PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Minny to test the Wiggins-market?

JasonJohnHorn
06-23-2017, 10:21 AM
With Butler on the roster, and a hole at point guard, it seems like the T-Wolves may have one too many All-Star caliber wing players. Wiggins has shown marked improvement and is likely seen favourably by most GMs. He's not forcing his way out, and he's on a rookie contract. All pluses that make him valuable and give the T-Wolves leverage.

It seems clear that Townes and Butler will be soaking up a lot of the shots, and Wiggins may regress if he's not getting as many touches, so should the T-Wolves look at other options? A trade that packages Wiggins up with Rubio and brings in D&3 wing with a higher quality PG who isn't the worst shooter in the league (even if he is a great passer and defender)?

I think this team would benefit most from a quality PG at this point. A vet with some proven leadership skills. CP3 would be the best fit in my mind, but he likely isn't an option.

Any other guys who would fit in well there? If only John Stockton, Steve Nash, or Jason Kidd were still 28.

hugepatsfan
06-23-2017, 10:29 AM
LaVine and Dunn were their SGs (Rubio and Tyus Jones the PGs). So it feels like they're just going to slot JB into that spot (maybe he goes to SF with Wiggins at SG but that's really inconsequential). I don't see a trade.

if they did though, I think DEN is interesting. Lots of pieces to move and they could really fill out MIN's roster for them. But I don't think you move Wiggins now.

WaDe03
06-23-2017, 10:46 AM
No

Hawkeye15
06-23-2017, 10:53 AM
LaVine and Dunn were their SGs (Rubio and Tyus Jones the PGs). So it feels like they're just going to slot JB into that spot (maybe he goes to SF with Wiggins at SG but that's really inconsequential). I don't see a trade.

if they did though, I think DEN is interesting. Lots of pieces to move and they could really fill out MIN's roster for them. But I don't think you move Wiggins now.

Butler or Wiggins can just slide to SG.

I am not high in Wiggins, I think he is a volume scorer who doesn't rebound, distribute, or defend. But, with the pressure gone to be our wing defender, and the ball out of his hands in isolations that will go to Butler, perhaps Andrew can learn from Butler.

I don't think Wiggins (hell I KNOW) will ever be a star, but he could at least round out into a good 3rd option on a really good team. The fact that Wolves fans woke up today with Rubio/Wiggins still on the roster and Jimmy Butler added, is a huge win.

hugepatsfan
06-23-2017, 10:54 AM

I am not high in Wiggins, I think he is a volume scorer who doesn't rebound, distribute, or defend. But, with the pressure gone to be our wing defender, and the ball out of his hands in isolations that will go to Butler, perhaps Andrew can learn from Butler.

I don't think Wiggins (hell I KNOW) will ever be a star, but he could at least round out into a good 3rd option on a really good team. The fact that Wolves fans woke up today with Rubio/Wiggins still on the roster and Jimmy Butler added, is a huge win.

What would you want from BOS for Wiggins?

mrblisterdundee
06-23-2017, 11:02 AM

Agreed. See how it works out. But one thing Butler doesn't help a lot with is shooting. He's decent from behind the arc, but Minnesota needs players to stretch the floor. It's going to get crowded with Butler, Wiggins and Towns all trying to operate in the post.
Denver does have some nice pieces, albeit at shooting guard, which is where I think Butler should play. It they did slot Butler at small forward, Harris would fit perfectly at shooting guard. One intriguing option is Galinari, who's becoming an unrestricted free agent. He'd fit great at small forward in Minnesota, but how much would you offer a guy with such health concerns?

pacofunk64
06-23-2017, 11:05 AM
I thought Wiggins was considered a lock down defender or at very least a very good defender? That's what I keep hearing anyways.

I also say no to moving him.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-23-2017, 11:08 AM
I have to admit I haven't seen a ton of Wiggin's game, but I'm curious to know how spacing will work with Rubio/Butler/Wiggins in the backcourt. They don't seem to have too many shooters on the team.

Lloyd Christmas
06-23-2017, 11:10 AM

What would you like the wolves to do next with their roster?

Hawkeye15
06-23-2017, 11:23 AM
What would you like the wolves to do next with their roster?

add a PF, and shooting. Depending on what they do with Rubio, will dictate where we go next. But for sure a starting PF, and shooting. We now need a backup PG, unless Thib's think Tyus can hold it down. I don't..

tp13baby
06-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Agreed. See how it works out. But one thing Butler doesn't help a lot with is shooting. He's decent from behind the arc, but Minnesota needs players to stretch the floor. It's going to get crowded with Butler, Wiggins and Towns all trying to operate in the post.
Denver does have some nice pieces, albeit at shooting guard, which is where I think Butler should play. It they did slot Butler at small forward, Harris would fit perfectly at shooting guard. One intriguing option is Galinari, who's becoming an unrestricted free agent. He'd fit great at small forward in Minnesota, but how much would you offer a guy with such health concerns?

Sign and Trade Gallo to a division rival? Personally think Wiggins is better I don't know. One thing for sure no longer Wiggins would be an ISO player.

GREATNESS ONE
06-23-2017, 11:55 AM
No. You see what you have with Wiggins/Butler/Towns

Storch
06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
No. They should make some cap space and sign cp3 and go for it.

LA4life24/8
06-23-2017, 12:09 PM
I cant believe they got butler w.o giving up wiggins...

Love got wiggins a few years ago and now butler cant get wiggins?

Boogie went for a half bag a chips
Butler went for a half bag of chips and a swig of a soda

Hopin lakers can get pg13 for half bag of chips swig of a soda and a bite of a sammich

KnicksorBust
06-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Against the Warriors you want all the athletic wings you can get. Wiggins / Butler is a great start.

FlashBolt
06-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Against the Warriors you want all the athletic wings you can get. Wiggins / Butler is a great start.

Yeah, and Rubio is a pretty darn good defender who has given Curry problems offensively. This Minny team matches up REALLY well vs the Warriors. They just need improvements on the bench. They have the salary to get some pretty good players. Maybe trade Cole Aldrich, though.

GoferKing_
06-23-2017, 12:47 PM
So far Wiggins can just score, he is a poor defender, passer, etc. His numbers do not translate into wins. He does not have great value.

FlashBolt
06-23-2017, 12:50 PM
So far Wiggins can just score, he is a poor defender, passer, etc. His numbers do not translate into wins. He does not have great value.

It's called player development. He's young enough to develop most of what you're saying he can't do. Great value? He's getting paid $7.5 million.. that's some darn good value to me. I'd trade anyone on OKC not named RWB for the guy.

DanG
06-23-2017, 01:10 PM
They shouldn't even consider trading Wiggins. They have their main core set, now it's time to put the right pieces around them.

I hope they don't overpay Millsap, Lowry or something like that.

Ilyasova and Mills seem like some good fits.

If LeBron leaves next season, they should go and try to get Kyrie Irving who would be perfect.

Kyrie
Wiggins
Butler
Stretch 4
KAT

shiet.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-23-2017, 01:17 PM
For what?

He's on a rookie deal and they need someone to age with Towns as Towns develops into a top 10 player. He may not be a superstar but you don't need to gamble on another superstar when Towns is already there. Building around Towns is good enough.

Hawkeye15
06-23-2017, 01:20 PM
They shouldn't even consider trading Wiggins. They have their main core set, now it's time to put the right pieces around them.

I hope they don't overpay Millsap, Lowry or something like that.

Ilyasova and Mills seem like some good fits.

If LeBron leaves next season, they should go and try to get Kyrie Irving who would be perfect.

Kyrie
Wiggins
Butler
Stretch 4
KAT

shiet.

for our roster, give me Rubio over Irving. We don't need a guy dribbling the air out of the ball and not guarding anyone, points scored won't be our problem.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Wolves will go after Lowry I bet.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2017, 01:28 PM
No. They should go after milsap or Ibaka in FA

Chronz
06-23-2017, 01:29 PM
It's called player development. He's young enough to develop most of what you're saying he can't do. Great value? He's getting paid $7.5 million.. that's some darn good value to me. I'd trade anyone on OKC not named RWB for the guy.
Maybe but you gotta admit that of the highly touted phenoms of years past, wiggins is clearly the worst in those areas

FlashBolt
06-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Wolves will go after Lowry I bet.

I'm surprised there is a market for him.. he's going to disappoint. I'm not sure how you feel about it but the guy is unreliable when the playoffs roll.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-23-2017, 01:32 PM
I'm surprised there is a market for him.. he's going to disappoint. I'm not sure how you feel about it but the guy is unreliable when the playoffs roll.

Yea, I could move on from him but we don't really have much of an option. Cory Joseph would be our starting PG and we would have no cap to sign anyone. Maybe signing him and then trading him will work.

FlashBolt
06-23-2017, 01:32 PM
Maybe but you gotta admit that of the highly touted phenoms of years past, wiggins is clearly the worst in those areas

If he's just going to give you scoring, that's damn near enough. look at Klay. The guy just defends and scores. Wiggins gets paid $7.5 million and is an offensive threat out there. He might not be a playmaker and needs to work on his defense but with Butler there, Wiggins role changes and he'll be forced to play defense now. I think Thibs knew Minny was still a developing team and wanted Wiggins to work on his offensive game first. We're probably going to see Minny become a better defensive team by next season. Butler and Rubio is one of the better defensive backcourts. We're paying Oladipo $20 or so million and he does just about the same thing.. a better shooter and maybe playmaker but that's what guys who can score 20 ppg will command these days.

Hawkeye15
06-23-2017, 01:44 PM

he is. At this point, I am hoping Butler can help him learn Thib's defense, and he can just score the ball and defend. But he isn't going to be a star. Hell no

crewfan13
06-23-2017, 02:06 PM
I wasn't never super high on Wiggins and thought he was always going to be more of a role player than a stud. But I don't see the purpose of moving him now. The butler move is exciting, but there's not any moves they are going to make this year to overtake golden state, so why not see what you have with a butler/Wiggins/ towns core.

Rubio is the interesting peice. I could see them keeping him. If they don't, I could see George hill being an interesting target for the point. He's a little older than you'd like and is allegedly asking for way too much money, but his style might be a really good fit.

Bostonjorge
06-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Wiggins is still to young. Okc had KD, Westbrook and harden and they missed the playoffs. The next season they got the 8th seed. Then they ran thru the west the next season.

It takes time to develop and win with a young team. Way to early to give up on Wiggins. Wiggins also has a veteran to lean form like KAT did with KG his rookie year.

Ty Fast
06-23-2017, 02:39 PM
I wouldnt

Oefarmy2005
06-23-2017, 02:51 PM
I would, if we think the Knicks would bite on Wiggins,Dieng+1st for KP and Melo's contract.
PG: Rubio
SG: Butler
SF: Melo
PF: KP
C: Towns

I think that's pretty balanced offense/defense with improved shooting. Don't think that's enough to get KP from the Knicks though, even though Wiggins could work really well under Jackson.

Lloyd Christmas
06-23-2017, 06:52 PM
add a PF, and shooting. Depending on what they do with Rubio, will dictate where we go next. But for sure a starting PF, and shooting. We now need a backup PG, unless Thib's think Tyus can hold it down. I don't..

Would trade starting with Wiggins for Aldridge make any sense?

Raps18-19 Champ
06-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Man would I love to see Wiggins in SAS. Wolves wouldn't do that though.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2017, 08:08 PM
I would, if we think the Knicks would bite on Wiggins,Dieng+1st for KP and Melo's contract.
PG: Rubio
SG: Butler
SF: Melo
PF: KP
C: Towns

I think that's pretty balanced offense/defense with improved shooting. Don't think that's enough to get KP from the Knicks though, even though Wiggins could work really well under Jackson.

No ****ing shot st that happening LMFAO did you see the price for KP.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Would trade starting with Wiggins for Aldridge make any sense?

Gross for the wolves

Heediot
06-23-2017, 08:34 PM
Wolves should add more shooting. Mirotic would be a nice addition.

Monta is beast
06-23-2017, 08:35 PM
Wiggins for Mccollum

Monta is beast
06-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Add Dieng

TheDish87
06-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Yeah, and Rubio is a pretty darn good defender who has given Curry problems offensively. This Minny team matches up REALLY well vs the Warriors. They just need improvements on the bench. They have the salary to get some pretty good players. Maybe trade Cole Aldrich, though.

they get swept by the Warriors

IKnowHoops
06-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Wiggins will be a star. I've seen it.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-23-2017, 09:34 PM
Trade Wiggins for Love just for the hell of it.

D-Leethal
06-23-2017, 10:18 PM

You a Rubio fan now?

Hawkeye15
06-23-2017, 10:28 PM
I think Rubio has his clear faults. He does have control of the team, was exponentially better as a scoring threat the 2nd half, and for what he makes, amd what we need of him, he is the best option we have.

He might very well hold us back come playoffs. But he might lead a high powered offense too.

Need to add shooters to really get the benefit of his drive and find ability.

IKnowHoops
06-23-2017, 10:50 PM
I'm not trading Wigg/Towns/Butler.

I'm trying to acquire Bron and PG13. Those are the only players in my sights.

The rest of the team is on the trading Block

In in win now mode. I am absolutely trying to beat GS next season.

Hopper15
06-23-2017, 11:00 PM
I don't think Wiggins and Butler complement each other that well. They're too ball dominant and you still have to get KAT his shots.

Twolves88
06-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Give them time to figure it out. IF wiggins shows more improvement his stock will skyrocket. If not maybe he buys in and becomes a good third option. With rubio everyone will get the ball in optimal positioning. I think this year will be his breakout offensive year and puts him on the map.

JasonJohnHorn
06-24-2017, 12:37 AM
Trade Wiggins for Love just for the hell of it.

No trade backs! ;-)

Hustla23
06-24-2017, 12:57 AM
Minny need to trade Wiggins. He's a terrible fit next to Butler.

If I were Minny, I'd do Wiggins for Monk straight up.

Rubio
Monk
Butler
Dieng
KAT

Excellent mix of inside and out, as well as a decent amount of shooting.

Twolves88
06-24-2017, 01:05 AM
Minny need to trade Wiggins. He's a terrible fit next to Butler.

If I were Minny, I'd do Wiggins for Monk straight up.

Rubio
Monk
Butler
Dieng
KAT

Excellent mix of inside and out, as well as a decent amount of shooting.
Why would we trade wiggins for a worse shorter, skinnier version of himself?

In all honestly Mccollum from the blazers makes a ton of sense. However, I'm sure both teams hold their own players in a much higher regard that would make it impossible for this trade to go through

Raps18-19 Champ
06-24-2017, 02:07 AM
If you people really want to trade Wiggins, trade him for Jabari.

GoferKing_
06-24-2017, 03:29 AM

You are right, he is still developing, but so far, it is not going too good, that is why for me he does not have great value. Do not get me wrong, I would still trade for him, but I am not giving up anything significant for him.

Heediot
06-24-2017, 04:29 AM
Wiggins will be fine. His iq is what's slowing his progress, but he is a willing learner and worker so he'll keep getting better, it's just not at the rate people are expecting. He is still real young. You can't teach his athleticism and I think his game can translate in the playoffs. His defense will continue to get better.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-24-2017, 09:02 AM
If you people really want to trade Wiggins, trade him for Jabari.

Before Parker got injured Parker had the more impressive stats. Also playoff team. Wiggins posted a few monster games to inflate his stats. Parkers value is low cause of 2 ACL injuries so Milwaukee keeps Parker. Also I'm hoping Parker signs on as a discount kinda like glass ankles Curry did. That give the Bucks some wiggle room for a while. Cause Middleton's final year is a player option. So he most certainly opts out for the max. Plus we got dead weight contracts of Henson, Delly, Telly. Then pending RFA Snell. Moose will be a big expiring contract after this season.

hugepatsfan
06-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Before Parker got injured Parker had the more impressive stats. Also playoff team. Wiggins posted a few monster games to inflate his stats. Parkers value is low cause of 2 ACL injuries so Milwaukee keeps Parker. Also I'm hoping Parker signs on as a discount kinda like glass ankles Curry did. That give the Bucks some wiggle room for a while. Cause Middleton's final year is a player option. So he most certainly opts out for the max. Plus we got dead weight contracts of Henson, Delly, Telly. Then pending RFA Snell. Moose will be a big expiring contract after this season.

MIL seems in really great position to keep all their guys but pretty limited in what they can add because so much dead weight. By my quick sportscaster check you guys should be able to spend about $15M next year if you let Moose walk, wait to extend Parker, and dont re-sign Snell this year. Then after spending you go over the cap to extend Parker.

Problem is that takes you up close to the luxury tax because Parkers ~$25M extension would be about $17M over the cap hold he counts for to spend in FA first. Then the following year Middleton and Brogden are due for extensions. Then the following year Thon would be due for an extension.

With the dead weight all expiring over that spans you guys should be able to keep everyone but I don't see much room to add to the core. I think you guys will have to focus on developing and growing from within to make to the next level.

Vee-Rex
06-24-2017, 10:33 AM

I do like Jabari better than Wiggins.

If I were Minnesota I'd let it play out. See how Rubio/Butler/Wiggins play together. I don't think it's time to trade any of them but I'd definitely have my finger on the trade button for Rubio and Wiggins. Re-evaluate the situation come trade deadline.

mrblisterdundee
06-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Sign and Trade Gallo to a division rival? Personally think Wiggins is better I don't know. One thing for sure no longer Wiggins would be an ISO player.

Galinari's a free agent. He might be a weak rebounder, but he would really juice Minnesota's offense as a small-ball four, a la Rashard Lewis.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-24-2017, 01:24 PM
They need a good defender beside KAT. Not Gallo.

Hustla23
06-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Why would we trade wiggins for a worse shorter, skinnier version of himself?

In all honestly Mccollum from the blazers makes a ton of sense. However, I'm sure both teams hold their own players in a much higher regard that would make it impossible for this trade to go through

lol How is Wiggins anything like Monk? Monk is one of the best shooters in college bball history. Wiggins is a low efficiency volume scorer.

But then you want McCollum? Monk is a more athletic, better shooting version of McCollum.

Twolves88
06-24-2017, 02:12 PM
lol How is Wiggins anything like Monk? Monk is one of the best shooters in college bball history. Wiggins is a low efficiency volume scorer.

But then you want McCollum? Monk is a more athletic, better shooting version of McCollum.

Adam Morrison and buddy heild were great scorers in college. Wiggins was great in college. Hell even Sean May was good in college. My point is what the hell does college scoring prove in the nba were the rules are different and defense is much tougher?

Give me the proven asset over the skinny unproven rookie.

You dont go all after butler then trade a established(even if under preforming) Wiggins for a rookie.

If I have a choice I am taking CJ over Monk 99/100 and the one time I didn't I was on an all night bender.

Bostonjorge
06-24-2017, 02:37 PM
Only way you trade Wiggins is if your getting a unicorn in return.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-24-2017, 06:17 PM
Send him to the Raptors for Demar Derozan.

mrblisterdundee
06-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Send him to the Raptors for Demar Derozan.

You want Minnesota to trade Wiggins for his older, even worse-shooting future self? How does that even work financially?

mrblisterdundee
06-25-2017, 03:47 PM

I'm pretty sure they'd trade Wiggins for a good-enough 3-and-D player. He's turning into DeRozan, who's not as valuable as his massive contract would suggest.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-25-2017, 09:35 PM
You want Minnesota to trade Wiggins for his older, even worse-shooting future self? How does that even work financially?

Godrozen will destroy all in his path. Masai would go balls deep to get that African PF they have to make the cap even.

jneises21
06-25-2017, 10:33 PM
He's 22. He's already a stud and is only going to get better. Why would they get rid of him?

IKnowHoops
06-25-2017, 10:36 PM
He's 22. He's already a stud and is only going to get better. Why would they get rid of him?

Agreed, but he's almost a stud. Puts up stud games, but just doesn't have stud consistency. He's getting there. He will be a stud for whoever can wait for him to turn 24.

jneises21
06-25-2017, 10:42 PM
Agreed, but he's almost a stud. Puts up stud games, but just doesn't have stud consistency. He's getting there. He will be a stud for whoever can wait for him to turn 24.

True. But yeah, he was pretty raw coming out.. I don't see why his ceiling can't be higher than where Jimmy is at currently

You don't trade that guy before he hits his peak

Raps18-19 Champ
06-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Send him to the Spurs. Let him develop under Pops.

IKnowHoops
06-26-2017, 01:11 AM
True. But yeah, he was pretty raw coming out.. I don't see why his ceiling can't be higher than where Jimmy is at currently

You don't trade that guy before he hits his peak

Trust me bro, I'm right there with ya. I think these mofo's are crazy!

Leftcoast_yg
06-26-2017, 01:38 AM
The real question is whom do they got in the starting line up to spread the floor for Kat to operate in the paint? while having to share it with wiggins and butler who also need the paint to be open for them to operate? No shooters= double teams and zone defense's...? Rubio butler wiggins dieng kat are not 3pt threats.

IKnowHoops
06-26-2017, 03:28 AM
The real question is whom do they got in the starting line up to spread the floor for Kat to operate in the paint? while having to share it with wiggins and butler who also need the paint to be open for them to operate? No shooters= double teams and zone defense's...? Rubio butler wiggins dieng kat are not 3pt threats.

Wiggins can and will stretch the floor. KAT can stretch the floor. He's money from 16 feet and in, but he can shoot the three very well for a big.

The great thing is Wiggins is a veteran that is still younger than many rookies. He's physically going to become a man over the next three years so there will be huge gains from him as a player. He is going to be soning dudes physically.

Your overthinking this. They got serious top level talent in a Jimmy and KAT. They have two guys who are scratching the surface of there final potential and are improving every day for the next 3 years in KAT and Wigg. We got 3pt shooters on the bench. Wigg and KAT are both efficient from 3. We can find more in free agency. What you can't find is Jimmy.

Oefarmy2005
06-26-2017, 11:43 AM

This^ I'd trade him for Porzingis.

5ass
06-26-2017, 12:03 PM
I'd like to see them trade Rubio/Dieng for a Morris type, and go after Hill in FA.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-26-2017, 03:29 PM

Ibaka would be perfect for them.

Can stretch the floor and doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. Defense has slipped but would be a good fit beside KAT still.

Gotta think Ibaka is like 2-3 years older than advertised though.

Millsap would be good for them too but would cost more and is older.