PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Auction Playoffs (Team Jon vs. Dunkapolooza)

valade16
06-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Every year Posters from PSD come together and do a secret auction of all players throughout NBA history attempting to make the best team and win the PSD All-Time Auction Championship! The teams have been seeded and are now in the playoffs. Please look over the teams and vote based on which team you think would win in a 7 game playoff series.

Team Jon has the higher seed and will have home court advantage in the series.

Team Jon:

PG - John Stockton (38) / Alvin Robertson (6) / Steve Francis (4)
SG - Alvin Robertson (32) / World B. Free (16)
SF - Peja Stojakovic (32) / Mark Aguirre (16)
PF - Charles Oakley (22) / LaMarcus Aldridge (22) / Peja Stojakovic (4)
C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (40) / Charles Oakley (8)

Reserves :
PF/C - Derrick Coleman

vs.

Dunkapolooza:

PG: Anfernee Hardaway 29 / Derrick Rose 16 / Byron Scott 3
SG: Dwyane Wade 36 / Anfernee Hardaway 6 / Byron Scott 4 / Paul George 2
SF: Paul George 31 / Rashard Lewis 13 / Larry Johnson 4
PF: Dave Debusschere 22 / Larry Johnson 14 / Rashard Lewis 6 / Alonzo Mourning 6
C: Alonzo Mourning 30 / Walt Bellamy 18

jon32
06-25-2017, 05:28 PM
finally the real matchups start :hi5:

Lakers + Giants
06-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Someone who can guard wade in Alvin, this is going to be quick work. Jon in 5.

jon32
06-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Also in this matchup Aldridge would probably get more than 22mins....could even start over Oak

KnicksorBust
06-25-2017, 06:55 PM
My gut says Jon but I am not 100% so I will wait a day for argument

jon32
06-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Stockton/Alvin backcourt is a great matchup for penny/wade to slow them down.

Stockton/Kareem pick a roll with Peja lurking at the 3pt will be too much.

valade16
06-25-2017, 08:39 PM
I accidentally voted for the wrong team. I meant to vote for Dunkapolooza.

jon32
06-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Why vote dunk valade? I have the greatest scorer off all time....nobody in this game is stopping Kareem. Ive paired him with the greatest passer of all time in Stockton. Put possibly the best catch and shoot sf of all time in peja at sf. And my sg is capable of guarding the best sg's..........while a capable scorer. I have 4 elite D players starting and 3 elite offensive players starting.

My backcourt will cause big trouble for penny/wade. My D at the frontcourt is elite too. As good as Mourning is on D......Kareem is gonna annihilate

Redrum187
06-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Call me crazy, but I think Dunka should start Shard at PF. I don't see Dave and his elite defense needed to guard Oakley who was very subpar offensively. With Lewis, he would pull Oakley away from the rim (something he wasn't use to doing), be faster, spread the floor even more, and score at a higher clip too. With Penny/PG/Shard's spacing, it would give Wade plenty of room to penetrate or kick it out to the open man on the perimeter.

I'll wait for the write ups. Looking forward to it.

jon32
06-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Aside from KAJ...ppl do realize how efficient and a great scorer Stockton was right?

jon32
06-25-2017, 09:00 PM
What exactly is dunks gameplan? Dwade carrying the offensive load? Ok.....have fun with alvin and stockton shutting you down.

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 02:14 AM
Posting my write up tonight. Short version is wade guards stockton. Paul George guards peja. Suddenly kareem looks like a real lonly scorer. And Bellamy plays extra minutes. Dave plays less. If alonzo can't slow down kareem why are we even playing this game. I have a plus match up across the board. Alvin is supposed to stop wade so much more then zo stopping kareem? At least alonzo can make up more points on offense then alvin can.

His second best scorer in peja probably wouldn't even start for me. Give me the two way player everytime.

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 02:15 AM
But yes. Oakley will have to guard in space against lj. Dave. Or lewis. He literally can't guard anyone but Bellamy and alonzo. Lol.

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 08:48 AM
Nvm this afternoon. Gotta prep a video

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Wade guards Stockton. That means Alvin has to find him in transition. Stockton, great d as he plays, I don't think can handle Wade. Too big, nicknamed flash. Penny isn't a bad backup plan with all that size and quickness.

My guards are simply bigger and more prolific scorers. Who can go by most players or post up. Wade 6’4 220 and penny 6’7 200 vs robertson 6’3 185 and John 6’170. 6 inches and 30 pounds given up. That's a bigger size disparity then Kareem to zo. And both penny and Wade were excellent post up players.

Let's not pretend Alvin can shut down Wade. 22.3 pts 46% from the field against Kidd in his career. You don't even want to know kidds #s. 1st round scorers don't get shut down, that's why they are 1st rounders. Even days affected by the defense Wade will score more than Stockton and penny will score more than robertson.

3 sub 20 scorers through their peak? Ouch. He has very few guys who can get their own shot against my d.

Paul on peja, assigned to never leave. Why would he? Oakley? Robertson shooting? I'm trying to force the ball to them. Come on, Paul is going to guard peja better then peja is gonna guard Paul. He's got a negative DBPM every year of his career.

He's got great defenders. So do I. I just have a lot more scoring around them.

More athletic too. Faster in a straight line at all five starting positions probably. the three of my wings are better rebounders than his three too. 4.4, penny. 5.3 Wade. 6.9 George. Vs 2.8 john. 5.8 robertson. 5.7 peja. All my great finishers can initiate the fast break and handle the ball.

Alonzo on Kareem. No one can stop a 1st rounder. Even all league d, but at least zo is stronger and heavier and a quick agile leaper. He can make it tough as much as almost anyone. Head to Head against Shaq I'm peak 98-01

Zo. 23 pts 10 Reb 2 ast 1.6 to 45% fg 73% ft 8.7 fta
Shaq. 28.33 pts 11.3 Reb 4 ast 51% fg 62% ft 12 fta

I also plan to use Dave debusschere and 6 time 1st all d to strategically help. If that forces the ball to Oakley or Alvin, fine. Dave actually scored almost as much as Alvin. 16.5 vs 17.3.

To help on the boards bells will play extra minutes. Especially against Aldridge line ups. Bellamy does not get enough love. Thurman, 15 games in bells peak - 24.1 pts 14.33 Reb and went to the line 8.4 times at 65%. 75 games against Russell - 24.4 pts 8.4 free throws at 65%. Against wilt - 24.2 pts, 17.9 Reb and took 7.1 ft 65% in bells peak.

Against kareem, for the eye test here is a video with footage of them against each other.
https://youtu.be/vH8tpl04EDI

You can see what that match up looked like. (2:07) he could shoot and pull Kareem out of the middle. (3:11, 6:15, 6:27, 9:10, 8:49)
Drive on a close out (2:32, 2:54, 6:03, :20, :13, 11:04) pass out of it (9:55) Muscle a little with him (3:31, 10:40) and he can use his weight to bother Kareem on d (4:24, 6:43, 7:31, 8:29, 9:31). And he can block some shots while in (:29). His efg% is even better then Aldridge. While spacing! Averaging 28.8 and 17.4!

And if he wants to go small I see no reason why not Dave at 3 or larry and Paul can stay with peja no matter where he plays. And small ball 4 is just Larry's game. Rashard Lewis too? Aldridge and Oakley can't guard any of my PF in space. I can go big or small at will, dictating the game.

Wade and penny outscore Stockton and Alvin. Like georges two way game over peja. And my bench can score with his where I got more stud athletes.

My plan is to prevent Kareem from getting help or force the offense at Oakley and Alvin finishing. On offense I'll attack Stockton and peja to diminish their offensive energy and glue better athletes to them. I'll put his rim under siege in transition and half court. Using better, more aggressive finishers I have a better chance of getting Kareem out of the game then he does with zo. Then he'll have no chance.

Jets012
06-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Shocked at the results. I like both teams, both did a good job, but I do think Jon's is definitely better.

GREATNESS ONE
06-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Weak sauce

GREATNESS ONE
06-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Shocked at the results. I like both teams, both did a good job, but I do think Jon's is definitely better.

Your opinion means nothing.

jon32
06-26-2017, 12:26 PM
lol dunk you cant vote for your own team !!

GREATNESS ONE
06-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Ya'll both voted against my team, so I'll wait to vote. I wanna **** on someone's parade. Ya'll bandwagon!

I want team RR to win.

Redrum187
06-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Ya'll both voted against my team, so I'll wait to vote. I wanna **** on someone's parade. Ya'll bandwagon!

I want team RR to win.

<3

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Lol I couldn't resist not seeing the results and didn't know how else to do it :cool:

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Why didn't you surround Stockton with more finishers though? With Robertson and Oakley you don't even want him to pass.

jon32
06-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Lol dunk.....theres literally a "see results" button lolol

jon32
06-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Stock is gunning with Kareem to the rim. Kareem/Stockton pick a roll with Peja on the outside as one of the greatest catch and shoot players is about as deadly as they come.
Lets not forget in 3 yr primes......alvin was a 20 pt scorer.....aldrige in this match up gets more mins where hes a good scorer......world.b.free and Aguirre off the bench were top scorers.

I have 3 elite scorers and 4 elite defensive players in my starting linup....you said with wade on stock and george on peja that kareem is a lonely scorer....well

Stockton on Penny......Alvin on Wade.....Kareem on Alonzo.....Oakley on Dave.......that makes PG a very....very lonely scorer......not great for an all time.

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Seriously? You tell me this now?! Lol XD

Stockton can’t guard penny though dude. Period. Six inches, 30 lbs. Do you know what that looks like? That’s like Paul George or Penny guarding Kareem. No way. Here’s near broken down Penny with Kobe on him. https://youtu.be/GHHRb-rpKVk

Penny in the post. https://youtu.be/oFeKztT3s-U
Stockton has nobody to guard on my team. He’s too small.

Alvin 20 pt when? His best year 19.6 pts. 475 efg%. His second best year? 17.7 pts on .471 efg % please tell me you’re joking when you say he’s a 20 pt player. Not on his best day and definitely not in an all time game. His advanced stats are hot garbage. 3 obpm or worse every year of his career. Dave Debusschere averged 18.1 pts at 46% efg lol. Alvin and Dave are nearly the same caliber of scorer! Lol.

And Peja? Great… catch and shoot. Cause Paul George can’t stand and guard… He has no reason to ever leave peja. And Peja is gonna have a hell of a time separating on his own.

Alvin on Wade? Show me one head to head in the history of his career that made wade an ineffectual scorer? 21.9 pts career against Chris Paul. 22.3 on Kidd. 20.8 on Rondo. 24.3 pts against Kobe. I mean seriously guys. You have to have a guy like Alvin on Wade but that doesn’t mean a guy like Alvin erases Wade. Even if he had Jordan, Kobe, Alvin Robertson, and Gary Payton rotating on him he’d still be the second best scoring player in this series.

Stockton is an elite scorer though? His peak is sub 20. Lol. Peja’s is barely over 20. And you’re gonna bring in Aguirre like he’ll save your day? Great, then you’ll have TWO players with a negative DBPM for THEIR ENTIRE CAREER lol. Let alone just their peaks.

You have some great defenders who suck on offense in an all time league. A couple of great offensive guys who suck abysmally on defense. A low volume scorer who can’t beat any of my wings off the dribble. And Kareem.
If Alvin gets ANY love guarding wade. Alonzo needs to get some guarding Kareem. What are there 5 to 7 guys in the whole league here who are better suited to guard Kareem? What the hell does it take?

I feel like a team of grown men playing a bunch of high school sized guys in this match up... My point guard is closer in weight to his Center than his point guard is to my point guard! And I'm the faster team! Bigger, faster, stronger.

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Head to head gainst shaq Alonzo averaged more points a game than Peja did in his 3 year peak. Almost as much as Peja’s best single season. 23 vs 24.6 pts. Play just against shaq… Bellamy, against Russell, Wilt, and Thurmond averaged more points a game then Peja in his peak vs the regular nba.

Paul George looks like a lonely scorer? I can get points anywhere against anyone. Even Dave Debusschere is more dangerous against Oakley who is way slower than Alvin is against Penny, Rose, or definitely Wade. World B. Free or Aquirre is going to guard Rose? Who the hell guards Larry Johnson? He’s going to run over your SF’s like a wrecking ball. And Blow by your Pf’s like they’re standing still.

https://youtu.be/hGQVMBib4kk (1:25 for the blow by)
Come on man.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2017, 09:07 PM
What is the score? On my phone...

Lakers + Giants
06-26-2017, 09:14 PM
9-4 Jon

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 09:18 PM
8-5 actually. Valade said he accidently voted the wrong team.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2017, 09:25 PM
Penny and PG are long fast and can jump. Stockton and Peja can dribble shoot and pass. It feels like athletes vs execution. Then you have to decide which stud defender (alvin or zo) would do a better job against the top scorer (wade vs kareem). This matchup is interesting because it is larger than just this series. Its a style debate.

Lakers + Giants
06-26-2017, 09:30 PM
8-5 actually. Valade said he accidently voted the wrong team.

True, true.

Dunkapolooza
06-26-2017, 09:45 PM
True Knicks. Its a great match up philosophically. Though I would argue that my team is more skilled than his team is athletic. Penny had a great spin move and excellent handles for a 6'7. Wade too. both their midrange jumpers are efficient enough to keep their efg% over 50. Penny could even shoot threes at +30%. I mean its more likely Penny has a good shooting night then Stockton suddenly becomes 6'5 or 200 lbs.

So stylistically I think I can dominate this series my way and keep pace with him his way should I need to.

Who on his team guards Larry Johnson? Paul George? Is Aldridge or even Oakley going to do better against Bellamy than Wilt, Russell, or Thurmond? Against them in his peak Bells has better numbers in volume and efficiency - against those HOF - than Aldridge against the weak post defenders in the regular NBA today.

Alonzo even averaged 20 plus points against shaq. Is Kareem going to blank Alonzo when shaq couldn't? I can get 20 points on any given nights from Wade or Zo or Penny; and Paul George has a cake match up. Who on his team has a cake match up? Rose can score against elite defenders too.

What's he got? Is anyone on his team not playing an elite defender, and/or a superior physical specimen? Anyone?

Redrum187
06-26-2017, 11:14 PM
True Knicks. Its a great match up philosophically. Though I would argue that my team is more skilled than his team is athletic. Penny had a great spin move and excellent handles for a 6'7. Wade too. both their midrange jumpers are efficient enough to keep their efg% over 50. Penny could even shoot threes at +30%. I mean its more likely Penny has a good shooting night then Stockton suddenly becomes 6'5 or 200 lbs.

So stylistically I think I can dominate this series my way and keep pace with him his way should I need to.

Who on his team guards Larry Johnson? Paul George? Is Aldridge or even Oakley going to do better against Bellamy than Wilt, Russell, or Thurmond? Against them in his peak Bells has better numbers in volume and efficiency - against those HOF - than Aldridge against the weak post defenders in the regular NBA today.

Alonzo even averaged 20 plus points against shaq. Is Kareem going to blank Alonzo when shaq couldn't? I can get 20 points on any given nights from Wade or Zo or Penny; and Paul George has a cake match up. Who on his team has a cake match up? Rose can score against elite defenders too.

What's he got? Is anyone on his team not playing an elite defender, and/or a superior physical specimen? Anyone?

You hit some points I didn't think about. I like your fighting spirit in this. I've not seen Jon effectively refute anything you've said so far.

Dunkapolooza
06-27-2017, 04:14 AM
Thanks man. I appreciate that. I hope everyone knows that’s all in good spirits. I just get excited and fiery but I mean it with a smile. Without everyone else here putting in the time we couldn't have this game.

I have more numbers here too though.

Head to head Stockton and Penny during the 3-year peak Penny (94-97). During which Stockton went to three all star games. A first, second, and third All NBA team. Second because Penny went to the first team. And Penny was on the same 3rd team nba. He was also 2x all defensive teams in that span. Those years started the Jazz’s greatest team success, going to 2 of three WCF. Two years in a row after that the Jazz went to the Finals. This was not John’s most prolific scoring years but it was still within his prime.

Penny: 20.2 pts, 7.2 -14.8 fga, 1.2-3.2 3pa, 4.6-6.6 fta, 5.6 reb, 7 ast, 1.6 stl, .33 blk, 2.2 to, 2 fl.
Stockton: 16.4 pts, 6.8-12.6 fga, 1.4-2.6 3pa, 1.4-1.8 fta, 3.2 reb, 14 ast, 3.2 stl, .67 blk, 2.8 to, 2.6 fl

Penny still has low turnovers so obviously Stockton wasn’t feasting on him. And if not, who exactly is he taking the ball from? Anfernee still shoots with decent efficiency. About 49% fg and 375% from three. He out rebounds Stockton which is key to my strategy matching Kareem. And he outscores him overall.

I know Jon’s team looks like perfect compliments with his superb niche guys. He’s got great fit, and John Stockton with Kareem looks awesome. I simply have more favorable match up everywhere else but Kareem. Against Alonzo. Not some pushover.

Just wish I had been able to get all the stats and stuff out there before so many votes

Dunkapolooza
06-27-2017, 04:17 AM
Not that it is helping me in the polls. :clap:

KnicksorBust
06-27-2017, 08:04 AM
You hit some points I didn't think about. I like your fighting spirit in this. I've not seen Jon effectively refute anything you've said so far.

I agree. Obviously the Kareem advantage is so valuable... but Zo was just absolutely incredible defensively. One of the strongest and most athletic C's to match-up with Kareem. Penny-Wade-PG are just so filthy in a fastbreak. Run-Run-Run. Peja can't keep up and Stockton/Alvin don't have the size to contest at the rim. I'm going Dunka

Dunkapolooza
06-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Anyone feel like changing their vote? Lol. Come on people I need just a couple more!

Redrum187
06-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Not that it is helping me in the polls. :clap:

I think it's definitely helped you. :)

Dunkapolooza
06-27-2017, 04:26 PM
I think it's definitely helped you. :)

Right on! There we go RR. Making a comeback.

https://youtu.be/RN8dJ-tYu5k Eye test. Stockton stopping that?

https://youtu.be/iMXF9QOd1BE Bellamy needs love.

Lakers + Giants
06-27-2017, 08:10 PM
Sorry Jon, best team you ever assembled you were upset right away. Wow...

Dunkapolooza
06-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Penny vs Michael Jordan head to head during his 3-year peak. 24.5 pts // .475% fg // 6.875 3pa //.436 3pt% // .756 ft% // 7.28 fta // 3.375 reb // 3.25 ast // 3 stl // 0.5 blk // 2.375 TO – again really low turnovers against competition that was known for getting a lot of steals. He got to the line a pretty good amount. And still shot decently from the field and +40% from 3 M.J. and the bulls was giving him so much space. During the head to heads MJ averaged 26.875 and 42 fg%. Penny will win head up one on one ball with Stockton. He did in real life

"Penny: 20.2 pts, 7.2 -14.8 fga, 1.2-3.2 3pa, 4.6-6.6 fta, 5.6 reb, 7 ast, 1.6 stl, .33 blk, 2.2 to, 2 fl.
Stockton: 16.4 pts, 6.8-12.6 fga, 1.4-2.6 3pa, 1.4-1.8 fta, 3.2 reb, 14 ast, 3.2 stl, .67 blk, 2.8 to, 2.6 fl"

And Stockton has nobody but Kareem and Peja infested with Alonzo and Paul George to pass to. Head to head Wade averaged over 20 against every great defender in his day. How much does Robertson have to shut him down to outscore wade? If Mj can't stop Penny, Stockton isn't going to shut him down either. I have a scoring advantage at every other position on the floor.

Even my bench, with Rose and Larry Johnson averaging over 20 pts per game in their peak and Bellamy averaged more than Aguirre in their peaks.

The only place he can outscore me is Kareem - and even then Alonzo averaged 24 head to head against Shaq in his peak and Bellamy averaged 24 against Wilt, Russell, and Thurmond in his peak.

KnicksorBust
06-27-2017, 11:46 PM
Score?

valade16
06-28-2017, 12:23 AM
Score?

10-9 Jon currently.

valade16
06-28-2017, 01:44 PM
We need a tie breaking vote!

KnicksorBust
06-28-2017, 04:55 PM
We need a tie breaking vote!

Post the other matchups and repost this one for 24 hours?

valade16
06-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Post the other matchups and repost this one for 24 hours?

No need, someone voted and broke the tie.

By 1 vote (11-10), Jon wins.

Dunkapolooza
06-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Man that's bull. I haven't heard one seriously thought out argument for why I don't blow this team out. Kareem as the dominate c in the league won one title before magic and he's supposed to win an all time series by himself? Nobody else on his team will even sniff 20. I got at least 5 players that averaged 20 pts a game against greater or equal defensive talent as he can field. He's only got 3 starters that averaged 20 pts against the regular league.

My third best scorer averaged more points against Jordan than his 2nd best scorer did against the average nba. And he's facing all defense. My center against shaq, and my back up center against bill wilt and Thurmond averaged more a game than everyone on his whole team but one against the regular nba.

Wtf

This isn't a team game. We should just give the title to whoever has the best c I guess.

Dunkapolooza
06-28-2017, 05:42 PM
This is me moping. Lol

KnicksorBust
06-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Man that's bull. I haven't heard one seriously thought out argument for why I don't blow this team out. Kareem as the dominate c in the league won one title before magic and he's supposed to win an all time series by himself? Nobody else on his team will even sniff 20. I got at least 5 players that averaged 20 pts a game against greater or equal defensive talent as he can field. He's only got 3 starters that averaged 20 pts against the regular league.

My third best scorer averaged more points against Jordan than his 2nd best scorer did against the average nba. And he's facing all defense. My center against shaq, and my back up center against bill wilt and Thurmond averaged more a game than everyone on his whole team but one against the regular nba.

Wtf

This isn't a team game. We should just give the title to whoever has the best c I guess.

People never learn. Kareem MJ Hakeem etc need to go for a premium. They are like 8 for 8 in my experience. Stars win.

Dunkapolooza
06-29-2017, 01:22 PM
Yeah. Which is garbage. How are these guys gonna pretend like they know basketball? Kareem never won a title or was even a championship threat during some of the weakest years in the NBA lol. That only changed when he was paired with a group 1 kind of pg. Magic and Oscars are both better then stockton. And somehow stockton and Kareem are going to carry an all time team? It's a joke and an embarrassment.