PDA

View Full Version : Bogdan Bogdanovic to sign 3 year deal with Kings

JLynn943
06-28-2017, 02:28 PM
The Kings have reached an agreement with Euroleauge star Bogdan Bogdanovic on a three-year, $36 million contract, league sources told The Bee. Bogdanovic can sign the deal on July 6 when the moratorium on free agent signings ends.

The 6-foot-6 guard from Serbia was MVP of the Turkish League and led Fenerbahce to its first EuroLeague title this past season. Hes considered one of the best shooters in Europe. He was also part of the Serbian National team that won the silver medal in the 2016 Olympics.

He averaged 14.6 points on 50 percent shooting last season. That includes shooting 43 percent from 3-point range.

The Kings acquired the draft rights to Bogdanovic last year during the NBA in a trade with Phoenix. The Suns drafted Bogdanovic, 24, with the 27ht pick in the 2014 NBA Draft and sent his rights to the Kings along with the 13th and 28th picks in last years draft to Sacramento for the eighth pick in the draft (Marquesse Chriss).

The Kings used the picks to select center Georgios Papagiannis 13th and forward Skal Labissiere with the 28th pick.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article158636469.html

The Kings acquired the rights to Bogdan (not Bojan) during last year's draft. He's coming off winning the EuroLeague and was MVP of the Turkish League. Many consider him among the best players not currently in the NBA. The terms of the deal are still uncertain (some say 3/$30M, others 3/$36M).

I've been hoping he'd come over. It's not immediately clear where he'll fit with us with Hield, Temple, and Malachi Richardson (and potentially Ben McLemore if we want) all at SG, but perhaps he gets time at SF in a small ball lineup. Either way, he was basically a 1st round draft pick for us last year, so I'm anxious to see what he'll bring.

(I know we're not a contender, but other teams matter, too, right? :D)

Hustla23
06-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Not sure where he fits with the Kings long term but could be a great trade chip somewhere down the line.

FlashBolt
06-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Don't get confused, this isn't for Bo*J*an from the Wizards.

JLynn943
06-28-2017, 02:39 PM
Don't get confused, this isn't for Bo*J*an from the Wizards.

Correct. Not even related despite the similar name. To be fair though, Bogdan was a more touted player when both were drafted. Bojan has done well for himself though.

kobe4thewinbang
06-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Kings starting to look decent. Can't believe they got jack for Cousins though.

mrblisterdundee
06-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Good pickup. They needed shooting, and they're signing one of the best shooters in Europe.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-30-2017, 01:49 PM
Here we come Golden State!

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Kings starting to look decent. Can't believe they got jack for Cousins though.

To be fair... a few things of note:

1) Buddy Hield played really well for Sacramento after the trade averaging 15 PPG on 48% FG and 43% from 3PT.

2) They also got the 10th pick which they turned into Justin Jackson and Harry Giles. We'll have to wait on those players obviously.

3) If they didn't trade Cousins, they probably would not have had a top 5 pick, which means no drafting De'Aaron Fox. They probably would have ended up with something like the 10th pick in the draft instead.

4) Now they don't have to pay Cousins $200 Mil only to have a mediocre at best team going forward. With Cousins they wouldn't have been bad enough to get top draft picks so how would they acquire the type of assets to build around Cousins? It would have been incredible difficult. Now they save the money and get to kick start a new rebuild. This is probably for the best anyway.

5) They get to set a new culture. I'm not saying Cousins didn't work hard, but he was certainly a sore loser who didn't handle failure well. The Kings needed to set a new culture.

Look, I'm just trying to justify the trade. I didn't like it at the time, but in retrospect, I like the position we are in now compared to when we still had Cousins. The things I mentioned above are all true for the most part and the franchise is in a better place because of it. Only problem is they still have Viveke as the owner who has allowed a ton of dysfunction to occur under his watch and believes it's a good idea to have 4 guys playing defense and having someone cherry pick in the NBA.

Heediot
06-30-2017, 05:49 PM
too much loot for an unproven guy at the nba level.

eDush
07-01-2017, 02:22 PM
It's risky but Bogdan can surely help them if he can continue his play in our league. Time will tell on this signing. If Boogie could only see how they are building now without a distraction :nod:

richiesaurus310
07-01-2017, 02:41 PM
too much loot for an unproven guy at the nba level.

Eh it's only a 3 year deal. They're gonna be rebuilding for the next 2-3 year's anyways.