PDA

View Full Version : Kings offer Otto Porter 4 yr 106 million max deal

spreadeagle
07-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Wow

The Sacramento Kings have offered Otto Porter a four-year, $106 million max contract.

The Washington Wizards have match rights since Porter is a restricted free agent.

Porter has been negotiating with the Wizards on a five-year deal.

If Porter signs an offer sheet with a rival team, it would be for five percent raises instead of eight. The deal could allow him to return to the open market after three years.

Porter will continue to take meetings with other teams.

KB24PG16
07-02-2017, 06:32 PM
lets see if dc is actually willing to match any deal now

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-02-2017, 06:33 PM
That's a lot.

Dade County
07-02-2017, 06:34 PM
I just posted this in the offseason thread.

Some may disagree, but this is not how you build a team, a team that can win it all.

These teams and owners just can't think Max Max Max, evaluate the talent and pay the person accordingly, let other people over pay for non-star talent.

LOb0
07-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Damn they have to match this too.

More-Than-Most
07-02-2017, 06:35 PM
they almost have to match really... once that contract for wall kicks in they wont be able to upgrade right?

aman_13
07-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Haha if only Gms in the NHL were like this.

Green_Monster
07-02-2017, 06:46 PM
He just turned 24 and has improved every year. He's a good player and will keep getting better. It's a lot of money but I think they'll match.

GodsSon
07-02-2017, 06:47 PM
lol

lose-lose for the Wiz

lakerfan85
07-02-2017, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't match that.. These GM's are ****ing idiots!

TheDish87
07-02-2017, 07:04 PM
i dont think the wiz match. i like this for the kings though, they have no major money tied up and porter can be the 3rd best player on a contender. Fox/Heild/Porter/Giles/WCS has some nice potential

lakerfan85
07-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Contender?

daleja424
07-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Just absurd. The way these lowly teams offer max contracts to RFAs that aren't even that good...

That is an absolutely awful contract for Otto Friggin Porter.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-02-2017, 07:28 PM
Just absurd. The way these lowly teams offer max contracts to RFAs that aren't even that good...

That is an absolutely awful contract for Otto Friggin Porter.

Same reason the Heat will be paying Tyler Johnson in excess of 19 mill for the next two years.

daleja424
07-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Same reason the Heat will be paying Tyler Johnson in excess of 19 mill for the next two years.

Yup. Brooklyn came in with a poison pill offer that should be illegal. How were they eve able to structure that deal as 6/6/19/19? End of the day the way that deal was structured actually has put HEAT in position to create that max slot this summer to even go after Hayward....but that is besides the point.

Wade n Fade
07-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Mozgov, Turner, Deng, Parsons, Noah, and others received awful deals cap wise. The difference between Barnes and Porter Jr is sizable enough where Dallas took a bold risk while Sacramento is being immensely incompetent.

nysportsfan23
07-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Perception: Otto porter isn't worth the contract.
Reality?:https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/otto-porter-jr/

nysportsfan23
07-02-2017, 07:46 PM
If I was running the Knicks I'd strongly consider giving 4 for 106. Perfect fit, 24, fits timeline.

nysportsfan23
07-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Could be an outlier on the 538 analysis, this other one seems kind of high as well: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/marcus-smart/

daleja424
07-02-2017, 07:49 PM

Except that anyone who has watched him play knows he is not THE GUY on a good team. That isn't his role. He is an excellent young player...but not a superstar.

and look at the player comps... could be James Worthy could be Marvin Williams/Josh Childress...

nysportsfan23
07-02-2017, 07:50 PM
This on the hand seems low: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/courtney-lee/
And then there's the gem from last years FA: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/joakim-noah/

j-bay
07-02-2017, 07:51 PM
I would let go of Porter IF you can get Cousins the next year. You take an off year, you start grooming Kelly, and you dump Gortat next offseason to get

Cousins
Morris
Kelly
Beal
Wall

mightybosstone
07-02-2017, 07:57 PM
I like Porter, but the guy averaged 13 and 6 last season. That's absurd money. I could have understand something like 3 years, $60 million. Even that seems insanely high, but a short-term, high cost deal I could have bought. But 4 years at $26 million-$27 million per is insane.

eDush
07-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Except that anyone who has watched him play knows he is not THE GUY on a good team. That isn't his role. He is an excellent young player...but not a superstar.

and look at the player comps... could be James Worthy could be Marvin Williams/Josh Childress...Duh really?!? No one said he was a superstar otherwise he be getting supermax contracts like my Steph :nod:

eDush
07-02-2017, 09:04 PM
I like Porter, but the guy averaged 13 and 6 last season. That's absurd money. I could have understand something like 3 years, $60 million. Even that seems insanely high, but a short-term, high cost deal I could have bought. But 4 years at $26 million-$27 million per is insane.Considering what he does for the Wiz and what other players are getting, it's not unreasonable and the Wiz still might match which they said they would unless it's some ruse that would only benefit the player no matter where he plays :nod:

daleja424
07-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Duh really?!? No one said he was a superstar otherwise he be getting supermax contracts like my Steph :nod:

He is literally getting the absolute max contract offer that a player of his age can get. The SAME deal that Steoh or any other player would be eligible for at the same point in their career. There is no Supermax for players with his level of experience. He is getting the absolute max... which is absurd.

LOb0
07-02-2017, 09:13 PM
He is literally getting the absolute max contract offer that a player of his age can get. The SAME deal that Steoh or any other player would be eligible for at the same point in their career. There is no Supermax for players with his level of experience. He is getting the absolute max... which is absurd.

Brah, Allen Crabbe got 75 million last year. I'm not surprised Porter is getting this money.

KG2TB
07-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Porter is young, athletic, and very efficient. Still hasn't peaked yet. The cap is ballooning and teams, especially desperate teams like the Kings, take these types of risks for players with such upside.

LA_Raiders
07-02-2017, 11:53 PM
They have to match it, if they want to keep competing in the Easy, they already lost all major FAs this year.

zn23
07-03-2017, 12:02 AM
lol, The Wiz are sweatin right now. Not that Porter deserves the deal, but he's clearly a big piece for that team and they're already thin as it is. Losing Porter would hurt them. Now they're finally forced to pay luxury tax if they choose to match the offer.

rhino17
07-03-2017, 12:11 AM
If the Kings are gonna continue to be this stupid and horribly run, they should be reassigned to the eastern conference

More-Than-Most
07-03-2017, 12:50 AM
whats amazing is... people argued with me and war when we said cov would get 18 plus mill... porter about to get 10 million more than that per lol... and he isnt as good.... porter is a better shooter while cov is a worlds better defender

More-Than-Most
07-03-2017, 12:52 AM
If the Kings are gonna continue to be this stupid and horribly run, they should be reassigned to the eastern conference

the best part is the kings are about to dodge a bullet because the wiz have to match... Oh boy is the wizards pissed right now.

Scoots
07-03-2017, 01:26 AM
There is nothing to match until Otto signs the offer. He's holding out to help the Wizards with flexibility which is nice but he could screw himself if they don't come close enough but he waits long enough for the Kings to rescind the offer.

GoferKing_
07-03-2017, 03:43 AM
Please, Wizards match this horrible contract.

chitownredbulls
07-03-2017, 04:37 AM
Why? So ****ing stupid....i think they're perfectly run right now...

da ThRONe
07-03-2017, 07:12 AM
If I was running the Knicks I'd strongly consider giving 4 for 106. Perfect fit, 24, fits timeline.

S&T for Melo.

TheDish87
07-03-2017, 08:46 AM
i really dont get how people are hating on this for the Kings.

da ThRONe
07-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Because Porter isn't worth that amount. Especially as 4th bananas with the Wizards. He's shown almost no ability to create for himself let alone others.

TheDish87
07-03-2017, 09:38 AM
he has steadily improved every season and plays both ways. He also would be a very nice fit with their current roster, no one is arguing its not an overpay but thats how it goes. The Kings have arguably been the worst franchise in the league for some time now and they finally seem to be on the right track. Even at a max this doesnt hinder them from other moves or extending their own guys.

WaDe03
07-03-2017, 09:57 AM
We live in a world where Otto Porter is getting maxed out. Lmao!

mightybosstone
07-03-2017, 10:09 AM
I actually really hope the Wizards don't match this. Right now they're one of the few competitive teams in the East, and they have a deadly offensive back court. I want to see that team thrive, and that's not going to happen if they completely kill their cap flexibility on Porter.

eDush
07-03-2017, 10:17 AM
I actually really hope the Wizards don't match this. Right now they're one of the few competitive teams in the East, and they have a deadly offensive back court. I want to see that team thrive, and that's not going to happen if they completely kill their cap flexibility on Porter.I hope they do cause he is a hidden gem they haven't need yet. I like his game a lot and he a better team with him on the floor :nod:

cmellofan15
07-03-2017, 10:17 AM
WOW OMG if Sacramento gets him the East is totally donezo and another big name player just leaving the East and going West. Silver needs to do something about this!!!

eDush
07-03-2017, 10:20 AM
WOW OMG if Sacramento gets him the East is totally donezo and another big name player just leaving the East and going West. Silver needs to do something about this!!!Otto is not a big name player just because he is offered the max unless 1/3rd of the league are made up of big name players from ur point of view :nod:

AllBall
07-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Wizards should not match this.

da ThRONe
07-03-2017, 10:47 AM
I hope they do cause he is a hidden gem they haven't need yet. I like his game a lot and he a better team with him on the floor :nod:

Haven't needed him? The reason the Wizards lost to Boston is because the C's could hide Thomas on defense and let him guard Porter.

da ThRONe
07-03-2017, 10:55 AM

Because Porter isn't worth that amount. Especially as 4th bananas with the Wizards. He's shown almost no ability to create for himself let alone others.

Just looked at the Kings roster this makes a lot sense for them. They should be able to give Porter a chance to be more than a spot up shooter (a la Harrison Barnes with the Mavs)and they have the available cap space plus they aren't trying to compete.

eDush
07-03-2017, 11:20 AM
I hope they do cause he is a hidden gem they haven't need yet. I like his game a lot and he a better team with him on the floor :nod:

Haven't needed him? The reason the Wizards lost to Boston is because the C's could hide Thomas on defense and let him guard Porter.Lol if the Wiz need their 3 spot to score to win games, then you have bigger issues than I had thought which you probably know better then me since that is ur team right? My Dubs had the best records in the league with Barnes who barely scores and we never needed him when my Splash Bros are in the game but I guess Wall and Beal need another scorer to win even if both are playing and not hurt...
:shrug:

TheDish87
07-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Just looked at the Kings roster this makes a lot sense for them. They should be able to give Porter a chance to be more than a spot up shooter (a la Harrison Barnes with the Mavs)and they have the available cap space plus they aren't trying to compete.

exactly my point. i feel like Porter would give them a starting unit who fits together almost perfectly on paper and all under 25.

j-bay
07-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Otto is not a big name player just because he is offered the max unless 1/3rd of the league are made up of big name players from ur point of view :nod:

This is the problem though. To the people who are saying "This is too much" How many people watch Wizards basketball. Not just the playoffs. If you don't, you need to stay out of this convo. Looking at ESPNs stat page doesn't count as having knowledge.

JLynn943
07-03-2017, 12:32 PM
As a Kings fan, I'm okay with either way this plays out. We've been meeting with a lot of players that we shouldn't bother with because we aren't on the verge of a championship, but Porter is at least young and promising. I don't think he's worth a max, but I haven't seen that much of him, so maybe he is to us. We're a very young team with potential at just about every position. Small forward is our biggest hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cmellofan15
07-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Otto is not a big name player just because he is offered the max unless 1/3rd of the league are made up of big name players from ur point of view :nod:

You must have missed the sarcasm there...

Jamiecballer
07-03-2017, 03:00 PM
this is amazing to think about, really. after his rookie season some people questioned if Otto Porter would even get a second nba contract. now he's being stoled for 100 million dollars.

Scoots
07-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Just a friendly reminder ... you don't have to respond to every stupid or trolling post other users make :)

Scoots
07-03-2017, 03:46 PM
I like Porter and the Wizards can't just let him walk, he's a really good complementary piece. He hasn't signed the offer from the Kings so he's clearly willing to work with the Wizards to help their flexibility. He's being the good guy here, and it's not his fault so many players are over-paid.

eDush
07-03-2017, 04:55 PM
I like Porter and the Wizards can't just let him walk, he's a really good complementary piece. He hasn't signed the offer from the Kings so he's clearly willing to work with the Wizards to help their flexibility. He's being the good guy here, and it's not his fault so many players are over-paid.I agree and the Wiz will regret not retaining him. He will only get better and would make a very good trade piece if that time ever comes imo :nod:

hugepatsfan
07-03-2017, 05:06 PM
At first glance I say bad deal for Wiz to match... but we just saw Oladipo get traded for PG and he was the same type of situation. These young guys on overpaid deals are very movable. No harm in matching if you're WAS. Especially since the Wall extension will put them over the cap where all acquisitions need to be trades. Worst case scenario, Porter is a deal to match salaries.

eDush
07-03-2017, 05:11 PM
At first glance I say bad deal for Wiz to match... but we just saw Oladipo get traded for PG and he was the same type of situation. These young guys on overpaid deals are very movable. No harm in matching if you're WAS. Especially since the Wall extension will put them over the cap where all acquisitions need to be trades. Worst case scenario, Porter is a deal to match salaries.If they don't sign Otto now, they won't be able to sign anyone as good once Wall sign his supermax contract so timing is everything. Any smart GM would sign him without 2nd guessing if winning matters. That's why GS resign Iggy without hesitation :nod:

R. Johnson#3
07-03-2017, 05:35 PM
This reminds me of when Hayward got his max deal a few years back. A relatively unproven player getting big bucks thrown at him. I think Porter will end up with similar results to Hayward.

TheDish87
07-03-2017, 05:53 PM
If they don't sign Otto now, they won't be able to sign anyone as good once Wall sign his supermax contract so timing is everything. Any smart GM would sign him without 2nd guessing if winning matters. That's why GS resign Iggy without hesitation :nod:

wall cant get a supermax. if im Wash im passing and gearing up for Cousins next year instead. they can find a stop gap to replace Porter for a year

da ThRONe
07-03-2017, 05:58 PM
This reminds me of when Hayward got his max deal a few years back. A relatively unproven player getting big bucks thrown at him. I think Porter will end up with similar results to Hayward.

His game is no where near Hayward's.

eDush
07-03-2017, 06:53 PM
If they don't sign Otto now, they won't be able to sign anyone as good once Wall sign his supermax contract so timing is everything. Any smart GM would sign him without 2nd guessing if winning matters. That's why GS resign Iggy without hesitation :nod:

wall cant get a supermax. if im Wash im passing and gearing up for Cousins next year instead. they can find a stop gap to replace Porter for a yearLol now I know ur :crazy: besides being confused with clear cut titled threads.

I have Boogie barely better than D12 and have stated SacTown won that trade while both ChiTown and Indy lost their trades big time cause they are giving up real superstars. Boogie is just a wannabe like D12 :nod:

papipapsmanny
07-03-2017, 08:49 PM
To Porter's credit.... not many players in the league were more efficient than him

beasted86
07-04-2017, 11:29 AM
whats amazing is... people argued with me and war when we said cov would get 18 plus mill... porter about to get 10 million more than that per lol... and he isnt as good.... porter is a better shooter while cov is a worlds better defender

Robert Covington is a basic 3D player with no offensive skill set. Where is your comparison grounded? Sounds like you only came into this thread to poke your chest out about nonsense. Sit down, be humble.

Porter is horrifically flawed as a go to guy. He's good and cuts and line drives and has come some ways as a consistent shooter, but he'll be paid a good chunk more than Harrison Barnes, only to be less efficient and productive. He's going to be overpaid by at least $8M a season even accounting for slight future improvement and usage inflation of stats.

beasted86
07-04-2017, 11:38 AM

If you're looking at raw stats, I'm sure Porter might look like Hayward in a season or two playing on a garbage team as the go to guy. But his efficiency will likely take a huge dive with no real PG to get him the ball.

Fox might be a good PG down the line, but that team will struggle and will be paying Porter $27M to average 17/7 next year. Bet.

TheDish87
07-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Lol now I know ur :crazy: besides being confused with clear cut titled threads.

I have Boogie barely better than D12 and have stated SacTown won that trade while both ChiTown and Indy lost their trades big time cause they are giving up real superstars. Boogie is just a wannabe like D12 :nod:

do you ever make sense?

AllBall
07-04-2017, 01:45 PM
With Z-Bo deal this offer sheet may not be happening

Celticsfan2007
07-04-2017, 01:53 PM
How much do the kings have left after these signings?

I wonder what this means for Porter?

valade16
07-04-2017, 02:29 PM
If they had been able to also offer Porter they would have been building a solid playoff core.

Hill/Fox - Hield - Porter - ZBo - MCW

eDush
07-04-2017, 03:42 PM
If they had been able to also offer Porter they would have been building a solid playoff core.

Hill/Fox - Hield - Porter - ZBo - MCWThey don't have enough room anymore but I think the Wiz will give him what he's asking as it makes the most sense :nod:

I would take Porter over Zbo all day long....

aman_13
07-04-2017, 09:58 PM
He signed with Nets.

WaDe03
07-04-2017, 10:32 PM
This is a major problem in the league today.

He's the 5th best player on a championship team AT BEST and he's taking up over 25% of the cap.

da ThRONe
07-04-2017, 10:36 PM

He's the 5th best player on a championship team AT BEST and he's taking up over 25% of the cap.

It's only a problem because the wrong teams are doing it. No way Wizards should match this. Honestly this no longer even make sense for the Kings after signing Hill and Randolph. I have no idea what it is these Gm's are doing.

WaDe03
07-04-2017, 10:56 PM
It's only a problem because the wrong teams are doing it. No way Wizards should match this. Honestly this no longer even make sense for the Kings after signing Hill and Randolph. I have no idea what it is these Gm's are doing.

Apparently Wizards are going to match. I would say **** it and let him walk and go hard after boogie this next offseason. Give Oubre a year as the starter to develop so he'll be ready

Wall
Beal
Oubre
Morris?
Cousins

I bet Oubre ends up being better than Porter sooner rather than later.

Dade County
07-05-2017, 09:04 AM

Just Crazy.

Why do they feel they most offer the max.

And another thing that bothers me...
A agent/player that tells his team, i want full 5yr max or i'm leaving. But other teams can only offer 4yrs; so the player/agent only wants to be their if i outbid everyone; so if i offer him a 4yr contract it's treated as disrespectful???

That player can kiss my ***!

Vinylman
07-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Washington didn't offer him a max... that is why he went out and got one SO THEY WOULD HAVE TO MATCH...

this stuff is going to slow down next year when the cap increase slows...

don't forget there was a theoretical additional $150 million a season available this year 30x5 million

warfelg
07-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Washington didn't offer him a max... that is why he went out and got one SO THEY WOULD HAVE TO MATCH...

This is the brilliance of RFA for the team holding rights. With the way the CBA is now, the max a RFA could get offered outside his current team is less than if the team holding the rights were to offer a max.

So now a days it's smart to let your RFA go out and get offers. Saves you some money.

Vinylman
07-05-2017, 09:46 AM
This is the brilliance of RFA for the team holding rights. With the way the CBA is now, the max a RFA could get offered outside his current team is less than if the team holding the rights were to offer a max.

So now a days it's smart to let your RFA go out and get offers. Saves you some money.

and unless the guy is some generational talent there is zero incentive to extend them before RFA unless they take a discount.

GM's have adjusted since last year though... the offers are much shorter for bigger name guys... a lot of 3 year deals... next year they will get more judicious with the $$$'s as the increase will be minimal to non-existent.

warfelg
07-05-2017, 09:54 AM
and unless the guy is some generational talent there is zero incentive to extend them before RFA unless they take a discount.

GM's have adjusted since last year though... the offers are much shorter for bigger name guys... a lot of 3 year deals... next year they will get more judicious with the $$$'s as the increase will be minimal to non-existent.

Agreed with all of it.

Like if I'm Bryan Colangelo, I go to Embiid right now and offer him an under market deal for the full length we can offer. If he passes, inform him we want him here no matter what, but we will let the market set his price and match it. Make sure it's known that there is not interest in letting him go at all, that we just think it's best to set his prove this way so he can see if he's really worth the max.

eDush
07-05-2017, 09:57 AM

He's the 5th best player on a championship team AT BEST and he's taking up over 25% of the cap.He's the Wiz 3rd best player and if on the Dubs, would be better than Barnes last season with us by a country mile who also ended up with a max in the open market. It's the nature of the beast when you have a multi billion dollar league :nod:

Vinylman
07-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Agreed with all of it.

Like if I'm Bryan Colangelo, I go to Embiid right now and offer him an under market deal for the full length we can offer. If he passes, inform him we want him here no matter what, but we will let the market set his price and match it. Make sure it's known that there is not interest in letting him go at all, that we just think it's best to set his prove this way so he can see if he's really worth the max.

of course you offer embiid that with a player option after a couple of years so he can opt out... that gives him the security he needs now and gets you a lower cap hit to sign FA's

For the league though the sooner the nets lock in someone the easier RFA is going to be for other GM's

I don't blame the nets at this point for setting the market but they truly are the definition of useful idiots when it comes to players needing a quick bid