PDA

View Full Version : Miami Heat Plan to Retire Chris Bosh's Number

NYKnickFanatic
07-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Heat president Pat Riley issued a statement noting the organization will also retire Bosh's No. 1 and hang his jersey in the rafters:

"Chris changed his life and basketball career when he came to Miami. And he changed our lives for the better, in a way we never would have imagined, when he joined the Miami HEAT. We will forever be indebted to CB for how he changed this team and led us to four trips to the NBA Finals and two NBA Championships. He is, without a doubt, one of the greatest players in the history of the franchise. The number '1' will never be worn by another player and we can't wait to someday hang his jersey in the rafters. Today, we are both moving on but we wish Chris, Adrienne and their family nothing but the best. They will forever be part of the Miami HEAT family."

Thoughts?

HandsOnTheWheel
07-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Classy move for a classy guy.

Big Zo
07-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Absolute no-brainer. Chris is a hall of fame player, and was part of huge championship moments.

NYKnickFanatic
07-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Absolute no-brainer. Chris is a hall of fame player, and was part of huge championship moments.

Do you think they will retire LeBron's?

TylerSL
07-04-2017, 06:21 PM
He deserves it completely. Chris Bosh is one of the 5 greatest players to ever wear a Heat jersey. The list of players who deserve their jersey's retired by the Heat are

Wade #3
Lebron #6
Mourning #33
Bosh #1
Shaq #32
Hardaway #10
Haslem #40

No one else as of yet deserves that honor, but Bosh is certainly one of them.

TylerSL
07-04-2017, 06:27 PM

With time yes, he is the best player to ever wear a Heat uniform. D-Wade is the greatest player of our franchise because 13 years of Wade>4 years of Lebron, but Lebron is the best player we've ever had. Also it helps he only wore #6 with us. So yes, it will get retired.

eDush
07-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Bosh sacrificed his game a lot to help the Big 3 win 2 championships and has my respect as a fan to be willing it do that :clap:

Raps18-19 Champ
07-04-2017, 07:26 PM
They'll probably retire Haslem's and Tyler Johnson's at this point.

Big Zo
07-04-2017, 07:41 PM

Yes they will. Just like they retired Shaq's.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-04-2017, 07:41 PM
^ ?

Big Zo
07-04-2017, 07:43 PM
He deserves it completely. Chris Bosh is one of the 5 greatest players to ever wear a Heat jersey. The list of players who deserve their jersey's retired by the Heat are

Wade #3
Lebron #6
Mourning #33
Bosh #1
Shaq #32
Hardaway #10
Haslem #40

No one else as of yet deserves that honor, but Bosh is certainly one of them.

Some would argue they should retire Glen Rice's #41.

Mr. Baller
07-04-2017, 07:45 PM
They'll probably retire Haslem's and Tyler Johnson's at this point.

Of course they are gonna retire Udonis' jersey.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Don't forget MJ. They retired his number for no reason.

KB24PG16
07-04-2017, 07:48 PM
they retired jordans so i don't see why they wouldn't retire bosh's, the heat aren't exactly a storied franchise

Raps18-19 Champ
07-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Of course they are gonna retire Udonis' jersey.

Unfortunately, I agree.

Chronz
07-04-2017, 08:11 PM
In a world where even the Clippers have cause for doubt in retiring CP3's jersey, I see no reason why an inconsistent/often injured/debilitated/HIGHLY inferior player should get such a distinction.

No offense but what the **** did the man do? Sacrifice stats? He wasn't leading the league in anything, wasn't a statistical monster to being with, well outside the year he quit on his team in a playoff stretch and vowed to never play that demanding style ever again. Its not like he became some kind of beast when Wade/Bron weren't around. The man was a quality Horace Grant type on a championship team and a primary focal point on a possible playoff team and had to go out of its way to highlight his skills.

Such an overrated player IMO, I've never heard anyone get as much praise as CB for going scoreless in an elimination game. Such is the life of an afterthought.

WaDe03
07-04-2017, 11:05 PM
Unfortunately, I agree.

Does it still hurt that they took Bosh?

THE MTL
07-04-2017, 11:10 PM
The Heat lose credibility retiring all these numbers. Bosh only played 4.5 full seasons with the team. I don't consider that worthy of retirement. But since they retired Shaq's and Jordans (?), I guess it makes sense to them because he won them 2 championships.

cmellofan15
07-04-2017, 11:48 PM

Why would a Bulls fan care?

Raps18-19 Champ
07-05-2017, 12:09 AM

It didn't cross my mind because it doesn't bother me that he left. But great, you tried to be cute and you failed.

LA_Raiders
07-05-2017, 01:54 AM
Not enough seasons as a heat IMO.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-05-2017, 02:37 AM
Well they retired a guy who only played 0 games for them so the bar is pretty low.

ManningToTyree
07-05-2017, 02:55 AM
They will retire anyone so not surprised. Shaq and Jordan are ridiculous

TylerSL
07-05-2017, 06:33 AM
In a world where even the Clippers have cause for doubt in retiring CP3's jersey, I see no reason why an inconsistent/often injured/debilitated/HIGHLY inferior player should get such a distinction.

No offense but what the **** did the man do? Sacrifice stats? He wasn't leading the league in anything, wasn't a statistical monster to being with, well outside the year he quit on his team in a playoff stretch and vowed to never play that demanding style ever again. Its not like he became some kind of beast when Wade/Bron weren't around. The man was a quality Horace Grant type on a championship team and a primary focal point on a possible playoff team and had to go out of its way to highlight his skills.

Such an overrated player IMO, I've never heard anyone get as much praise as CB for going scoreless in an elimination game. Such is the life of an afterthought.

He won 2 championships. The Heat Big 3 would have won a total of 0 NBA Championships if Chris Bosh wasn't there. That rebound/pass to Ray Allen in Game 6 of the 2013 is one of the iconic moments of this era. He was an extremely clutch shooter, amazing pick and roll defender, solid 3 point shooter, efficient from the floor, and I could just keep going. He was just a tremendous basketball player and a better person. He deserves getting his jersey retired.

As to overrated, look no farther than DeAndre Jordan.

ewing
07-05-2017, 07:00 AM
Riles likes retiring numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Why would a Bulls fan care?

Nothing matters to a Nuggets fan. You're kind of just there for no reason.

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 09:24 AM
It didn't cross my mind because it doesn't bother me that he left. But great, you tried to be cute and you failed.

I think it probably does bother you, you sound pretty upset. Please tell me I'm cute!

Raps18-19 Champ
07-05-2017, 06:43 PM
I think it probably does bother you, you sound pretty upset. Please tell me I'm cute!

Reported for baiting.

Wade n Fade
07-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Question for non-Heat and non-Raptors fans out there: If you were a hall of fame voter, would Bosh's health situation get your sympathy and possibly influence your vote?

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Question for non-Heat and non-Raptors fans out there: If you were a hall of fame voter, would Bosh's health situation get your sympathy and possibly influence your vote?

It's not needed though so it shouldn't really be in question. He's definitely a hall of famer, no doubt. They were talking about him today maybe being in that same HOF class as Kobe and Duncan in 2021 I believe.

I don't see why others are taking shots at this decision to retire the jersey though. They have 3 championships and 5 finals appearances in franchise history, Bosh was the 3rd best player and all star on 2 of the championships and 4 of the finals and had huge games/plays in every run. That's a huge part of the team history. Are retired numbers supposed to be reserved for just the best player in that franchises history?

Hardaway, Mourning, Bosh, Shaq, LeBron, and Wade were all huge for the franchise and will have or have their numbers retired because of that. Jordan has his number retired out of respect of being the GOAT, he's the only one that should be in question though.

Look around the league and you'll find players who are worse and didn't accomplish as much Bosh but have their numbers retired.

cmellofan15
07-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Nothing matters to a Nuggets fan. You're kind of just there for no reason.

LMAO you mean like D Wade in the playoffs for the last 10 years?

Wrench
07-05-2017, 08:17 PM
The Seattle SuperSonics retired Nate McMillan's number but not Gary Payton's and people are really *****ing about the Heat doing it for Bosh? Really? And the Trail Blazers retired like 4 numbers just due to the 77' season. Been tons and tons of much worse decisions (I will even give you #23 by the Heat, off choice but the entire NHL retired Gretzky's #99 so I can see why)

A guy who was a huge part of the Big 3, universally loved by all the fans/players/coaches and only got to play 4.5 years dude to illness. Easy choice, its respect.

WaDe03
07-05-2017, 08:24 PM
LMAO you mean like D Wade in the playoffs for the last 10 years?

This is probably your worst come back yet as it's so far from the truth. I googled Denver Nuggets championships and it said "no results found."

Chronz
07-06-2017, 12:40 AM
He won 2 championships. The Heat Big 3 would have won a total of 0 NBA Championships if Chris Bosh wasn't there. That rebound/pass to Ray Allen in Game 6 of the 2013 is one of the iconic moments of this era. He was an extremely clutch shooter, amazing pick and roll defender, solid 3 point shooter, efficient from the floor, and I could just keep going. He was just a tremendous basketball player and a better person. He deserves getting his jersey retired.

As to overrated, look no farther than DeAndre Jordan.

I disagree, according to Kobe Bryant, the Lakers dont win without D-Fish, I dont really care about that. That rebound doesn't change the fact that he was abused by basically every decent bigman, sucked on the glass, went scoreless in the final game of that series (which is far more important than an isolated incident) and I think you are exaggerating his clutchness too.Great guy, just not a great player but I have pretty high standards.

DJ has nothing to do with it but he is prolly underrated too.

goingfor28
07-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Undeserved. A marginally above average player at best.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pierzynski4Prez
07-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Just retire them all Pat!

WaDe03
07-06-2017, 05:46 PM
ZBo is getting his number retired by the Grizzlies. You all think he deserves it over Bosh? Not even close.

tp13baby
07-06-2017, 07:07 PM
The Heat lose credibility retiring all these numbers. Bosh only played 4.5 full seasons with the team. I don't consider that worthy of retirement. But since they retired Shaq's and Jordans (?), I guess it makes sense to them because he won them 2 championships.

Yeah cause he was elite for a championship team. Heat retiring anyone who was playin for them at the pinnacle of their career. I disagree with this.

NYKnickFanatic
07-06-2017, 07:10 PM
ZBo is getting his number retired by the Grizzlies. You all think he deserves it over Bosh? Not even close.

I think so. Outside of basketball, he meant more and did a lot for the Memphis community than Bosh did for Miami.

tp13baby
07-06-2017, 07:10 PM

ZBo wasn't a better player, but I think the longevity and the level he played at for that time for that Memphis franchise is more arguable than Bosh. I'm not a Memphis fan but these teams are so excited to retire players numbers.

I don't even think Melo gets his retired in Denver and that's more deserving than both those 2.

TylerSL
07-06-2017, 07:40 PM
I disagree, according to Kobe Bryant, the Lakers dont win without D-Fish, I dont really care about that. That rebound doesn't change the fact that he was abused by basically every decent bigman, sucked on the glass, went scoreless in the final game of that series (which is far more important than an isolated incident) and I think you are exaggerating his clutchness too.Great guy, just not a great player but I have pretty high standards.

DJ has nothing to do with it but he is prolly underrated too.

You're just wrong about Bosh I guess so no real need to extend the discussion. I only mentioned DJ because you said Bosh was overrated which I found ironic. DJ isn't underrated, the guy is completely useless on the court outside of 2 feet from the basket and continually costs the Clippers deeper playoff runs because of his pure laziness at the free throw line. Honestly, they would have been better pressed to let him go to Dallas but agree to disagree on that too I guess.

TylerSL
07-06-2017, 07:40 PM
I think so. Outside of basketball, he meant more and did a lot for the Memphis community than Bosh did for Miami.

lol