PDA

View Full Version : CP3 and Blake were prolly never meant to play together, +CP3 never been in a modern O

Chronz
06-28-2017, 11:46 AM
And I think they both understand this now. Its like having 2 Point Guards who all of sudden want to run the show entirely.

When word of the CP3 trade first hit Blake, "Lob City" was born and trending over night. I remember getting caught up in the hoopla too, Blake was a true skywalker back then but it did worry me that CP3 didn't like running high pace offenses and attempting high risk passes, little did Blake know he would actually lead the Clips in lob passes himself some years.

The duo was likened to Nash/Amare, Stockton/Malone and while CP3 is sort of in their mold Blake is an entirely different kind of player. Those guys above were flat out finishers, they didn't look to pass because they were singularly driven to score. As Malone aged and his game drifted out to the perimeter he began to pass alot more but in his youth he was rumbling his way down the lane on every drop pass, instantly. One vivid memory I have of watching Blake and CP3 in year 1 and 2 is how often CP3 would have to convince Blake to just attack or just shoot, constantly harping at him to "GO!! already", "Just Go" was something I must've heard/seen him yell a lot.

Blake is more like Charles Barkley in how hes always surveying the floor rather than just attacking, and if you look at the PG's hes always played with, they tend to be of the scoring variety or he was a part of a post up heavy system. CP3 loathes looking to score early simply because hes beyond the point of his career where he can go full bore all 48. He likes to pick and choose his spots and this is the problem they both share and they have tried hard as hell to work on these issues, both have made the most of their skillset overlap but there is only so much you can do. Not only that, but the rules have changed to where the lack of spacing from 2 bigmen really cramps the floor for perimeter ball handlers.

Blake would be wise to link up with a Center who can shoot in Horford and scoring PG in Boston (though Boogie loathed him) where he can do his PG routine with weapons instead being forced to be a #1 option.

CP3 would be wise to go to the Spurs or stay in LA with a team building an actual offense around his skills. I saddens me to no end that we never got to see CP3 with a team built around his skills entirely, part of the reason the Clips continue winning without Blake is because we simply replace his shot selection (mid-range) with more efficient 3's and superior spacing for the rest. Imagine if we replaced old man Pierce with an actual stretch-4 on the Clips. CP3 could post 19-13 easily IMO.

Anyways, would you have traded Blake and built around CP3 instead? I had hoped we could have it all but our management really dropped the ball in surrounding them with complimentary talent.

FlashBolt
06-28-2017, 11:51 AM
I guess this thread should be closed? haha

FOXHOUND
06-28-2017, 11:51 AM
RIP thread lol. :clap:

hugepatsfan
06-28-2017, 11:59 AM
And I think they both understand this now. Its like having 2 Point Guards who all of sudden want to run the show entirely.

When word of the CP3 trade first hit Blake, "Lob City" was born and trending over night. I remember getting caught up in the hoopla too, Blake was a true skywalker back then but it did worry me that CP3 didn't like running high pace offenses and attempting high risk passes, little did Blake know he would actually lead the Clips in lob passes himself some years.

The duo was likened to Nash/Amare, Stockton/Malone and while CP3 is sort of in their mold Blake is an entirely different kind of player. Those guys above were flat out finishers, they didn't look to pass because they were singularly driven to score. As Malone aged and his game drifted out to the perimeter he began to pass alot more but in his youth he was rumbling his way down the lane on every drop pass, instantly. One vivid memory I have of watching Blake and CP3 in year 1 and 2 is how often CP3 would have to convince Blake to just attack or just shoot, constantly harping at him to "GO!! already", "Just Go" was something I must've heard/seen him yell a lot.

Blake is more like Charles Barkley in how hes always surveying the floor rather than just attacking, and if you look at the PG's hes always played with, they tend to be of the scoring variety or he was a part of a post up heavy system. CP3 loathes looking to score early simply because hes beyond the point of his career where he can go full bore all 48. He likes to pick and choose his spots and this is the problem they both share and they have tried hard as hell to work on these issues, both have made the most of their skillset overlap but there is only so much you can do. Not only that, but the rules have changed to where the lack of spacing from 2 bigmen really cramps the floor for perimeter ball handlers.

Blake would be wise to link up with a Center who can shoot in Horford and scoring PG in Boston (though Boogie loathed him) where he can do his PG routine with weapons instead being forced to be a #1 option.

CP3 would be wise to go to the Spurs or stay in LA with a team building an actual offense around his skills. I saddens me to no end that we never got to see CP3 with a team built around his skills entirely, part of the reason the Clips continue winning without Blake is because we simply replace his shot selection (mid-range) with more efficient 3's and superior spacing for the rest. Imagine if we replaced old man Pierce with an actual stretch-4 on the Clips. CP3 could post 19-13 easily IMO.

Anyways, would you have traded Blake and built around CP3 instead? I had hoped we could have it all but our management really dropped the ball in surrounding them with complimentary talent.

BOS already uses Horford in that Point Guard role as a big man. I'm sure the two of them could work together though. That'd be insane passing in the front court. Two bigs with pretty legit point guard type skills.

BOS can execute their rumored Hayward/PG pairing with signing Blake instead.

Chronz
06-28-2017, 12:04 PM
lol, swear i didn't know. as soon as i hit send, like 15 seconds later i get a notice from my hangouts homies

Chronz
06-28-2017, 12:12 PM
BOS already uses Horford in that Point Guard role as a big man. I'm sure the two of them could work together though. That'd be insane passing in the front court. Two bigs with pretty legit point guard type skills.

BOS can execute their rumored Hayward/PG pairing with signing Blake instead.

Blake gon change that thats for sure.

Cracka2HI!
06-28-2017, 10:01 PM
LOL! Nice timing Chronz!! You're spot on in this post. It just wasn't a great fit. It was better when Blake was younger and more of a high flyer. I think Blake developing a jumper and becoming more perimeter oriented really made him less useful with CP3. Blake wants to do too much of what CP3 does and not enough of what we needed him to do. I think Blake will probably leave too. I've thought he was leaving all along. However, I can see him wanting him stay without CP3. I don't think Blake and DJ feel the same way about Austin and Doc as CP3. There could be a different more fun feel to the team without Chris. We've all heard the rumblings about CP3 having problems with them too. Maybe he was the best guy to go.

I'm glad this happened. Granted it wasn't The Clippers decision(although they did only offer 4 years) but I'm glad they're not staying the course. I don't think they did badly in this trade either. If Blake stays I think Beverly, Williams, Dekker and even Harrell can all contribute. They would still have work to do but I can see still them being a playoff team. If Blake leaves they can into a full re-build with a competent leader in Jerry West. This is seriously a better situation than I imagined we could be in. I love Chris Paul but I wanted no part of that contract. That would have set the team back another 5 years. At least now they can get back into the draft, maybe even the lottery and move forward.