PDA

View Full Version : Nene re-signs with Houston for 4 years, $15 million

mightybosstone
06-30-2017, 11:56 PM
I realize this isn't sexy compared to all the other big names being thrown out there, but I'm ecstatic that the Rockets locked him up before he hit free agency, where he could have made a ton of money. The fact that Morey did this without touching the MLE or BAE is a testament to how well the guy has worked around the salary cap so far this offseason.

brandt
07-01-2017, 12:06 AM
Good move

TrueFan420
07-01-2017, 12:10 AM
No doubt he was great for you but 4 years? He's already 34 going on 35 right. I know bigs age differently and he's an extremely smart player but 38s prob 1-2 years too many. Plus with international play he's got a lot of miles on the body.

mightybosstone
07-01-2017, 12:15 AM
No doubt he was great for you but 4 years? He's already 34 going on 35 right. I know bigs age differently and he's an extremely smart player but 38s prob 1-2 years too many. Plus with international play he's got a lot of miles on the body.

My guess is that this was his way of getting more money, but less money per year. He'll probably only play 2-3 years of this contract. But having that extra year or year and a half on the books is worth it to add one of the best backup bigs in the league for so little.

brandt
07-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Agreed. 4 years is too long but someone else would have signed him if the Rockets didn't, and they need him as he played great for them.

hugepatsfan
07-01-2017, 12:16 AM

I think they knowingly overpaid in years. He would get the MLE from someone for 2-3 years for about this total, maybe a little more. By going the 4th year they got to lock him up with early bird rights and save their MLE for other players. So they willingly went the extra years to preserve that flexibility.

TrueFan420
07-01-2017, 12:25 AM
I think they knowingly overpaid in years. He would get the MLE from someone for 2-3 years for about this total, maybe a little more. By going the 4th year they got to lock him up with early bird rights and save their MLE for other players. So they willingly went the extra years to preserve that flexibility.

I get it. More years let's them pay him less cause he gets security. Just still think it's at least a year too long. And if they can snag Melo top vets will flock for cheap deals.

TrueFan420
07-01-2017, 12:29 AM
My guess is that this was his way of getting more money, but less money per year. He'll probably only play 2-3 years of this contract. But having that extra year or year and a half on the books is worth it to add one of the best backup bigs in the league for so little.
I get the deal and if they have a handshake retire in 2 years and you get paid for 3 & 4 without being on our cap it's even better. He's a very good player and will continue to age well. Just not sure it's worth the gamble age wise. Though I still had hopes you'd move for Melo and think this deal means that's a no go.

mightybosstone
07-01-2017, 12:32 AM
I get the deal and if they have a handshake retire in 2 years and you get paid for 3 & 4 without being on our cap it's even better. He's a very good player and will continue to age well. Just not sure it's worth the gamble age wise. Though I still had hopes you'd move for Melo and think this deal means that's a no go.

Why would this deal mean it's a no go? If anything, locking down Nene long-term would only help attract Melo as they played together for years and were relatively close in Denver.

WaDe03
07-01-2017, 12:38 AM
Solid move, he was very good in the playoffs pre-injury.

Saddletramp
07-01-2017, 02:28 AM
Great move. The extra years just means Morey didn't touch that BAE and MLE.

Redrum187
07-01-2017, 03:22 AM
That's a nice economical deal if he can sustain his current level of play.

nastynice
07-01-2017, 04:05 AM
Nice, I'd a loved for gs to pick him up at that price

Scoots
07-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Solid move, he was very good in the playoffs pre-injury.

That injury thing is a key. Good deal for the Rockets though, at the moment the Rockets have VERY little size, they NEED Nene.

kjthunderman
07-01-2017, 09:31 AM
I think this is a good deal for Rockets. Harden and Nene work well together. and Cp3 should work well with Nene to.

Just don't think CP3 and Harden will work well haha

PurpleLynch
07-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Good deal for Houston.

TrueFan420
07-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Why would this deal mean it's a no go? If anything, locking down Nene long-term would only help attract Melo as they played together for years and were relatively close in Denver.

I don't know it was kinda just a gut a feeling nothing to substantiate it. I hope your right. If you land Melo without giving up Ariza you guys would have a great balanced 5 in CP3, Harden, Ariza, Melo and Capella. Though much of that will be selling Melo on transitioning to a 4.

dhopisthename
07-01-2017, 12:28 PM
looks like this deal if off or on hold for now because the rockets can't offer 4 years because it extends past his 38th birthday.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-01-2017, 12:46 PM
They'll probably just offer him more money at the 3 year deal to make it work.

mightybosstone
07-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Ugh... This is so frustrating. So apparently because free agents can't officially sign deals until July 7 under the new CBA, the 38-year-old rule in the new CBA completely killed the deal. So Morey can probably offer Nene the money he wants, but he'll have to eat into his MLE to do so. I hate this, but Nene is a key part of the rotation, and if he has to use the bulk of the MLE on Nene, then that's what he needs to do.

hugepatsfan
07-01-2017, 01:08 PM
They'll probably just offer him more money at the 3 year deal to make it work.

They can't offer him more money and still use the early bird rights. They'll have to go into the MLE for that or maybe the Bi-Annual if he'll tale some less. They can land him but it hurts flexibility.

Scoots
07-01-2017, 01:43 PM
3 years 10.9 is the result of the 38 year rule.

LA4life24/8
07-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Seriously can someone please explain this rule to me? I dont get it at all.. wtf? Soo because someone is gonna be older they cant sign him to a multi year deal? The dumbest chit ive ever heard

eDush
07-01-2017, 02:17 PM
If Nene was still on the Wiz now, they would be scary in the paint :nod:

xxplayerxx23
07-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Just don't see a way to match salaries
Unless it's Ariza +Anderson

rhino17
07-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Just don't see a way to match salaries
Unless it's Ariza +Anderson

Anderson + fillers works just fine

Ariza will not be traded

brandt
07-01-2017, 02:33 PM
That sucks. The Nene deal got scratched!

TheDish87
07-01-2017, 03:05 PM
15 per year or total? thread title is confusing

brandt
07-01-2017, 03:15 PM

15 total but it doesn't matter because the deal got voided, due to the age rule. They couldn't offer 4 years so now they offered 10 mil for 3 years. He hasn't accepted yet though.

Saddletramp
07-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Can someone explain what this rule is? Sounds like ageism.

mightybosstone
07-01-2017, 04:32 PM

In what way is it confusing? I write headlines for a living, and there's nothing remotely ambiguous about that headline.

Scoots
07-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Can someone explain what this rule is? Sounds like ageism.

I assume it's to protect teams against stupidity.

Scoots
07-01-2017, 05:38 PM
In what way is it confusing? I write headlines for a living, and there's nothing remotely ambiguous about that headline.

Have any favorites of yours?

One of my favorites about politicians getting into a fight "They're enacting like little children"

brandt
07-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Seriously can someone please explain this rule to me? I dont get it at all.. wtf? Soo because someone is gonna be older they cant sign him to a multi year deal? The dumbest chit ive ever heard

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19783234/rockets-pull-back-4-year-deal-nene-age-rule

LA4life24/8
07-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Thanks but that doesn't explain it at all, just says due to said age rule..

Sounds like a dumbass rule to me.. basically a team cant play an old player for a multi year deal? Sounds odd and ridiculous to me

Cracka2HI!
07-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Man this is ridiculous. I think this rule should be for bigger contracts. To not allow a guy like Nene to stay where he wants is not what this rule was put in for. Also, how did they not know the rule lol.

brandt
07-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Thanks but that doesn't explain it at all, just says due to said age rule..

Sounds like a dumbass rule to me.. basically a team cant play an old player for a multi year deal? Sounds odd and ridiculous to me
It actually does explain it, you need to scroll down farther.

Saddletramp
07-01-2017, 06:49 PM
It actually does explain it, you need to scroll down farther.

Scrolling down didn't help. A quick google search and I found this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/nba-cba-changed-over-36-rule-lebron-james-200-million-contract-2016-12

Yeah, it's what I thought. Can't give guys huge money on a four or five year deal when it goes into their 38th birthday. But Nene's wasn't $100 million or more, which is why the rule was put into place.

Basically, Nené got screwed.

LA4life24/8
07-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Yeap sounds pretty dumb to me. Esp since the majority of the contract happens before hes 38... i can almost understand after someones 38 you cant but even still... 4 yrs 15 mill total aint chit in terms of nba salary thats a joke

mightybosstone
07-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Have any favorites of yours?

One of my favorites about politicians getting into a fight "They're enacting like little children"

lol. That's solid. I'm a managing editor, but the publication I work for is pretty much strictly hard news, so I don't do a ton of punny stuff. But I try to come up with some for features whenever I get a chance. I usually go for alliteration before I go for puns.

mightybosstone
07-02-2017, 10:24 AM
On the age thing, I completely agree that this rule is screwing Nene and the Rockets, and this can't be the intention of the rule. I can understand implementing something that prevents teams from backloading contracts for veterans who will undoubtedly be well past their prime at the end of the deal. I get that. But this was a totally reasonable contract to a quality veteran with only slight increases from year to year. The next CBA negotiations, they need to take a seriously hard look at this rule, because it's completely bogus and it could potentially screw over Nene, Houston or both.

However, I'm trying to stay optimistic. There's a chance Morey could use most of his non-guaranteed deals to sign Tucker rather than the rest of the MLE. If that's the case, he might still be able to get Nene his money. And even if that doesn't work out, I think there's a chance Nene calms down and comes back on the 3-year deal.

dhopisthename
07-02-2017, 12:41 PM
The rule if I remember correct is so that teams don't give contracts to people who are just going to retire in a year or two and thus allow them to offer 4 years for a guy who is going to retire in 2. they then allow that player to get the total of a 2 year contract in 4 years which allows the team that signed him to have a lower cap hit(which is what the Rockets might be doing here). I can't remember if retired players count against the cap or not. if they don't then this rule is justified in a case like this. If the contract doesn't still count when they are retired then it's just dumb and just a measure to prevent stupid owners from making stupid mistakes.

Scoots
07-02-2017, 01:12 PM
lol. That's solid. I'm a managing editor, but the publication I work for is pretty much strictly hard news, so I don't do a ton of punny stuff. But I try to come up with some for features whenever I get a chance. I usually go for alliteration before I go for puns.

Puns are the height of comedy. I worked at a major paper for a few years ... we had one editor fired because he was using the first letter of paragraphs for hidden messages.

Writers often hate headline writers ... but never more than when the headline is better than the piece :)

TrueFan420
07-02-2017, 04:05 PM
The rule if I remember correct is so that teams don't give contracts to people who are just going to retire in a year or two and thus allow them to offer 4 years for a guy who is going to retire in 2. they then allow that player to get the total of a 2 year contract in 4 years which allows the team that signed him to have a lower cap hit(which is what the Rockets might be doing here). I can't remember if retired players count against the cap or not. if they don't then this rule is justified in a case like this. If the contract doesn't still count when they are retired then it's just dumb and just a measure to prevent stupid owners from making stupid mistakes.

That's exactly why they did it. Retired players don't count against the cap. Teams could in theory offer multi year deals then have a handshake that they retire to free up the cap but still pay them.

I guess one way to fix this would be if players retire they don't get paid out for the life of their contract. Or the contract continues to count against the cap. Or it's counts as being terminated and then make rules about re-entry. And having to wait x amount of years. So players don't just retire and unretire to get better deals

mightybosstone
07-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Phew.... Woj is reporting that Nene is going to sign for 3 years, $11 million and is going to take the non-Bird rights contract. Thank goodness. I was really sweating this one. This also frees up a ton of flexibility for Morey and the Rockets to use the MLE on Tucker and still have all of those non-guaranteed contracts to trade for another quality veteran to add to the rotation.

But in the meantime, I'm loving this 8-man rotation:
PG: Chris Paul / Eric Gordon
SG: James Harden / Eric Gordon
SF: Trevor Ariza / PJ Tucker
PF: Ryan Anderson / PJ Tucker
C: Clint Capela / Nene

eDush
07-02-2017, 09:08 PM

In what way is it confusing? I write headlines for a living, and there's nothing remotely ambiguous about that headline.I agree with you as it wasn't confusing to me as no one puts how much they make per year or would even assume that unless otherwise stated or they are dumb perhaps.
:shrug: