

Nikeman
07-06-2017, 08:44 PM
It's Pop. I trust that he will utilize Rudy in new ways and make him extremely effective. Good to see Kawhi get another player who can create for himself.

Simmons, Kawhi and Gay are 3 pretty solid wings.

kdspurman
07-06-2017, 08:45 PM
It's Pop. I trust that he will utilize Rudy in new ways and make him extremely effective. Good to see Kawhi get another player who can create for himself.

Getting Simmons back will be the next order of business I assume.

Nikeman
07-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Getting Simmons back will be the next order of business I assume.

Agreed. And Rudy should definitely help get pressure off Aldridge.

Hope the Spurs keep Simmons and get one Loren extremely solid piece. Damn. If CP3 went to SA, along with Rudy Gay, that team could have been something.

LOb0
07-06-2017, 08:48 PM

Well said. Love this move.

kdspurman
07-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Agreed. And Rudy should definitely help get pressure off Aldridge.

Hope the Spurs keep Simmons and get one Loren extremely solid piece. Damn. If CP3 went to SA, along with Rudy Gay, that team could have been something.

Yea.. it is what it is re: Paul. It'll expedite Murray's development. It'll def help get the pressure off LMA and Kawhi hopefully at times. He usually has to do so much

We'll see what they do next. So glad Pau opted out to allow some flexibility, I don't think they're done

flea
07-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Good scorer and not a lot else. Have my doubts about this move but he can potentially be an athletic bench forward that can fit in with the starters next to Leonard and Aldridge for good minutes if it works. Feels a lot like a move with the Warriors in mind, rather than a "good fit" move but he's an upgrade over Anderson against faster lineups.

Lloyd Christmas
07-06-2017, 08:55 PM
He's going to fit in well. Nice signing.

daleja424
07-06-2017, 08:56 PM
Like the move. Hope he can stay healthy but its pretty low risk at two years.

R. Johnson#3
07-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Pop is one of the only coaches who can get through to the black hole that is Rudy Gay. If he commits to playing Spurs basketball then he could really be a great player.

COOLbeans
07-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Spurs couldve used him in the playoffs. their offense shut down whenever Leonard went out. This makes them a better team and offense

TrueFan420
07-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Love this signing for the Spurs. If Pop gets him to buy in defensively he's gonna be extremely useful piece.

eDush
07-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Wow, injuries cost Rudy Gay about $12 million extra a year.. With what others are getting paid, if Gay was healthy, he could easily get $20 million. Sucks.He opt out of 14.5 mil next season cause he wants to chase rings. It always works out that way like David West leaving Indy to play for Pop for the minimum:nod:

THE MTL
07-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Knicks sign Rudy Gay. Omg what are they thinking. Stupid Knicks.

Spurs sign Rudy Gay. Omg what a great move lol.

hugepatsfan
07-06-2017, 10:14 PM

So true lol

TrueFan420
07-06-2017, 10:17 PM

Difference is the Knicks are a mess of an organization. The Spurs are not. Pop can get the best out of his players so when he gambles on talent with flaws it's less of a concern than a team like the Knicks.

valade16
07-06-2017, 10:24 PM
Nick Young to the Warriors
Rudy Gay to the Spurs

It is amazing how when a well run franchise signs a player how much better it looks.

Exactly if other teams did this people would be crapping on the move. Really puts in perspective how the NBA views certain players as opposed to PSD.

mightybosstone
07-06-2017, 11:00 PM
Only time will tell on this signing. He could have gotten more on the open market, so this was certainly a solid value deal for the Spurs. But I'm not losing any sleep because Rudy Gay signed with San Antonio. I still think the Spurs have a long way to go to seriously competing against the Warriors next season.

kdspurman
07-06-2017, 11:13 PM
Only time will tell on this signing. He could have gotten more on the open market, so this was certainly a solid value deal for the Spurs. But I'm not losing any sleep because Rudy Gay signed with San Antonio. I still think the Spurs have a long way to go to seriously competing against the Warriors next season.

Still probably the closest/best comp for GS, this move only makes them better. They needed another scorer on the wing big time.

If he's healthy obviously, looks like he's working hard rehabbing.

mightybosstone
07-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Still probably the closest/best comp for GS, this move only makes them better. They needed another scorer on the wing big time.

It also depends a lot on if they can bring back some of their vets, though. Mills is staying, but not for cheap. Parker will be back, but not to start the season. Gasol claims he's coming back, but it remains to be seen, and Ginobili is still a pretty big question mark. Throw in a possibly disgruntled LMA, and the Spurs are hardly a model of stability right now. I can't comfortably say they're a better basketball team than when the season ended.

All that being said, it's the ****ing Spurs. Pop will find a way to make it work, they'll still flirt with 60 games and inevitably end up with a top 3 seed. But will this offseason ultimately make a difference if they get into a series with the Warriors? Right now, I wouldn't bet on it.

WaDe03
07-06-2017, 11:20 PM
So is Aldridge still on the trade block?

JasonJohnHorn
07-06-2017, 11:26 PM
I was going to say this was a bad signing because I don't think he fits in with their system, but at that price... well.. he'll be easy trade bait if things don't work out and they could get a first for him.

I don't expect this will be much better than when Richard Jefferson was on the team, but we'll see. Fingers crossed.

kdspurman
07-06-2017, 11:37 PM
It also depends a lot on if they can bring back some of their vets, though. Mills is staying, but not for cheap. Parker will be back, but not to start the season. Gasol claims he's coming back, but it remains to be seen, and Ginobili is still a pretty big question mark. Throw in a possibly disgruntled LMA, and the Spurs are hardly a model of stability right now. I can't comfortably say they're a better basketball team than when the season ended.

All that being said, it's the ****ing Spurs. Pop will find a way to make it work, they'll still flirt with 60 games and inevitably end up with a top 3 seed. But will this offseason ultimately make a difference if they get into a series with the Warriors? Right now, I wouldn't bet on it.

Mills would've seen more I bet on the open market, so it was probably a bit of a bargain. Without TP, they'll definitely rely on Patty and young blood Dejounte Murray. PG spot is def a question mark, but Kawhi will likely take on more "PG" duties.

Agreed on LMA, but it's also a contract year. IF he wants to be moved before the next off-season, he'll have to play like it. That means playing inspired ball.

Re: the warriors, I understand their greatness. I also know Pop was planning for them from game 1 of the regular season with the style he played against them, using Simmons, etc... I don't think they're as far away as people think , mainly due to Pop's ability to game plan for a team, and Kawhi's abilities.

Everyone is chasing them now, it should be fun to see how teams stack up throughout the season

Cracka2HI!
07-06-2017, 11:38 PM
The money's all wrong. Porter gets $120 mil plus, Hardaway Jr. gets $71 mil and Gay gets $17? I know Gay is a very flawed player but he's better than those 2 imo.

kdspurman
07-06-2017, 11:39 PM
I was going to say this was a bad signing because I don't think he fits in with their system, but at that price... well.. he'll be easy trade bait if things don't work out and they could get a first for him.

I don't expect this will be much better than when Richard Jefferson was on the team, but we'll see. Fingers crossed.

RJ was brought in and was supposed to have a bigger impact (starting) than he did. Gay is coming in as likely a bench player, to provide 6th man scoring, and be another scorer on the wing w/Kawhi. Different roles , I don't see how this could end up like that honestly, simply due to roles.

TrueFan420
07-06-2017, 11:48 PM

His 6'9 height is also an important part

kdspurman
07-06-2017, 11:52 PM
His 6'9 height is also an important part

Most definitely.. Him/Kawhi at the 3/4 I could see happening. You need guys with length and scoring ability to play against your guys. They still have some stuff to work out, but I don't see how this move does anything but improve them a bit.

eDush
07-06-2017, 11:53 PM

His 6'9 height is also an important partI think this is a good signing for the Spurs. They always seem to get the right players to fill weaknesses. Pop does it again but wish he took Swaggy P off our hands :(

chitownredbulls
07-06-2017, 11:58 PM
He's trash.....

eDush
07-07-2017, 12:07 AM
He's trash.....MCW is still on the Bulls but thanks for acknowledging it.
:shrug:

TrueFan420
07-07-2017, 12:11 AM
Most definitely.. Him/Kawhi at the 3/4 I could see happening. You need guys with length and scoring ability to play against your guys. They still have some stuff to work out, but I don't see how this move does anything but improve them a bit.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If Pop can get him to play within the offense and work hard defensively it's a great deal. Rudy Gay had all the tools needed to have been a top player just not the right mindset. He's not young but if anyone can get the best out him Pop can. I still think you guys should move Aldridge just not sure what you can get for him.

JWorthy42
07-07-2017, 01:32 AM
If there is a coach out there who can turn Rudy Gay into a solid weapon - its Gregg Popovich. Great signing.

Scoots
07-07-2017, 01:36 AM
Good signing ... probably.

TylerSL
07-07-2017, 01:47 AM
Really good signing by San Antonio. They basically got an 18-20 point/game scorer for cheap. That kind of a scorer next to Kawhi is really what they need.

Parker/Mills/Murray
Green/Manu
Gay/Anderson
Kawhi/Simmons
LA/Gasol/Dedmon

Gonna win a lot of games again.

Redrum187
07-07-2017, 02:01 AM
I like it for the Spurs too. Small ball with Gay at the 4 will be pretty fun.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-07-2017, 02:33 AM
The role he would need to play on the Spurs in order to be effective in their system would probably result in stats that would get you like $10 million on the market. So that's a very okay signing.

FlashBolt
07-07-2017, 02:40 AM
He opt out of 14.5 mil next season cause he wants to chase rings. It always works out that way like David West leaving Indy to play for Pop for the minimum:nod:

Could work both ways. Maybe he opted out thinking he could get a better contract but when offers fell, he took what he could before cap space prevented him from getting even more than what he got from the Spurs.

FOXHOUND
07-07-2017, 03:11 AM
As long as he recovers well enough from that ruptured achilles at his age - tough to do - this will be a very good signing. Rudy Gay is a really solid all-around player and became underrated for failing as a franchise player.

GoferKing_
07-07-2017, 03:31 AM

Well, if you do not see the difference...

eDush
07-07-2017, 11:42 AM

Well, if you do not see the difference...This is quite obvious and not generalizing :nod:

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 11:47 AM
MCW is still on the Bulls but thanks for acknowledging it.
:shrug:

No he isn't.

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 11:50 AM
I actually bet the Heat make a run at Aldridge at the trade deadline. They've signed these new contracts and will easily have the money for it. Lack of picks so may have to part with one of the young guys (JRich or Winslow).

I remember Riley getting that meeting with him a couple years ago so he's probably still interested.

Maybe TJ Olynyk and Winslow? Pop would turn Winslow into a perennial all star.

Maybe TJ and JJ? Who knows?

Ahriman
07-07-2017, 11:57 AM
That could actually happen, Riley loves to acquire disgruntled stars

WaDe03
07-07-2017, 11:59 AM
That could actually happen, Riley loves to acquire disgruntled stars

Yep, exactly what he did with Dragic.

kdspurman
07-07-2017, 12:00 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. If Pop can get him to play within the offense and work hard defensively it's a great deal. Rudy Gay had all the tools needed to have been a top player just not the right mindset. He's not young but if anyone can get the best out him Pop can. I still think you guys should move Aldridge just not sure what you can get for him.

I'm curious to see what happens with LMA. I know they were shopping him for a higher draft pick, but idk what plan B was. Guess we'll see. It'd surprise me if they move him mid season but it might be best if his value is high enough. Which is really on him

Jamiecballer
07-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Isn't Aldridge still on the team? This has disaster all over it imo

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

kdspurman
07-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Isn't Aldridge still on the team? This has disaster all over it imo

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

If by disaster you mean winning 55-60 games, then ya, probably.

I haven't seen a "disastrous" season since forever. Worst reg season at least was getting the 7th seed 7 or so years ago at 50-32.

TrueFan420
07-07-2017, 06:03 PM
I'm curious to see what happens with LMA. I know they were shopping him for a higher draft pick, but idk what plan B was. Guess we'll see. It'd surprise me if they move him mid season but it might be best if his value is high enough. Which is really on him

Yea I guess. Who knows what his market is... but I don't think he's a good fit.

Scoots
07-07-2017, 06:14 PM

I wonder if Pop can scheme to max out LMAs value early in the year?

Jamiecballer
07-08-2017, 06:43 PM
If by disaster you mean winning 55-60 games, then ya, probably.

I haven't seen a "disastrous" season since forever. Worst reg season at least was getting the 7th seed 7 or so years ago at 50-32.Yeah, I meant disappointing performance by spurs standards. Doubt they'll win more than 55 which most teams would take.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Scoots
07-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Next year it'll be harder to win 55 than in recent years with all of the talent in the West now.

Jamiecballer
07-09-2017, 07:32 PM
True. I am predicting sub 50 for the spurs. What about you

kdspurman
07-09-2017, 07:59 PM
True. I am predicting sub 50 for the spurs. What about you

I think they'll be in the 56-59 range personally.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Rudy Gay puts up empty stats. He never makes his team better. Maybe Pop can find a way though.

JLynn943
07-12-2017, 01:44 PM
I love this signing if Rudy is healthy. When he came to Sacramento, he played so much better than his reputation would indicate. The last year / year and a half, he wasn't quite as good, but we had a mess under Karl and Rudy got hurt. I think he's going to be great for the Spurs (again, if healthy). He was playing defense and playing within our system under Joerger, so I see no reason why he wouldn't under Pop.

He's one of the most disrespected players in this league, so I'm excited he's getting a chance to show he's not what people think.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-12-2017, 02:53 PM
The problem with Gay is he's an ISO scorer who in an ideal, winning environment is never gonna be the best ISO scorer on the floor for your team. So unless he has a very favourable match up, there really isn't much value in feeding him the rock and watching him go to work.

He has some nice offensive ISO talent, but it's gonna be a challenge to find a way to put his talents to good use. I imagine Gay might come off the bench for San Antonio. That would be a very Pop move. Maybe it could work.

PurpleLynch
07-12-2017, 09:27 PM
If healthy and open to adapt his game to what Pop wants, Gay could be an underrated move in this offseason imo.

TrueFan420
07-12-2017, 09:54 PM
I love this signing if Rudy is healthy. When he came to Sacramento, he played so much better than his reputation would indicate. The last year / year and a half, he wasn't quite as good, but we had a mess under Karl and Rudy got hurt. I think he's going to be great for the Spurs (again, if healthy). He was playing defense and playing within our system under Joerger, so I see no reason why he wouldn't under Pop.

He's one of the most disrespected players in this league, so I'm excited he's getting a chance to show he's not what people think.

Completely agree. He's still getting a bad rap from his raptor days. He was much better and sac. And Lowry and DD have the same issues he had in TO. ISO heavy offense. If healthy he will be a revelation on the Spurs.

mrblisterdundee
07-12-2017, 11:12 PM
I'd like to see Gay more small-ball power forward. Of course, that means getting Aldridge to play at center :sigh:.