PDA

View Full Version : What does "untradable" mean to you?

da ThRONe
06-22-2017, 02:19 PM
This is the time of year that leads to the most speculation. The draft is here followed by free agency. Which means teams are trying to reshape their franchises in hope of advancing their plans. Apart of this process are trades. With the recent talks about Paul George's situation and Kristap Porzingis it got me to thinking what makes a player "untradable" in the eyes of fans and basketball personnel.

Personally my take on player that should never be traded is rather simple. If a player can be the best player on a chamionship team and has more than 2 years on their contract. With an exceptions for LeBron who like to sign short contracts for flexibility.

hugepatsfan
06-22-2017, 02:23 PM
I don't think they're truly is such a thing. But when you get past semantics I think it just means a player whose combination of ability/age/contract situation along with the team's overall position make it such that there's no realistic scenario I'd trade that player.

BKLYNpigeon
06-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Via. Dictionalry.com

Adjective.

untraceable: Not able to be traded.  

KnicksorBust
06-22-2017, 02:33 PM
I agree with hugepatsfan that untradeable doesn't really exist but in reality to me it means you would only trade the player if after the trade 90% of people would say you clearly won the deal. It has to be a deal lopsided in your favor to actually pull the trigger.

"Untradeable" = The team is not shopping the player and would not accept "fair" deal for the player.

Example: LeBron is "untradeable" but if the Warriors offered Kevin Durant and Draymond Green then the Cavs would have to accept.

Hawkeye15
06-22-2017, 02:47 PM
I thought the term once existed, then Joe Johnson was traded and I stopped believing.

tp13baby
06-22-2017, 02:53 PM
There is no such thing.

ewing
06-22-2017, 02:56 PM
unable to be traded

WaDe03
06-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Josh McRoberts.

Greet
06-22-2017, 03:23 PM
So there are 2 takes from this (imo):

(1) There is no way in hell another team would take him, most likely because of an awful awful contract. Lol at Hawkeyes post though, Joe Johnson should have been in this category.

(2) That you wont even field an offer for a guy unless it is CLEARLY a win for you.

Lakers + Giants
06-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Not willing to trade unless you trade rape the opposing team for the player that is "untradable"

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2017, 05:54 PM
For Michael Jordan, it's Frank Kaminsky.

mrblisterdundee
06-22-2017, 06:28 PM
There is no such thing as untradeable. "Untradeable" means you don't think it's likely anyone could offer up a good-enough package to make you bite.
Kawhi is "untradeable." But if the Bucks offered Giannis, Jabari and Brogdon, I think Kawhi might suddenly become tradeable.

kdspurman
06-22-2017, 06:36 PM
There is no such thing as untradeable. "Untradeable" means you don't think it's likely anyone could offer up a good-enough package to make you bite.
Kawhi is "untradeable." But if the Bucks offered Giannis, Jabari and Brogdon, I think Kawhi might suddenly become tradeable.

I still don't think Pop and Co. would with this. He's what I'd call untradeable, not only due to his skills, but because of how Pop and Co. Treat their franchise players.

LOb0
06-22-2017, 06:47 PM
Young MVP caliber players are generally untradable.

Kyben36
06-22-2017, 07:17 PM
really awful contract or super amazing once in a generation player,

that said, im not sure i beleive anyone is untradable, yuou you can find the right deal for any player. lebron has shown, any player, even the hometown hero could leave, so it would be better to get assets before they left.

mrblisterdundee
06-23-2017, 12:46 AM
I still don't think Pop and Co. would with this. He's what I'd call untradeable, not only due to his skills, but because of how Pop and Co. Treat their franchise players.

Throw in Maker too.

Quinnsanity
06-23-2017, 04:36 AM
I think for a player to be untradeable there has to be something bigger than just talent. Like I can think of only a few instances in history when a player would have been untradeable.

LeBron in like 2005 and 2006, when he was still young and the Cavs thought they'd have him for another 15 years, they never would have traded him for anything. The potential was too great, he was too beloved as a home town kid, he's never going anywhere.

At a certain point Tim Duncan became untradeable because he meant too much to the organization. As we've seen with certain guys, like Hakeem and Ewing, the line is very fine here. I think it has to be a player who joined an organization that had never won anything before that guy and was a totally different team because of him. Duncan and Jordan are the two biggies that come to mind. Durant would have been that guy had OKC won a title just because their city had never had a professional sports team. I have to admit I thought Wade was this guy, and I know the Heat didn't trade him, but I assumed he's the guy you keep forever and he wasn't. Dirk is on this list. It's not just because they're great, it's because of what they mean to the franchise.

It has to be a circumstance like that, where there's something bigger than basketball at play.

JasonJohnHorn
06-25-2017, 12:06 AM
I don't think they're truly is such a thing. But when you get past semantics I think it just means a player whose combination of ability/age/contract situation along with the team's overall position make it such that there's no realistic scenario I'd trade that player.

Sure there is. Some teams respect what a player does for them. The Spurs, for instance. They gave Manua huge pay day just to keep hi on free agency because Philly threw so much cash at him. They never traded Duncan, though they would have gotten first-rounders for him right up until his final season. They never traded Parker either.

The old Boston guys would have never traded Bird, and the Lakers wouldn't have traded Magic.

You could say, hypothetically, that perhaps the Bulls offer Jordan and Pippen for Magic in 91 then the Lakers would take the trade, sure, but the point of being 'untradeable' is essentially that your asking price to give up such a player is higher than anybody would actually offer.

JasonJohnHorn
06-25-2017, 12:13 AM
I think there are a couple of definitions here.

The first in the sense that it is supposed to be is the player you have is such a high value to you that no team would be willing to offer what you would require to consider parting with the player.

LeBron James? Untrabable. Sure. If the Warriors called up and offered Kevin, Curry, Klay, and Dray, Cleveland would say yes, but there is no way in hell the Warriors would make such an offer.

I think franchises valued guys more 25 years ago and further back. No way Boston was going to trade Cousy, Russell, or Bird. No Lakers trade West, or Magic. The Pistons weren't going to trade Zeke or Dumars. The Bulls weren't going to trade Jordan, and the Pacers weren't going to trade Reggie.

Part of the bad blood with Allen and the Celtics is the fact that they saw him as tradable despite what he did for them. Most teams are like that now. I'd say the only team that isn't is the Spurs, and likely the Mavs, at least with regard to Dirk.

There are instances where 'untradable' guys get traded when they request a trade, but even in this instances, the teams don't want to part with them. Kobe demands a trade, the Lakers start looking at options. Not because they want to, but because its what the player wants. This happened with Pippen. He wanted out, he got out. I imagine, even with the bad blood, the Bulls would have kept Pippen if he wanted to stay (I may be wrong about that), but I think my meaning is clear.

I'm sure, for example, that if Dirk asked for a trade, the Mavs would oblige, but I'm also sure that they would let him know their preference is to keep him.

The other 'untradeable' player are guys you give stupid contracts to. Nobody is going to take those guys, so you simply wont' be able to trade them.

Scoots
06-25-2017, 03:39 PM
So there are 2 takes from this (imo):

(1) There is no way in hell another team would take him, most likely because of an awful awful contract. Lol at Hawkeyes post though, Joe Johnson should have been in this category.

(2) That you wont even field an offer for a guy unless it is CLEARLY a win for you.

Nailed it.

But of course anything is possible.

Saddletramp
06-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Via. Dictionalry.com

Adjective.

untraceable: Not able to be traded.  

That's not the definition of untraceable.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Giannis.

warfelg
06-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Untradable to me just means that the value the player would bring back to you does not match that value he give you.

My example will still be Joel Embiid. He's untradable. Between the time to get healthy, what he brings on the court, and what we've invested around him; there is no feasable way for the Sixers to ever get the value in a trade for him that makes the move worth it.

Alayla
06-27-2017, 06:38 AM
Ben Simmons
I joke but ya no what war said whenever a player is more valuable to their team than whatever they could potentially get in return.

crewfan13
06-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Probably just semantics, but to me, untradable is just the guys on the bottom end. It's guys who either have such terrible contracts that no one will take them, or guys who have some character concern so great that a team would never take on the PR nightmare. And even in that case, it's all relative because if a team offered enough first round picks or young talent, a rebuilding team would take on the PR nightmare or horrible contract and buy them out.

Like I said, it's probably semantics, but the good players who you'd never trade for anything short of a crazy haul would be labeled "untouchable." And like others have said, even that is basically a myth. Everyone has an asking price that would be impossible to turn down. As a bucks fan, Giannis is probably as close to untouchable as anyone in the league, but I'm sure golden state could pry him loose if they really wanted to for some reason.

To me, untradable means you're stuck with the guy and untouchable means you aren't moving the guy. Neither case is really set in stone, because an unrealistic offer could come through to change that, but in most cases, those guys aren't getting moved.

FlashBolt
06-27-2017, 11:18 PM
That's not the definition of untraceable.

lmao, that's Warriors fans for ya.

Eye Test
06-29-2017, 05:58 AM
Prime Duncan/LeBron/Curry IMO

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Untradable to me just means that the value the player would bring back to you does not match that value he give you.

My example will still be Joel Embiid. He's untradable. Between the time to get healthy, what he brings on the court, and what we've invested around him; there is no feasable way for the Sixers to ever get the value in a trade for him that makes the move worth it.

If Hinkie was with 76ers yet? If Hinkie was there yet and Embiid continued to get injured I could see them flip him for a haul easily.

warfelg
06-29-2017, 09:21 AM
If Hinkie was with 76ers yet? If Hinkie was there yet and Embiid continued to get injured I could see them flip him for a haul easily.

I dunno. Its hard to say but I don't think so because the value from other teams wouldn't be there. Embiids value to us will always be higher than it is for other teams until he plays 3-4 years of 65+ games.