PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Auction Conference Finals (Team Jon vs Team RR)

valade16
07-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Every year posters from PSD come together and do a secret auction of all players throughout NBA history attempting to make the best team and with the PSD NBA All-Time Auction Championship! Please look over the teams and vote based on which team you think would win in a 7 game series.

Team Jon is the higher seed and will have homecourt advantage in this matchup.

Team Jon:

PG: John Stockton (38) | Alvin Robertson (6) | Steve Francis (4)
SG: Alvin Robertson (32) | World B. Free (16)
SF: Peja Stojakovic (32) | Mark Aguirre (16)
PF: Charles Oakley (22) | LaMarcus Aldridge (20) | Peja Stojakovic (4)
C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (40) | Charles Oakley (8)

Reserve PF/C: Derrick Coleman

Vs

Team RR:

G: Hersey Hawkins
G: Michael Jordan
F: Kawhi Leonard
F: Wes Unseld
C: Tyson Chandler

B: Mike Conley
B: Michael Ray Richardson
B: Raja Bell
B: Toni Kukoc
B: Dan Roundfield

GREATNESS ONE
07-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Going with RR:

GREATNESS ONE
07-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Going with RR.

Redrum187
07-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Offense:

Efficiency in 3-Year Peaks

Hersey Hawkins: .588 TS%
Michael Jordan: .608 TS%
Kawhi Leonard: .601 TS%
Wes Unseld: .534 TS%
Tyson Chandler: .692 TS%

Because Team RR is hyper-efficient with an extremely dynamic offense, athleticism and agility, we plan to increase the tempo of the game and create mismatches. In doing so, Team RR accomplishes two important things: Tires out Kareem (their only viable offensive force) who was a halfcourt player and allows whoever Peja guards a clear path to the basket.

Hersey Hawkins scored over 20 points per game (.588 TS%). He shot 40% from 3 and got to the free throw line over 6 times per game. He was a great off-ball guard who could create his own shot, draw a foul, a willing passer, and attack the rim (putting pressure on his defender). Stockton will have his hands full on defense no matter what, especially when Micheal Ray comes in the game and plays with Jordan and Kawhi; Stockton is 6í1, Micheal Ray is 6í5.

In 30 head-to-head games, Michael Jordan averaged 34.7 points, 5.1 assist, 6.4 rebounds, 2.8 steals, .9 blocks, on .608 TS% against Team Jonís Alvin Robertson. Alvin was a great defender, but at 6í3, proved he could do absolutely NOTHING to hender Jordan in their NBA careers. Itís not like Stockton who is 6í1, or Peja who is heavy-footed, could do any better on Jordan. Perhaps the crippling blow is that Team Jon has absolutely no one on his bench (or starting unit) that can slow down Jordan as none of them were defenders. Jordan and Kawhi plan to play pick and roll a lot to exploit both Alvin and Peja. Peja on Jordan is a nightmare waiting to happen for Team Jon.

Kawhi Leonard will be taking advantage of Peja guarding him by sprinting in transition, blowing by him in a half-court set, passing to the open man if anyone on Team Jon tries to help Peja on defense, shoot the open 3, etcÖ In the Jordan pick and roll, Alvin will have to guard 6í7 Kawhi. When Peja and another teammate double Jordan in the pick and roll, Kawhi will have the option of taking Alvin down in the post.

Wes Unseld was MVP and Finals MVP because of all the intangibles he brought to his team. With the extreme efficiency, athleticism, and agility that Team RR has, Unseld will use his rebounding advantage to do his historic outlet passing to Hersey/Jordan/Kawhi. Along with rebounding, passing, and defense, another thing Unseld was known for were his bone crushing picks. He was built like a brick wall. His already short PG/SG will be battered and abused trying to keep up Hersey/Jordan. While Team RR isnít relying on Unseld for major points, Unseld averaged 21.36 points against Kareem in his 3-year prime. Iím not sure who Team Jon plans to put on Unseld though, it likely wonít matter.

Tyson Chandler lead the league in TS% for 3 years in a row during his 3 year peak (.692 TS%). Having 3 elite shooters on the starting unit will allow Tyson to excel like he did in real life, offensive rebounds and put backs, and alley-hoop slams from Team RRís elite passers. He was very long and agile for 7í1 which would demand Kareem to get back on transition otherwise give up 2 easy points. Along with being a hyper efficient big man, he has a rare skillset of hitting his free throws.

Defense:

Jordan (DPOY) will be on Stockton. While Stockton barely averaged 17 points per game in his 3 year peak, Team RR acknowledges he was a great play-maker. By putting Jordan on Stockton, we have a bigger, stronger, faster, and longer defender to cut the head off of Team Jon's floor general. Stockton wonít receive a break either, when Conley, Micheal Ray, or Kawhi take over on defense. We plan to give him multiple looks so he doesnít adapt.

In 17 head-to-head games, Hersey Hawkins limited Robertson to 13.4 points per game. Robertson was a pedestrian 3 point shooter, 26.1% in 3 year peak, and even worse when Hawkins was guarding him, shooting 20.8%. He wonít be providing Team Jon much help scoring.

Kawhi Leonard (2x DPOY) will be covering Peja. Kawhi is the most ideal player in NBA history to cover Peja. Stockton only has one 3 point sniper to pass it to and it isnít a good scenario when you have Kawhi on him. Peja isnít fast or strong enough to get a one-up on Kawhi offensively.

Wes Unseld is an extremely underrated defender. They didnít have DBPM back when he was in his prime, but out-of-prime Unseld lead the league in DBPM 2x years in a row (not the biggest fan of defensive advanced stats but this confirms what every sports expert has said about his defense). He will be primarily on Oakley who wasnít an offensive force whatsoever. Once again, another Team Jon player who wonít contribute much offensively.

I decided to bench Dan ďfreakingĒ Roundfield because I respect Kareem and needed someone who was just as tall and long as Kareem to defend him. Enter DPOY, Tyson Chandler. I know Kareem will get his points, but Tyson is a fantastic Center to defend Kareem. He has the strength and speed to keep up with him and challenge his shots. In addition, Kareem would have been running a track meet all game, trying to keep up with Team RRís fast pace tempo. I also plan to use Unseld and Dan ďfreakingĒ Roundfield on Kareem when Tyson rests. Roundfield guarded the opposing teams best Forward or Center, and in 17 games, limited Kareem to only 23.4 points per game, which is far below his average.

Bench:

I don't think it's close at all. Team RR has 2-way players to come in and maintain offensive and defensive pressure. By moving DPOY Tyson Chandler to the starting unit, Dan Roundfield becomes the super 6th man.

As mentioned previously, no one on Team Jon's bench can assist Alvin (who couldn't even do it himself) in slowing Michael Jordan down. It's a bad matchup for them. He also only has Aguirre off the bench to come in for scoring, but if he takes Peja out, Stockton won't have anyone to pass it to for a kick out 3 pointer, and if he takes Alvin out, he loses his only wing defender not 6'1 that has to now cover Jordan.

Conclusion:

Team Jonís advantage at C isnít enough offense to beat Team RR. With as great and gifted of a passer John Stockton was, he simply only has 1 player to pass to in hopes for some points. Jordan on Stockton, Kawhi on the only person Stockton can pass it to for a 3 pointer, Alvin only scoring 13 points against Hawkins, Oakley being a non-threat offensively, and Tyson (DPOY), Roundfield (5x All Defense), and Unseld on Kareem is excruciatingly debilitating for Team Jon. This is compounded by the increase tempo Team RR plans to run which would have an even greater necessity on offensive for Team Jon.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2017, 08:43 AM
The only negatives I see for RR is that Hersey Hawkins is a JAG and the frontcourt scoring. Hawkins is a decent SG playing PG. It would bother me more except he can get away with throwing him on Alvin and he helps space the floor for MJ/Kawhi because he was a sniper. The other negative would be the Unseld/Chandler frontcourt is very lighting on scoring. It makes you wonder what type of final score these games would have... but Oakley is not a scorer either and Stockton is more of a facilitator than a scorer. So Jon is relying heavily on Peja and Kareem who are BOTH being covered by DPOY players. It's a pretty legit argument. I love sliding Unseld to PF here to keep the rebounding even and keep his passing in the lineup. Chandler is what he is. A tremendous roller to the basket in pick and rolls. That should be enough. Kareem having to switch on to Kawhi or MJ would be fascinating. I was leaning RR and even though he didn't address how he would handle 4 minutes of Stevie Franchise off the bench, the writeup pushed me over the edge. He gets my vote.

Sadds The Gr8
07-03-2017, 10:38 AM
I can't believe these 2 teams made it so far. Both so flawed. I never liked Jon's team because I think their scoring would be awful. KAJ and Peja is basically the #2 in an ATRD? Oakley AND Robertson starting? I'll take the PSD wet dream team, and predict they lose in the finals to whoever wins the other matchup.

Sadds The Gr8
07-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Offense:

Efficiency in 3-Year Peaks

Hersey Hawkins: .588 TS%
Michael Jordan: .608 TS%
Kawhi Leonard: .601 TS%
Wes Unseld: .534 TS%
Tyson Chandler: .692 TS%

Because Team RR is hyper-efficient with an extremely dynamic offense, athleticism and agility, we plan to increase the tempo of the game and create mismatches. In doing so, Team RR accomplishes two important things: Tires out Kareem (their only viable offensive force) who was a halfcourt player and allows whoever Peja guards a clear path to the basket.

Hersey Hawkins scored over 20 points per game (.588 TS%). He shot 40% from 3 and got to the free throw line over 6 times per game. He was a great off-ball guard who could create his own shot, draw a foul, a willing passer, and attack the rim (putting pressure on his defender). Stockton will have his hands full on defense no matter what, especially when Micheal Ray comes in the game and plays with Jordan and Kawhi; Stockton is 6í1, Micheal Ray is 6í5.

In 30 head-to-head games, Michael Jordan averaged 34.7 points, 5.1 assist, 6.4 rebounds, 2.8 steals, .9 blocks, on .608 TS% against Team Jonís Alvin Robertson. Alvin was a great defender, but at 6í3, proved he could do absolutely NOTHING to hender Jordan in their NBA careers. Itís not like Stockton who is 6í1, or Peja who is heavy-footed, could do any better on Jordan. Perhaps the crippling blow is that Team Jon has absolutely no one on his bench (or starting unit) that can slow down Jordan as none of them were defenders. Jordan and Kawhi plan to play pick and roll a lot to exploit both Alvin and Peja. Peja on Jordan is a nightmare waiting to happen for Team Jon.

Kawhi Leonard will be taking advantage of Peja guarding him by sprinting in transition, blowing by him in a half-court set, passing to the open man if anyone on Team Jon tries to help Peja on defense, shoot the open 3, etcÖ In the Jordan pick and roll, Alvin will have to guard 6í7 Kawhi. When Peja and another teammate double Jordan in the pick and roll, Kawhi will have the option of taking Alvin down in the post.

Wes Unseld was MVP and Finals MVP because of all the intangibles he brought to his team. With the extreme efficiency, athleticism, and agility that Team RR has, Unseld will use his rebounding advantage to do his historic outlet passing to Hersey/Jordan/Kawhi. Along with rebounding, passing, and defense, another thing Unseld was known for were his bone crushing picks. He was built like a brick wall. His already short PG/SG will be battered and abused trying to keep up Hersey/Jordan. While Team RR isnít relying on Unseld for major points, Unseld averaged 21.36 points against Kareem in his 3-year prime. Iím not sure who Team Jon plans to put on Unseld though, it likely wonít matter.

Tyson Chandler lead the league in TS% for 3 years in a row during his 3 year peak (.692 TS%). Having 3 elite shooters on the starting unit will allow Tyson to excel like he did in real life, offensive rebounds and put backs, and alley-hoop slams from Team RRís elite passers. He was very long and agile for 7í1 which would demand Kareem to get back on transition otherwise give up 2 easy points. Along with being a hyper efficient big man, he has a rare skillset of hitting his free throws.

Defense:

Jordan (DPOY) will be on Stockton. While Stockton barely averaged 17 points per game in his 3 year peak, Team RR acknowledges he was a great play-maker. By putting Jordan on Stockton, we have a bigger, stronger, faster, and longer defender to cut the head off of Team Jon's floor general. Stockton wonít receive a break either, when Conley, Micheal Ray, or Kawhi take over on defense. We plan to give him multiple looks so he doesnít adapt.

In 17 head-to-head games, Hersey Hawkins limited Robertson to 13.4 points per game. Robertson was a pedestrian 3 point shooter, 26.1% in 3 year peak, and even worse when Hawkins was guarding him, shooting 20.8%. He wonít be providing Team Jon much help scoring.

Kawhi Leonard (2x DPOY) will be covering Peja. Kawhi is the most ideal player in NBA history to cover Peja. Stockton only has one 3 point sniper to pass it to and it isnít a good scenario when you have Kawhi on him. Peja isnít fast or strong enough to get a one-up on Kawhi offensively.

Wes Unseld is an extremely underrated defender. They didnít have DBPM back when he was in his prime, but out-of-prime Unseld lead the league in DBPM 2x years in a row (not the biggest fan of defensive advanced stats but this confirms what every sports expert has said about his defense). He will be primarily on Oakley who wasnít an offensive force whatsoever. Once again, another Team Jon player who wonít contribute much offensively.

I decided to bench Dan ďfreakingĒ Roundfield because I respect Kareem and needed someone who was just as tall and long as Kareem to defend him. Enter DPOY, Tyson Chandler. I know Kareem will get his points, but Tyson is a fantastic Center to defend Kareem. He has the strength and speed to keep up with him and challenge his shots. In addition, Kareem would have been running a track meet all game, trying to keep up with Team RRís fast pace tempo. I also plan to use Unseld and Dan ďfreakingĒ Roundfield on Kareem when Tyson rests. Roundfield guarded the opposing teams best Forward or Center, and in 17 games, limited Kareem to only 23.4 points per game, which is far below his average.

Bench:

I don't think it's close at all. Team RR has 2-way players to come in and maintain offensive and defensive pressure. By moving DPOY Tyson Chandler to the starting unit, Dan Roundfield becomes the super 6th man.

As mentioned previously, no one on Team Jon's bench can assist Alvin (who couldn't even do it himself) in slowing Michael Jordan down. It's a bad matchup for them. He also only has Aguirre off the bench to come in for scoring, but if he takes Peja out, Stockton won't have anyone to pass it to for a kick out 3 pointer, and if he takes Alvin out, he loses his only wing defender not 6'1 that has to now cover Jordan.

Conclusion:

Team Jonís advantage at C isnít enough offense to beat Team RR. With as great and gifted of a passer John Stockton was, he simply only has 1 player to pass to in hopes for some points. Jordan on Stockton, Kawhi on the only person Stockton can pass it to for a 3 pointer, Alvin only scoring 13 points against Hawkins, Oakley being a non-threat offensively, and Tyson (DPOY), Roundfield (5x All Defense), and Unseld on Kareem is excruciatingly debilitating for Team Jon. This is compounded by the increase tempo Team RR plans to run which would have an even greater necessity on offensive for Team Jon.
lol yes it is. His wings are just terrible.

dhopisthename
07-03-2017, 11:14 AM
I can't believe these 2 teams made it so far. Both so flawed. I never liked Jon's team because I think their scoring would be awful. KAJ and Peja is basically the #2 in an ATRD? Oakley AND Robertson starting? I'll take the PSD wet dream team, and predict they lose in the finals to whoever wins the other matchup.

me neither. I was in disbelief that I beat psk's team, but then lost to jon's team.

Dunkapolooza
07-03-2017, 03:57 PM

Agreed. I don't like either of these teams all that much. Jon's team, sorry dude, is terrible. Peja as a #2 scorer is not good. Alvin Robertson and Oakley are essentially non-scorers on top of that. Terrible efficiency and low volume. Oakley's box minus is 0.1 on offense lol. And his defense is 1.4 during his peak. The only time Alvin scored more than 17.7 points a game was when his team went 31-51. His second highest scoring season was 17.7 and he won 28 games. His third best year offensively 17.3, they won 21 games. That's where his offense gets you. Every shot those two take is a win for the defense. And Stockton is a reluctant scorer who averaged 17 in his peak. 17! That's terrible for a #3 scorer. Thee worst third scorer in the whole league, I don't care what his efficiency is. He's not the kind of player that took over a lot of games with his scoring.

And Peja is the number 2 scorer at 20.7 points per game for his 3 year peak? That's awful too.

Oscar Robinson and Kareem played together for five years and won just one ring. Stockton and Kareem ain't **** in a league like this. They need help. Kareem with Adrian Dantley (better scorer than Peja), Norm Nixon, Jamaal Wilkes, Charlie Scott, and Lou Hudson won 45 games and got bounced in the first round.

Jordan and Leonard is better than Kareem and Stockton. And Jordan and Leonard have an MVP next to them plus Hersey Hawkins who is basically just as good a scorer as Peja. That being said, RR, has almost no back to the basket game and a terrible bench.

So I feel like both these teams only got this far because of their two best players. Which is sad.

GREATNESS ONE
07-03-2017, 04:05 PM
me neither. I was in disbelief that I beat psk's team, but then lost to jon's team.

Probably from everyone D**k riding Shaq and Kareem.

Capnwalnuts42
07-03-2017, 08:10 PM
There are no winners in this matchup, just losers...

Ebbs
07-03-2017, 08:41 PM
:facepalm:

KnicksorBust
07-03-2017, 08:54 PM
:laugh: so much crying. This is what happens when people underestimate the value of MJ and Kareem. You know, the two greatest basketball players in NBA History.

Redrum187
07-03-2017, 08:55 PM
It's more so underestimating the power of Dan "freaking" Roundfield and his 5x All Defense teams.

jon32
07-03-2017, 09:19 PM
I like how im the higher seed in each round that was voted by the members of the ATRD....prob with the help of at least one of the guys upset here.
If this is such a big that its been a point of complaint for certain guys then by all means take my place and ill forfit lol
I tend to overrate my own teams sometimes to guys 😉

Shammyguy3
07-03-2017, 09:26 PM
I like how im the higher seed in each round that was voted by the members of the ATRD....prob with the help of at least one of the guys upset here.
If this is such a big that its been a point of complaint for certain guys then by all means take my place and ill forfit lol
I tend to overrate my own teams sometimes to guys 😉
You good bud

KnicksorBust
07-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Score?

valade16
07-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Score?

10-4 RR leading

Redrum187
07-03-2017, 10:15 PM
10-4 RR leading

11-4, G1 can't vote on the app.

KnicksorBust
07-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Maybe Jon will debate his way back... :laugh: its done. I actually agree it would have been more fun with dhops team. Can't wait to see RR against either team in the Finals.

Lakers + Giants
07-04-2017, 05:37 AM
While I ranked Jons team first in my playoff rankings, I can't sit here and vote for a team trying to get a free pass to the finals without posting anything in any of the matchups. Im sorry but that **** just rubbed me the wrong way. I apologize to anyone I voted against in Jons prior matchups. Glad the team actually defending itself is the one on top.

I'm not even good at debating either but at least I try to defend my team. This just seems like a way to play the "i got a life" card in hopes of getting a free win. Sooooooooft.

Ebbs
07-04-2017, 11:11 AM
I had Jon as a top 3 team, I had RR's MJ team bottom 3. The level of brainwashing due to MJ's name is disturbing.

GREATNESS ONE
07-04-2017, 11:35 AM
:laugh2: awww c'mon don't be mad Ebbs

Ebbs
07-04-2017, 11:53 AM
**** man, I'm not even mad. I'm just being consistent. I thought that Jordan team was atrocious.

Shammyguy3
07-04-2017, 12:45 PM
I had Jon 1st, Redrum 6th

Lakers + Giants
07-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Jon 1st and RR 5th for me

Redrum187
07-04-2017, 01:36 PM
**** man, I'm not even mad. I'm just being consistent. I thought that Jordan team was atrocious.

It would be fruitful to express why your opinion is what it is. Instead, you've just said everyone is wrong and dumb because the Jordan team is "atrocious" as if it somehow counters any points I've made in the write up.

Cool, you have an opinion... so do all the other people who didn't vote for you in our matchup... it's just a different view and you gave them absolutely nothing but salty tears to make them think twice about it.

Jets012
07-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Jon's team is the best. He got robbed.

Lakers + Giants
07-05-2017, 12:14 AM

It's in no way a robbery when you refuse to defend your own team.

Sadds The Gr8
07-05-2017, 04:28 AM

no way

Raps18-19 Champ
07-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Was John's team rated #1?

That looks like middle of the pack to me based on the matchups I've seen, though in all fairness I'm not the smartest guy around.

valade16
07-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Team RR wins