PDA

View Full Version : Top-three team promised pick to Josh Jackson

mrblisterdundee
06-15-2017, 12:33 AM
The Ringer had an article speculating after John Gambadoro, a host on Arizona Sports 98.7, tweeted that a top-three team promised to pick Josh Jackson (https://twitter.com/Gambo987):

John Gambadoro reported Monday that Jackson had received a promise from a team in the top three  the Celtics (probably not), the Lakers (insert emoji eyes here), or the Sixers (interesting). The news was compounded by immediate reports that Jackson canceled his workout with the Celtics, while just Tuesday, he opted in for a second workout with the Lakers because, he said, Of course, Im not gonna tell them no.
- Paolo Uggetti, The Ringer (https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-josh-jackson-top-three-promise-7e839c0567c9)

LOb0
06-15-2017, 01:15 AM
Wasn't he a projected top 3 anyway?

Kyben36
06-15-2017, 02:17 AM
something to me says Lakers. 6ers need shooting too bad to that promise. plus. they are in talks trade out.

IndyRealist
06-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Wasn't he a projected top 3 anyway?

If he received a promise, it's likely the Lakers. Would you turn down a workout with the Celtics at #1 for a promise from the Sixers at #3?

Gonna be interesting on draft day to watch Lavar squirm as Lonzo Ball drops.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2017, 09:18 AM
I hope Ball drops to Sacramento.

LA4life24/8
06-15-2017, 09:27 AM
This guy has been right about a few things apparently he half broke the nash to la trade.

Buut i doubt very seriously the lakers made a promise to anyone yet.

They still are bringing ball in for a 2nd workout out Friday so...

For them it does appear to be down to ball or JJ though. No 2nd workout for fox

BKLYNpigeon
06-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Josh Jackson is the modern NBA player. He's a long wing defender that can score. Right now pgs are a dime a dozen.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Josh Jackson is the modern NBA player. He's a long wing defender that can score. Right now pgs are a dime a dozen.

he is like a less athletic Wiggins with a motor. Works for me.

IndyRealist
06-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Buddy Hield's playing combo for them and doing pretty well​. Why Sacramento?

Hawkeye15
06-15-2017, 10:57 AM
Buddy Hield's playing combo for them and doing pretty well​. Why Sacramento?

because it's a **** show of dysfunction, and Ball annoys me to no end (well, his Dad). Let him go to purgatory.

IndyRealist
06-15-2017, 11:11 AM
because it's a **** show of dysfunction, and Ball annoys me to no end (well, his Dad). Let him go to purgatory.

Lol. I want Ball to do well. He's not responsible for his dad. I just want him to do well in Milwaukee. Or Orlando. Somwhere as far from LA as possible.

mrblisterdundee
06-15-2017, 11:15 AM

The defense would suck, but that would be a pretty sweet young back court offensively. I'm waiting for the front office to screw it up, but Sacramento would have a bright young talent at every position except small forward.
As it stands though, I don't see Ball falling past No. 3. He fits too well in Philadelphia, which doesn't need any of what Sacramento would be selling.

IndyRealist
06-15-2017, 11:20 AM
This guy has been right about a few things apparently he half broke the nash to la trade.

Buut i doubt very seriously the lakers made a promise to anyone yet.

They still are bringing ball in for a 2nd workout out Friday so...

For them it does appear to be down to ball or JJ though. No 2nd workout for fox

If there is a promise, it's gotta be the Lakers. Only thing that makes sense. I'd still do workouts too, you never know who might trade up or give you a chance to trade back.

KingPosey
06-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Eeeaaaassssyyyy man, some of us Kings fans gotta hope.

KnicksorBust
06-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Eeeaaaassssyyyy man, some of us Kings fans gotta hope.

Who are you hoping for?

rjcv177
06-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Question for Suns GM ;)

What would u do with Bledsoe AFTER you get Ball to play with Booker?

On Draft night this could go like this:

Fultz is a lock
Lakers pick Jackson (better prospect) and steal 76ers guy
Sacramento get 3rd from Sixers with 5+WCS/Mclemore
Phoenix has Ball available and can pair him with Booker and risings TJ adn Chriss - That's awesome
Sixers go for Tatum (he has ppg in him to play with simmons and embiid)
Magic probably go Monk if they believe in Payton, or Smith Jr
Wolves get Isaac to play with KAT and wiggins
NY takes Smith Jr or Ntilikina

Again, what trade make sense with Bledsoe (and Knight)??

LA4life24/8
06-15-2017, 12:09 PM
If there is a promise, it's gotta be the Lakers. Only thing that makes sense. I'd still do workouts too, you never know who might trade up or give you a chance to trade back.

I hope it is the lakers. As a fan id much rather have JJ. I think the versatility he brings to LA fits the modern era of ball so much more and he can help create more of an atmosphere of positionless basketball for them.

Could still get george and run any combo of pg ingram and jj 2-4 depending the competition (hypothetical obviously) or they could say forget pg and go after RW or cousins instead.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2017, 12:11 PM
Lol. I want Ball to do well. He's not responsible for his dad. I just want him to do well in Milwaukee. Or Orlando. Somwhere as far from LA as possible.

ok, I can live with that

LA4life24/8
06-15-2017, 12:13 PM

I actually think the kings are in a good position in terms of prospects

they got hield skal WCS and then they could add a fox and markannen/isaac at the 5/10
I mean they are gonna have 4 or 5 pretty daarn good prospects if they keep their picks.

Its just they are so shittily ran that it might not matter LMAO

LA4life24/8
06-15-2017, 12:14 PM

Same. I wish him the best, but i dont want him in a lakers uni. Unless theres any possible way (not gonna happen i know) we end up w him and JJ.

bucketss
06-15-2017, 01:03 PM
hahahha it would be hilarious to see ball drop but i doubt sixers pass him up.

WestCoastSportz
06-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Strange how the image of Lonzo Ball has been effected by his big mouthed father. Early on, I was a huge fan of Lonzo and probably still am, but Lavar is just a huge distraction and headache. If he's that bad now, what is he going to be like when his son is actually playing in the NBA? I'm not sure he'll fall to Sacramento and can see him going to the Knicks at #8 if he does slip. Rose and Jennings have just played their final year of their contracts so at draft time, there big possibility that they won't have a point guard on the roster. New York can absorb the big personality of Lavar Ball and possibly shut him up, although thats unlikely.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2017, 03:21 PM
I actually think the kings are in a good position in terms of prospects

they got hield skal WCS and then they could add a fox and markannen/isaac at the 5/10
I mean they are gonna have 4 or 5 pretty daarn good prospects if they keep their picks.

Its just they are so shittily ran that it might not matter LMAO

exactly how I feel. That coming from a Wolves fan...haha

Hawkeye15
06-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Strange how the image of Lonzo Ball has been effected by his big mouthed father. Early on, I was a huge fan of Lonzo and probably still am, but Lavar is just a huge distraction and headache. If he's that bad now, what is he going to be like when his son is actually playing in the NBA? I'm not sure he'll fall to Sacramento and can see him going to the Knicks at #8 if he does slip. Rose and Jennings have just played their final year of their contracts so at draft time, there big possibility that they won't have a point guard on the roster. New York can absorb the big personality of Lavar Ball and possibly shut him up, although thats unlikely.

Knicks is an interesting option

WestCoastSportz
06-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Knicks is an interesting option

I think it would be a good fit. They're rebuilding again and may ship out Anthony. Porzingis and Kuzminskas are very nice young players and I think Ball can come in and play that Euro-style, fast paced type game.

IndyRealist
06-15-2017, 06:28 PM
I think it would be a good fit. They're rebuilding again and may ship out Anthony. Porzingis and Kuzminskas are very nice young players and I think Ball can come in and play that Euro-style, fast paced type game.

And Hernangomez.

Hustla23
06-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Ball is basically exactly what we need but we decided to win some games to be cute.

It's alright. As long as we walk away with Monk, DSJ, or Tatum I'll be satisfied.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-17-2017, 06:05 PM

Milwaukee? Bucks are #17 pick. No way we land Ball. Bucks need a PG badly though. I think Ball ends up with the Suns. Then Bledsoe or Knight is dealt later in the season.

Aust
06-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Milwaukee? Bucks are #17 pick. No way we land Ball. Bucks need a PG badly though. I think Ball ends up with the Suns. Then Bledsoe or Knight is dealt later in the season.

There was a rumor that the Suns want Lonzo bad and Magic likes Fox more than Ball and Jackson and he wants their first next year. Pick swap + 2018 first could happen.

IndyRealist
06-17-2017, 11:51 PM

Eh, trades happen.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Eh, trades happen.

I know trades happen. Bucks trade more then the entire league combined it seems most of the time. But anyway #17 and what to move up to two or three for Ball? Parker is injured and has more value to us then anyone else. Middleton just came back from injury and was gassed in the playoffs. But still on bargain contract and 3 and D wing. Giannis untouchable. Snell can be had in a sign and trade. But NBA is backwards. Should be like NFL with free agency first and not after the draft.

Henson, Delly, Telly can be had but more less negative value. Brogdon pending rookie of the year or runner up. He's decent but more less be better suited as a SG. I wouldn't trade Maker. Guess we could package up 2019 first as well. But doubt that moves us into top 5 at all. Also even if we traded Middleton and a pick to move up. Seems like a rip off. We need win now pieces. Not more youth. Giannis is on a 4 year deal. Time to make him happy.

I know a couple teams were rumored to have interests in Moose. But he has a player option and is due to tell which way he's going on draft day. Hawes is a player option. Bucks were linked to liking Collison or Rubio at trade deadline. Couple seasons ago we wanted Bledsoe as well. But he's injury prone.

Scoots
06-18-2017, 09:17 AM
I know trades happen. Bucks trade more then the entire league combined it seems most of the time. But anyway #17 and what to move up to two or three for Ball? Parker is injured and has more value to us then anyone else. Middleton just came back from injury and was gassed in the playoffs. But still on bargain contract and 3 and D wing. Giannis untouchable. Snell can be had in a sign and trade. But NBA is backwards. Should be like NFL with free agency first and not after the draft.

Henson, Delly, Telly can be had but more less negative value. Brogdon pending rookie of the year or runner up. He's decent but more less be better suited as a SG. I wouldn't trade Maker. Guess we could package up 2019 first as well. But doubt that moves us into top 5 at all. Also even if we traded Middleton and a pick to move up. Seems like a rip off. We need win now pieces. Not more youth. Giannis is on a 4 year deal. Time to make him happy.

I know a couple teams were rumored to have interests in Moose. But he has a player option and is due to tell which way he's going on draft day. Hawes is a player option. Bucks were linked to liking Collison or Rubio at trade deadline. Couple seasons ago we wanted Bledsoe as well. But he's injury prone.

I regularly thank the Bucks for Pat McCaw, and taking Monta Ellis :)

I agree FA should be before the draft ... you could sign players and trade them for picks.

IndyRealist
06-18-2017, 01:01 PM

I think Ball could drop to 5 or 6 pretty easily, depending on what the Lakers are doing. I would, without a doubt, trade Parker and #17 for #4, or Middleton/Monroe/#17 if you can manage it. Phoenix can absorb salary, though I don't even know if they're looking to trade. Slide Brogdon to the 2 and you've got room for Ball. If he gets past the Lakers, I think you make the call.

Shammyguy3
06-18-2017, 01:26 PM
I regularly thank the Bucks for Pat McCaw, and taking Monta Ellis :)

I agree FA should be before the draft ... you could sign players and trade them for picks.

That defeats the entire "Free" in free agency - the part where the players have leverage on where they want to play. That's why you have to wait until at least January 15th (i think?) or at 3+ months to trade the newly signed player, whichever comes later from the signing date.

Mr.B
06-18-2017, 02:02 PM
So do the Celtics now pick Jackson at 3 and pass on trying to sign Hayward?

Scoots
06-18-2017, 02:12 PM
That defeats the entire "Free" in free agency - the part where the players have leverage on where they want to play. That's why you have to wait until at least January 15th (i think?) or at 3+ months to trade the newly signed player, whichever comes later from the signing date.

No trade clauses give the players control. It just means franchises need to not get a reputation of backhanded dealing.

It makes sense for teams to put a team together with free agency to have a better strategy for the draft.

Shammyguy3
06-18-2017, 03:13 PM
No trade clauses give the players control. It just means franchises need to not get a reputation of backhanded dealing.

It makes sense for teams to put a team together with free agency to have a better strategy for the draft.
Trade clauses give players absolute control. But it's called FREE agency for a reason...

IndyRealist
06-18-2017, 04:14 PM

I think they draft Jackson, try to sign Hayward, and trade for one of PG or Butler using the pick they got for next year. Jackson is a rookie and can come off the bench.

Aust
06-18-2017, 05:50 PM

I think they go after a trade involving the 3 pick +others. If they keep it, I'm guessing it'll be Jackson or Tatum. They can still go after Hayward, or Griffin.

Scoots
06-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Trade clauses give players absolute control. But it's called FREE agency for a reason...

It's never free when it is part of the CBA which the union agrees to.

LA4life24/8
06-19-2017, 09:31 AM
exactly how I feel. That coming from a Wolves fan...haha

Well this is coming from a lakers fan whose team signed frikkin timofey mozgov and luol deng 15 minutes into free agency to ludicrous deals w no options... lmao thankfully those dudes runnin the show are gone!

hugepatsfan
06-19-2017, 09:33 AM
IDK if Boston is going to take Jackson, Tatum, Isaac. I could see all 3 being their top guy. Also they brought Dennis Smith back for another workout too which is interesting.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Are the Celtics picking for the Bulls at #3 for Butler? What else the Celtics coughing up?

hugepatsfan
06-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Are the Celtics picking for the Bulls at #3 for Butler? What else the Celtics coughing up?

I hope BOS moves back to #5. Supposedly SAC really likes Jackson. Considering CHI's PG struggles and supposed desire for Dunn last year I think they'd be moving up to take Fox. It's rumored Isaac has stopped working out with teams past Phoenix and that they like him unless Jackson/Ball are there.

#1 - Fultz to PHI
#2 - Ball to LAL
#3 - Jackson to SAC via trade
#4 - Isaac to PHX

So now BOS can take Tatum for themselves or package #5 (Fox) to CHI for Butler if the rest of the cost isn't prohibitive. And they picked something up for the guy I think they'd have taken at #3.

I feel the BOS and Jackson stuff is a smokescreen. If they really wanted him I don't think they do this trade so far in advance when LAL could take him. I think they either want to trade this pick or take someone other than Fultz/Ball/Jackson. it just makes no sense to do the trade so early if they specifically want a guy that couldbe gone at #3. It has to be someone they realistically know will be there at #3 or a trade IMO.

LA4life24/8
06-19-2017, 12:16 PM
I hope BOS moves back to #5. Supposedly SAC really likes Jackson. Considering CHI's PG struggles and supposed desire for Dunn last year I think they'd be moving up to take Fox. It's rumored Isaac has stopped working out with teams past Phoenix and that they like him unless Jackson/Ball are there.

#1 - Fultz to PHI
#2 - Ball to LAL
#3 - Jackson to SAC via trade
#4 - Isaac to PHX

So now BOS can take Tatum for themselves or package #5 (Fox) to CHI for Butler if the rest of the cost isn't prohibitive. And they picked something up for the guy I think they'd have taken at #3.

I feel the BOS and Jackson stuff is a smokescreen. If they really wanted him I don't think they do this trade so far in advance when LAL could take him. I think they either want to trade this pick or take someone other than Fultz/Ball/Jackson. it just makes no sense to do the trade so early if they specifically want a guy that couldbe gone at #3. It has to be someone they realistically know will be there at #3 or a trade IMO.

Or they and everyone else fully believes lakers are 100% on lonzo. Which would then guarantee jj is there at 3 and they 99.9% know it.
But its weird cuz jj hasnt worked out for boston so i kinda dont think hes the pick either or bostons got another trade up their sleeves

hugepatsfan
06-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Or they and everyone else fully believes lakers are 100% on lonzo. Which would then guarantee jj is there at 3 and they 99.9% know it.
But its weird cuz jj hasnt worked out for boston so i kinda dont think hes the pick either or bostons got another trade up their sleeves

Even if they do believe Ball is going to LA why would they take that chance if he's the guy they really want and would take #1 like the rumor is. It doesn't make sense to leave that up to chance and do the deal 5 days early. Unless they really just believe that all the guys at the top are so close it doesn't matter and they just want the extra pick for moving back regardless of they get.

LA4life24/8
06-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Even if they do believe Ball is going to LA why would they take that chance if he's the guy they really want and would take #1 like the rumor is. It doesn't make sense to leave that up to chance and do the deal 5 days early. Unless they really just believe that all the guys at the top are so close it doesn't matter and they just want the extra pick for moving back regardless of they get.

That last part. They prolly happy w whoever or they dont care at all cuz they wanna trade it for jimmy