PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Griffin and Paul opting out

mrblisterdundee
06-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Blake Griffin and Chris Paul are both opting out of the last year of their contracts, becoming unrestricted free agents July 1:

Blake Griffin has opted out of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, sources told ESPN.
Chris Paul also intends to opt out but is waiting until the last day he can, June 29, to make it official, sources said.
- Chris Haynes and Jeff Goodman, ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19720721/blake-griffin-opts-los-angeles-clippers-contract-chris-paul-too)

TrueFan420
06-23-2017, 06:24 PM
Let it begain!!!!

KB24PG16
06-23-2017, 06:26 PM
:yawn: is this news to anyone?

FlashBolt
06-23-2017, 06:33 PM
Free agents opting out when the NBA is handing $30+ million per season. Who knew...

mrblisterdundee
06-23-2017, 11:28 PM
:yawn: is this news to anyone?

Just making it official. ESPN found it important enough for a breaking news item.

Bostonjorge
06-24-2017, 02:15 AM
If Paul signs for the max he makes $46 million the final year of his contract. $205 million total for 5 years. I don't see him walking away form that.

rhino17
06-24-2017, 02:47 AM
Blake would be perfect in Houston

ewing
06-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Nvm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerHouse
06-24-2017, 09:21 AM
ESPN found it important enough

:shrug::yawn:

MrfadeawayJB
06-24-2017, 09:32 AM
These new salary figures are ridiculous

Mr.B
06-24-2017, 10:47 AM
If they want to make another super team and want the best shot at a ring they should both go to San Antonio.

mightybosstone
06-24-2017, 10:48 AM
If they want to make another super team and want the best shot at a ring they should both go to San Antonio.

Pretty sure they don't have the cap room to pull that off. I doubt there's a team in the league outside of the Clippers that could.

Hopper15
06-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Blake would be perfect in Houston

I've heard they are chasing Chris Paul. That would be an awful fit. Paul and Harden need the ball in their hands.

mrblisterdundee
06-24-2017, 11:44 AM
I'd really love to see Paul run the show for one of these younger teams. He'd kill with Minnesota, Milwaukee or Utah if they keep Hayward.

kdspurman
06-24-2017, 11:46 AM

I saw a tweet that Blake was trying to get away from CP3 lol. Idk how true, but I wouldn't doubt it. Gotta see if I can find it again

IndyRealist
06-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Pretty sure they don't have the cap room to pull that off. I doubt there's a team in the league outside of the Clippers that could.

If they renounce Pau and trade Aldridge and Green, they're $54m under the cap. Realistically, they trade Green, keep Aldridge, and just go after Paul. There's isn't a huge difference between LMA and BG.

Cracka2HI!
06-24-2017, 08:47 PM
I can't imagine CP3 leaving that money on the table. I do think Blake Griffin could leave. In fact I might say there is a better chance he leaves than stays. I put myself in both their shoes. If I'm CP3 and 32 I don't leave $52 million on the table no matter how much I want a ring. The fact he probably can't win a ring unless he takes the MLE to come off the bench for Golden State helps the Clippers cause. With Blake I would leave and go to Boston. The only things that comforts me there is I would also go to Boston if I were Gordon Hayward. If I were Boston I would prefer Hayward obviously. If I were Blake and I couldn't go to Boston I'd probably re-sign.

Either way I'm not concerned if either leave. If CP3 leaves we don't pay a 37 year old $46 mil his last year. I have a feeling Melo is coming on board regardless of what happens with the free agents. I almost think the team would be better off letting Blake walk if they bring in Melo. The LeBron dream has some legs if you let Blake walk. The team would be bare bones besides CP3 headed into 2018 Free Agency. The Clipps would have Melo, DJ and Rivers as Free Agents of their own that summer. It would be tough to make it work and some players cough cough Melo cough cough Rivers would have to take less money to keep it together. As crazy over the cap as The Clippers are I think they could actually have enough cap to sign LeBron and even add Melo and keep DJ by next off-season. They would have to let Blake walk for that to be a possibility. I'm not sure keeping Blake gives you a better chance at a Title than a Banana Boat pipe dreams does.

Mr.B
06-25-2017, 02:32 AM
I saw a tweet that Blake was trying to get away from CP3 lol. Idk how true, but I wouldn't doubt it. Gotta see if I can find it again

They both gave a really a big FU to Deandre, haha! Both Paul and Blake need to think about their legacy. They have the money. If they want to be in the debate for best of all time at their positions they need a ring. They're at a point when they need to consider making WAY less than the max if they want to be remembered as an all time great.

Their best shot would be for both to take whatever it takes to sign with the Spurs. Paul, Leonard, and. Lake would actually be pretty formidable. Especially with Pop coaching.

Jeffy25
06-25-2017, 02:46 AM
I have to assume one of them is coming back to LAC

I would love to see one of them in BOS or SAS just to help create more chaos at the top of the league.

The leagues parity blows ***.

But imagine Bos or SAS getting one of them?
GSW, CLE, BOS, SAS, MIN would all be elite, top of the league title contenders (GSW still the leading choice). With Hou, OKC, Tor, Was, and a few others sticking around as potential improvers.

And then the bottom of the league nowhere near contention.

da ThRONe
06-25-2017, 07:12 AM
This will really tell how important winning is to both more specifically Paul. Ideally they should both go back and leave the Clippers enough cap space to try and sign another quality player.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Blake very risky for a super max deal. He's averaging only 55 games on average per season last 3 years.

Scoots
06-25-2017, 03:29 PM
If they renounce Pau and trade Aldridge and Green, they're $54m under the cap. Realistically, they trade Green, keep Aldridge, and just go after Paul. There's isn't a huge difference between LMA and BG.

Are you assuming they trade all that and bring no money back in in those trades?