PDA

View Full Version : Who wins NBA Rookie of the Year next season?

Tg11
06-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Out of the NBA draft class of 2017 that will be coming into the league next season out of that crop who wins Rookie of the Year next season?

Fultz
Ball
De' Aaron Fox
Tatum
Josh Jackson
Isaac
Monk
Smith Jr.
Markkanen
Ntilkina

Or if none of these players win Rookie of the Year then who do you think does?

My pick to win NBA Rookie of the Year will be Ben Simmons of the 76ers provided Simmons is 100 percent healthy and plays a full season then he is my pick

Scoots
06-20-2017, 03:37 PM
It depends where they land.

Tg11
06-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Yeah but even so Simmons is probably the best bet as far as Rookie of the Year goes because he hasn't even played a game yet but if Simmons lives up to his hype then Rookie of the Year is as good as sealed

Aust
06-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Simmons/Fulz would be an interesting teammate race.

Fultz for his scoring and Simmons for filling up a stat sheet.

Tg11
06-20-2017, 03:59 PM
It is between Simmons and Fultz

TheDish87
06-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Fultz/Simmons will be the favorites but need to see how the draft shakes out. Certain guys stand a chance depending where they land.

Tg11
06-20-2017, 04:04 PM
If Lonzo is in that Purple & Gold could he win Rookie of the Year? It is possible but I doubt it

koldjerky
06-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Simmons/Fulz would be an interesting teammate race.

Fultz for his scoring and Simmons for filling up a stat sheet.

Sixers almost had that this season too with Saric/Embiid. Kind of nice to see.

Scoots
06-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Simmons should not be eligible for ROY. I know he is, but he, Embiid, Griffin, Saric ... they should all be ineligible since they were not amateur basketball players the year before their NBA debut. Saric is an argument I'd consider ... but Simmons, Embiid, and Griffin were all with their NBA teams all year when they were injured as rookies.

Tg11
06-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Okay but Simmons never played a game for his team though so in all essence it does make him eligible

Aust
06-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Fultz/Simmons will be the favorites but need to see how the draft shakes out. Certain guys stand a chance depending where they land.

True, location is important. A player could go to a team with a gaping hole at a spot and just put up big numbers.

If Lonzo is in that Purple & Gold could he win Rookie of the Year? It is possible but I doubt it

Highly doubt it.

Sixers almost had that this season too with Saric/Embiid. Kind of nice to see.

Pretty crazy 2 seasons in a row.

WestCoastSportz
06-20-2017, 06:03 PM
If I had to make a prediction before the draft, I would say Dennis Smith Jr. He's my favorite player in this draft and reminds me of Baron Davis.

Jeffy25
06-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Don't forget about Simmons

mrblisterdundee
06-27-2017, 11:29 AM
This thread kind of got ruined coming out before the draft happened, but one of my thoughts never changed before or after: a point guard is going to win rookie of the year. Fox and Ball have the best chance, stepping into the fray from day one. Fultz and Simmons would be obvious choices, but I think that although good, they'll cancel each other out of the top spot. I could see them both finishing top five.

Storch
06-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Fox

TheDish87
06-27-2017, 11:42 AM
now that players have been drafted my top 5 would go:

Simmons
Ball
Fox
Fultz
Jackson

GREATNESS ONE
06-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Lonzo Ball.

mavwar53
06-27-2017, 12:10 PM
I say fox because of the opportunity he will have to take control of the team on his own

Chewbacca
06-27-2017, 12:27 PM
I would love for Ball to win it but I believe Simmons will win it. He's going to be special.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-27-2017, 02:15 PM
I think Fox is gonna put up a good year.

TylerSL
06-27-2017, 04:07 PM
I would say this is the order

1. Ben Simmons-Even though he didn't play he already has a year under his belt learning the 76ers system. He will be more productive in 17-18 than he would have been in 16-17 coming out of college. If Simmons was eligible for the 2017 draft, he would have been the #1 pick again. If Simmons and Embiid stay on the court this season, along with Fultz, Philadelphia can shock some people this year.

2. Lonzo Ball-Unless the Lakers trade for a star like Paul George Lonzo will be the face of the Lakers. He will be the man whereas other rookies won't have the freedom offensively that he will.

3. De'Aaron Fox-Like Ball, Fox will run the show for his team also. Only, the Lakers are better situated this upcoming season than the Kings so I expect Ball's team to give him a boost over Fox's in that regard. Also, voters will place scoring in high regard and Lonzo will certainly average more points than Fox.

4. Joshua Jackson-Phoenix has the potential to break out this season and make the playoffs. If the Suns manage that and the teams of the rookies above do not, Jackson could get the award, especially if he becomes one of their better players (which he should).

5. Markelle Fultz-He is at a strong disadvantage on the award because of Simmons. Simmons will certainly play a greater role and is also eligible for the award, so if the Rookie of the Year award goes to Philadelphia this year, it would be unlikely to be for Fultz. That said, I still give Fultz a chance over the rest because they will fight for playing time (Tatum) or be on sorry teams (Ntilikina, Markkanen)

LA4life24/8
06-27-2017, 04:52 PM
My guess is ball simmons or fox .. they will likely be the ones with the ball in their hands the most making plays, scoring, assisting pushing fast breaks.

Simmons could likely win cuz he has the best chance to fill out a stat sheet and we all know how much hype the stat sheets bring

Gun to my head: simmons. Ball close 2nd tho

Aust
06-27-2017, 04:58 PM
Our 3 best shooters from last season are no longer on the team so Lonzo is going to be missing out on a lot of assists from guys shooting bricks. Having a stretch 5 in Lopez will help though.

LA4life24/8
06-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Our 3 best shooters from last season are no longer on the team so Lonzo is going to be missing out on a lot of assists from guys shooting bricks. Having a stretch 5 in Lopez will help though.

Yeah maybe he can get into some pick and pop w blo ... i know pnr isnt really either of their strong points but it might be a good place/person for lonzo to start working on it with

YamanTV
06-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Probably Markelle Fultz

Heediot
06-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Post draft DeAron Fox.

Post Free agency will determine my final view.

mjqusoldier
06-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Frank Ntkilina

Stunner
06-27-2017, 10:26 PM
Lauri the markksman

Mr.B
06-28-2017, 10:42 AM
DSJ. He's going to get a ton of minutes and the only guys on the Mavs roster that could "challenge" him for playing time are JJ Barea and Yogi Ferrell.

mike44
06-28-2017, 11:21 AM
I think one of Simmons or fultz. Having Simmons will actually help fultz imo since he is more of a distributor and fultz is a scorer.

kobe4thewinbang
06-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Simmons or Fultz and possibly Lonzo if Lakers get him some shooters in FA.

FlashBolt
06-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Lonzo is getting the highest USG%. Fultz and Simmons are going to split that USG% and with Embiid there, I can't see them outperforming Lonzo. It's all about stats with ROY so I gotta go with Lonzo.

crewfan13
06-29-2017, 01:29 PM
If you look historically, of last 15 winners, 14 have been lotto picks (Brogdon being the exception). 12 have been top 10 (amare and mcw won from pick 11). 10 of 15 have been top 5 picks (Brandon Roy and Damian lillard were pick 6). 9 of 15 have been top 3 (Tyreke was pick 4) with 6 of 15 being the top overall guy. So if you're a betting man, a top 3 pick is the way to go.

Opportunity also plays a big role, so for now, removing Tatum probably makes sense as most ROY candidates are not on playoff caliber teams.

If you split it into true bigs (centers and non-shooting pfs), wings (shooting pfs, sfs, and off ball SGs) and ball handling guards (PGs and sgs that had handle the ball a bunch), you get 4 true bigs, 3 wings and 8 ball handling guards. One thing to note on that, is while wing appears to be the hardest position to win from, 2/3 to win it have been truly special players (Lebron and Durant). So if you think Simmons is truly special, I'd bet on him. Since I'm not sure he really is, it's probably safer to bet on guards.

Of the 8 guards to win it, Carter Williams was more pass first. Chris Paul was balanced. I'm not sure what you'd consider Brogdon, who's sort of the outlier in this whole thing. But the rest were more score first, especially early in their career. So if you look at historical trends, fultz appears to be the best bet as the top overall pick and a scoring, higher usage guard. Unless you think Simmons is a transcendent talent on the wing, then he'd be the call.