PDA

View Full Version : Aldridge: Kings turned down No. 2 pick for Nos. 5 and 10.

mrblisterdundee
06-21-2017, 10:04 AM
According to the NBA's David Aldridge (https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/877337902677712896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Flakeshowlife.com%2F2017%2F06 %2F20%2Flakers-rumors-sacramento-kings-turn-trade-first-round-picks%2F), the Kings turned down a Lakers offer of the No. 2 pick for Nos. 5 and 10. The Lakers would have then packaged either No. 5 or No. 10, Nos. 27 and 28 and a player to the Pacers for George.

valade16
06-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Kings must not feel like Lonzo Ball (or anyone else at #2) has significantly more upside than getting 2 players in the Top 10.

eDush
06-21-2017, 10:13 AM
That doesn't make sense since they were very high on Jackson. I highly doubt he would there at 5 and would take the offer I was them. This GM must be a baffoon:crazy:

eDush
06-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Kings must not feel like Lonzo Ball (or anyone else at #2) has significantly more upside than getting 2 players in the Top 10.Ball is a joke and might be available at 5 if the Lakers are willing to trade the pick away.

JasonJohnHorn
06-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Probably the right move. Two top ten picks give you a better chance at getting a quality player than one... the second picks in the drafts haven't been terribly good, and if the teams working those guys out are willing to trade it.... the options must not be notably greater.

Also... the Warriors built up a super team with picks that weren't higher than 7ths overall (Curry was 7, Klay 11, and Green was 35. Their highest recents picks (5 and 6) turned out to be Barnes and Udoh.

If you draft well and have two top ten picks, you can turn a team around in one or two years.

KnicksorBust
06-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Smart move by the Kings. I am starting to get the impression people are just as high on Jackson/Tatum/Fox as they are on Ball and Fultz. Whether or not that is the right opinion, I'm no expert but that seems to be the feeling. One of those 5 players will fall into Sacto's lap at 5 and then they can go high upside at 10. They should be walking out with a nice combo.

KnicksorBust
06-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Dare I say... fun time to be a Kings fan?

COOLbeans
06-21-2017, 10:31 AM
smart move by the Kings. its a crap shoot with not much difference between 2 and 5 in this draft

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Smith JR (very underrated)
Buddy
Tatum
Skal
WCS

Not bad, they need a stretch 4 though imo.

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 10:35 AM
The Lakers wanted this so they could send one of the picks for George. They're terrified right now that a contender is going to get him.

IndyRealist
06-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Probably a smart non-move by the kings.

Scoots
06-21-2017, 10:39 AM
This draft is deep and the difference between 1 and 5 is far less than it is usually, and the difference between 5 and 10 is less than usual too.

The Kings can reasonably end up with Tatum and Dennis Smith or Isaac and Ntilikina at 5 and 10, and those sound better than just Fox, Jackson, or Ball at #2.

Vinylman
06-21-2017, 10:44 AM
you guys are hilarious...

various reports say there are plenty of teams that have tried to get the #2 pick that are in the top 10... they just don't have what the Lakers want...

If I was a Celtics fan I would pray the Lakers trade that pick so that Jackson is gone at 3 and Ainge will get off his *** and make the deal for Butler...

Not saying the lakers will deal it but this is going to be a very active 24 hours

koldjerky
06-21-2017, 10:51 AM

various reports say there are plenty of teams that have tried to get the #2 pick that are in the top 10... they just don't have what the Lakers want...

If I was a Celtics fan I would pray the Lakers trade that pick so that Jackson is gone at 3 and Ainge will get off his *** and make the deal for Butler...

Not saying the lakers will deal it but this is going to be a very active 24 hours

And this has to do what with the Kings turning down the Lakers offer?

Lakers may not want what others are offering but it seems as though other teams aren't wanting what the Lakers are offering either.

Vinylman
06-21-2017, 10:52 AM
The Lakers wanted this so they could send one of the picks for George. They're terrified right now that a contender is going to get him.

ummm there are only maybe 3 contenders

GS doesn't need him
SA can't afford him
Cleveland dumped their GM when he tried to put a deal together to get him

I don't think the lakers are worried because their ace in the hole is PG... who just tells the acquiring team he won't extend...

Its just poker right now between Magic and Indy... there really is no rush to trade him unless they want the picks in this draft.

Vinylman
06-21-2017, 10:54 AM
And this has to do what with the Kings turning down the Lakers offer?

Lakers may not want what others are offering but it seems as though other teams aren't wanting what the Lakers are offering either.

I wasn't talking specifically about Sacto... I was addressing those saying their isn't a market to move up to #2.. there is ... and the issue isn't what the Lakers are OFFERING... it's what the Lakers are ASKING

hugepatsfan

I think Jackson being available helps facilitate a Butler deal better though.

TheDish87
Smith JR (very underrated)
Buddy
Tatum
Skal
WCS

Not bad, they need a stretch 4 though imo.

so play with no point guard?

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 11:11 AM
ummm there are only maybe 3 contenders

GS doesn't need him
SA can't afford him
Cleveland dumped their GM when he tried to put a deal together to get him

I don't think the lakers are worried because their ace in the hole is PG... who just tells the acquiring team he won't extend...

Its just poker right now between Magic and Indy... there really is no rush to trade him unless they want the picks in this draft.

Multiple teams can build contenders if they get him.

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 11:12 AM
so play with no point guard?

Well Dennis Smith JR is a PG so no....

GoferKing_
06-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Good job Kings. :hi5:

Vinylman
06-21-2017, 11:17 AM
I think Jackson being available helps facilitate a Butler deal better though.

nah... if ainge offered #3 and quality filler right now he could have butler

Vinylman
06-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Multiple teams can build contenders if they get him.

multiple? I guess Boston and Houston are multiple although I doubt Boston is interested if he won't sign an extension.

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 11:34 AM
multiple? I guess Boston and Houston are multiple although I doubt Boston is interested if he won't sign an extension.

Boston Miami Houston, that's 3 right there off the top of my head. Miami and Boston can trade for him and then have enough money to max out another player or sign multiple role players.

JLynn943
06-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Very happy we didn't make this trade.

That doesn't make sense since they were very high on Jackson. I highly doubt he would there at 5 and would take the offer I was them. This GM must be a baffoon:crazy:

What we get at 5 isn't going to be much different than we would at 2 (it could end up being better with how close these prospects are). Fox, Ball, Tatum, or Jackson would all be great adds. The fact we can get another quality prospect at 10 makes not making this trade with the Lakers a no-brainer. Hopefully Vlade doesn't screw it up, but this was a good non-move.

Dare I say... fun time to be a Kings fan?

It has potential to go poorly, but honestly, it really is kind of fun right now....

Ruining the Lakers plans (for now at least) to get PG is icing on the cake

superwill
06-21-2017, 11:50 AM
If a team wants to trade for a guy who's agent has said he's not staying regardless what they do or say would be just stupid unless you're Cleveland. Houston not beating GSW with Paul George Boston not beating GSW and Miami man get the **** out of here it's​ a waste of resources

LA4life24/8
06-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Actually a smart move by the kings (maybe just doing it out of spite?) I think they are in a decent siuation young prospect wise

they could have a lineup like

Fox
hield
isaac? (Maaaaybe)
Skal
wcs

If it werent the kings who are generally piss poorly ran i would say they have a lot of big time upside over the next 5-7 years

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 12:14 PM
If a team wants to trade for a guy who's agent has said he's not staying regardless what they do or say would be just stupid unless you're Cleveland. Houston not beating GSW with Paul George Boston not beating GSW and Miami man get the **** out of here it's​ a waste of resources

The Lakers for sure would be GS!

Vinylman
06-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Boston Miami Houston, that's 3 right there off the top of my head. Miami and Boston can trade for him and then have enough money to max out another player or sign multiple role players.

hook line and sinker... Heat fans are so funny

Sorry dude... Miami isn't even top 2 in the east if they add PG

goingfor28
06-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Smart by Sactown

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

eDush
06-21-2017, 12:20 PM
The Lakers wanted this so they could send one of the picks for George. They're terrified right now that a contender is going to get him.Why are they terrified? ...if he really want to join the Lakers, he would just play out next season and don't sign any extensions, traded elsewhere or not. Then sign with LAL as a UFA. Problem solved unless he want to do a Melo in having the Lakers trade away good picks, players for him :(

Mr Costanza
06-21-2017, 12:22 PM

Absolutely

superwill
06-21-2017, 12:24 PM

No they wouldn't but Paul George and agent has said that's​ the team he wants why blow your assets on a guy that's leaving unless you're Cleveland who's going to the finals makes no sense for the Rockets , Miami, Boston and the Bullets

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 12:32 PM
hook line and sinker... Heat fans are so funny

Sorry dude... Miami isn't even top 2 in the east if they add PG

Dragic
Hayward
George
JJ
Whiteside

Dragic
JRich
George
Griffin
Whiteside

With a deep bench to add to it and good coach that's a contender.

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Why are they terrified? ...if he really want to join the Lakers, he would just play out next season and don't sign any extensions, traded elsewhere or not. Then sign with LAL as a UFA. Problem solved unless he want to do a Melo in having the Lakers trade away good picks, players for him :(

If they weren't terrified they wouldn't be giving up assets for him and would just wait it out.

eDush
06-21-2017, 12:33 PM
This draft is deep and the difference between 1 and 5 is far less than it is usually, and the difference between 5 and 10 is less than usual too.

The Kings can reasonably end up with Tatum and Dennis Smith or Isaac and Ntilikina at 5 and 10, and those sound better than just Fox, Jackson, or Ball at #2.Very good point but Sactown has indicated they are very interested in Jackson who will be gone by 5. It was based on that and I have the Lakers taken him over Ball but we will see...

Fultz and Jackson are my top 2 players and I know talent :nod:

eDush
06-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Why are they terrified? ...if he really want to join the Lakers, he would just play out next season and don't sign any extensions, traded elsewhere or not. Then sign with LAL as a UFA. Problem solved unless he want to do a Melo in having the Lakers trade away good picks, players for him :(

If they weren't terrified they wouldn't be giving up assets for him and would just wait it out.Just have Kobe talked to him on how great LA is :facepalm:

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Wizards and Raptors with George added would also be contenders.

IndyRealist
06-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Wizards and Raptors with George added would also be contenders.

Wizards were reported yesterday to be interested. Speculation was sign and trade otto porter.

IndyRealist
06-21-2017, 12:39 PM

If a contender has his Bird rights, they can offer him more money AND a shot at a ring. LA needs his Bird rights if a contender is in the mix.

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Wizards were reported yesterday to be interested. Speculation was sign and trade otto porter.

Great move for the Wiz, imo not a good move for the Pacers as Porter wants the max. Maybe he'll live up to it but I don't see it.

tp13baby
06-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Very good point but Sactown has indicated they are very interested in Jackson who will be gone by 5. It was based on that and I have the Lakers taken him over Ball but we will see...

What? So LA trades their young PG so they draft another wing player? Come on use common sense.

eDush
06-21-2017, 12:56 PM

If a contender has his Bird rights, they can offer him more money AND a shot at a ring. LA needs his Bird rights if a contender is in the mix.If he cares more about $ with a contender then playing for the Lakers, he should stay with them then. See what I care!
:bang:

eDush
06-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Very good point but Sactown has indicated they are very interested in Jackson who will be gone by 5. It was based on that and I have the Lakers taken him over Ball but we will see...

What? So LA trades their young PG so they draft another wing player? Come on use common sense.I am as Lonzo is like another D'Angelo but weaker on defense and overall ball handling ability at a point man with a corny looking stroke that reminds me of Kidd-Gilchrist stroke looks good. Jackson has a motor that just won't quit and a solid defensive player. Can you say 2 way baby! :clap:

KnicksorBust
06-21-2017, 02:06 PM

The Kings can reasonably end up with Tatum and Dennis Smith or Isaac and Ntilikina at 5 and 10, and those sound better than just Fox, Jackson, or Ball at #2.

This post sums up the situation nicely. At #5 one of the stud SFs will fall into their lap. At #10 one of the really good guards will fall into their lap. Just let the draft come to them and pounce on the value.

Very happy we didn't make this trade.

What we get at 5 isn't going to be much different than we would at 2 (it could end up being better with how close these prospects are). Fox, Ball, Tatum, or Jackson would all be great adds. The fact we can get another quality prospect at 10 makes not making this trade with the Lakers a no-brainer. Hopefully Vlade doesn't screw it up, but this was a good non-move.

It has potential to go poorly, but honestly, it really is kind of fun right now....

Ruining the Lakers plans (for now at least) to get PG is icing on the cake

:) If it does go poorly you can worry about that later. Two top 10 picks!!

mngopher35
06-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Ya I think this was probably the right move with how people have talked about the draft/prospects. Should get a really highly rate guy at 5 and can hope someone you like falls to 10 to try for 2 studs. Not sure there is one guy in that top group clearly standing out.

JLynn943
06-21-2017, 02:52 PM
:) If it does go poorly you can worry about that later. Two top 10 picks!!

True. I'm enjoying it. :) It's great that it's a deep draft, there's a ton of stuff in play to keep everything interesting, and we're going to get two young players with a lot of potential.

JLynn943
06-21-2017, 02:54 PM

I'd be happy with Jackson, but I think it's a smokescreen. We want Fox, and Fox wants us.

eDush
06-21-2017, 03:01 PM

I'd be happy with Jackson, but I think it's a smokescreen. We want Fox, and Fox wants us.Fox is not an elite pg but he can be if he puts in the effort and grow or he can end up like another Trey Burke who look better coming out of Michigan in the draft than Fox imo but we shall see :nod:

JLynn943
06-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Fox is not an elite pg but he can be if he puts in the effort and grow or he can end up like another Trey Burke who look better coming out of Michigan in the draft than Fox imo but we shall see :nod:

It sounds like Fox has phenomenal work effort and loves to study. I'm optimistic about how he'd work under Dave Joerger. Jackson sounds like he could be an excellent player though and I'd definitely welcome him. I just doubt he drops to 5.

Scoots
06-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Fox is not an elite pg but he can be if he puts in the effort and grow or he can end up like another Trey Burke who look better coming out of Michigan in the draft than Fox imo but we shall see :nod:

Fox made a BIG statement about his game against Ball and nobody is going to forget that anytime soon.

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 03:56 PM
None of these PGs are NBA elite, the top few are college elite with very high NBA potential. That's clear as day.

eDush
06-21-2017, 04:23 PM
None of these PGs are NBA elite, the top few are college elite with very high NBA potential. That's clear as day.Fox could in time with dedicated hard work and guidance even tho he doesn't those natural elite abilities like a CP3/DWill going into the draft. I would take him at 5 :nod: but not at 2...
:no:

WaDe03
06-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Fox could in time with dedicated hard work and guidance even tho he doesn't those natural elite abilities like a CP3/DWill going into the draft. I would take him at 5 :nod: but not at 2...
:no:

What natural elite abilities are you talking about? :confused: He's far more athletic than the 2 guys you named :nod: and destroyed the guy who is going to get drafted 2nd both times they went head to head :clap:

Rivera
06-21-2017, 05:57 PM
i would say this was good by the kings. but man its hard to trust that organization right now. I wouldnt be surprised if they took 2 players from overseas who cant contribute this year or maybe never :laugh2:

KB24PG16
06-21-2017, 06:14 PM
ramona shelbourne said the lakers have no interest in trading the #2 pick, tough to say who is telling the truth here

static_inferno
06-21-2017, 08:46 PM
The only reason I could see why Magic would want to do this is to dump Deng's contract. They would package whichever pick they are willing to give along with Deng for Paul George. If they aren't enamored with Ball they can still draft a player they like, dump Deng's contract, and keep Randle and Clarkson.

eDush
06-21-2017, 10:41 PM
The only reason I could see why Magic would want to do this is to dump Deng's contract. They would package whichever pick they are willing to give along with Deng for Paul George. If they aren't enamored with Ball they can still draft a player they like, dump Deng's contract, and keep Randle and Clarkson.If they wanted to dump Deng's contract they would have gotten the Nets to take em too but Deng is an experience wing forward vet who can provide solid D which is why they signed him duh :facepalm:

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-21-2017, 11:14 PM
Smart of the kings to turn it down but Im glad the Lakers asked. These guys actually know what they're doing.

Aust
06-21-2017, 11:17 PM
So many mixed signals on how we feel about Ball. I would love to be a fly on the wall in our FO's room.

eDush
06-21-2017, 11:22 PM
So many mixed signals on how we feel about Ball. I would love to be a fly on the wall in our FO's room.I would even be a fly on his Ball to get the inside scoop :nod: