PDA

View Full Version : Time to fire Doc?

JasonJohnHorn
06-28-2017, 07:47 PM
So CP3's major reasons for leaving seems to be that Doc favoured his son over the team, which fans have been saying for a couple of years now.

NY apparently offers to send Melo ad Sasha to LAC for Crawford, PP and Austin, and Doc nixed this deal to keep his son (and perhaps PP): https://twitter.com/michaeleaves/status/880129062366326784.

I'm not a huge fan of Melo, but it is clear that the Clippers needed another scorer, especially is Blake is going to be injured in the playoffs each year.

In addition, Doc seems to treat his son differently: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=473082

Seems like the Clippers had a window here, and Doc has fawking blown it. I don't even think I'd give him a job in this league again.

Hustla23
06-28-2017, 08:12 PM
The Clippers traded a first round pick for Doc. :laugh:

Still can't wrap my mind around that.

kobe4thewinbang
06-28-2017, 08:26 PM
I totally agree if that rumor is true, mostly for the trickle-down effect. Say that trade goes through, they acquire Anthony, but Griffin still gets hurt. Still maybe Paul agrees to stay, hoping the trio is healthy next season. Crawford and Rivers hurts kind of, but I didn't watch the actual games so dunno how productive they were, but Carmelo likely produces more in that scenario.

The fact that its a father/son issue is the controversial aspect and that is a can of worms now. With Jerry West in town, I can safely say Doc will get a talking to about his son and the best interest of the team and how if it's going to be a problem, they'll have to make Doc simply the coach or let him go.

I'd say it's more likely that they let Rivers go to start fresh, seeing as they just lost their best player.

Peeps around here say building around Blake is a good idea...only if the dude stayed on the court and actually showed up when he is healthy.

Scoots
06-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Doc was never a very good coach or GM ... but he won so he got respect.

lakerfan85
06-28-2017, 11:41 PM
One of the most overrated coaches of all time..

JasonJohnHorn
06-28-2017, 11:45 PM
Doc was never a very good coach or GM ... but he won so he got respect.

He is obviously at the very least a decent coach, and I would say far above average. But a good or even great coach does not make for a great GM. Just ask New York fans.

And any team that had to suffer through having Don Nelson as a coach and GM.

That said, even as a coach he had his limits. He did good work in Orlando when they were rebuilding, but he lost that team once they got into the playoffs. In Boston, he was lucky on two fronts: he had Thibs as an assistant (one of the best defensive coaches) and had three guys (KG, PP, and Allen) on the court who didn't need to be coached and in fact coaches and motivated their teammates themselves. And once they changed the culture, they got guys like Rondo to do the same.

In LAC, Doc came in strong, but once Austin came around and the new ownership gave him too much power, that was the down fall.

A coach has enough to worry about and enough to do. Let the GM worry about the trades and salary cap rules. They can get input from the coach, but don't make them the same guy.

nastynice
06-28-2017, 11:48 PM

Holy crap. Clippers shoulda GOTTEN a first rounder for taking doc, lol

Raps18-19 Champ
06-28-2017, 11:54 PM
Doc's a guy a ton of stars respect. That's the only thing separating him from other coaches who are basically between a good assistant and a bad head coach..

KG2TB
06-29-2017, 12:08 AM
One of the most overrated coaches of all time..

Correct. He's a players coach who won with a super team but never did anything before or since then. He's a good coach but he's not elite.

nastynice
06-29-2017, 12:16 AM
Maybe a decent coach, I don't know, he's DEFINITELY a bad gm tho, right? I can't imagine that's up for debate. That's where the clip ****ed up

Saddletramp
06-29-2017, 03:13 AM
When I heard about that deal of PP's ghost, Crawford and Baby Boy Rivers that got canceled because of Doc, I laughed. Because of that and now Paul leaving, Doc's gotta go.

More-Than-Most
06-29-2017, 03:33 AM
He is the most overrated in the business and a bad ****ing coach.

GoferKing_
06-29-2017, 03:40 AM
Every one knows that Garnett coached and had the biggest impact during his Boston years, and not Doc.

zn23
06-29-2017, 03:42 AM
Giving his son, who is beyond awful, that contract should have been a fireable offense.

More-Than-Most
06-29-2017, 04:11 AM
Giving his son, who is beyond awful, that contract should have been a fireable offense.

with a gun.

Scoots
06-29-2017, 08:51 AM
He is obviously at the very least a decent coach, and I would say far above average. But a good or even great coach does not make for a great GM. Just ask New York fans.

That said, even as a coach he had his limits. He did good work in Orlando when they were rebuilding, but he lost that team once they got into the playoffs. In Boston, he was lucky on two fronts: he had Thibs as an assistant (one of the best defensive coaches) and had three guys (KG, PP, and Allen) on the court who didn't need to be coached and in fact coaches and motivated their teammates themselves. And once they changed the culture, they got guys like Rondo to do the same.

In LAC, Doc came in strong, but once Austin came around and the new ownership gave him too much power, that was the down fall.

A coach has enough to worry about and enough to do. Let the GM worry about the trades and salary cap rules. They can get input from the coach, but don't make them the same guy.

Doc's best skill has been hiring good assistant coaches and letting them coach. A valuable skill sure ... but not a measure of his coaching skill.

da ThRONe
06-29-2017, 08:54 AM
He has to go as far as the personnell decision making goes. As far as the coach I think if Blake comes back and his ok with Doc in that role you keep him. If Griffin leaves or dislikes Doc you get rid of him altogether.

kobe4thewinbang
06-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Do y'all think Blake Griffin is worth keeping?

Rumor has it he is now their #1 priority after the Chris Paul trade, which I think is a big mistake. The dude is injured all the time, has no clutch gene, and just isn't what he used to be. All season, the media trashed him for his poor play and effort and begged the Clippers to trade him for Paul George or Carmelo Anthony. The only other team I've seen interested is the Clippers or the Thunder.

Would you give him another deal after he hasn't really played up to the last one?

You already got DeAndre just rebounding and still not being useful on offense in the post. Griffin has a move or two down low, but probability says he's going to be injured again and this time Chris Paul won't be around.

I think they should fire Doc and let Griffin go or make a S&T deal. He's not a wise investment.

Hawkeye15
06-29-2017, 09:31 AM
yes, he should have been canned last summer.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2017, 02:46 PM
Every one knows that Garnett coached and had the biggest impact during his Boston years, and not Doc.

He did a good job of managing Ray's ego/personality and did as well as you can hope for with Rondo. Those guys were tough to deal with during the Boston years.

KB24PG16
06-29-2017, 03:55 PM
the time has already passed to fire doc, its irrelevant now if he's fired or not. he set the franchise back a few years, for their sake hopefully west can work some magic when they have cap space.

also not convinced that ballmer was the right guy to buy the clippers

Raidaz4Life
06-29-2017, 04:46 PM
I've been saying for years Doc is insanely overrated as a coach and GM. They should have fired him forever ago when he was failing to make it out of the 2nd round with the team he had. Now the Clippers are a disaster and have virtually no direction.

ewing
06-29-2017, 07:31 PM

And most of this board thought the clippers were a lock bc of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cracka2HI!
06-29-2017, 10:04 PM
^ Right!

I'm actually curious to see what he can do with a competent GM errrrrrr adviser running the team. I like the idea of Jerry gathering a bunch of picks and young talent and Doc being forced to play and develop young players. I can see him being fired if Blake leaves and there is truth to these nepotism rumors. I think they are pretty overblown though. Like, I don't think Chris Paul hates or despises Doc Rivers like the reports say. Nor do I think The Knicks actually offered Melo for Jamal and Austin. If he did indeed turn that down he should be fired. Weren't the rumors actually that the Knicks wanted a 3rd team to take Jamal and The Clippers made the offer?

Chronz
06-29-2017, 10:07 PM
CP3 and Doc have ruined this franchise. CP3 cuz he made us hire Doc and Doc cuz hes Doc. Great coach I dunno what you guys are talking about but his impact is limited with his GM role. It will happen to every coach/gm watch.

Chronz
06-29-2017, 10:13 PM
Do y'all think Blake Griffin is worth keeping?

Rumor has it he is now their #1 priority after the Chris Paul trade, which I think is a big mistake. The dude is injured all the time, has no clutch gene, and just isn't what he used to be. All season, the media trashed him for his poor play and effort and begged the Clippers to trade him for Paul George or Carmelo Anthony. The only other team I've seen interested is the Clippers or the Thunder.

Would you give him another deal after he hasn't really played up to the last one?

You already got DeAndre just rebounding and still not being useful on offense in the post. Griffin has a move or two down low, but probability says he's going to be injured again and this time Chris Paul won't be around.

I think they should fire Doc and let Griffin go or make a S&T deal. He's not a wise investment.
I dont predict injuries that well but I would definitely take the risk, I dont buy your simplistic assessment of his talent. That said, you trade him at the deadline if you're not in the playoffs I think.

Chronz
06-29-2017, 10:16 PM
Damn, I wonder if this trade has anything to do with why they havent called yet to renew my half season tix. Im gonna try so hard to not laugh at their attempt, man I think Im losing it. Its just now hitting me what we lost, fans just dont know how special it was to watch CP3 in person man, dude straight up dissects defenses in ways I will prolly never see again. In terms of his decision making, it was an absolute pleasure to watch, IDC what Laker casuals tell me, CP3 was smarter than Magic/Kobe/Shaq/KAJ. Just not as talented or on as talented teams.

Cracka2HI!
06-29-2017, 10:19 PM
CP3 and Doc have ruined this franchise. CP3 cuz he made us hire Doc and Doc cuz hes Doc. Great coach I dunno what you guys are talking about but his impact is limited with his GM role. It will happen to every coach/gm watch.

Not to mention without the CP3 trade there is no need to trade Baron Davis and the 1st overall pick.

mightybosstone
06-29-2017, 11:21 PM
Doc is a competent coach, but he has also epitomized why you probably shouldn't have a coach/GM on a professional sports franchise unless the person is an absolute brilliant sports mind, like Bill Belichick. He's done a terrible job building around his core trio, he made a huge, wildly selfish decision in overpaying his son and then doubled down on that selfish decision by not trading his son to improve a team that desperately needed a change.

Doc absolutely should be fired, and I'm surprised they've taken this long to make that decision. Jerry West needs to clean house and build up from scratch. A team constructed around the core of Griffin and Jordan will be good enough to struggle to crack the lower playoff seeds in the West, but they're not going to do much better than that.

Laker Legend42
06-30-2017, 12:27 AM
Doc rivers is a "good" coach at best. People forget he was rumored to be fired after the '07 season and if Boston would have ended up with a top 2 lottery pick that year ( Durant or oden) he would have. They kept him because of all the vets they brought in. They win one ring together and suddenly doc is one of the greatest coaches ever. The most memorable thing he's done in la is cover the lakers banners with gigantic selfies.

aman_13
06-30-2017, 12:33 AM
They should fire him as a GM. He's a good coach.

Scoots
06-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Doc is good at recruiting and at getting his guys up for games, but it wears tired fairly quickly. It feels like Doc doesn't get guys to come back with a home town discount, while Pop is abrasive and difficult outward but gets discounts all over the place despite being there forever now. Some coaches are "good" only for a short time and I think Doc is one of those.

eDush
06-30-2017, 10:02 AM

Doc's best skill has been hiring good assistant coaches and letting them coach.So you're knocking Jackson again but this time not mentioning his name with that comment based on ur many past comments about him on this subject and it's wrong...
:mad:

FlashBolt
06-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Doc is the happiest with CP3 leaving. Now he has a legitimate reason to start Austin at PG for 40 minutes, have him averaging inflated stats at 20/5/8, get a near max contract, and then boom... he's just there to get his son paid.. if his son gets paid, Doc doesn't care if they win. That contract made no sense for a player of Austin's caliber at that time. It made zero sense.

eDush
06-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Doc is good at recruiting and at getting his guys up for games, but it wears tired fairly quickly. It feels like Doc doesn't get guys to come back with a home town discount, while Pop is abrasive and difficult outward but gets discounts all over the place despite being there forever now. Some coaches are "good" only for a short time and I think Doc is one of those.That was nothing to do with anything. It's about favoritism in not treating everyone equally when on the job whether that person is a family member or not. Is it really about winning with CP3 or is it about being fair? Neither seem to apply when it comes to this team as it's not a about money anymore. It never was. D'Antoni treats player fairly and it's about winning as a team. He doesn't play games nor want to be involved in any rebuilding project like Doc who even said has has no problems rebuilding again since he's probably satisfied already winning a championship even though it's with another team...
:laugh:

Vinylman
06-30-2017, 10:56 AM
I dont predict injuries that well but I would definitely take the risk, I dont buy your simplistic assessment of his talent. That said, you trade him at the deadline if you're not in the playoffs I think.

yep... you sign him so you can trade him later... there are plenty of useful idiot GM's in the league who will pay a fortune for him (I am looking at you Vlade)