PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Lowry back to Toronto

KB24PG16
07-02-2017, 05:16 PM
via players tribune: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/kyle-lowry-free-agency-decision/

Thats what it comes down to its right there in the title.

When I had to make my free-agency decision, there was a lot going through my head, a lot of roads my mind was traveling down. Family, first and foremost, and whats going to make them happy, and give them the best life. Basketball, of course, and where Id like to play for these next several years. And then there was also the gut-check aspect just what I was feeling in my heart.

But for me, at the end of the day, this was an easy decision. And all of those roads they all led me back to the same place: home.

They all led me back to Toronto.

When I got here, five years ago, there was a lot of rebuilding talk. A lot of, Man, this roster, I dont know the Raptors gotta blow it up. These experts, I think they wanted us to trade this, waive that, tank this, draft that. That was most of the talk surrounding our franchise. And I was definitely one of the names being included in that talk.

And that was tough because I think a lot of us here we knew that, with the right level of commitment, this could be a special place. We knew we had some special pieces here, from the top down: From an ownership group that wanted to win to an emerging young backcourt in myself and DeMar to some of the best basketball fans in the world, that not a lot of people even knew about.

And I just think about that sometimes: How all of those people were telling us to blow this up, all of those years ago but we stuck together. We took a look around at the group that we had, and we said, you know, as a team, as a franchise, as a city we can make this into a contender, into a place where hoops really matters, if we just see it through. And thats when the Raptors decided to believe in me.

And weve been seeing it through, and believing in each other, ever since.
So I kind of see this summer, then, as its almost like coming full circle. We ended our season this past year with some disappointment. And thats a couple of years, now, where as exciting as its been around here I dont think weve reached our true potential. And youd hear the whispers, you know, those same experts that were telling us to blow this up in 2013, there they are again with that same talk in 2017.

But the difference between then and now, and what Im thankful for, is that this time the ball was much more in my court. I was a free agent. Which meant that it was up to me to decide whether this thing we have is it worth sticking around for, and running it back again, and seeing if we can take that next step?

And like I said to me, that was an easy decision.

The answer is yes.

When I told my sons that we were staying in T.O., their reaction, man O.K., Im going to be honest: My youngest, hes too young to care. But my oldest when I saw Karters reaction, thats how I knew for sure this was right. I could tell right away, just from the look on his face. I could tell that if wed left for him, it wouldnt have just been about moving, you know, from any one place to another. It would have been a lot tougher than that. It would have been about truly leaving leaving his friends, leaving his school, leaving this city that hes grown attached to. We would have been leaving a place that is really just you know, its part of our family now. Wed have been leaving home.

(And yeah, just so you know, my guys second reaction was, Alright, Dad now we gotta get a bigger house! Well see about that one.)

Anyway, thats really all I wanted to say for right now. I just wanted yall to be the first ones to hear it, and to hear it directly from me.

Im coming back to Toronto because my heart is telling me that its home and because staying home, for me and my family, feels like the right thing to do. My heart is telling me that this is the best city in the world, with the best basketball fans in the world. Its telling me that the Raptors can be a championship-level team, sooner than later. And Ill be honest (and dont hate) its telling me that Ive still never had poutine.

But most of all: Its telling me that, if youre looking for people to believe in choose the people who believed in you first.

And if you start something?

Man, you finish it.

KB24PG16
07-02-2017, 05:28 PM

warfelg
07-02-2017, 05:29 PM
lol.....

Toxeryll
3 yrs/$100 million

:puke:

Raps18-19 Champ
Now we just need to sign Kevin Durant and we are set.

aman_13
07-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Shorter term and he end up getting more annually.

bucketss
07-02-2017, 05:40 PM
save it kyle, we all know why you came back.

33m a year :puke:

JAZZNC
07-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Well at least its only 3yrs. And somebody will be dumb enough to pay him after that so I feel like he was kinda smart in only signing for 3yrs. May not decline enough to not get another "big" contract.

aman_13
07-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Yeah this won't hurt the Raps. I'd like to think he will be productive for the next 2 yrs and then if we see a drop off in yr 3, at least he's expiring.

LA_Raiders
07-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Wow, way overpaid. I thought the Clips were going to get him.

Eagles4Lyfe
07-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Masai Ujiri further proving his incompetence again.

So we have a 3 window he's giving this core because Demar, Lowry, Ibaka expire at same time, so if he's committing then he has to go balls deep, but he won't and can't because he's ****.

aman_13
07-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Masai Ujiri further proving his incompetence again.

So we have a 3 window he's giving this core because Demar, Lowry, Ibaka expire at same time, so if he's committing then he has to go balls deep, but he won't and can't because he's ****.

But it's better than going 4 or 5 if it ends up being a disaster.

Let's see what he does. Talks of sign and trades.

KnicksorBust
07-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Great signing. 3rd best team in the East. Two hot series away from a title. Love it.

Dade County
07-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Did they get any other free agents to upgrade their team...?

If not, maybe they thinking Lbj is heading out West next season.

For the record I don't believe that Lbj is ever going to play in the West. If the banana boat crew get together it will be on a team in the East.

kobe4thewinbang
07-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Three years so Toronto showing some sense, but showing less still by signing back an undersized and injury-prone chucker to 33 million a year.

KnicksorBust
07-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Did they get any other free agents to upgrade their team...?

If not, maybe they thinking Lbj is heading out West next season.

For the record I don't believe that Lbj is ever going to play in the West. If the banana boat crew get together it will be on a team in the East.

The whole East downgraded and sometimes just bringing back your core is an upgrade. In the last 10 years see Memphis, OKC, Indiana, Portland, Utah, etc.

Sly Guy
07-02-2017, 06:16 PM
I'm ok with it. It's a high dollar figure per season, but he's got 3 years left in him, and he comes off the books same time as ibaka and a year before dero, making a full rebuild possible at that time. But it does mean we're a middling team for the next couple of seasons with no real cap space to play with. Unless we can buy out caroll, or find a diamond in the rough somewhere.

Casual fans will be happy with the delusion of being a decent team, the seats will still be filled and the knowledgeable fans still get the chance at a proper rebuild after the Lebron era in the east ends.

aman_13
07-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Three years so Toronto showing some sense, but showing less still by signing back an injury-prone chucker.

Far from a chucker but won't argue his playoff numbers.

kobe4thewinbang
07-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Far from a chucker but won't argue his playoff numbers.Pretty sure I've seen him shoot over people with some iffy shot selection behind the line...only they go in and he's a hero. Dude needs to defer to DeRozan already.

kobe4thewinbang
07-02-2017, 06:19 PM
I'm ok with it. It's a high dollar figure per season, but he's got 3 years left in him, and he comes off the books same time as ibaka and a year before dero, making a full rebuild possible at that time. But it does mean we're a middling team for the next couple of seasons with no real cap space to play with. Unless we can buy out caroll, or find a diamond in the rough somewhere.

Casual fans will be happy with the delusion of being a decent team, the seats will still be filled and the knowledgeable fans still get the chance at a proper rebuild after the Lebron era in the east ends.Paul Pierce? What's up!

aman_13
07-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Pretty sure I've seen him shoot over people with some iffy shot selection behind the line...only they go in and he's a hero. Dude needs to defer to DeRozan already.

Well he's one of the most effecient guards in the game and despite what some think, still the best player on the team.

GREATNESS ONE
07-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Much love to his family and son. He got paid, should live happily in Toronto way pass his career.

kobe4thewinbang
07-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Well he's one of the most effecient guards in the game and despite what some think, still the best player on the team.Still gets hurt when it matters or underperforms. I guess his presence will sell tickets but it's clear the front office ain't looking to win-win.

aman_13
07-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Still gets hurt when it matters or underperforms. I guess his presence will sell tickets but it's clear the front office ain't looking to win-win.

That's fair. Let's see what happens.

DanG
07-02-2017, 06:37 PM
he's an underwhelming playoff performer, way overpaid.

bucketss
07-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Toronto is shopping cojo and val to shed salary. what teams would be interested?

kobe4thewinbang
07-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Also crazy that Jrue Holiday only got $126 million over 5 years to Lowry's $100 million over 3. Jrue gets incentives that could raise it to $150 million but still crazy to me.

aman_13
07-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Also crazy that Jrue Holiday only got $126 million over 5 years to Lowry's $100 million over 3. Jrue gets incentives that could raise it to $150 million but still crazy to me.

Lowry's age was probably a factor.

R. Johnson#3
07-02-2017, 07:07 PM
No problem with this deal.

mike_noodles
07-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Pretty sure I've seen him shoot over people with some iffy shot selection behind the line...only they go in and he's a hero. Dude needs to defer to DeRozan already.

You have not watched any games have you?

SiteWolf
07-02-2017, 07:55 PM
well, now we know why Butler's plea for Lowry in MN didn't happen

still don't see where all this money is coming from (and don't say the TV deal, where do THEY think the money will come from)

FlashBolt
07-03-2017, 10:45 AM
$33 million. Higher paid than LeBron. Man, this league is so weird...

Ahriman
07-03-2017, 10:54 AM
The 3-year term makes it acceptable, but they're stuck being a 1st / 2nd playoff round exit barring injuries to opponents. Their weird drafting this past couple of seasons didn't help build up the bench.

WaDe03
07-03-2017, 11:03 AM
He didn't really have a choice. Everyone else already made moves for PGs.

Scoots
07-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Need to trade DeRozan for mostly picks and start Powell.

lol, please
07-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Great move, imo. Keep Lowry/DeRozan and build around them. Raptors are on the cusp, have been for a few seasons now.

Jamiecballer
07-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Need to trade DeRozan for mostly picks and start Powell.
I like and support this idea

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

SportsFanatic10
07-04-2017, 03:58 AM
Three years so Toronto showing some sense, but showing less still by signing back an undersized and injury-prone chucker to 33 million a year.

Getting him for anything less then the 5 year max makes plenty of sense. What choice do they really have after giving DeRozan the contract they gave him last year. That put them all in on this team. They don't have cap space so might as well keep their core allowing them to go over the cap to retain their guys. Unless the plan is a full rebuild but it isn't. That can be debated since they'll never beat the Cavs as is. But this is still their best shot at doing so anytime soon.

warfelg
07-04-2017, 08:11 AM
I think what's really interesting about this is almost all of Toronto's deals right now line up to give themselves a 3 year window to break through. Will be interesting to see what happens in 3 years if they don't.

But this feels like a Clippers situation. A team good enough that they should have broken through a bit more than they have, but they aren't bad enough to give up on them.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Toronto is shopping cojo and val to shed salary. what teams would be interested?

How about for expiring Moose?

R. Johnson#3
07-04-2017, 03:01 PM
I think what's really interesting about this is almost all of Toronto's deals right now line up to give themselves a 3 year window to break through. Will be interesting to see what happens in 3 years if they don't.

But this feels like a Clippers situation. A team good enough that they should have broken through a bit more than they have, but they aren't bad enough to give up on them.

The tank will most definitely roll in. With that being said, you have to expect Masai to make a monster move asap now that he's committed big money to 3 players. It's time to go all in.

Hustla23
07-04-2017, 03:28 PM
The tank will most definitely roll in. With that being said, you have to expect Masai to make a monster move asap now that he's committed big money to 3 players. It's time to go all in.

Sounds great in theory. What moves are there to be made?

warfelg
07-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Aren't they trying to stay out of the tax too?

aman_13
07-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Aren't they trying to stay out of the tax too?

They will be a tax team this year. What they want to do is cut some salary to get below the apron. Being above it restricts them from maximizing their resources. For example, right now they are not allowed to use the full MLE, or complete a sign and trade.

bucketss
07-04-2017, 04:18 PM
How about for expiring Moose?

bucks scare me i don't want to make them better.

JWorthy42
07-04-2017, 05:14 PM
Three year deal sounds alright, no big deal. Lowry stays on a competitive team and the Raptors have the chance to use up whatever Lowry has left in the tank.

eDush
07-04-2017, 06:57 PM
well, now we know why Butler's plea for Lowry in MN didn't happen

still don't see where all this money is coming from (and don't say the TV deal, where do THEY think the money will come from)Lowry like Toronto and his teammates, can't blame him :nod: