PDA

View Full Version : Better coach: Stevens or Snyder?

mrblisterdundee
07-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Utah and Boston are both promising young teams with excellent young coaches. Gordon Hayward will probably thrive with either. He's got the collegiate relationship with Brad Stevens, and has grown up in the NBA playing for Quin Snyder. Hayward's thoughts on the coaches has to be a significant part of his decision.
Considering the talent they have to work with, who's been better: Stevens or Snyder?

Aust
07-01-2017, 08:34 PM
Utah doesn't look like a young team to me. Snyder is 50, is that considered young? Stevens is 40, young would be a fair statement.

mrblisterdundee
07-01-2017, 08:39 PM
I'm going with Quin. He's made the most out of a bunch of spare parts and two young stars. They might have got swept, but Utah still kept it closer with the Warriors than Boston did with the Cavaliers, despite a bigger talent differential. Now he has Rubio to work with.

mrblisterdundee
07-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Utah doesn't look like a young team to me. Snyder is 50, is that considered young? Stevens is 40, young would be a fair statement.

I would say 50 is somewhat young. That means he easily has at another 20 years, if he keeps himself healthy. I also meant in their careers experience too. Stevens has one more year as a head coach, but Snyder has four more as an assistant.

Edit: As for Utah, they're fairly young besides Joe Johnson and Boris Diaw. Ingles was one of the oldest rookies in the league, so he kind of skews things.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-01-2017, 08:57 PM
I'm going with Quin. He's made the most out of a bunch of spare parts and two young stars. They might have got swept, but Utah still kept it closer with the Warriors than Boston did with the Cavaliers, despite a bigger talent differential. Now he has Rubio to work with.

uhhh, did I miss the game that the Jazz won against the Warriors?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-01-2017, 08:59 PM
I would say 50 is somewhat young. That means he easily has at another 20 years, if he keeps himself healthy. I also meant in their careers experience too. Stevens has one more year as a head coach, but Snyder has four more as an assistant.

Snyder's been in the game since the 90's and was Duke's top assistant coach for a few years then too. He's definitely a veteran coach.

mrblisterdundee
07-01-2017, 09:08 PM
uhhh, did I miss the game that the Jazz won against the Warriors?

Uh, did I miss the game where the Warriors blew the Jazz out by 44 points? Oh wait; that was in Boston.
The Warriors were a significantly better team than the Cavaliers and would have murdered the Celtics with ease. That said, the Jazz got beat an average of 15 points per game by the Warriors. The Celtics got beat an average of 20 points per game by the Cavaliers.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Uh, did I miss the game where the Warriors blew the Jazz out by 44 points? Oh wait; that was in Boston.
The Warriors were a significantly better team than the Cavaliers and would have murdered the Celtics with ease. That said, the Jazz got beat an average of 15 points per game by the Warriors. The Celtics got beat an average of 20 points per game by the Cavaliers.

And the Celtics actually won a game in their series, on the road without their best player (who missed 3.5 games in the series) no less. The Celtics also made it to the Eastern Conference Finals, while the Jazz didn't make it to the Western Conference Finals.

mrblisterdundee
07-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Snyder's been in the game since the 90's and was Duke's top assistant coach for a few years then too. He's definitely a veteran coach.

He's got more experience at a lower level and is 10 years older, but he's still early in his career as a head coach at the professional level. That to me makes him comparable with Stevens.

mrblisterdundee
07-01-2017, 09:21 PM
And the Celtics actually won a game in their series, on the road without their best player (who missed 3.5 games in the series) no less. The Celtics also made it to the Eastern Conference Finals, while the Jazz didn't make it to the Western Conference Finals.

And I repeat: The Celtics didn't have to play the Warriors. Even the Clippers were better than any team the Celtics faced before the eastern conference finals.

Edit: He's no Thomas, but it's also worth mentioning that Hill only played one game of the Golden State series. I wonder how much he would have helped on Curry.

Mr. Baller
07-02-2017, 07:50 AM
Spoelstra

corky831
07-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Celtics beat the Jazz respectively by 8 and 11 points last yr. They're a better team than the Jazz.

Super.
07-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Spoelstra
11-30.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Lil Rhody
07-02-2017, 04:12 PM
I truly believe that without Stevens the Celtics would of missed the playoffs two years ago and would of been 4th this year. He is the reason why it was impossible to fully rebuild because he coaches that well.

daleja424
07-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Spo. Really the best young coach in the NBA.

As far as actually being on topic... Stevens is the sexier name but Snyder has done good work. I'd lean towards Stevens probably personally...