PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Auction Conference Finals (Monstars vs Seaside Seagulls)

valade16
07-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Every year posters from PSD come together and do a secret auction of all players throughout NBA history attempting to make the best team and win the PSD NBA All-Time Auction Championship! Please look over the teams and vote based on which team you think would win in a 7 game series.

Monstars is the higher seed and has home court advantage for this matchup.

Monstars:

PG: Chauncey Billups [36] | Jojo White [9] | Hal Greer [3]
SG: Sidney Moncrief [32] | Hal Greer [10] | Chauncey Billups [2]
SF: Larry Bird [34] | Connie Hawkins [10] | Sidney Moncrief [4]
PF: Elvin Hayes [30] | Larry Bird [6] | Tom Heinsohn [6]
C: Ben Wallace [29] | Andrew Bynum [16] | Elvin Hayes [3]

Vs

Seaside Seagulls

PG: Steph Curry | Derek Harper
SG: Joe Dumars | Michael Redd
SF: Alex English | Kyle Korver
PF: Bob McAdoo | Gus Johnson
C: Dwight Howard | Kevin Willis

GREATNESS ONE
07-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Monstars.

valade16
07-03-2017, 01:42 AM
I'll have a more thorough write-up tomorrow but for now:

I have 3/4 of the best players in the series and head to head matchup English almost matched Bird scoring-wise:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Alex+English&player_id1_select=Alex+English&player_id1=englial01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Larry+Bird&player_id2_select=Larry+Bird&player_id2=birdla01&idx=players

Additionally Dwight had no trouble with Big Ben:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Dwight+Howard&player_id1_select=Dwight+Howard&player_id1=howardw01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Ben+Wallace&player_id2_select=Ben+Wallace&player_id2=wallabe01&idx=players

And McAdoo averaged 37 PPG vs Hayes and the Bullets in the playoffs:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Bob+McAdoo&player_id1_select=Bob+McAdoo&player_id1=mcadobo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Elvin+Hayes&player_id2_select=Elvin+Hayes&player_id2=hayesel01&idx=players

My team is more talented 1-5 and although he has 2 premium defenders, they won't enough to stop my 3 premium scorers. He doesn't have the scoring punch to keep up with me. Outside of Bird he has Hayes, who has terrible efficiency (under 50% TS%), and Moncrief who although averaged over 20 PPG in his prime during the regular season, only once averaged over 20 PPG in the playoffs. Then he has Big Ben who will generously contribute 7 PPG.

He simply can't keep up with McAdoo out scoring Hayes, English matching Bird and Steph Curry handily out scoring his #3 scorer.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2017, 08:35 AM
I'll have a more thorough write-up tomorrow but for now:

I have 3/4 of the best players in the series and head to head matchup English almost matched Bird scoring-wise:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Alex+English&player_id1_select=Alex+English&player_id1=englial01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Larry+Bird&player_id2_select=Larry+Bird&player_id2=birdla01&idx=players

Additionally Dwight had no trouble with Big Ben:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Dwight+Howard&player_id1_select=Dwight+Howard&player_id1=howardw01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Ben+Wallace&player_id2_select=Ben+Wallace&player_id2=wallabe01&idx=players

And McAdoo averaged 37 PPG vs Hayes and the Bullets in the playoffs:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Bob+McAdoo&player_id1_select=Bob+McAdoo&player_id1=mcadobo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Elvin+Hayes&player_id2_select=Elvin+Hayes&player_id2=hayesel01&idx=players

My team is more talented 1-5 and although he has 2 premium defenders, they won't enough to stop my 3 premium scorers. He doesn't have the scoring punch to keep up with me. Outside of Bird he has Hayes, who has terrible efficiency (under 50% TS%), and Moncrief who although averaged over 20 PPG in his prime during the regular season, only once averaged over 20 PPG in the playoffs. Then he has Big Ben who will generously contribute 7 PPG.

He simply can't keep up with McAdoo out scoring Hayes, English matching Bird and Steph Curry handily out scoring his #3 scorer.

I thought I was an automatic vote for Monstars until the Finals but this was a compelling post. Now I am 50-50. I will wait to hear a response before voting.

Sadds The Gr8
07-03-2017, 10:47 AM
My points against Monstars still stand (Valade used them again), but I think the Monstars matchup better here. 2 solid guys to cover Curry, and they don't really have a Draymond type shooting or passing PnR big to maximize Curry's full arsenal. Curry and D12 PnR is nice, but it doesnt have versatility because Dwight lacks shooting and passing (he also admitted that he hates PnR).

Seaside also has no answer for the Legend...not even on his bench. I think this would be a low scoring, drag-out series with Monstars winning in 6 games

valade16
07-03-2017, 01:16 PM
My points against Monstars still stand (Valade used them again), but I think the Monstars matchup better here. 2 solid guys to cover Curry, and they don't really have a Draymond type shooting or passing PnR big to maximize Curry's full arsenal. Curry and D12 PnR is nice, but it doesnt have versatility because Dwight lacks shooting and passing (he also admitted that he hates PnR).

Seaside also has no answer for the Legend...not even on his bench. I think this would be a low scoring, drag-out series with Monstars winning in 6 games

Bob McAdoo is one of the best jump shooting big men ever. Isiah Thomas and Kevin McHale even talk about him being the original stretch-4 on NBA Open Court. Him on a PnR with Curry would be a very good all-time faximile of Green.

Like I posted, it's not like Bird shut down English, in their head to head Bird scored 21 PPG and English scored 20 PPG. The problem for him is my #3 scorer is now keeping pace with his #1.

This will be compounded by me switching Dwight onto Hayes leaving McAdoo to cover Big Ben. Now his #2 scorer has 3x DPOY Dwight guarding him and Moncrief has one of the best perimeter defenders ever in Dumars guarding him.

Bird would need to score 60 every night. He'd be the only scoring option he has and against my offensive firepower, it won't be enough.

Sadds The Gr8
07-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Bob McAdoo is one of the best jump shooting big men ever. Isiah Thomas and Kevin McHale even talk about him being the original stretch-4 on NBA Open Court. Him on a PnR with Curry would be a very good all-time faximile of Green.

Like I posted, it's not like Bird shut down English, in their head to head Bird scored 21 PPG and English scored 20 PPG. The problem for him is my #3 scorer is now keeping pace with his #1.

This will be compounded by me switching Dwight onto Hayes leaving McAdoo to cover Big Ben. Now his #2 scorer has 3x DPOY Dwight guarding him and Moncrief has one of the best perimeter defenders ever in Dumars guarding him.

Bird would need to score 60 every night. He'd be the only scoring option he has and against my offensive firepower, it won't be enough.

Mcadoo has 3-range and pick n pop abilities?

valade16
07-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Mcadoo has 3-range and pick n pop abilities?

Well they didn't have he 3-point line in his prime and it wasn't really a big thing even later, but here is his NBA.com bio:

"One of the best shooting big men of all-time"

In 1976 Sports Illustrated said of McAdoo "the quickest tall man, the finest shooter and most astounding outside scoring machine to ever play basketball"

Dunkapolooza
07-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Yeah I'm kinda stunned how little people know about an MVP. Dirk is a modern McAdoo, except McAdoo averaged - 32.1 pts 10.3 reb 2.8 ast 2.5 blk .514%

Compared to Dirk's peak - 25.7 pts 9.2 reb 3.1 ast 1.1 blk .511 efg%

Outside of Dirks' improbable ring I don't know why McAdoo isn't rated just as high. I really don't. Lack of a traditional fan base since Buffalo doesn't have a team anymore? he took those teams to the playoffs every year with garbage like Randy Smith and Gar Heard as his second best players. There are very few players outside of the top 3 bid groups who can say they did that. Or averaged 30 pts a game with 500+ efg%.

McAdoo would win the match up with Hayes big time. He'd score more at a much higher efficiency.

Alex English can score just as well as Bird. Their peaks are almost identical. English - 28.1 / .517 efg% vs Bird - 28.1 / .542%

SS has waaaay more offense here. And they have Dumars and Howard to Ben Wallace and Squid defensively. So I think Seaside has a better chance of keeping up with Monstars defensively than the Monstars have a chance of keeping up with Seagulls offensively.

Sadds The Gr8
07-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Well they didn't have he 3-point line in his prime and it wasn't really a big thing even later, but here is his NBA.com bio:

"One of the best shooting big men of all-time"

In 1976 Sports Illustrated said of McAdoo "the quickest tall man, the finest shooter and most astounding outside scoring machine to ever play basketball"

I know there was no 3, I just don't know if he had that range to maximize Curry's arsenal

KnicksorBust
07-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Score?

valade16
07-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Score?

9-6 Monstars in the lead.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-05-2017, 02:52 AM
A shame Seagulls is losing.

Had a feeling that if they ran into a SF that they would have a ton of trouble (though I think Dumars is decent enough to handle Bird when they really need to). His weakest defender is McAdoo and can be hidden on Wallace.

NYKalltheway
07-05-2017, 05:14 AM
Monstars should win this easy.

KnicksorBust
07-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Seaside. D12 would do great on Hayes. Mac hides on Wallace. Billups would be exhausted guarding Curry through all these screens. The Bird advantage isn't enough imo.

On my phone but Valade gets my vote.

valade16
07-05-2017, 03:32 PM
I'm down 2 votes. C'Mon people! Vote!

GREATNESS ONE
07-05-2017, 03:33 PM
:laugh2:

Redrum187
07-05-2017, 07:45 PM
My vote is for SS, damn app won't let me.

valade16
07-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Monstars win.

KnicksorBust
07-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Final score?

valade16
07-05-2017, 09:44 PM
Final score?

I lost 10-9. It was close. Super built a very good team.

eDush
07-05-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm down 2 votes. C'Mon people! Vote!Not sure which team you own but I'm taken the team that has Steph on it all day long!!! :clap:

KnicksorBust
07-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Final score?

I lost 10-9. It was close. Super built a very good team.

Did you count me, RR, and Edush?

jon32
07-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Was too busy to vote but close match! I woulda voted super without a 2nd thought. He was my number 1 team from the start

valade16
07-06-2017, 12:03 AM
Did you count me, RR, and Edush?

I counted you and RR but unfortunately for me Edush's vote was after the poll had closed therefore the final score was 10-9. And beyond that, Jon's vote would have made it 11-10 Super anyway.

Congratulations Super. The Finals will go up tomorrow morning.