PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Waive Monta Ellis

Wade n Fade
07-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Monta Ellis will have to take very little money to play with a contender or a team to get minutes.

NYKnickFanatic
07-05-2017, 06:59 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/reports-pacers-waive-monta-ellis-without-a-buyout-after-two-seasons/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Do you guys think anyone will claim him and pick up his contract? If no one does, who do you see him signing with, GSW? :D

4North
07-05-2017, 07:03 PM
I hope he re-joins The Warriors for the veterans minimum. He was my favorite player when he was still with us. I would just enjoy the public reaction to it which would be a riv.... an ocean of tears

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 07:04 PM
I bet he goes to the Cavs.

AllBall
07-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Only if I get to see more of this

http://i.imgur.com/PymqFjU.gif

YAALREADYKNO
07-05-2017, 07:07 PM
This dude was just killin it a few years ago in dallas

NYKnickFanatic
07-05-2017, 07:11 PM
I bet he goes to the Cavs.

Could be a nice addition off the bench.

Twolves88
07-05-2017, 07:41 PM
I'd love to have him on the timberwolves as a 6th man off the bench.

hugepatsfan
07-05-2017, 07:45 PM
I don't understand why they'd stretch him. Why spread the hit? They're rumored to be clearing space for Olynyk. I just don't get what their motivation is. I feel like they're just gonna compete for 8 seeds the next 5 years.

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Could be a nice addition off the bench.

It's crazy how much he's fallen off. Maybe didn't like his situation and wasn't happy there? He could definitely be a plus if he can somewhat get back to his ways.

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 07:46 PM

Wouldn't be a bad gamble for you all.

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 07:47 PM
"I'm Dwyane Wade without the championships." -Monta Ellis

Next game Wade gets an offensive rebound and dunk tips it over Ellis, great memories.

NYKnickFanatic
07-05-2017, 07:48 PM
It's crazy how much he's fallen off. Maybe didn't like his situation and wasn't happy there? He could definitely be a plus if he can somewhat get back to his ways.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think he was getting any PT in Indy. I guess he just didn't fit in to what they were trying to do. I could be wrong, hopefully an Indy fan could give some more input.

WaDe03
I don't understand why they'd stretch him. Why spread the hit? They're rumored to be clearing space for Olynyk. I just don't get what their motivation is. I feel like they're just gonna compete for 8 seeds the next 5 years.

I think they'll be a bottom 3 team in the East.

NYKnickFanatic

Interesting thought. Sounds good on paper.

ewing
07-05-2017, 07:54 PM
but he is beast

IndyRealist
07-05-2017, 08:00 PM
The numbers are wrong. I believe since he is waived he cannot exercise his player option, so it is $11.2M stretched over 3 years. If his player option is counted, then it is $23M over 5 years.

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 08:21 PM
The numbers are wrong. I believe since he is waived he cannot exercise his player option, so it is $11.2M stretched over 3 years. If his player option is counted, then it is $23M over 5 years.

You're right. Option is not counted.

Dade County
07-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Houston
Cavs
N.O

TrueFan420
07-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Houston
Cavs
N.O

I doubt he signs with the Cavs. He's not a great shooter or defender.

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 09:28 PM
I doubt he signs with the Cavs. He's not a great shooter or defender.

Based off last year, they need all the bench help they can get. They might take a gamble on him.

mightybosstone
07-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Supposedly, the Rockets may have had discussions with Ellis. As Houston's fourth guard, I'd be OK with him in Sweet Lou's role from last season. But there's other guys out there that I'd probably prefer, like Afflalo, Barbosa or Joe Johnson, if he gets bought out.

bleedprple&gold
07-05-2017, 10:29 PM

A player option is guaranteed money though so how does he lose it?

chipper10
07-05-2017, 10:43 PM
Hes under sized and seemed to get down on himself a lot last year. Plus the pacers r trying to go younger and he would take pt away from some of the youth. I went to some games last year (i live north of indy) and every time he came in the game it killed our momentum. Mostly turnovers and he doesnt have the same burst of speed he used to have

mightybosstone
07-05-2017, 11:06 PM
His strength is mid-range ... where Morey hates people to shoot.

Yeah, as a guy who can't defend, isn't an excellent playmaker and doesn't shoot the 3-pointer at a respectable mark, I kind of question if he's a great fit in Houston. But if it was for the veteran minimum? I'd take him.

Scoots
07-05-2017, 11:07 PM
Supposedly, the Rockets may have had discussions with Ellis. As Houston's fourth guard, I'd be OK with him in Sweet Lou's role from last season. But there's other guys out there that I'd probably prefer, like Afflalo, Barbosa or Joe Johnson, if he gets bought out.

His strength is mid-range ... where Morey hates people to shoot.

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2017, 12:09 AM
He should consider playin in the Big 3 league

Bowman53
07-06-2017, 12:15 AM
Monta's skills have declined badly. In the first round against the Cavs he couldn't even keep his balance on most plays he would made in his sleep 5 years ago.

beasted86
07-06-2017, 12:29 AM
His best fit is with Memphis IMO. They could use a little scoring punch.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Monta "have it all" Ellis.

IndyRealist
07-06-2017, 08:37 AM
A player option is guaranteed money though so how does he lose it?

It's not guaranteed until he accepts it. He has not stated he is taking his player option year, which he cannot do until later. A player option is an opt-in, it's not there until you do. An early termination option (ETO) is an opt-out, meaning the extra year counts unless you decline it. I think this may be the only situation where the difference matters.

At the end of the season we waived Rodney Stuckey bc he was injured, who also had a player option.

IndyRealist
07-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Yeah, as a guy who can't defend, isn't an excellent playmaker and doesn't shoot the 3-pointer at a respectable mark, I kind of question if he's a great fit in Houston. But if it was for the veteran minimum? I'd take him.

It'll be for the vet min, since he was waived he can't make extra.

Monta's best role is as a point guard. He actually has great court vision and passing. He has has a size advantage as a 1. The problem is that he sees himself as a scoring 2 and refuses to play point for long, much like Jamal Crawford.

If he ever accepted a backup point guard role, he'd be 6th man of the year.

MrfadeawayJB
07-06-2017, 10:00 AM
His best fit is with Memphis IMO. They could use a little scoring punch.

I like adding him to the grizz. Plus, he's from close to Memphis so fans would be excited.

mrblisterdundee
07-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Is there any better scenario for Indiana?

hugepatsfan
07-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Is there any better scenario for Indiana?

Bottom out for a year or two. I'm not saying go on some 5 year tank plan like PHI but do they really need to sign guys like Collison or Olynyk right now? I'm pretty sure players like that will be there for the taking every year.

3 years ago BOS made a late season charge and got the 7/8 seed. We got swept by CLE. We ended up with #16 instead of a pick around #10. That was the year Ainge tried to trade a HAUL for Justice Winslow but rumors said they also liked Myles Turner. We couldn't move up high enough for either. We took Terry Rozier at #16.

Again, I'm not saying you have to tank and sell off everyone, never try to compete. But I just don't see the rush to jump into deals for so many mid-level guys. You just traded your superstar away. I feel like it's perfectly fine to not go all-in on trying for the playoffs right away.

IndyRealist
07-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Bottom out for a year or two. I'm not saying go on some 5 year tank plan like PHI but do they really need to sign guys like Collison or Olynyk right now? I'm pretty sure players like that will be there for the taking every year.

3 years ago BOS made a late season charge and got the 7/8 seed. We got swept by CLE. We ended up with #16 instead of a pick around #10. That was the year Ainge tried to trade a HAUL for Justice Winslow but rumors said they also liked Myles Turner. We couldn't move up high enough for either. We took Terry Rozier at #16.

Again, I'm not saying you have to tank and sell off everyone, never try to compete. But I just don't see the rush to jump into deals for so many mid-level guys. You just traded your superstar away. I feel like it's perfectly fine to not go all-in on trying for the playoffs right away.

Indy doesn't tank. Since 2000 we've fielded 3 separate contending teams never having a pick better than 10.

bleedprple&gold
07-06-2017, 03:20 PM
It's not guaranteed until he accepts it. He has not stated he is taking his player option year, which he cannot do until later. A player option is an opt-in, it's not there until you do. An early termination option (ETO) is an opt-out, meaning the extra year counts unless you decline it. I think this may be the only situation where the difference matters.

At the end of the season we waived Rodney Stuckey bc he was injured, who also had a player option.

I always thought player options were fully guaranteed if the player is waived but I guess it depends on the terms of the contract according to the CBA FAQ.

All contracts with player options contain a clause that indicates whether the player receives his salary for the option year in the event his contract is terminated (i.e., he is waived and clears waivers) prior to invoking his option. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q57

So in some cases if the player is waived they get their player option money and in other cases they don't depending on how the contract was written.

IndyRealist
07-06-2017, 04:09 PM
I always thought player options were fully guaranteed if the player is waived but I guess it depends on the terms of the contract according to the CBA FAQ.

So in some cases if the player is waived they get their player option money and in other cases they don't depending on how the contract was written.

I thought that was what I said.

bleedprple&gold
07-06-2017, 05:36 PM
I thought that was what I said.

No, you said the player always HAS to pick up his option first to get the money. Not necessarily, in some cases they still get the money even if the option has not been picked up before being waived, especially if there are multiple years left on the deal and they can't pick up their option yet.

IndyRealist
07-06-2017, 06:17 PM
No, you said the player always HAS to pick up his option first to get the money. Not necessarily, in some cases they still get the money even if the option has not been picked up before being waived, especially if there are multiple years left on the deal and they can't pick up their option yet.

That would be an early termination option, or ETO, yes?

bleedprple&gold
07-06-2017, 09:27 PM
That would be an early termination option, or ETO, yes?

Not necessarily:

The remainder of the contract includes any seasons following an Early Termination Option (ETO), but not a season following a player or team option. However, as mentioned in question number 57, all contracts with player options contain a clause indicating whether the player receives his salary for the option year in the event he is waived before the option is picked-up. This clause states that the benefit is "to the same extent" as if the option had been exercised. The league interprets this to mean that the team salary is charged to all seasons of the contract, including the unexercised option season. For example, when Derek Fisher was waived by the Houston Rockets during the 2011-12 season, his player option for the 2012-13 season was unexercised. His remaining guaranteed salary (he agreed to take less in a buyout arrangement) was charged to the Rockets' cap in both 2011-12 and 2012-13. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

IndyRealist
07-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Not that anyone cares at this point, but it's being reported that for some reason the option year counts for the stretch, but the money doesn't. So it's $11.2M, not $23M, over 5 years not 3. The CBA is stupid.

Vinylman
07-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Not that anyone cares at this point, but it's being reported that for some reason the option year counts for the stretch, but the money doesn't. So it's $11.2M, not $23M, over 5 years not 3. The CBA is stupid.

Wow... that is great for you guys

As far as the CBA it is beyond stupid