PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Auction Playoffs (Minnesota Lakers vs. Trust the Process)

valade16
06-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Every year Posters from PSD come together and do a secret auction of all players throughout NBA history attempting to make the best team and win the PSD All-Time Auction Championship! The teams have been seeded and are now in the playoffs. Please look over the teams and vote based on which team you think would win in a 7 game playoff series.

Minnesota Lakers have the higher seed and will have home court advantage in the series.

Minnesota Lakers:

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Eddie Jones
SF: Michael Finley
PF: Chris Bosh
C: Wilt Chamberlain

B: Danny Ainge
B: Joe Johnson
B: Derrick McKey
B: Lamar Odom
B: George Mikan

vs

Trust the Process:

PG: Tony Parker / Bob Cousy
SG: Kobe Bryant / Steve Smith
SF: Paul Pierce / Richard Jefferson
PF: Tom Chambers / Glenn Robinson
C: Willis Reed / Antwan Jamison

KnicksorBust
06-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Reed vs. Chamberlain. How did that work out for Chamberlain last time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Yea I wasn't even born but it's all I have as a Knicks fan. Throw me one.

KnicksorBust
06-22-2017, 02:50 PM
To be serious, I love the Trust the Process and I think their weaknesses (TP and Chambers) won't be exploited in this matchup. Parker will have his way with Nash on the other end. His speed and driving to the rim should be effective all series. Meanwhile the wing player is landslide victory for TTP.

mngopher35
06-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Reed vs. Chamberlain. How did that work out for Chamberlain last time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Yea I wasn't even born but it's all I have as a Knicks fan. Throw me one.

Wilt, past his peak, put up 24/24/4 on over 60% shooting from the field. When in his peak and on a team that can space with a PG like nash to run the offense/tempo I would imagine things would be much easier on him too.

On the other hand while TP is a good guard that can attack like you mention Kobe and PP generally play with the ball as well. I am not sure that team will have a ton of ball movement like TP is used to and Wilt will be at the rim protecting here.

Lucky.
06-22-2017, 06:31 PM
I read the Lakers bench as their starting lineup for a second and was blown away. I was like wow, that team is trash. How did they make it? By default? Lol.

Dunkapolooza
06-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Me too lucky lol. I was like Odom/ Mikan!!??? Lol

Seriously though, wilt is almost the worst possible matchups for this Reed c concept.

Jets012
06-22-2017, 10:56 PM
That Lakers team is great. Perfectly built.

KnicksorBust
06-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Wilt, past his peak, put up 24/24/4 on over 60% shooting from the field. When in his peak and on a team that can space with a PG like nash to run the offense/tempo I would imagine things would be much easier on him too.

On the other hand while TP is a good guard that can attack like you mention Kobe and PP generally play with the ball as well. I am not sure that team will have a ton of ball movement like TP is used to and Wilt will be at the rim protecting here.

Who guards kobe and who guards Pierce and who guards Parker? 2 of those 3 are going to get a cakewalk all series.

KnicksorBust
06-23-2017, 12:30 PM
That Lakers team is great. Perfectly built.

Yeah an offense built around a post player and weak perimeter defense... that will get you far these days. :laugh:

Jets012
06-23-2017, 01:11 PM
Yeah an offense built around a post player and weak perimeter defense... that will get you far these days. :laugh:

I mean, Jones was an All-NBA caliber defender in his prime, so he hides Nash's deficiencies. Wilt Chamberlain isn't just your typical post player either. He's a great fit with Nash as he's able to spread the floor. Bosh's shooting ability allows Chamberlain to clog the paint. Everyone on the court an shoot. Every starter is a + athlete for Nash. Only real negative I see is Finley being SF. Ideally you'd want someone like Pippen or Kawhi on this team, but if it had one of those two guys, this team would run away with the title. Perfectly built offensive team full of players who complement each other quite well.

valade16
06-23-2017, 01:34 PM

My brother was just remarking how despite it being probably the worst era for team basketball and offense PSD seems to value teams that are built like the late 90's/early 00's

KnicksorBust
06-23-2017, 05:07 PM

I mean, Jones was an All-NBA caliber defender in his prime, so he hides Nash's deficiencies. Wilt Chamberlain isn't just your typical post player either. He's a great fit with Nash as he's able to spread the floor. Bosh's shooting ability allows Chamberlain to clog the paint. Everyone on the court an shoot. Every starter is a + athlete for Nash. Only real negative I see is Finley being SF. Ideally you'd want someone like Pippen or Kawhi on this team, but if it had one of those two guys, this team would run away with the title. Perfectly built offensive team full of players who complement each other quite well.

Who guards Parker? Who guards Kobe? Who guards Pierce? 2 out of those 3 are going to have a cake walk.

Did you just say Chamberlain is spreading the floor? Huh? Perfect offense? Their two best played in completely different offenses. Nash is amazing at pick and roll and their best offensive player didn't run pick and roll in the 60s. They dont even fit. It is talent but not chemistry and I will wait for your answer about their defense.

mngopher35
06-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Are you seriously questioning if Wilt could thrive in the pick and roll with Nash with great spacing?

Defensively Finley will be fine on Pierce (he wins the matchup but 1v1 on that matchup won't be overwhelming). Parker will burn Nash to an extent as well but again if they are using 1v1 matchups with Parker/Pierce to match an offense based on the elite offenses we see around the league with a great PG (de facto) to run things, spacing, and even mixed in an all time dominant big to take advantage of said space.

I dunno I guess I think my offense clearly has something in place for a system/unit while his will rely on these 1v1 matchups which generally doesn't go so well imo. Try and get parker shooting from outside more (playing under some) and let Pierce go 1v1 on Finley, not sure I see much efficiency there in comparison to a Nash lead team who can run some, space the floor and has an all time dominant big to excel in the pick and roll or just with tons of space down low in general.

Jets012
06-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Who guards Parker? Who guards Kobe? Who guards Pierce? 2 out of those 3 are going to have a cake walk.

Did you just say Chamberlain is spreading the floor? Huh? Perfect offense? Their two best played in completely different offenses. Nash is amazing at pick and roll and their best offensive player didn't run pick and roll in the 60s. They dont even fit. It is talent but not chemistry and I will wait for your answer about their defense.

No, I said the team around Chamberlain spreads the floor for him.

You're really going to assume that Wilt Chamberlain couldn't run a pick and roll offense? What's the point of drafted guys before 1970 if you're going to assume they can't do anything in today's game because the game has changed so much since they played? Honestly, a dumb point to make.

Again, I don't see how you don't think they fit. Mngopher put shooters around a massive big man. To cover up Nash's defensive deficiencies, mn paired him with Eddie Jones who was an All-NBA defender. On offense, Jones was great off-the-ball and a fantastic spot up shooter. Again, a very good fit with Nash. We have seen what Bosh can do as a spread 4 when needed during his days in Miami. And he never played with a center with 1/10th the talent that Wilt possesses. They aren't just talent at all. I'll give you that in this particular matchup they will have some trouble with TTP's guard depth. That's their huge weakness. But man, it's completely wrong to look at their starting lineup and claim they don't even fit.

KnicksorBust
06-24-2017, 02:58 PM
No, I said the team around Chamberlain spreads the floor for him.

You're really going to assume that Wilt Chamberlain couldn't run a pick and roll offense? What's the point of drafted guys before 1970 if you're going to assume they can't do anything in today's game because the game has changed so much since they played? Honestly, a dumb point to make.

Again, I don't see how you don't think they fit. Mngopher put shooters around a massive big man. To cover up Nash's defensive deficiencies, mn paired him with Eddie Jones who was an All-NBA defender. On offense, Jones was great off-the-ball and a fantastic spot up shooter. Again, a very good fit with Nash. We have seen what Bosh can do as a spread 4 when needed during his days in Miami. And he never played with a center with 1/10th the talent that Wilt possesses. They aren't just talent at all. I'll give you that in this particular matchup they will have some trouble with TTP's guard depth. That's their huge weakness. But man, it's completely wrong to look at their starting lineup and claim they don't even fit.

I think it's clear how they don't fit. Chamberlain never played with someone like Nash. Bosh never played with someone like Chamberlain. TPP's biggest strength is they have two elite perimeter scorers. Finley/Nash are two horrifically bad perimeter defenders. If you want to magically assume they will click that's your call.

mngopher35
06-24-2017, 03:32 PM
I think it's clear how they don't fit. Chamberlain never played with someone like Nash. Bosh never played with someone like Chamberlain. TPP's biggest strength is they have two elite perimeter scorers. Finley/Nash are two horrifically bad perimeter defenders. If you want to magically assume they will click that's your call.

Lol tons of these guys didn't play with a player like someone they are with now. It's like the entire point of the game to fit their skill sets with others throughout history to make something new. When was their a top/great pg next to Kobe? Reed never played a team that spaced like this and could keep things so wide open so he can't really be considered a good defender this series since we haven't seen it when he played. etc etc.

When an all time point guard who helped a guy like Amare beast meets an all time dominant/athletic freak of a big man with a lot of spacing around why would there be major issues outside of that you simply haven't seen it from him before due to his era etc (like those things mentioned above).

KnicksorBust
06-24-2017, 04:39 PM

Lol tons of these guys didn't play with a player like someone they are with now. It's like the entire point of the game to fit their skill sets with others throughout history to make something new. When was their a top/great pg next to Kobe? Reed never played a team that spaced like this and could keep things so wide open so he can't really be considered a good defender this series since we haven't seen it when he played. etc etc.

When an all time point guard who helped a guy like Amare beast meets an all time dominant/athletic freak of a big man with a lot of spacing around why would there be major issues outside of that you simply haven't seen it from him before due to his era etc (like those things mentioned above).

You are missing the point by over generalizing my argument. Those specific examples are different. For the next round you would be better off actually arguing against my point rather than assuming that I think that applies to all players in every situation.

mngopher35
06-24-2017, 04:46 PM
You are missing the point by over generalizing my argument. Those specific examples are different. For the next round you would be better off actually arguing against my point rather than assuming that I think that applies to all players in every situation.

What is your point on why it wouldn't work? I have just seen you saying he hasn't played with a guy like him etc. so I pointed out that's silly reasoning.

Nash's skill sets and ability to run an offense are still there, Wilt is still a dominating athletic big who's skills would seem to be great as the roll man in the pick and roll (and later in his career he played with a guy like West). On top of this I have spacing to help him in the post and the two of them attack a defense together. So what is the issue?

valade16
06-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Minnesota Lakers win.