PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Auction Playoffs (Seaside Seagulls vs. Team KDS)

valade16
06-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Every year Posters from PSD come together and do a secret auction of all players throughout NBA history attempting to make the best team and win the PSD All-Time Auction Championship! The teams have been seeded and are now in the playoffs. Please look over the teams and vote based on which team you think would win in a 7 game playoff series.

Seaside Seagulls has the higher seed and will have home court advantage in the series.

Seaside Seagulls:

PG: Steph Curry | Derek Harper
SG: Joe Dumars | Michael Redd
SF: Alex English | Kyle Korver
PF: Bob McAdoo | Gus Johnson
C: Dwight Howard | Kevin Willis

vs.

Team KDS:

PG: Jason Kidd | Earl "The Pearl" Monroe
SG: Mitch Richmond | Dave Bing
SF: Dan Majerle | Billy Cunningham
PF: Bob Petit | Jermaine O'Neal
C: Tim Duncan | Jerry Lucas

KnicksorBust
06-25-2017, 08:38 PM
My initial reaction was just keep voting for KDS bc I love the Kidd-Duncan combo. Then I realized how stacked SS was offensively. They would be such a potent offense. Then I started thinking maybe they would outscore KDS. But then I realized w Curry-English-Mac that D12 would be the 4th-5th option and then he would be an unfocused malcontent. He loves his touches. Now I am back to leaning KDS but now that the real playoffs have started I want to see some debate before I vote.

Redrum187
06-25-2017, 10:32 PM
I really love both their teams. They did a great job constructing it. I'd love to hear the debates.

kdspurman
06-25-2017, 10:34 PM
I'll have a little write up tomorrow

valade16
06-26-2017, 12:25 AM
Offensively KDS doesn't have enough firepower to keep up. It's not just how much my guys could score, with Curry, English and McAdoo all having led the league in scoring, it's the incredible efficiency. During their 3 year primes, Curry averaged 26 PPG on 64.5% TS, English 26 on 57.4% TS, McAdoo 32 PPG on 56.7% TS, and Dwight 20 PPG on 61.5% TS.

Defensively we plan to have Curry guard Majerle and let Dumars guard whoever between Kidd and Richmond is playing better. We plan to have Dwight screen for Curry to draw Duncan away from the basket. KDS will have to hedge on Curry or risk the 3, allowing either Howard free rolling to the basket or McAdoo, English and Dumars (and his 38% 3PT shooting) free elsewhere.

Curry is someone who requires help defense but who is he leaving open? He can't leave open McAdoo or English.

KDS built a good team. I love the Duncan-Kidd combo, but he just doesn't have the offense to keep up.

Lucky.
06-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Took me a little longer to vote for Seaside but I think that's just because I really liked KDS with Kidd-Duncan and was trying to convince myself, but realistically I really don't see it. I think Seaside is just better.

Props to Seaside for making Alex English fit and work. English and players alike have struggled in these games recently and I think this is about as good a fit there is for someone like him.

kdspurman
06-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Game Plan Defensively: Mix it up/Physicality/Hack-a-Dwight/Live with Dwight getting 1 on 1 looks vs Petit

Steph Curry is obviously a great scorer, but he'll have a guy in J. Kidd on him who is a 9x All NBA Defensive player. If you're using Dwight to screen for Steph, TD (or whatever big is guarding Dwight at the time, cause TD won't be guarding Dwight all game btw) and Kidd will do their fair share of trapping. It'll be tough to hit a rolling Dwight if trapped. Trapping has often been an effective way to get the ball out Curry's hands, and he's not working with the shooters he is in GS. It won't happen like this all the time, with Curry it's all about mixing up the Defense. Kidd will go over the screens often, to keep him from getting off the 3 point line, and just stay connected as much as possible.

With English, Majerle is another All NBA defender (2x), who will at the very least make him work for his buckets. Someone to be physical and not allow him to get what he wants without making him work hard for it.

McAdoo and Petit will likely trade baskets, both were fine scorers. This is why TD will be guarding McAdoo more (probably 80/20) than Dwight in this one, just because he was such an efficient and more versatile scorer than Dwight. What better way to slow a guy down than with a 15x All NBA Defensive player?

With Petit on Dwight, I'm comfortable if you want to try and take advantage of that match-up. With Jerry Lucas & Jermaine O'neal on the bench, I've got the bigs to throw at him, and to also go Hack-a-Dwight.

Game Plan Offensively: Ball movement/Transition/Taking advantage of advantages

Ball movement, trying to get out in transition (Kidd was a master at this, and with Majerle/Richmond on the wings, those guys are going to get great looks) and heavy doses of TD going 1 on 1 with Dwight. Post up or face up, he can score the ball in a variety of ways, and also kick out to the shooters. This is a team that will thrive in transition, but can also slow the game down and play more half court if needed to control the pace.

TD vs Dwight

36 year old Timmy played pretty even with a 27 year old Dwight in their 2013 matchup.
TD's #'s

17.5 7.5 1.5 1.5 1.0

Dwight's #'s
17.0 10.8 1.0 0.5 2.0

He was just a smarter player, and prime TD would be even better. He'd get Dwight to bite on his pump fakes, get him in foul trouble, and get in his head by being the silent assassin that he was.

Majerle/Richmond would be factors too offensively, outside of just spreading the floor. Thunder Dan, with Curry guarding him, he'd run through lots of screens, and we'd give him a couple touches in the post. He has the size/strength advantage, and had a nice little post game. What better way to slow Curry down than to make him work hard on both ends? This is a guy who had some success scoring the ball against Pippen/Jordan in their series. I don't think Curry would offer any kind of resistance here.

Mitch would have a tough assignment if Dumars is on him, but when it's English, he would have an easier time scoring the ball.

I think with the defense of Seaside Seagulls, this team would not have trouble scoring the ball. TD's scoring numbers went up in the playoffs, Petit lead the league in scoring 2x and averaged 28/31/28 in a 3 year span, and Richmond was a 22+ ppg guy, shooting +40% from 3. Majerle wasn't as big a scoring threat, but still a 16ppg scorer at around 38% from 3, and we know Kidd was a jack of all trades guy who could score, pass, rebound, defend, etc...

valade16
06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
The 3 things I'd say in response are

1. I would love Pettit guarding Dwight. Pettit was 205 lbs (a product of his time), Dwight is one of the biggest and strongest guys to ever play. He'd push Pettit out of the way for dunks and McAdoo's a good enough outside shooter Duncan can't leave him to protect the rim. This also appeases Dwight with touches to prevent him from becoming a malcontent.

2. For Hack-a-Dwight, Howard shot 59.4% from the line in his 3 year peak. Obviously bad but not so bad that it's worth it to hack him, and even if it does prove effective and we have to sin him out for Kevin Willis or go smaller with Gus Johnson (moving McAdoo to C), he's eliminating my #4 scorer at the expense of his #2 scorer. I'd take that trade any day especially when there is already a scoring discrepancy to begin with.

3. Transition. If Kidd wants to turn this into a fast paced game I'd be more than happy to. Curry is very good on the break as well and I'm more confident in a Curry/English/McAdoo fastbreak than I am a Kidd/Richmond/Majerle one.

kdspurman
06-26-2017, 11:52 AM

1. I would love Pettit guarding Dwight. Pettit was 205 lbs (a product of his time), Dwight is one of the biggest and strongest guys to ever play. He'd push Pettit out of the way for dunks and McAdoo's a good enough outside shooter Duncan can't leave him to protect the rim. This also appeases Dwight with touches to prevent him from becoming a malcontent.

I'd definitely throw JO/Lucas at him too, who either have more size/physicality but again i'd much rather live with heavy doses of Dwight than other guys having the ball.

2. For Hack-a-Dwight, Howard shot 59.4% from the line in his 3 year peak. Obviously bad but not so bad that it's worth it to hack him, and even if it does prove effective and we have to sin him out for Kevin Willis or go smaller with Gus Johnson (moving McAdoo to C), he's eliminating my #4 scorer at the expense of his #2 scorer. I'd take that trade any day especially when there is already a scoring discrepancy to begin with.

Maybe eliminating you're #4 scorer, but defensively, it makes that unit weaker than it already is. And you also mentioned Dwight picking/rolling to the basket w/Steph, so it also eliminates that option. It opens things up for the offense in a big way, I don't see how that unit would get stops against my bigs without doubling, which then frees up the shooters.

3. Transition. If Kidd wants to turn this into a fast paced game I'd be more than happy to. Curry is very good on the break as well and I'm more confident in a Curry/English/McAdoo fastbreak than I am a Kidd/Richmond/Majerle one.

Kidd will pick his moments and play fast when he sees fit. That's why I mentioned this team can play half court too. Ball movement, TD in the post, Majerle 1 vs 1 Curry, etc... They can play in a variety of ways, but absolutely plan to push the pace at times. Especially if Dwight isn't out there to protect the rim.

GREATNESS ONE
06-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Weak sauce

KnicksorBust
06-27-2017, 07:46 AM
Took me a little longer to vote for Seaside but I think that's just because I really liked KDS with Kidd-Duncan and was trying to convince myself, but realistically I really don't see it. I think Seaside is just better.

Props to Seaside for making Alex English fit and work. English and players alike have struggled in these games recently and I think this is about as good a fit there is for someone like him.

Alex English in this matchup. Elvin Hayes on another team. THEE DAN ROUNDFIELD. All guys who are getting far more respect in this game than in previous years. Pretty cool. I heard the rumblings of a No MVP all-time redraft. That would really bring more lost greats to the center stage.

KnicksorBust
06-27-2017, 07:51 AM

This post got my vote.

valade16
06-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Seaside Seagulls win.

kdspurman
06-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Seaside Seagulls win.

Congrats man. I'm still a noob in these things, but I'm gettin' the hang of things.

valade16
06-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Congrats man. I'm still a noob in these things, but I'm gettin' the hang of things.

Thanks. You built a really good team. I had you ranked 6th on my ballot for what it's worth.. It's a shame we had to face in the 1st round but this year the depth of quality teams is way bigger than years past.

kdspurman
06-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks. You built a really good team. I had you ranked 6th on my ballot for what it's worth.. It's a shame we had to face in the 1st round but this year the depth of quality teams is way bigger than years past.

Wow 0_o. Thanks

I'll have to try and tweak things a bit next time, maybe should've aimed for another wing scorer