PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft: Winners and Losers

shep33
06-23-2017, 12:21 AM
Who do ya'll think are the winners and losers of this draft?

lakerfan85
06-23-2017, 12:27 AM
T Wolves

eDush
06-23-2017, 12:39 AM
Who do ya'll think are the winners and losers of this draft?Your Lakers biggest losers by taking the most likely bust :nod:

Hustla23
06-23-2017, 12:40 AM
The Bulls are definitely the losers.

Gave away Butler for ACL torn Lavine, marginal prospect Dunn, and gave away their own pick so they can draft a Ryan Anderson who can't rebound.

More-Than-Most
06-23-2017, 12:41 AM
i dont like ball but i love the player the lakers picked with the nets pick.... the suns had an amazing day as did the mavs

winners-Suns/Mavs

Losers-

Celtics- Trading away fultz than taking tatum when JJ was there

Kings- Why the hell did they make that trade with the 10th pick.

Bulls- Gave away butler and tossed in a pick as well.. **** that

Knicks- Passed on DSJ for would will likely be a bust because he fits the triangle

ruckus16969
06-23-2017, 12:42 AM
Yup Minisotta Philly Boston and Phenix all did well

Silent
06-23-2017, 12:49 AM
winners Minny Celts Suns Philly
bums Bulls

KnickaBocka.44
06-23-2017, 12:49 AM
Bulls are the big losers

Disappointed in my Knicks

My second team, the Suns, were winners.

Minny is a 2nd round team next season. Big wins

I like what the Magic are doing, oddly.

How many fkn picks did the Jazz have?

Pretty boring draft considering the hype.

LA_Raiders
06-23-2017, 12:54 AM
Win: Wolves, mavs, Suns and clips.
Lose: bulls (no Vaseline), celts, ny, Kings

Aust
06-23-2017, 12:55 AM
TWolves winners for the trade
Bulls losers for the trade
Suns winners for Jackson falling to them

Scoots
06-23-2017, 01:13 AM
Bulls lose twice. The trade, then they sell a pick to the Warriors and are going to use the cash to pay for part of Wade's buyout so he can go to the Cavs.

So, I guess, Warriors win?

shep33
06-23-2017, 01:20 AM
Your Lakers biggest losers by taking the most likely bust :nod:

Who's your team?

lakerfan85
06-23-2017, 01:25 AM
Who's your team?

I think he has like 12 different ones..

Kyben36
06-23-2017, 02:21 AM
i dont like ball but i love the player the lakers picked with the nets pick.... the suns had an amazing day as did the mavs

winners-Suns/Mavs

Losers-

Knicks- Passed on DSJ for would will likely be a bust because he fits the triangle

JJ reportedly refused to work out with the celtics. sooooooooo.

chitownredbulls
06-23-2017, 02:29 AM

winners-Suns/Mavs

Losers-

Biggest loser=bulls
Biggest winners=wolves

Kings winners imo....made that trade to get 2 more first round prospects(both whom i like... Smith with size and shooting and Giles is small risk, very high reward)...they didn't need an undersized shooting guard (I'm assuming you think they should have drafted monk).... and fox fell right into their lap at 5... they are one of the biggest winners of this draft....

jaydubb
06-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Who's your team?
For him it changes depending on what team is favored to win the nba finals each year

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jaydubb
06-23-2017, 02:43 AM
Twolves winners for that trade

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

smith&wesson
06-23-2017, 03:06 AM
the Suns are winners.. Booker and Jackson will be a nice tandem.

The Wolves are obvious winners and arent done yet. They can still move Rubio and maybe sign Lowry.

The Celtics are losers (suprisingly) They could have had Butler straight up for the 3rd pick..Thomas Bradley Butler Horford Smart Crowder Brown Rozier had a chance to be special in the east. Now they will likely give up more than just the 3rd pick for a rental that can leave next year..

HeartOfStarks
06-23-2017, 03:17 AM

winners-Suns/Mavs

Losers-

I personally preferred DSJ over Frank as well, but I also can see the reasons why we may have chosen Frank.

I see you posting a decent amount in the Knicks forum, but honest question, and this isn't to be combative, but how many Knicks games do you actually watch a year?

Only asking cause I basically watch all of them, and I can tell you first hand, as much as you hear about Phil and the triangle etc in the media, our offensive issues are nothing compared to our defensive ones.

So before you preemptively label an 18 year old who is mid flight right now back to France to play in a championship game with grown men a "likely bust" I'd say you may want to actually watch more Knicks games before commenting on them like you have all the answers.

Again, I like DSJ too. But I'm guessing the Knicks realize the fact that if as a team you can't make stops pretty much ever, you're never going to win. And it's not like Frank is a defense only guy it seems. He potentially brings a lot on the offensive side as a high IQ, pass first PG who scouts say has excellent vision and a pretty solid shot.

Time will tell. I won't be shocked if DSJ and/or Monk end up superior to Frank, and of course that'll burn if it happens. But maybe hindsight will prove this pick right as well. We'll know in 2-4 years.

GoferKing_
06-23-2017, 03:21 AM
Kings did great. :)

goingfor28
06-23-2017, 03:26 AM
Wolves were huge winners. What a steal!

Philly of course for getting Fultz, hopefully all their promising young pieces finally start to show their potential after the long rebuild. They have a TON of young talent.

Kings did very good imo.

I think the Clippers did pretty well with the two guys they got as mid-late 2nd rounders too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

zn23
06-23-2017, 03:39 AM
Bulls probably fell in love with Zach Lavine and thought he could be the next Derrick Rose. But he's really a poor man's Rose (when Rose was in his prime). He's freakishly athletic, can shoot better than Rose but can't create off the dribble like Rose can and lacks playmaking ability. Not only that, but he plays horrific defense. The Bulls are going to be a bad team next year.

FOXHOUND
06-23-2017, 03:45 AM
Winners

Kings
Nets
Hornets
Jazz
Timberwolves
Bulls
76ers
Celtics
Lakers

Losers

Heat
Blazers
Nuggets

No particular order, other than bold being my most/least favorite.

TylerSL
06-23-2017, 03:54 AM
Winners
#1 Minnesota Timberwolves-Obviously the big winners of the draft are the T-Wolves with the Butler trade. KAT, Butler, and Wiggins give them a legitimate "Big 3" and Butler is the old one. Barring injury, Minny will be a strong playoff contender next year.

#2 Phoenix Suns-Josh Jackson at #4 is a huge get for them. Booker/Bledsoe/Knight/Jackson/Len/Chriss/Bender is an excellent young core. They can decide who they want to keep and package the others to fill out their roster when they are ready to compete.

#3 Sacramento Kings-The Kings sort of made out like kings in the draft. There is not four players better than De'Aaron Fox in this draft but he was still available at #5. Sacramento also flipped the #10 pick for Justin Jackson (#15) and Harry Giles (#20), the latter having top 5 potential if not for knee injuries suffered in High School. They got the draft right, now we'll see if they can somehow find a way not to screw this up (don't hold your breath).

Losers
#1 Chicago Bulls-Chicago is the only massive loser of this draft. They traded Jimmy Butler for 50 cents on the dollar, netting 0 picks in the trade by trading their own pick also. The trade was basically Butler and Patton for LaVine, Dunn, and Markkanen. Now they have this young core that won't be anywhere near close to winning while they are paying Dwyane Wade and Rajon Rondo over $37 million to trick fans into going to the United Center to watch that team play.

#2 Boston Celtics-Boston is a loser in this draft for two reasons, they once again failed to make a blockbuster trade with all their picks and they didn't take Jackson or Fox with the #3 pick. They failed to acquire either Jimmy Butler or Paul George in a package and when that didn't happen, they made the wrong selection with their pick. That said, Tatum will be a good player and the Celtics actually improved their roster tonight.

Other Notes
While not getting George may have been disappointing, adding Ball/Hart improves the Lakers.

Even though it was only for the triangle, Frank Ntilikina is a strong prospect who will probably turn out fine.

Miami took a bit of a chance on Bam Adebayo but he has strong recommendations from Coach Calipari. One of the more interesting picks of the night.

corky831
06-23-2017, 06:49 AM
Tatum will be a stud.....and we got an extra pick.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUc6n97gCaH/

Scoots
06-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Bulls probably fell in love with Zach Lavine and thought he could be the next Derrick Rose. But he's really a poor man's Rose (when Rose was in his prime). He's freakishly athletic, can shoot better than Rose but can't create off the dribble like Rose can and lacks playmaking ability. Not only that, but he plays horrific defense. The Bulls are going to be a bad team next year.

If Thibs can't get him to play D chances are it's not likely to change in Chicago. Lavine is incredibly talented ... just can't figure out what he's thinking ... maybe he's not.

TheDish87
06-23-2017, 08:29 AM
feels weird saying the Kings but i really like everything they did. im not high on Fox but putting him next to a shooter like Heild will be a solid pairing. They took all high character guys too which they desperately needed. Sixers also a winner for landing the best player in the draft who also fits perfectly with Simmons and Embiid.

Scoots
06-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Tatum will be a stud.....and we got an extra pick.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUc6n97gCaH/

Ainge isn't planning to go head to head with the Cavs ... he's building for the long haul ... but the Celtics are still a bunch of good players.

C-ross12
06-23-2017, 08:45 AM
1. Kings - Fox at 5 was who they wanted all along. The trade down at 10 was smart IMHO. They got the guy they wanted at 15 (Justin Jackson) all while adding a potential wild card in Giles. Frank Jackson will probably have a long career as a rotational guard in the NBA. A fine get in the second. I thought the trade down was sneaky good for them.

2. Timberwolves - Really did get the better of the deal with the Bulls. Added a big with potential (Patton). Turned Dunn, Lavine and Lauri into Butler and Patton. Well done.

3. Mavericks - I thought it turned out perfect for Cuban and Co. DSJ is everything they need right now. DSJ has every opportunity to be a star, and I have to imagine the Mavs couldn't turn that pick in quick enough. I actually thought this was the best pick any team could have made in the entire draft, when you account for fit, market ect ect.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Hornets ,warriors, Spurs ,twolves mavs suns won
Magics, bulls Knicks, lmao blazers lost

Jetsguy
06-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Great draft for the Kings them and Twolves for that trade (although I thought they made a bad pick with the Bulls pick TBH) are the big winners last night.

As always though, we have no ****ing clue who the real winners and losers will be for several years.

Green_Monster
06-23-2017, 09:23 AM

winners-Suns/Mavs

Losers-

The Celtics are losers for not drafting a player who they flew across country to workout and he cancelled? Welcome to PSD.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-23-2017, 09:40 AM
I'm happy with what the Knicks did. I'm one of the few who was on board with Frank for a while.

tp13baby
06-23-2017, 09:42 AM
The Celtics are losers for not drafting a player who they flew across country to workout and he cancelled? Welcome to PSD.

3 of his losers aren't losers in my opinion.

Bulls/Denver are the clear losers.

Winners Sactown, Minny, Philly.

BKLYNpigeon
06-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Warriors.

Paid 3.5m to the draft rights of Jordan Bell.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Only Yosef can claim the Kings as losers in this draft.

I've been very critical of Vlade as GM, but I can't complain about this draft. They got my favorite player in the draft (Fox) at #5 overall. He just fell into their laps. And then they go out and get 3 more kids who can all be solid NBA players in Justin Jackson (very productive player on NCAA championship team), Harry Giles (super elite prospect in HS who still has upside) and Mason (elite college player and competitor).

That is a productive draft to kick start the post-Cousins rebuild. And all those kids have good character unlike Cousins. It's too early to tell how this draft will play out, but it looks great on paper.

One last interesting tid bit... they drafted a player from Kentucky, UNC, Duke, and Kansas in this draft. Has that ever happened before?

mavwar53
06-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Warriors.

Paid 3.5m to the draft rights of Jordan Bell.

Bob Myers and the checkbook of Lacob strike again.

I love what Sac did as well, Justin Jackson is my personal favorite in this draft, not saying the best player but I think he has all star potential. He moves well without the ball from what I've seen, a very valuable quality in this ball dominated NBA. As long as he keeps improving his outside stroke he could be similar to Klay.

Lloyd Christmas
06-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Bob Myers and the checkbook of Lacob strike again.

I love what Sac did as well, Justin Jackson is my personal favorite in this draft, not saying the best player but I think he has all star potential. He moves well without the ball from what I've seen, a very valuable quality in this ball dominated NBA. As long as he keeps improving his outside stroke he could be similar to Klay.

If I was a kings fan I'd be pretty excited about their pieces at 1-4 after last night.

BKLYNpigeon
06-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Kings did a great job, got some high character guys.

Franchise is on the up, post Demarcus Cousins.

Yanks All Day
06-23-2017, 11:39 AM
The biggest winners of this draft are the Sacramento Kings:

1) They got 2 point guards out of the draft. De'Aaron Fox is going to be a stud in the NBA. Frank Mason isn't necessarily a starter, but he's going to be able to provide 8-10 quality minutes. Every team needs a backup PG.

2) Harry Giles might have been the #1 overall pick had he not gotten hurt in his senior year. He never got to show off his potential at Duke, and towards the end of the season, his athleticism began to show. If he's healthy, they just got a #1 overall caliber player at #20.

3) Justin Jackson is an athletic wing player who can score. He might be a bit of an NBA project, but he's got athleticism and can shoot. In other words, exactly what NBA teams are built around in the year 2017.

The Kings got 4 really good players with a ton of potential. They don't have any terrible deals on the books and will have a ton of cap space moving forward. Add that to Skal, Cauley-Stein, Hield, etc. and you've got a team full of young guns. Very Celtics-esque.

Next winner is obviously the T-Wolves. LaVine is hurt & not really a long-term building block. Dunn is a backup PG in the NBA. They didn't give up anything special for a top 15-20 player in the league who is under team control for 2 more years to pair with Thibs, Wiggins, KAT, and Rubio. T-Wolves are in great shape.

Final winner is the Warriors. They bought a pick at #38 and somehow might have made the best pick in the draft, given the team's "needs." They got an athletic big man who can run the floor and protect the rim. It's legitimately all the team needs (assuming the role players stand pat) and they BOUGHT that pick. It was an excellent move by the champions.

The losers of this draft are obviously the Chicago Bulls.

If that's the best offer they got for Jimmy Butler, then that tells me 29 other teams think Butler is nearly worthless. Considering that's certainly not the case, this seemed like a panic move to not give Butler to the Cavaliers or Celtics and concede the East for the next 5 years. Kevin Love is certainly better than LaVine and Dunn, and the Celtics could certainly have put a better package together. Butler was sold off for next-to-nothing.

Then they gave the Warriors a pick for $3.5 million, which will probably be put towards a buyout of Dwyane Wade. So they gave D-Wade a terrible deal a year ago, traded their best player for nothing, and then sold a draft pick to pay off that bad Wade contract. It was a total mess of a process, and Chicago has almost nothing notable to build on at the moment.

Greet
06-23-2017, 11:50 AM
*Disclaimer - This includes my own personal bias on players

Winners
*LaVar Ball - LaVar said Lonzo was going to be a Laker, and he is a Laker.

*Lakers - Ball, Kuzma, Hart in the first? That's a lot of talent. Love the Hart pick, any 4-year nova player will come in with certain poise and leadership already.

*Sixers - Fultz, Pasecniks in the 1st. They got their man Fultz and Pasecniks is a project, but has high upside. He's no Zingis, but a good value pick.

*Wolves - Jimmy Butler.... AND they got the #16 from the Bulls. Complete trade rape from TWolves side. Watch out for Justin Patton out of Creighton, he can ball. Needs to work on some things for sure, but a good prospect @ 16.

*Kings - When the Kings had Fox with #5, I thought they were going to pull the ultimate Kings move and take Monk at 10. Except they made an incredible trade to get pick 15 + 20. They did exactly what they needed to do this draft. Fox, Jackson, Giles? Kings definitely had a great draft

*Knicks - Three simple things: Didn't trade Porzingis, didn't fall for the Malik Monk hype, and got French Frank.

*Warriors - Going from 0 picks to acquiring Jordan Bell for cash was a great move. The rest of the NBA should be giving a big "**** you" to the Bulls for this one. Jordan is a defensive minded player, has the athleticism/length for the NBA. Who does he draw comparisons to? Draymond Green. Also - the Warriors keep following the model of not buying into the 1 and done hype, they love players who do a couple years at school.

Losers
*Social Media - Anyone see Fultz post that photo without adding in the blanks? Lmao, hilarious. Also in another social media 76ers news - Simmons and Embiid should stay quiet especially before either have proven to be real NBA players. Thats how you get a target on your back. Disrespectful on draft night.

*Bulls - Absolutely got rocked on that trade and then pick Lauri, doesn't make sense to me.

*Celtics - Drafted good players, but didn't make that big move that they should have. Heard they turned down #3 for Butler, that's tough.

*Blazers - Traded 15+20 to get pick 10. Collins is a good player but gave up way to much value.

*Cavaliers - Absolutely nothing. Their competitors got better and they still do nothing. They have been very quiet this off-season so far, and I don't believe they have a GM yet. If they don't pull the trigger on something soon, they could be in the "worst off-season" rankings.

LA4life24/8
06-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Winners:
Wolves,kings,suns

losers:
Bulls,knicks,celts blazers

FlashBolt
06-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Lakers are going to be fun to watch. I'm a fan.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Bucks been getting "A-" draft grades from a few sites.

PAOboston
06-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Winners: Philly, Boston, Charlotte, Sacramento, Minny

Losers: New York, Portland

Huge Losers: Chicago and it's fans

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

shep33
06-23-2017, 12:51 PM
One thing I'll say is that I liked the Kings draft but did not love it, simply because they could've had Fox and Monk. Giles is a huge question mark and I just don't see wheee he's gonna get minutes. Skal was great at the end of the year, still got WCS and Big Pappgiannis.

I just think Monk was the best player by far left on the board.

mgjohnson7851
06-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Denver is a huge loser. Not quite as big as the Bulls but still were incredibly stupid.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BKLYNpigeon
06-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Bulls are on the full rebuild.

Wade will get bought out towards the end of next season and will join the Cavs.

mightybosstone
06-23-2017, 02:07 PM
I was surprised to see the Kings listed as losers by some posters. Aside from the obvious winners (Minnesota), the Kings were the next team that came to mind. I loved the Fox pick, and I loved the decision to trade down to get two solid players in Jackson and Giles, who is a gamble but has crazy potential. And Mason was maybe considered a reach by some early in the second, but he should at least be a solid rotational player in the NBA.

This has the potential to easily be the best Kings draft since Cousins. I think at least two of those guys could end up being at least borderline all-stars.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-23-2017, 02:08 PM

winners-Suns/Mavs

Losers-

Kings had a good draft.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Raptors had a good draft.

Chronz
06-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Clips had a great draft

warfelg
06-23-2017, 04:06 PM
(Insert favorite team here) had a good draft. (Insert rival team here) had a bad draft.

PropheticGeius
06-23-2017, 04:44 PM
The Kings made out like bandits in the draft in my opinion.

Fox has a great chance of being the rookie of the year and I like him along side buddy hield. You have two guards that complement each other perfectly. If fox can develop a shot then they have a poor man's curry/KLAY combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoferKing_
06-24-2017, 04:11 AM
(Insert favorite team here) had a good draft. (Insert rival team here) had a bad draft.

So, there is quite a lot of Kings fans here it seems.

JAZZNC
06-24-2017, 05:16 AM
I like what the Jazz did consolidating picks to move up and get a guy in Mitchell that seems to fit the mold of what coach Quinn Snyder wants. Defensive guy who can score as well even if he is a tweener, however his massive wing span can help him guard both guard positions....may be a good fit long term next to Exum if Dante can ever get his **** together. I dunno about the guy from UNC?? He's big as hell and just looking at % he seems like he has a decent shooting touch. Really big guys like that take a while to come into their body so if he improves half as much as Rudy has he will at the very least be a legit backup center which we need. Williams-Goss I feel like is just a low risk, low reward player. Solid all around player but nothing special. I was really happy with this draft.

Kings did well as has been already hashed out.

I have no idea what the Bulls are doing?? Just not a good time to be a Bulls fan.

Scoots
06-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Bulls are on the full rebuild.

Wade will get bought out towards the end of next season and will join the Cavs.

If they get toward the end of their season they won't buy him out. There is no reason to do it then.

Scoots
06-24-2017, 09:12 AM
I like what the Jazz did consolidating picks to move up and get a guy in Mitchell that seems to fit the mold of what coach Quinn Snyder wants. Defensive guy who can score as well even if he is a tweener, however his massive wing span can help him guard both guard positions....may be a good fit long term next to Exum if Dante can ever get his **** together. I dunno about the guy from UNC?? He's big as hell and just looking at % he seems like he has a decent shooting touch. Really big guys like that take a while to come into their body so if he improves half as much as Rudy has he will at the very least be a legit backup center which we need. Williams-Goss I feel like is just a low risk, low reward player. Solid all around player but nothing special. I was really happy with this draft.

Kings did well as has been already hashed out.

I have no idea what the Bulls are doing?? Just not a good time to be a Bulls fan.

The Warriors are finally done sending picks to the Jazz. I liked their draft, I really like Mitchell and Bradley has a nice game and will be a good fit as a backup big on the Jazz.

eDush
06-24-2017, 01:23 PM
So, there is quite a lot of Kings fans here it seems.That's cause they won the draft if we just talking about players drafted based on need and fit but not traded players as well which would go to the Wolves in ripping off the Bulls.

If Fox becomes the next John Wall as his highest ceiling, Hield will get the open looks like he was getting at OU and that is scary for opposing teams. This could be one of the most explosive backcourt duo in the near future. JJ and Giles will get plenty of playing time on this team to showcase their talent when they are able and gain valuable experience. It's a good time to be a Kings fan now that the Boogie era is over. It was bad when he was there but many can't seem to see this.
:catfight:

Now it's time for the fun to start....:around-the-world:

eDush
06-24-2017, 01:26 PM
The Warriors are finally done sending picks to the Jazz. I liked their draft, I really like Mitchell and Bradley has a nice game and will be a good fit as a backup big on the Jazz.I'm sure the Heatles are upset they missed selecting Mitchell which would have been a nice 2 way player to groom :nod:

CityofTreez
06-24-2017, 02:36 PM

winners-Suns/Mavs

Losers-

Are you implying we should've drafted Monk at 10?
We have Buddy, and got 2 picks for 1, and this draft was pretty decent to 20

GoferKing_
06-24-2017, 02:55 PM

And Bogdan. I hope he is coming.

5ass
06-24-2017, 03:03 PM

I think they should've. Monk has a lot of potential IMO and pairing him with Fox would've been good for both of their development. Buddy is alright and I love what I've seen of Bogdanovich, but they're both 23-24 and not what I would call high potential players. I don't think the Kings have enough talent to worry about fit yet, but that's just my opinion.

5ass
06-24-2017, 03:04 PM
I'm also not a big fan of Fox. I think he was overdrafted. So all in all, I have to disagree with most people saying the kings had a great draft.

Lloyd Christmas
06-24-2017, 03:29 PM
I'm also not a big fan of Fox. I think he was overdrafted. So all in all, I have to disagree with most people saying the kings had a great draft.

Interesting. I'm not a kings fan so I have no dog in this fight, but out of curiousity who do you think the kings should have drafted? Isaac and Monk?

flea
06-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Winners:

Celtics: traded down and still got the player they wanted (and who I've said before I think is the best player in the draft) in Tatum. I was impressed with Kadeem Allen when I saw him but I didn't see enough of him to really know what kind of future he has in the NBA. The SMU forward I don't really know anything. I put them on 'winner' because of the value of trading down and Tatum represents. I think he's the best but I also think he's the most ready contributor - which fits because the Celts have a good big man and can still get another superstar wing or guard if they want while keeping Tatum. Tatum can probably play some 4 in year 1 even though he's small, but obviously he is best as a 3 where he can use his size, length, and polish to pick on smaller players.

Suns: I'm not as high on Jackson as some but he is perfect as a wing complement to Booker. He is the prototype of what you want beside Booker because of his athleticism and impact without touching the ball and the Suns got him. He also has immense upside that, if he reaches, could give the Suns a wing pairing as good as the one the Warriors currently have and short only of the MJ/Pippen pairing. Don't really know about their later picks.

Kings: I don't think Fox is a superstar but he definitely is an NBA starting PG - especially in the modern NBA. Quick, tough, competent shooter, and good finisher. Don't really think he'll ever be a great distributor but that doesn't matter in the modern NBA if you can score. Jackson is the role player every team wants as many as they can get of - defends, shoots pretty well, and is long. He's not a star because of only decent athleticism and he may struggle shooting from NBA distance at first but he's Danny Green in the future if he wants it. Giles has as much upside as anybody in the draft - somewhat surprised he fell so far. NBA teams do discount bigs but he's the one type of big every team wants - athletic, long, good hands, finisher. Upside of best player in the NBA is great value at 20. Mason was a tough college player, great leader, and great packup PG. Probably just Mario Chalmers best case scenario but that's still a valuable backup or starter if you have a ball-dominant wing.

Hawks: Collins was the best ACC player last year (along with Kennard and Bonzi Colson) and I think is a starting NBA big. I think teams are overreacting to the dearth of post-up bigs and it's true he may not be good enough defensively to be a C (if he was he'd have gone #1 overall probably) but if he can either improve defensively or extend his shooting range he will be a great NBA big. Upside of LaMarcus Aldridge with a smoother game type good. At 19 if you get an NBA starter you have won. Don't know much about later picks.

Clippers: With no picks they had to make something happen and did to get Thornwell, easily the best SEC player and should have gotten more recognition as the best in the country (as he made obvious in the tournament). It's hard to under-state what he did to carry a very under-talented South Carolina team to the Final Four. In the one-and-done era people don't talk about the amazing things guys like he do only very rarely. To me he's the Malcolm Brogden of this draft (I was high on Brogden last year) in that he does nothing amazingly except defend and hustle. He's a basketball player and those guys will always have rotational spots in the NBA as long as they have size. - which Thornwell does as he has a big frame and great length. Average athleticism won't matter just like it didn't with Brogden. NBA teams are stupid for letting these 2 guys drop so far.

Jazz: Mitchell has more upside than Rozier but I think they are comparable coming out of Louisville. He'll be a starter, just not a lead guard in all likelihood. Great toughness and good value where they took him. Even if he peaks as Victor Oladipo that's still probably a starter on most teams, or at least a very nice rotational guy. Williams-Goss I like too, not sure if he can shoot or defend well enough to start but he's a smart and crafty player who will likely be valuable to a team even if he only plays 10 minutes a game. The UNC big I don't know much about as he was buried on a veteran big rotation but he has upside.

Losers:

Timberwolves: going against the grain here to say the Wiggins/Butler combo doesn't work. If they trade Wiggins I'll change my tune but I don't think either shoots enough to play a lot off the ball - which they will if Rubio is around (and I think he should be). Just one of those guys kind of takes away from Towns who they should groom as their offensive star but two risks turning him into Heat-era Bosh. If he was a vet that chose that it'd be one thing but Towns could be the best offensive big in the NBA one day and you don't want to ruin that handing the ball to a pair of slashing wings 80% of the time.

Bulls: Markannen is okay but I think he's a bench big in the best case scenario. I've never been high on Dunn, even before last year's draft, as more than a role player and Lavine doesn't look like a good enough basketball player (as opposed to just scoring athlete) to be a lead guard. Just don't feel like the Bulls got more than a few role players for Butler - 2 of which may not even be that.

Pacers: I don't think Leaf is a starting caliber stretch 4 as I question toughness and defense. He's certainly no Kevin Love. I get the idea, thinking Turner can be your athletic cover-all on defense, but I'm not sure Turner will be good enough defensively for that. I'd have taken either of the next 2 bigs taken after Leaf (Collins if you want a sure contributor or Giles if you want upside) since Turner has shown some shooting range.

Other players of note:

Frank Jackson: I like him for the Pels as a nice upside combo guard. He went awfully late for a guy who compares favorably to De'Aaron Fox in style. He probably would have gone higher if he had gone to a school that didn't already have its backcourt set but he showed what he could do late in the year. Very quick, good finisher, and good 3 point shooter. Might end up as a bench scorer but you can't argue that his style fits perfectly in the no-perimeter defense P&R era of the NBA. Didn't want to call the Pels necessarily "winners" for it because he needs development and the Pels need guards that are ready now.

Jonathan Isaac: Very intriguing player with his size, handles, defense, and scoring. I think he could bust but I also think he could be Lamar Odom or better. Hell he could turn out to be the best player in the draft - but to be fair you can say that about maybe 8 or 10 guys based on their upside. He's the most Draymond Green-y player in the draft, but his upside is much more considerable than Draymond's ever was.

Monk and Kennard: similar players and I like them both. True shooting guards that have different flaws that kept them out of the top 10 but I think both will be good starters, if not stars. Both have complete offensive games already, just without the handles that most teams want in star guards today. Kennard is only average athletically but that works well enough for Klay Thompson, while people question Monk's size but it works for Reddick so long as he gains some strength. Both shoot so well that their floor is always "role player" but I'm not sure either will be 20 PPG scorers - and I'd bet Kennard as most likely of the two because of his craftiness in the lane.

Bam Adebayo: nice upside as the athletic C every team wants. Only problem is the Heat already have that (for now at least). I think he's better than Nerlens Noel but obviously great role player is his upside. Not sure what the Heat are doing beyond taking the BPA so I didn't list them as a winner.

Dwayne Bacon: very good college slasher who I think has the size to do it in the NBA but I'm not sure about his motor, IQ, or athleticism. Plus he doesn't seem to impact the game much except with his scoring. He might be a guy who gets big contracts because of PPG but doesn't help you win but he does have upside because of his size. Ideally he could be a great 1-2 punch with Monk but that's way down the road, and frankly I think he washes out of the league early.

Bonzie Colson: I'm sure some team will work him out because of how good and productive he is as a 6'4 PF. He has a nice wingspan so there is Draymond Green possibility but he went undrafted pretty much because of that, which is too bad. He's not as good defensively as Draymond (which is the major reason why he's so good) but he's tougher on the glass and is a much better scorer. Sure hope he gets a shot, very fun player.

Ishkabibble
06-24-2017, 03:37 PM

winners-Suns/Mavs

Losers-

LOL. Josh Jackson can't shoot to save his life. I honestly question if he'll ever be a consistent scorer in the NBA. Besides, many of the things he does well are what Jaylen Brown already brings to the Celtics.
As for Fultz, the last thing Boston needed was to further cluster its back court. Stevens is intent on playing Marcus Smart 27-30 minutes a night off the bench. And as it is, they're having trouble finding PT for their first round pick a couple years ago Terry Rozier; a guy that I think can play.
Bottom line is it would've been really dumb to draft Fultz when its their front court that needs the help.
And the chance of that LAL/SAC draft pick they got by moving down being Top 10 are very good.

5ass
06-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Interesting. I'm not a kings fan so I have no dog in this fight, but out of curiousity who do you think the kings should have drafted? Isaac and Monk?

I like Isaac and Smith more than Fox. Smith fell to 9 so I could be wrong, but he's my favourite PG prospect. I like him over Ball and Fox. Isaac was my favourite pick. His asthma worries me a little bit, but otherwise I think he's a better prospect than Tatum and Jackson.

I don't thin Fox was a terrible pick, just not the best. I wish they picked monk because they seemed to have good synergy in college.

tp13baby
06-24-2017, 03:45 PM

Fox at 5> Isaac at 5

I don't get the argument of Monk at 10. Him and Buddy are pretty similar and once he arrived to Sac town he was really good.

Besides OG going 23, I think Justin Jackson at 15 was the best value pick in the first round. Someone things he may be Durrant which I doubt but the dude is one of the few middle to late round picks that has all star potential.

Giles if he figures it out from high school, a redraft 5 years out, I will bet all 3 will be top 10 picks. I'm that confident about their draft.

flea
06-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Fox at 5> Isaac at 5

I don't get the argument of Monk at 10. Him and Buddy are pretty similar and once he arrived to Sac town he was really good.

Besides OG going 23, I think Justin Jackson at 15 was the best value pick in the first round. Someone things he may be Durrant which I doubt but the dude is one of the few middle to late round picks that has all star potential.

Giles if he figures it out from high school, a redraft 5 years out, I will bet all 3 will be top 10 picks. I'm that confident about their draft.

Lol Justin Jackson is nothing like Durant. Great glue guy for UNC but he was probably their 3rd or 4th best player - not unlike Danny Green was to Lawson, Hansborough, and Ellington. His jumper isn't terribly consistent and he's not an off the dribble guy.

bklynny67
06-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Winners
#1 Minnesota Timberwolves-Obviously the big winners of the draft are the T-Wolves with the Butler trade. KAT, Butler, and Wiggins give them a legitimate "Big 3" and Butler is the old one. Barring injury, Minny will be a strong playoff contender next year.

#2 Phoenix Suns-Josh Jackson at #4 is a huge get for them. Booker/Bledsoe/Knight/Jackson/Len/Chriss/Bender is an excellent young core. They can decide who they want to keep and package the others to fill out their roster when they are ready to compete.

#3 Sacramento Kings-The Kings sort of made out like kings in the draft. There is not four players better than De'Aaron Fox in this draft but he was still available at #5. Sacramento also flipped the #10 pick for Justin Jackson (#15) and Harry Giles (#20), the latter having top 5 potential if not for knee injuries suffered in High School. They got the draft right, now we'll see if they can somehow find a way not to screw this up (don't hold your breath).

Losers
#1 Chicago Bulls-Chicago is the only massive loser of this draft. They traded Jimmy Butler for 50 cents on the dollar, netting 0 picks in the trade by trading their own pick also. The trade was basically Butler and Patton for LaVine, Dunn, and Markkanen. Now they have this young core that won't be anywhere near close to winning while they are paying Dwyane Wade and Rajon Rondo over $37 million to trick fans into going to the United Center to watch that team play.

#2 Boston Celtics-Boston is a loser in this draft for two reasons, they once again failed to make a blockbuster trade with all their picks and they didn't take Jackson or Fox with the #3 pick. They failed to acquire either Jimmy Butler or Paul George in a package and when that didn't happen, they made the wrong selection with their pick. That said, Tatum will be a good player and the Celtics actually improved their roster tonight.

Other Notes
While not getting George may have been disappointing, adding Ball/Hart improves the Lakers.

Even though it was only for the triangle, Frank Ntilikina is a strong prospect who will probably turn out fine.

Miami took a bit of a chance on Bam Adebayo but he has strong recommendations from Coach Calipari. One of the more interesting picks of the night.
I don't like the Celtics but your analysis on them is terrible. Tatam is the better prospect of Jackson and Fox and fits exactly what they need. Just about everyone in the basketball world thinks that, except you I guess.

mrblisterdundee
06-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Malik Monk was the biggest surprise drop to me.
Picks one through six were justifiable. The stupidity began with Chicago, which traded their best shooting guard in the draft's worst trade, could possibly buy out their second-best shooting guard and decided to take spiritual Bargnani doppelgänger Markannen over Monk, the highest-rated shooting guard in the draft.
Monk had way more accomplishments at No. 7 than Nkilitina and would have lit up the Garden at least as well as Crawford did. Dallas chose right with Smith at No. 9, and Portland definitely didn't need another shooting guard.

5ass
06-25-2017, 01:39 AM
Fox at 5> Isaac at 5

I disagree. I would've taken Isaac/smith instead of Fox. That's just my opinion. I see Fox being a good starter, but I don't see the star potential. Using a top 5 pick on a good starting PG is not a great idea. He's a better defender than Smith, but what else is he better at?

Monk is the guy with the most potential at 10 IMO. I was disappointed they didn't pick him. Buddy is under control for like three more years. Monk is still 19 and would be under control for four years. You keep both and see what they've got. I look at Lavine and he was scoring like 20+PPG before he got injured. Monk is very capable of being a 20+ PPG scorer IMO.

Bowman53
06-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Warriors got the best defensive player in the draft. Enough said.

Sactown
06-25-2017, 01:36 PM
I disagree. I would've taken Isaac/smith instead of Fox. That's just my opinion. I see Fox being a good starter, but I don't see the star potential. Using a top 5 pick on a good starting PG is not a great idea. He's a better defender than Smith, but what else is he better at?

Monk is the guy with the most potential at 10 IMO. I was disappointed they didn't pick him. Buddy is under control for like three more years. Monk is still 19 and would be under control for four years. You keep both and see what they've got. I look at Lavine and he was scoring like 20+PPG before he got injured. Monk is very capable of being a 20+ PPG scorer IMO.

Or Monk becomes an undersized SG with a streaky jumper. And Smith wasnt available at 10... I would of loved Isaac/DSJ as well , im super high on isaac. But lets not pretend anyone is a sure thing. I like the fact that we traded back and grabbed two players instead of forcing Jackson at 10. Giles is a high risk high reward guy. Ultimately we took a lot of bites at the apple in a deep draft.