PDA

View Full Version : Boston Red Sox Transactions 2017

Soxfan85
06-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Eduardo Rodriguez will be placed on the disabled list with a knee injury.
Rodriguez slipped and tweaked his knee during warm-ups prior to Thursday's start. He pitched through it but didn't look like himself, giving up four home runs and seven runs on the night. It's unclear how much time he might miss. Brian Johnson is an obvious candidate to take Rodriguez's rotation spot

Michael Silverman

RedSoxtober
06-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Red Sox starter Eduardo Rodriguez is going on the disabled list after sustaining a knee injury in a slip in the bullpen Thursday night, according to a baseball source.

Rodriguez pitched poorly (seven runs, four home runs, in 5-2/3 innings), his worst start of the season, but denied afterwards that he had hurt himself in the tumble during pregame warm-ups.

"No," he said after his start as to whether or not he was pitching hurt. He described his fall in vague terms: "I don't know if I can tell you. I just threw a pitch and my foot got in a bad position and I went down. But nothing crazy. I just landed a bit different, and that's it."

According to the source, the injury did not affect Rodriguez enough physically for him to say he could not pitch, and after the game he did not want to use the incident as an excuse for his outing.
Boston Herald

Soxfan85
06-02-2017, 04:08 PM
I like that he tried to pitch thru it. I only blame JF if ERod told him and He told him to try to pitch thru it. Then that's not right

@LouMerloni

Chtistian Vazquez says he could tell was off with ERod as game went on last night, starting with dip in velocity

@bradfo

Pittz
06-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Welp, let's see what Johnson has. A 10-day stint is fine, but if this is one of those lingering things (whether mental or physical) and ERod isn't right for months... ****.

Soxfan85
06-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Red Sox placed LHP Eduardo Rodriguez on the 10-day disabled list with a right knee subluxation.
Rodriguez slipped and tweaked his knee during warm-ups prior to Thursday's start. He pitched through it but didn't look like himself, giving up four home runs and seven runs on the night. It's the same knee that caused him to get a late start to last season and also gave him issues during winter ball. The hope is that is'a short-term issue for Rodriguez, but more will be known when he gets a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews on Monday. Brian Johnson is likely to take Rodriguez's rotation spot, although the Red Sox don't need a fifth starter until June 10.

Pete Abraham

Not good.

RedSoxtober
06-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Meh, Andrews is synonymous with elbows and TJ so his name doesn't scare me quite as much here. EdRo's long history with that right knee is already a problem, disrupting three straight seasons. Worst case, losing him for this season, would still be palatable if that injury never occurs again.

Soxfan85
06-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Evan Drellich of CSN New England reports that Dr. James Andrews has recommended that Eduardo Rodriguez (knee) be shut down for 3-4 weeks.
The hope is that Rodriguez's right knee would feel better after the shutdown period and he'd be able to avoid surgery, but a season-ending operation would be on the table if he doesn't recover as hoped. If he does eventually go under the knife, the recovery period would be 5-6 months. Even if he successfully rehabs, it looks like we won't see Rodriguez until at least late July at the earliest. Rodriguez is dealing with a right knee subluxation, which is a fancy way of saying he has a dislocated kneecap. It's something that's bothered him a few times off and on since last season. Brian Johnson is in line to fill Rodriguez's spot in the Red Sox' rotation, assuming his ailing hamstring is well enough

CSN New England

RedSoxtober
06-06-2017, 11:29 AM
^^^ Different but related....

Brian Johnson has a good chance at pitching for the Red Sox this weekend, after all.
According to a team source, the pitcher’s hamstring is no longer giving him discomfort, with Johnson having tested the leg with a throwing session Sunday. The lefty had experienced what was classified as a cramp when falling down after delivering a pitch Saturday in Durham, N.C.

Johnson was forced to leave his start after the second-inning incident, leaving his availability to replace Eduardo Rodriguez in the Red Sox’ rotation for the coming weekend in doubt.

But after the improvement over the past 72 hours, and a few extra days of rest, Johnson still appears to be the favorite to make the start against Detroit at Fenway Park.weei.com

RedSoxtober
06-12-2017, 03:29 PM
"[Eduardo Rodriguez is] actually going through a lower-body lift right now, a lower-body workout," manager John Farrell said before Sunday night's game against the Tigers. "How we're approaching this post-injury is pretty much in five-day phases. It would be increased agility work, increased running. We still have to take him through some [pitchers' fielding practice], all those types of markers along the way. Optimistically, to get him on the mound in the next five days would be a really good sign."mlb.com

Soxfan85
06-15-2017, 08:03 PM
I've decided to make a forum for Red Sox's transactions. This will include. Callups, Sent down, DL's.
I don't want to clutter up IGT with transactions. Please remember to quote your sources.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Red Sox explored a long-term deal with Mookie Betts this past winter.
But talks apparently didn't get too far and Heyman writes Thursday that the 24-year-old outfielder has "decided he’s comfortable going year to year" for now. Betts is making just $950,000 this season despite finishing second in the 2016 American League MVP voting. He has a big payday coming in the off season as a first-time arbitration guy. Betts is scheduled to reach free agency after the 2020 campaign.

Jon Heyman

Red Sox placed LHP Brian Johnson on the 10-day disabled list with a left shoulder impingement.
Johnson suffered the injury in the third inning of his start Wednesday night against the Phillies. He was officially charged with three earned runs over 2 2/3 frames, raising his season ERA to 4.29. There is no current timetable for his return

Rotoworld

Red Sox transferred LHP Roenis Elias from the 10-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
Elias has been out all season due to lat and intercostal injuries. There is no clear timetable for his return to live action

Rotoworld

Tyler Thornburg will undergo season-ending surgery Friday for thoracic outlet syndrome.
A very tough blow for the Red Sox, who traded Travis Shaw and three legitimate prospects to the Brewers over the winter in exchange for Thornburg. The 28-year-old setup man came down with shoulder problems early in spring training and has yet to appear in a game for Boston. He registered a 2.15 ERA and 90/25 K/BB ratio over 67 innings last season with Milwaukee.

Pete Abraham

Carson Smith (elbow) threw one inning in a simulated game on Thursday.
He's headed back to Boston for a checkup and is hoping to get the green light to begin a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket on Sunday. Smith's recovery from Tommy John surgery takes on greater importance now that Tyler Thornburg (thoracic outlet surgery) has been ruled out for the year. Barring a setback, Smith should be back around the All-Star break.

Pete Abraham

Eduardo Rodriguez (knee) completed a 33-pitch bullpen session on Thursday.
Beat writer Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe said Rodriguez was "ecstatic" after his session. Rodriguez was expected to resume agility drills before throwing again but instead he did it the other way around. E-Rod will need at least one rehab start before he's ready to rejoin the starting rotation. The Red Sox could sure use him now that Brian Johnson (shoulder) is also on the shelf.

Pete Abraham

Hector Velazquez will replace Brian Johnson (shoulder) in the Red Sox's starting rotation.
Johnson was just placed on the DL with a left shoulder impingement. With Eduardo Rodriguez (knee) still a few weeks away, Velazquez is the best the Red Sox have right now. He's lined up to start Monday's series opener in Kansas City.

Evan Drellich

Soxfan85
06-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Carson Smith won't begin a rehab assignment Sunday as expected. He'll instead be shut down for four or five days with shoulder inflammation

brianmacp

I have a feeling he's not going to be pitching again. Hope he doesn't need another TJ. Hopefully it's nothing major.,

RedSoxtober
06-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a compensation issue but I'm not reading anything other than what you posted. DD may have won on his big ticket trades but, man, has he gotten his clock cleaned on the next level (Smith, Thornburg, Pomeranz).

Soxfan85
06-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Red Sox placed 3B Pablo Sandoval on the 10-day disabled list with an inner ear infection.
It's the second trip to the disabled list this season for Sandoval, who has been mostly sitting in favor of Josh Rutledge of late. Sandoval is batting just .212/.269/.354 this season

Rotoworld

RedSoxtober
06-21-2017, 09:35 AM
LOL, I bet the inner ear infection cleared up super fast when he got antibiotics. Nice diagnosis that cannot be confirmed by any other doc. This might be the best phantom injury of all time. They should have just called it "eye suck."

Eduardo Rodriguez looks to be on the verge of coming back.

Prior to his team taking on the Royals Monday night, Red Sox manager John Farrell said Rodriguez's right knee has progressed to the point where the Red Sox are planning on him facing hitters later this week. If all goes well, Rodriguez is slated to get a rehab start in the minor leagues.weei.com

“Initiated some change of direction a little (yesterday),” Farrell said. “He ran some stadium (steps). The change of direction, a little bit of (pitcher’s fielding practice) with some light ground-ball work. He’ll throw another bullpen (today). The advancement of the change of direction and the added intensity of the running (is) kind of the final stage here. He’s set for the bullpen tomorrow. He’ll throw to some hitters live on Saturday, then probably toward the middle or latter part of next week, we’d like to get him in a game on a rehab assignment.”Boston Herald

Station 13
06-22-2017, 08:53 PM
LOL, I bet the inner ear infection cleared up super fast when he got antibiotics. Nice diagnosis that cannot be confirmed by any other doc. This might be the best phantom injury of all time. They should have just called it "eye suck."

weei.com

Boston Herald

Geez, somebody make Panda some chicken soup too while his antibiotic go to work.

What a slob. Get rid of him.

Soxfan85
06-23-2017, 02:38 PM
The Red Sox have indeed claimed Doug Fister off waivers, as @ChrisCotillo reported

@EvanDrellich

Low Risk High reward

You won’t have to wait to see Doug Fister pitch a game in a Red Sox uniform.

The right-hander will start Sunday’s game against the Angels, which was originally supposed to be Hector Velazquez. Fister will take a red-eye from California Friday night and land in Boston around 5 a.m. Saturday morning.

Speaking prior to Friday’s game, president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski revealed the Red Sox tried to acquire him earlier this year, but the Angels beat them to it.

The Red Sox continued to scout his three starts at Triple-A as he had a June 21 opt out with the Angels if he wasn’t on the major league roster. He wasn't this week so then became available again and the Red Sox pounced.

“He’s never been a big velocity guy, he’s an average velocity, he even ticked a little bit below that the last couple years,” Dombrowski said. “But when we saw him, he was 89-90, good cutter, good curveball, knows how to pitch, good sink, holds runners well, he’s a championship caliber makeup player. He’s a quality individual, hard worker, great shape and we think he can help us.”weei.com

Soxfan85
06-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Red Sox signed INF Jhonny Peralta to a minor league contract.
It's a good landing spot for Peralta, as the Red Sox have been desperate for a contribution from their third basemen this season. Of course, he's no guarantee to be an improvement given his .251/.299/.376 line since the beginning of last season. Still, the 35-year-old is worth a shot on a minor league deal. He'll report to Triple-A Pawtucket on Monday

Rotoworld

RedSoxtober
06-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Rutledge landed on the seven-day concussion DL with an injury that the Red Sox concluded dates to Memorial Day, writes Benbow.

That Rutledge played for weeks with a concussion exposes a flaw in a sporting culture reliant on self-reporting of concussion symptoms, writes Chris Mason of the Eagle-Tribune.

With Rutledge down, Marrero moves into the position of the Red Sox’ primary third baseman. Tzu-Wei Lin , a 23-year-old signed out of Taiwan in 2012 who (with Marrero in the majors) was the best defensive utility infielder in the system, was called up from Double A Portland as the Sox’ utility infield reserve. Lin made his big league debut by playing two innings at third base on Saturday, becoming the eighth Red Sox to play third base this year.

Righthander Carson Smith remained shut down due to shoulder soreness through the weekend. As Tim Britton of the Providence Journal notes, the fact that Red Sox officials spoke in terms of their hope that Smith will still be able to help sometime this year – rather than the immediate future – casts an ominous cloud around the notion that he’ll be able to reinforce the bullpen before the July 31 trade deadline.

Though the Red Sox hope to avoid using Joe Kelly on back-to-back days, when he’s available, he’ll now serve as the Red Sox’ primary eighth-inning option, replacing struggling righthander Matt BarnesSpeier

Soxfan85
06-29-2017, 07:57 PM
1st Rehab for E-Rod 3IP|9H|6R|5ER|3SO| 1 HR|

Eduardo Rodriguez gets a 6-4-3 to end the damage in the first: 4 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 0 K. 14 pitches/10 strikes. FB sitting at 92 mph. Slider 87

ClearTheBases

RedSoxtober
06-30-2017, 04:19 PM
The overall line looked kinda crappy but he threw 67% of his pitches for strikes and struck out the side in his final inning. Has the earmarks of a guy just getting his feel back for game action. I'd probably send him back for a second rehab where he'd focus on results but I am not overly concerned about the line from Portland.

Soxfan85
06-30-2017, 07:33 PM
Red Sox released INF/OF Allen Craig.
The Red Sox are eating $6.64 million between what Craig is owed for the remainder of this season, plus his $1 million buyout for 2017. An All-Star in 2013, Craig has just never been the same since suffering a foot injury in 2014. Slated to turn 33 next month, he was hitting .253/.352/.316 with one homer at Triple-A Pawtucket.

Rotoworld

Crovash
07-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Rotoworld

IT happens from time to time.

RedSoxtober
07-03-2017, 11:05 AM
I'm a little surprised that it took so long TBH. I won't be shocked to see this be a move to clear space for Devers at AAA. Devers/Sandoval/Peralta could rotate at PAW through 3B/DH while they figure out which of the three has a realistic chance of making an impact this season.

It could also help send a message to Pablo.

RedSoxtober
07-03-2017, 02:03 PM
WTF? Really?

The Red Sox traded first base prospect Nick Longhi to the Cincinnati Reds to add space in the organization’s international amateur signing bonus pool.

In 62 games at first base for Double A Portland, Longhi hit .262/.306/.401, and was tied for second in RBIs with 33. The 21-year-old from Springfield was ranked as Boston’s No. 9 prospect by MLBPipeline.com.Boston Globe

The Allen
07-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Meh.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Soxfan85
07-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Eduardo Rodriguez did not put up encouraging numbers in Pawtucket tonight: 4 IP, 4 R, 4 H, 5 BB, 5 K 88/47

JMastrodonato

I think we will be see alot more Fister until E-Rod gets it together.

RedSoxtober
07-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Meh.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

He was one of the few guys in the system considered to have some power potential. Trading that for international cap space seems foolish to me.

RedSoxtober
07-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Eduardo Rodriguez should be back in the starting rotation for the Red Sox after the All-star break.

“I’m ready to pitch, whenever they need me,” Rodriguez said on Thursday before the Sox played the Tampa Bay Rays. “My knee is fine now.”

The lefthander is scheduled to start for Triple A Pawtucket on Sunday against Buffalo and will then go into the major league rotation. He is likely to slot in July 17 or 18 against TorontoSpeier

Soxfan85
07-09-2017, 11:51 AM
ChrisMason
Per John Farrell, the Red Sox are targeting Tuesday/Wednesday for Carson Smith to get back on the mound. It'd be in Fort Myers.

ChrisMason

Soxfan85
07-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Strong rehab outing for Eduardo Rodriguez in Pawtucket - 6 shutout innings, 4 hits with 0 BB & 7 SO on 87 pitches. PawSox lead Buffalo 1-0

Pawtucket

Crovash
07-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Got its own thread, I know, but just sayin' again: Sandoval is toast.

Soxfan85
07-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Swihart’s ankle will not allow him to catch regularly, so Red Sox will move him around IF in addition to catching, Farrell said.

TimBritton

He will also play 1B/3B.

Soxfan85
07-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Dbacks acquire OF J.D. Martinez from @tigers for INFs Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara, Jose King

MLBRosterMoves

Very unlikley he would have come here. Now just need to get bullpen help. 3B just leave it alone. Unless the price is right for Frazier otherwise just roll with Lin/Deven,Holt.

Redsox Needs

Bullpen help need an 8th inning guy.

3B: If the prospects are not ridiculous

Need a big power bat utility player.

RedSoxtober
07-27-2017, 09:20 PM
What's the latest on Smith?
-- @SportsTweet89

The right-hander might finally be turning that final corner to be cleared to go on a Minor League rehab assignment. Smith's recent throwing sessions have gone well. In an ideal world, Smith will throw another bullpen session or two, face hitters once or twice, and then pitch in some Minor League games. Given how long he's been out, I think mid-August is a fair estimate for his return to Boston.mlb.com

RedSoxtober
07-27-2017, 09:52 PM
The Red Sox will designate lefty Luis Ysla for assignment, Jen McCaffrey of MassLive.com tweets. His 40-man spot will go to just-acquired infielder Eduardo Nunez.

Boston will also make two other adjoining moves. Righty Ben Taylor is headed to the disabled list, while fellow reliever Blaine Boyer will return from his own time on the DL.

Ysla had been added to the 40-man roster last fall, in advance of the Rule 5 draft. But the 25-year-old has yet to advance to the majors. Instead, Ysla has stalled out this year at Double-A, working to a 5.05 ERA with 8.5 K/9 and 6.2 BB/9 over 46 1/3 innings.

RedSoxtober
07-28-2017, 04:30 PM
The Red Sox made another roster move on Friday besides sending David Price to the DL.

Following acquiring him in a trade earlier this week, the Red Sox added infielder Eduardo Núñez to the 25-man roster. Núñez was acquired from the Giants in exchange for minor league right-handed pitchers Shaun Anderson and Gregory Santos. He hit .308 (93-for-302) with 20 doubles, four home runs, and 31 RBI in 76 games for the Giants this season, adding 18 stolen bases in 23 attempts.

To make room for Núñez on the 25-man roster, infielder Deven Marrero has been optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Núñez will wear No. 36 for the Red Sox.weei.com

RedSoxtober
07-31-2017, 12:04 PM
Of course, president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski had hoped that it wouldn’t be necessary to acquire such a pitcher during the season. Two recent trade acquisitions — Carson Smith and Tyler Thornburg — were expected to be back in action by this point. At this stage, though, Boston won’t be counting on a contribution from either.M L B t r

RedSoxtober
08-04-2017, 03:38 PM
The Red Sox are targeting Saturday to activate reliever Joe Kelly from the disabled list.

The right-hander completed a perfect inning of relief while on a rehab assignment for Triple-A Pawtucket on Wednesday night. Kelly threw eight pitches -- six for strikes -- and struck out one.

"It was a quick inning of work [Wednesday] night," Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Thursday's series opener against the White Sox at Fenway Park. "He went down to the bullpen, was able to get up over 20-plus pitches combined between the inning of work and some bullpen work. Arm-wise and hamstring-wise, he came out of it fine."
MLB.com

Soxfan85
08-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Red Sox acquired OF Rajai Davis from the Athletics for OF Rafael Rincones.
This is a nice trade for the Red Sox, who add a true speed threat in Davis and bolster their outfield depth in the process. The veteran outfielder is hitting .233/.294/.353 with five homers, 18 RBI and 49 runs scored in an even 100 games. He has stolen 26 bases on the year.

Roto

Soxtober040713
08-31-2017, 04:05 PM
Could the Sox be the mystery team on Verlander? A 1-4 of Sale-Verlander-Pomeranz-Porcello would be a nice playoff rotation. Than if Price comes back next year even better and if he doesn't we have Verlander as insurance for the yr. What would you give up?

Soxfan85
08-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Could the Sox be the mystery team on Verlander? A 1-4 of Sale-Verlander-Pomeranz-Porcello would be a nice playoff rotation. Than if Price comes back next year even better and if he doesn't we have Verlander as insurance for the yr. What would you give up?

I would think the mystery team in the Dodgers. We don't to have another large contract on our hand

RedSoxtober
09-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Damn. Verlander to the Astros for three prospects. I doubt that we're going to catch them for the top record in the AL now.

RedSoxtober
09-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Although the timetable for David Price’s return remains murky, manager John Farrell yesterday sounded as encouraged as he’d been all season.

Price threw a 29-pitch bullpen session at Yankee Stadium, his second time throwing off a mound since going on the disabled list at the end of July with recurring soreness in his left elbow.

With 27 games left to play, the Red Sox are up against the clock to get Price ready to pitch again, but yesterday seemed to be a significant step forward.

“I’ll be honest with you, it was impressive,” Farrell said. “It was powerful, fastball (and) changeup. He came out of it feeling really good and really encouraged by it. As we’ve done with every throwing session, we’ll see where he’s at (before moving forward).”Boston Herald

Soxfan85
12-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Red Sox announce that they have tendered contracts to all 34 unsigned players on their roster.

Sean_McAdam

This is a first. Usually see most if not half declined. So how much $$ do we have for FA?

RedSoxtober
12-01-2017, 08:20 PM
I think maybe you misread that. It means that everyone on the 40-man roster was tendered a contract. There's no way that "most if not half" of the 40-man roster is non-tendered in a given year. Maybe you were thinking of the arbitration cases where it is not unusual to "non-tender" arbitration guys. It's still less common than what you suggested... generally 2-3 guys in their second or third year of arb who are expected to win a larger case via arb than the team is willing to pay.

The Braves are hoping to trade 1B Matt Adams before the deadline. I wouldn't mind taking a run at him as a low-cost option at 1B. I'm increasingly concerned about the long-term financial side of things for the Sox.

Soxfan85
12-01-2017, 09:35 PM
I think maybe you misread that. It means that everyone on the 40-man roster was tendered a contract. There's no way that "most if not half" of the 40-man roster is non-tendered in a given year. Maybe you were thinking of the arbitration cases where it is not unusual to "non-tender" arbitration guys. It's still less common than what you suggested... generally 2-3 guys in their second or third year of arb who are expected to win a larger case via arb than the team is willing to pay.

The Braves are hoping to trade 1B Matt Adams before the deadline. I wouldn't mind taking a run at him as a low-cost option at 1B. I'm increasingly concerned about the long-term financial side of things for the Sox.

Yes :facepalm: to me brain not working today sorry lol

RedSoxtober
12-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Red Sox and RHP Tyler Thornburg avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.05 million contract.

Sean McAdam was first to report news of the salary, which matches what he made in 2017. The Red Sox sent Travis Shaw and three prospects to the Brewers for Thornburg last winter, he missed the entire season with shoulder issues and required surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome in mid-June. He'll hope for better luck on the health front in 2018.roto

Soxfan85
12-04-2017, 05:47 PM
roto

This is one of the worst trades DD has made.

RedSoxtober
12-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Red Sox re-signed INF Mike Olt to a minor league contract.

Olt spent the 2017 season with the Double-A affiliate of the Red Sox in Portland, Maine, slashing .245/.332/.436 with 16 home runs and 57 RBI in 113 games. The 29-year-old former supplemental first-round pick of the Rangers last appeared in a major league game in 2015 with the White Sox.roto #ws2k18