PDA

View Full Version : Now that the finals is over, does anybody care about reg. season MVP?

JasonJohnHorn
06-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Giving the award after the finals seems to take the steam out of it. No?

I mean... when you are given the award and your team is still in this, it's almost like motivation and recognition for what you've achieved.

Afterwards, it's like: here loser. Have a consolation prize.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2017, 04:26 PM
sure, it means something for sure. I think the should have given the award out weeks ago though..

TheDish87
06-14-2017, 04:31 PM
i never understood why in all sportd the reg season awards arent announced before the playoffs or after like the first round

pacofunk64
06-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Well I sure don't care. My guess is they don't want the MVP talk to over take the playoffs but I think there is around a week after the season and between playoffs in which they could/should announce it.

I mean they do the lottery during the playoffs.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-14-2017, 04:33 PM
No.

FOXHOUND
06-14-2017, 05:01 PM
The NBA awards show was a terrible idea. The award announcements have added extra drama to the playoffs at times. We don't get Hakeem obliterating Robinson in the WCF if he isn't pissed about Robinson winning MVP over him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4uXlRGAF0

I get that they don't want to interfere with playoff teams schedules by having an award show during that layoff before the postseason starts, as they want the best players there. Guess what? Maybe scrap this stupid idea of an awards show and just announce it like you always did.

FlashBolt
06-14-2017, 05:02 PM
I already forgot about it. As far as I'm concerned, this Playoffs just made me realize LeBron should be the MVP once again even though I had RWB as the favorite. It's just way too long ago. I would have preferred if they gave it by round 2.

Scoots
06-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Giving the award after the finals seems to take the steam out of it. No?

I mean... when you are given the award and your team is still in this, it's almost like motivation and recognition for what you've achieved.

Afterwards, it's like: here loser. Have a consolation prize.

I agree. They should have given it out at half time of a Rockets/Thunder game.

Scoots
06-14-2017, 10:15 PM
I assume the MVP voting was screwed up too, but I guess I do want to know what it was ... but not NEARLY enough to watch a show about it.

Quinnsanity
06-14-2017, 11:27 PM
They definitely lost a lot of momentum. We were all talking about it during the first round. That was the time to hand it out. Why do they feel like the players have to be at this awards show for it to matter? Have the awards show on an off night in the second round or something and have the winners Skype in, do it when people are interested.

LOb0
06-15-2017, 12:04 AM
So stupid changing it. Harden is old news.

mavwar53
06-15-2017, 12:04 AM
Never thought about it in this way but it was an interesting conversation, but now 2 months later who really wants to discuss the MVP race much, the most important part of all sports is over, who cares now who the best player in the regular season was especially after watching certain guys dominate the entire playoffs. I guess if anything it shows at least this year that the regular season MVP doesn't mean much other than numbers cause neither of the top 2 for most made it very far. Lebron is the best, KD next and they took over the playoffs but no need in the regular season because they have trustworthy teammates around them.

Saddletramp
06-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Yeah, this was stupid. I came up with an idea at the end of the season where they'd have this stupid awards show in the few days between the regular and post seasons. End the season on a Monday, have the award show on Tuesday and then start the playoffs that Saturday. Call it a fancy name and make it big. Now? I just want the draft and free agency. Last season is last season.

Maybe have it at a different team's arena every year and see what team goes all out. Make it a proud moment for the NBA.

Hangtime
06-15-2017, 02:12 AM
I thought it was stupid when the NFL started doing these award shows and its even worse for the NBA to do it. Nobody cares and the drama was over weeks ago. People thinking about the off season and draft now. Not watching awards get handed out to players eliminated a long time ago.

Bostonjorge
06-15-2017, 03:39 AM
We should let it play out first. NBA players and media guys are always funnier and have more personality. NFL guys are to serious and to different from each other. NBA guys are mostly the same and love to crack jokes and are not to serious. If anyone can make this work it's them. Even got Drake(a true fan)to host.

Now that the finals are over we can foucus on the season Westbrook had. Let him have his moment. Then figure out a way to take down the juggernaut. If not in Okc then maybe......

nastynice
06-15-2017, 04:05 AM
yea, waiting this long was a bad idea. I'll still care cuz it was a great accomplishment, but its funner when they announce it in the playoffs and most of the mvp and runner ups are still playing.

IndyRealist
06-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Is the idea to have the players at the awards show? That's the only reason to do it so late. So they don't have team commitments.

It's gonna sting when Westbrook wins MVP but Durant already won Finals MVP and a ring.

LA4life24/8
06-15-2017, 09:35 AM
An awards show is a terrible idea. Waiting this long to announce it is a terrible idea. Right now it kinda feels like basketball is over and the offseason is ramping up. And now yall wanna go back and talk ablut the season? The season feels ages ago already. Esp since it really seems a foregone conclusion they gonna give it to RW.

This season and post season seemed extra long because it seemed a foregone conclusion of who was gonna win the finals and chit already. Shoulda just announced awards during rhe week after the season before the playoffs

BKLYNpigeon
06-15-2017, 09:46 AM
I hope Russ skips the awards show. Dumbest idea ever.

lakerfan85
06-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Nope! The idea for an awards show for the NBA is just stupid...

AllBall
06-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Bad move by the league. They couldn't squeeze 1 night in between end of regular season and playoffs for this ceremony? I'm not buying it.

JasonJohnHorn
06-15-2017, 11:26 PM
I agree. They should have given it out at half time of a Rockets/Thunder game.

I guess if it was in Houston the Leonard could have made a drive out there to accept it given that he is just a stone's throw away in San Antonio ;-)

The_Franchise13
06-16-2017, 03:04 AM
League may as well stir it up.

Have the FMVP present the regular season MVP award.

KD giving the award to Russ would be hilarious...

hughest4
06-16-2017, 03:38 AM
I care about it a little, but it should have been announced prior to the playoffs beginning.
Even though the voters are not supposed to take postseason into consideration, I'm sure a few of them do.
In this situation it really doesn't matter, but imagine if Westbrook averaged a triple double and took his team to the NBA finals. You don't think that would impact a couple of the voters decisions even if it what completely unintentional?

AllBall
06-16-2017, 03:19 PM
I care about it a little, but it should have been announced prior to the playoffs beginning.
Even though the voters are not supposed to take postseason into consideration, I'm sure a few of them do.
In this situation it really doesn't matter, but imagine if Westbrook averaged a triple double and took his team to the NBA finals. You don't think that would impact a couple of the voters decisions even if it what completely unintentional?

Voting was closed before the playoffs started. Are you saying voting deadline should be extended until after the finals? :confused: