PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh... Cap $2 million lower than expected

Vinylman
06-22-2017, 08:35 AM
Just announced

Cap only $99 million

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19703254/salary-cap-2m-less-expected-nba-tells-teams

Vinylman
06-22-2017, 08:43 AM
The NBA warned players this would happen if they didn't accept cap smoothing. The cap is going to be a roller coaster for a few years.

actually it is due to the lack of competitive balance

way less playoff games is the primary reason noted.

IndyRealist
06-22-2017, 08:44 AM
The NBA warned players this would happen if they didn't accept cap smoothing. The cap is going to be a roller coaster for a few years.

likemystylez
06-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Its ironic- I actually think the lack of competitive balance is mainly caused by all the horrible contracts that were given out last summer- and thats what lead to the playoffs having fewer games.

The incramental increases would have been better to avoid some of the ridiculous contracts- but players wanted to get huge un precedented contracts. Now players agents are gonna be saying "so and so got this much in summer of 2016, so my client deserves atleast that much now in summer 2019"

Scoots
06-22-2017, 08:57 AM

And as TV and other media contracts end chances are the replacement contracts may well be less than the current ones which may make the cap even more volatile in the next 6 years.

da ThRONe
06-22-2017, 09:00 AM
It still amazes me how poor a lot of GMs are in this league.

Scoots
06-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Its ironic- I actually think the lack of competitive balance is mainly caused by all the horrible contracts that were given out last summer- and thats what lead to the playoffs having fewer games.

The incramental increases would have been better to avoid some of the ridiculous contracts- but players wanted to get huge un precedented contracts. Now players agents are gonna be saying "so and so got this much in summer of 2016, so my client deserves atleast that much now in summer 2019"

The competitive balance thing certainly had a part to play in the short playoffs, but I also agree that some of the REALLY bad contracts handed out the last couple years also played a big role in the decline of the league overall. The Cavs and their fans are quick to say they are not a superteam, yet they had a greater separation from the other Eastern teams than the Warriors and the West, so from that perspective it's not "just the Warriors".

IndyRealist
06-22-2017, 09:02 AM

Less playoff games = less tv revenue = less salary cap. Cap smoothing would have prevented these flucuations.

Nikeman
06-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Does this hurt GS to keep Iggy? :D

Scoots
06-22-2017, 09:15 AM

No and yes. No because the cap has no effect on the Warriors keeping Iguodala since they have his bird rights and they are going to go over the cap to sign him regardless. Yes because the tax line makes every dollar more expensive and most people figure that at some point the Warriors owners are going to have to care.

likemystylez
06-22-2017, 09:18 AM

naaaaa- warriors owners know they can keep raising the prices of tickets to ridiculous amounts and still sell out every game. in the bay area there are tons of hardcore fans that are willing to pay 500+ for nose bleed seats

mavwar53
06-22-2017, 09:27 AM
naaaaa- warriors owners know they can keep raising the prices of tickets to ridiculous amounts and still sell out every game. in the bay area there are tons of hardcore fans that are willing to pay 500+ for nose bleed seats

The face value has gone up, but not too much, it's the secondary market (legal ticket scalping) where the prices are so damn high, but that is also for any sold out event around the world.

Hawkeye15
06-22-2017, 09:31 AM

The lack of competitive balance is because they raised the cap so damn much in a single offseason, allowing a team like GS (and other good teams) to have room to add a real player. There are only a few difference makers available every year, if they go to already good/great teams, that just creates further divide..

Look, GS no doubt was built right. But please stop acting like with how they were already built, and what happened last summer, things didn't get totally ****ed up in the NBA.

To your overall point, I do think the market went nuts for mediocre players. This summer should see a fair market value hit again.

Hawkeye15
06-22-2017, 09:32 AM
It still amazes me how poor a lot of GMs are in this league.

oh yeah. And even though the NBA is progressive, and likes newer faces than let's say, the NFL, you get the same damn people moving around, who have proven they suck at their jobs.

AllBall
06-22-2017, 09:34 AM
lol, "only $99 million". That's plenty.

The drop was caused by the number of playoff games being fewer than expected, as the recent postseason was dominated by lopsided series that were shorter than anticipated.

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19703254/salary-cap-2m-less-expected-nba-tells-teams

Well, well well. So I guess the league should realize that having the shortest playoff on record, the most profitable and important part of their season, isn't a good thing.

BKLYNpigeon
06-22-2017, 09:38 AM

Not really, hurts them in keeping Iggy and Livingston.

ewing
06-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Well my day is ruined

Scoots
06-22-2017, 11:52 AM
lol, "only $99 million". That's plenty.

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19703254/salary-cap-2m-less-expected-nba-tells-teams

Well, well well. So I guess the league should realize that having the shortest playoff on record, the most profitable and important part of their season, isn't a good thing.

They did realize it, it was just too late, so they sent in the hatchet refs for game 4 to take the finals from losing money to breaking even. But even the NBA machinations couldn't keep the Warriors down long.

Nah, I was just trying on what it feels like to be the other kind of Warrior fan :)

In reality there were 79 playoff games, the Warriors were only in 17 of them and the whole show by and large sucked. I have no idea what they do to make it better, but I suspect even if nothing is done this year will be better simply because the young and growing teams should get better and the overall dip last year should come up a bit overall.

Vinylman
06-22-2017, 01:01 PM
saw something from bobby marks that said assuming that Clevelands salaries are $140 million that there LT tax by the cap going down $2 million go from $61 million to $70 million

$9 million more just because the cap went down $2 million

YIKES! :speechless:

valade16
06-22-2017, 01:04 PM
The lack of competitive balance is because they raised the cap so damn much in a single offseason, allowing a team like GS (and other good teams) to have room to add a real player. There are only a few difference makers available every year, if they go to already good/great teams, that just creates further divide..

Look, GS no doubt was built right. But please stop acting like with how they were already built, and what happened last summer, things didn't get totally ****ed up in the NBA.

To your overall point, I do think the market went nuts for mediocre players. This summer should see a fair market value hit again.

Exactly. If you erased all the horrible contracts last off-season, all the Mozgov's, the Evan Turner's, every single one, there would be exactly as much league imbalance as there is right now.

The lack of cap smoothing allowed GS to get KD and essentially win titles until they please, not a $70 mil contract given to a role player on a mediocre team.

IndyRealist
06-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Exactly. If you erased all the horrible contracts last off-season, all the Mozgov's, the Evan Turner's, every single one, there would be exactly as much league imbalance as there is right now.

The lack of cap smoothing allowed GS to get KD and essentially win titles until they please, not a $70 mil contract given to a role player on a mediocre team.

And let's not forget that it was Chris Paul (NBAPA President) and Lebron James (NBAPA VP) who made it possible.

Saddletramp
06-22-2017, 02:58 PM
No and yes. No because the cap has no effect on the Warriors keeping Iguodala since they have his bird rights and they are going to go over the cap to sign him regardless. Yes because the tax line makes every dollar more expensive and most people figure that at some point the Warriors owners are going to have to care.

But doesn't this mean KD will have to take a bit less? He has to fit in their window along with their cap holds and then Curry, Iguodala and Livingston get fit in. Might not be a huge amount but that's right, right?

Saddletramp
06-22-2017, 03:09 PM

Not necessarily talking about stylez but a few Warriors fans have down played how the Warriors were lucky when it came to what the have right now. That cap spike in a year where only KD was the absolute difference was stupid from the get go (Lebron wasn't leaving for anywhere after winning that championship). No idea why they didn't smooth it out $7 or $10 million a year and invested the rest for even bigger cap spikes down the line.

I mean, who was available last year at the top? Parsons? Dwight? Noah? Wade? Rondo? Ryan Anderson? Gordon? Horford? None of the guys are even remotely on KD's level. Like I've said before, they found out about this in October of 2014 (I think) and had one offseason in between to tinker with. That's just not enough time to put all of your eggs in one basket. If I'm a top level NBA player and I signed a 4 or 5 year max or near max deal with a dud team in 2014 and then I immediately see that everyone gets an extra $23 million in the middle of my deal I'd be pissed.

AllBall
06-22-2017, 03:47 PM
And let's not forget that it was Chris Paul (NBAPA President) and Lebron James (NBAPA VP) who made it possible.

What does that have to do with the fact that every series the Warriors and Cavs were NOT involved in were also complete crap?

mrblisterdundee
06-22-2017, 05:15 PM

The ultimate karma would be of the cap decrease the Warriors' dominance caused ended up keeping them from re-signing Durant or Curry.

mrblisterdundee
06-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Maybe the cap situation can help create a little more parity. I'm rooting for it to keep Golden State from re-signing Durant, or even San Antonio from getting Paul.

THE MTL
06-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Cap has gotten out of hand and its leading to these stacked teams and crazy contracts. I think it being lowered is good thing

CityofTreez
06-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Oh Oh.....what else is new!

What do they expect with mega teams bringing disparity in the league?
Few teams win out, most lose out.

Saddletramp
06-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Cap has gotten out of hand and its leading to these stacked teams and crazy contracts. I think it being lowered is good thing

Perfect timing for the Warriors. Awful timing for everyone else.

LA_Raiders
06-23-2017, 01:14 AM
Not a big deal, super teams will still pay.