PDA

View Full Version : (Monstars vs. STG Elite) TIE - 24 HOUR EXTENSION!

valade16
06-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Every year Posters from PSD come together and do a secret auction of all players throughout NBA history attempting to make the best team and win the PSD All-Time Auction Championship! The teams have been seeded and are now in the playoffs. Please look over the teams and vote based on which team you think would win in a 7 game playoff series.

UPDATE: The poll ended in a tie. Please vote by posting who you want to vote for (disregard if you have already voted, you may only vote once).

Monstars have the higher seed and will have home court advantage in the series.

Monstars:

PG: Chauncy Billups [36] / JoJo White [9] / Hal Greer [3]
SG: Sidney Moncrief [32] / Hal Greer [10] / Chauncy Billups [2]
SF: Larry Bird [34] / Connie Hawkins [10] / Sidney Moncreif [4]
PF: Elvin Hayes [30] / Larry Bird [6] / Tommy Heinsohn [6]
C: Ben Wallace [29] / Andrew Bynum [16] / Elvin Hayes [3]

vs.

STG Elite:

PG: Gary Payton / Kemba Walker
SG: Sam Jones / Tony Allen
SF: Dominique Wilkins / Tayshaun Prince
PF: Dirk Nowitzki / Al Horford
C: Robert Parish / Theo Ratliff

GREATNESS ONE
06-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Monstars

KnicksorBust
06-28-2017, 07:18 PM
I am happy STG elite got the win in the last round but they have no one to guard Bird. I love Monstars here.

GREATNESS ONE
06-28-2017, 09:42 PM
I am happy STG elite got the win in the last round but they have no one to guard Bird. I love Monstars here.

I'm happy you're happy STG got the win the last round.

GREATNESS ONE
06-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Also Tayshaun can guard Bird.

Super.
06-28-2017, 10:15 PM
Also Tayshaun can guard Bird.

Thats a downright lie and we both know it

Raps18-19 Champ
06-28-2017, 10:26 PM

**** STG for winning last round. #TS.

GREATNESS ONE
06-28-2017, 10:42 PM
Thats a downright lie and we both know it

04 Tayshaun can help stop Bird, he was a ton of trouble for a young 04 Kobe. Though wasn't mentally focused completely, Tayshaun's Length, agility and defensive awareness made him one of the best premier wing defenders in the league.

GREATNESS ONE
06-28-2017, 10:43 PM
**** STG for winning last round. #TS.

:laugh2: stop trolling Homie.

Super.
06-28-2017, 10:56 PM
04 Tayshaun can help stop Bird, he was a ton of trouble for a young 04 Kobe. Though wasn't mentally focused completely, Tayshaun's Length, agility and defensive awareness made him one of the best premier wing defenders in the league.

Because a young 04 Kobe is remotely on prime Bird level

Raps18-19 Champ
06-28-2017, 10:57 PM
:laugh2: stop trolling Homie.

I voted for you last round to show my loyalty, even against a Raptors fan. How am I trolling?

GREATNESS ONE
06-28-2017, 11:10 PM
Because a young 04 Kobe is remotely on prime Bird level

I would say a notch or two below. I mean we are talking about Prime both ways right? Anyways, I'm still leaning towards Monstars so.....

GREATNESS ONE
06-28-2017, 11:12 PM
I voted for you last round to show my loyalty, even against a Raptors fan. How am I trolling?

#TS much love Loco. We're good brotha.

Sadds The Gr8
06-29-2017, 12:14 AM

Bird might go off but I have Nique who can give back like 80-85% like they did when they matched up. I think I'm more explosive at more positions. Is the rest of his lineup that effective offensively? Billups and Moncrief are solid scorers but not really fearsome at all. Big Ben is a negative on offense in an ATRD. Hayes is a run-of-the-mill volume scorer from the 60s/70s. Other than Bird, I don't think they're all that explosive. I feel like we can outscore them withe the balanced 5 that we have, and not having a complete 0 on offense is a key advantage for me.

We have 2 very explosive scorers at the forward spots, and Payton is very good offensively as well. Jones and Parish fill in very well as the role players. The only really fearsome offensive player on their whole team is Bird.

Redrum187
06-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Bird might go off but I have Nique who can give back like 80-85% like they did when they matched up. I think I'm more explosive at more positions. Is the rest of his lineup that effective offensively? Billups and Moncrief are solid scorers but not really fearsome at all. Big Ben is a negative on offense in an ATRD. Hayes is a run-of-the-mill volume scorer from the 60s/70s. Other than Bird, I don't think they're all that explosive. I feel like we can outscore them withe the balanced 5 that we have, and not having a complete 0 on offense is a key advantage for me.

We have 2 very explosive scorers at the forward spots, and Payton is very good offensively as well. Jones and Parish fill in very well as the role players. The only really fearsome offensive player on their whole team is Bird.

I think his player provide enough scoring around Bird, however, I do agree that you have way more scoring options and are more lethal. I'm leaning STG but will wait for debates.

valade16
06-29-2017, 12:26 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Larry+Bird&player_id1_select=Larry+Bird&player_id1=birdla01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Dominique+Wilkins&player_id2_select=Dominique+Wilkins&player_id2=wilkido01&idx=players

For what it's worth, Bird and Nique's PPG vs each other are identical both regular season and playoffs. What stood out to me was how many bad shooting games in the playoffs both Bird and Nique had vs each other. I think if they both have a bad game it actually hurts Monstars way more since Elite still has Dirk, Parish and GP to score whereas Monstars suddenly need Moncrief and Hayes to carry the load.

To start I was heavily leaning Monstars and now I'm not so sure. I'll wait for some more debate.

Sadds The Gr8
06-29-2017, 01:50 AM
Monstars are respected because they fit like the "typical team". They have the lead scorer, then a bunch of defenders/role players behind that star. This is an ATRD tho, and my team just has more star power, and that's more of what these games are about. Payton/Nique/Dirk is too explosive of a combo for them to slow down. If Bird has a terrible shooting game, who steps up? We have 3 guys capable of carrying a heavy load. Is Moncrief really a viable #2 option in an ATRD? There are 3 top 40 all time players in my lineup, plus 2 clutch legends that played on the most popular dynasties in NBA history.

If Prince is a laughable option on Bird then Hayes is a laughable option on Dirk...

NYKalltheway
06-29-2017, 04:49 AM
Bird vs Nique :drool:

Bird wins again, though.

Lucky.
06-29-2017, 09:22 AM
My two favorite teams.

I think going in, I was slightly leaning Monstars. They have players I love and they fit terrifically together. But Valade brought up a great point. Although I think the scorers around Bird are plenty good enough, are they if Bird has an off game? And it's not like Nique won't get his as well.

Someone like Ben Wallace is a huge asset to have in these games when going up against one of the elite centers that is by far and away the best player, and scorer, on the other team. But when he's going to be guarding the 4th/5th option, he's pretty underwhelming to have in my opinion. I mean, you're okay with having him be a chair offensively when he's shutting down the opposing team's top player, but how about when he's on someone that isn't a top 3-4 option offensively? I don't think switching him onto Dirk would benefit the Monstars either.

Shammyguy3
06-29-2017, 10:31 PM
Every year Posters from PSD come together and do a secret auction of all players throughout NBA history attempting to make the best team and win the PSD All-Time Auction Championship! The teams have been seeded and are now in the playoffs. Please look over the teams and vote based on which team you think would win in a 7 game playoff series.

Monstars:

vs.

STG Elite:

Two of my favorite teams, still not sure who I'm voting for

KnicksorBust
06-29-2017, 10:41 PM

Monstars:

vs.

STG Elite:

Two of my favorite teams, still not sure who I'm voting for

If it is close why not just go with the team with the clutch scorer being guarded by ominique wilkins?

Redrum187
06-30-2017, 12:42 AM
I think there is a bigger discrepancy from Elvin Hayes and Dirk than Wilkins and Bird surprisingly.

Looking at Hayes' 3 year peak (his first 3 years in the league) he averaged a .480 TS%. He shot 26 shots to get 28 points! Hayes was also the definition of a selfish ballhog. He hated passing the rock... I wouldn't be surprised if Hayes end up taking more shots than Bird. It's why he is historically known as a team cancer and bad locker room guy.

Meanwhile, Dirk shot a .590 TS% in his 3 year peak... needing only 18 shots to score 26 points per game. This in conjunction with Wilkins being neck-and-neck with Bird in head-to-head games makes me further lean for Team STG.

Willing to hear a counter argument for why Hayes isn't as terrible as his numbers appear. The only thing positive about Hayes was his defense; he was a good defender.

https://www.todaysfastbreak.com/from-the-courts/rosen-in-defense-of-the-triangle/

Whenever I asked Elvin to do something else, like pass the ball, hed just say, Im an All-Star. Why should I change my game? Asking me to pass the ball is like asking Babe Ruth to bunt.

Shammyguy3
06-30-2017, 08:09 AM
If it is close why not just go with the team with the clutch scorer being guarded by ominique wilkins?

Pretty sure Sam Jones would do that

KnicksorBust
06-30-2017, 12:35 PM
null

Anyone else notice what RR is very cleverly doing? :)

Super.
06-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Anyone else notice what RR is very cleverly doing? :)

He's been doing it since round 1 :)

KnicksorBust
06-30-2017, 02:12 PM
I voted for Monstars. This is the first time their bench is starting to bother me but I love how the key matchups go in their favor. Ben Wallace's size and strength would be tough for Parish on the boards. Hayes would get outplayed by Dirk but I think he would do a good job defensively and make him work offensively. I personally think the difference between Bird and Nique is larger and Moncrief would be perfect to put on Jones or Payton to slow him down. Plus Billups and Bird are just clutch players and in a close series I trust them to win the series for the Monstars.

KnicksorBust
06-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Surprised it's close. 6-5 after my vote. Very cool.

valade16
06-30-2017, 02:24 PM
I voted for Monstars. This is the first time their bench is starting to bother me but I love how the key matchups go in their favor. Ben Wallace's size and strength would be tough for Parish on the boards. Hayes would get outplayed by Dirk but I think he would do a good job defensively and make him work offensively. I personally think the difference between Bird and Nique is larger and Moncrief would be perfect to put on Jones or Payton to slow him down. Plus Billups and Bird are just clutch players and in a close series I trust them to win the series for the Monstars.

This is the toughest series for me. Did Bird always get the best of Nique because he outplayed him or because the supporting casts around them? Nique has a lot of games where he went toe to toe with Bird.

I agree Bird and Billups are so clutch they are making me lean Monstars, but I haven't completely talked myself out of voting for STG Elite.

NYKalltheway
06-30-2017, 02:33 PM
This is the toughest series for me. Did Bird always get the best of Nique because he outplayed him or because the supporting casts around them? Nique has a lot of games where he went toe to toe with Bird.

Bird is a better player than Nique no doubt but there's too much truth in the supporting cast difference.

GREATNESS ONE
07-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Tie game 40min!

KnicksorBust
07-01-2017, 04:51 PM
Rooting for Monstars but both teams are great and have ridiculously underrated players so it is a win both ways.

valade16
07-01-2017, 05:50 PM
The poll ended in a tie. There is a 24 hour extension, if you have not voted post with who you want to vote for.

GREATNESS ONE
07-01-2017, 05:52 PM
I was about to vote and the very last second, I couldn't decide.

Who wants my vote?

KnicksorBust
07-01-2017, 06:44 PM
I was about to vote and the very last second, I couldn't decide.

Who wants my vote?

Whore. Vote or go away

Eagles4Lyfe
07-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Who the hell is the Monstars GM, didn't even defend his team.

But regardless like STG and Redrum stated in an all time, you need multiple options and different ways of creating efficiently and effectively.

Ill vote STG elite.

What a crummy name for a team though :laugh:

GREATNESS ONE
07-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Whore. Vote or go away

Don't be dumb, sit on your chair and shut up.

These teams are too even, I can see it coming down to the last minute of basketball.

Who guards Bird and Who guards Dirk possession for possession last minute.

unleashthebeast
07-01-2017, 09:00 PM
It's a damn shame that complete teams like mine and Super's don't get more love in this. Super's team is perfectly constructed and wins this series.

I vote Monstars

Redrum187
07-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Who the hell is the Monstars GM, didn't even defend his team.

But regardless like STG and Redrum stated in an all time, you need multiple options and different ways of creating efficiently and effectively.

Ill vote STG elite.

What a crummy name for a team though :laugh:

It's a damn shame really. I like back-and-forth discussions. Without them, it's boring and monotonous.

At the end of the day, we are wanting people's vote... if you don't care enough about your team to address criticisms, how can you expect anyone to vote for you? For me, that is what moves the needle... especially when it's a tie game.

Redrum187
07-01-2017, 10:16 PM
Don't be dumb, sit on your chair and shut up.

These teams are too even, I can see it coming down to the last minute of basketball.

Who guards Bird and Who guards Dirk possession for possession last minute.

With great power comes great responsibility! You hold the tie-breaking vote it appears! :P

Super.
07-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Because I'm ****ing busy and have a life outside of this game? Jesus Christ people

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Shammyguy3
07-01-2017, 11:25 PM
Because I'm ****ing busy and have a life outside of this game? Jesus Christ people

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
This. I'm far beyond the full page write up that only three people will read. Don't have the energy for that anymore

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2017, 11:26 PM
This. I'm far beyond the full page write up that only three people will read. Don't have the energy for that anymore
Yea **** that noise. 2-3 replies is enough. **** that 8 page argument ****, especially when there is such a small vote count now. I've been moving all day. No time for that crap

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mavwar53
07-02-2017, 12:42 AM

Well I'll be honest, I could care less about it because other than obvious matchups MJ vs. Demar Derozan or whatever has there ever been a team/owner/GM that had tried to convince me their player is not going to matchup well against the other starter? Always going to try and convince their way will work. How about using the knowledge you/I have and putting the pieces of the puzzle together. A write up ca be interesting but if you favor one over the other you're just buying what one is selling and not what the other is, basically just looking for which one confirms your original thoughts.

Redrum187
07-02-2017, 02:42 AM
Everyone votes differently. I use to enjoy KnicksorBust's questions to individual teams. It would put them on the hot spot and they would have to discuss actual strategy. Times KoB has voted against me, I knew at the very least he was being objective. It would be great if more people did that and cared, not less.

I do agree though, after a certain amount of beating a dead horse, the discussion becomes pointless as most people already made up their own mind on which side to buy. However, some people simply don't even respond to criticisms or questions for whatever reason ("they have a life", they don't care, no explanation/they concede, etc...) when the score is so damn close.

KnicksorBust
07-02-2017, 07:55 AM
The "I have a life" line is kinda lame to me at this point. Heard it before but really it takes like 10-15 minutes to do a writeup. You signed up for a game on an internet forum. If you don't care if you win thats fine but dont complain that your busy life ruined your psd game. I have 18 month twins and a full time job and just on my **** breaks could knock one out. You mean to tell me you watched no tv? Never went on your phone? Everyone can find 15 minutes in a 24 hour day.

That being said who actually won?

GREATNESS ONE
07-02-2017, 09:13 AM
As the Tie-Breaking vote, I'll vote STG.

Super.
07-02-2017, 10:35 AM
The "I have a life" line is kinda lame to me at this point. Heard it before but really it takes like 10-15 minutes to do a writeup. You signed up for a game on an internet forum. If you don't care if you win thats fine but dont complain that your busy life ruined your psd game. I have 18 month twins and a full time job and just on my **** breaks could knock one out. You mean to tell me you watched no tv? Never went on your phone? Everyone can find 15 minutes in a 24 hour day.

wew lad
e
w
l
a
d

greg_ory_2005
07-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Really good matchup. I'll go with Monstars though

Sadds The Gr8
07-02-2017, 11:00 AM

I dont mind a 3-4 post debate...thats the point of a forum. It's the 10 page wars that im not down for anymore.

GREATNESS ONE
07-02-2017, 11:05 AM
I think you guys should play 1 v 1 to determine the winner. Play to 11

KnicksorBust
07-02-2017, 11:47 AM

I dont mind a 3-4 post debate...thats the point of a forum. It's the 10 page wars that im not down for anymore.

Yeah I am good with that. Some don't even do that. I just don't want to hear people complain about their busy lives on an internet forum. Make your case or just shut up if you lose.

kdspurman
07-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Dag, I missed the deadline. :(

valade16
07-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Dag, I missed the deadline. :(

You can still vote! Just post who you think would win.

Quinnsanity
07-02-2017, 04:53 PM
FWIW I would give the slightest of edges to the Monstars. If you want to count that as a vote, go for it.

valade16
07-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Monstars wins.

KnicksorBust
07-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Monstars wins.

Nice! Better team moves on. Next round is gonna be a bloodbath.

GREATNESS ONE
07-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Nice! Better team moves on. Next round is gonna be a bloodbath.

I hate your opinions.

kdspurman
07-02-2017, 08:18 PM
You can still vote! Just post who you think would win.

I missed this, but I was going Monstars anyway.