PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Dubs now calling themselves 5x NBA champs?

Big Zo
06-13-2017, 01:08 PM
This is only their third bay area championship, and one of their Philadelphia championships was with the BAA. Do ABA titles now count as NBA as well?

Quinnsanity
06-13-2017, 02:02 PM
I was thinking this last night, and you're right, it's ********.

AntiG
06-13-2017, 03:52 PM
This is only their third bay area championship, and one of their Philadelphia championships was with the BAA. Do ABA titles now count as NBA as well?

If counting only by the area they reside, the LA Lakers should only claim 11 championships. If counting only NBA regardless of area, then they can claim 15. Ok by me.

Big Zo
06-13-2017, 05:04 PM
If counting only by the area they reside, the LA Lakers should only claim 11 championships. If counting only NBA regardless of area, then they can claim 15. Ok by me.
That's the way I see it for the Lakers, too. 5 of their championships belong to Minnesota.

Jeffy25
06-13-2017, 05:15 PM
That's the way I see it for the Lakers, too. 5 of their championships belong to Minnesota.

Everywhere you look in other sports, the titles belong to the organization, not the city.

The Giants and Dodgers in baseball claim their titles from New York, New York doesn't.

One Nut Kruk
06-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Exactly. It's the franchise, not the city.

Big Zo
06-13-2017, 06:06 PM
Exactly. It's the franchise, not the city.

Do OKC fans acknowledge the '79 Sonics title? Howcome there's no gold championship tab on the back of the Thunder jerseys?

tredigs
06-13-2017, 06:13 PM
"The Celtics and Lakers have half the championships in NBA history" is a common comment made in NBA discussion. It's not the Celtics and "LA" Lakers.

You're just confused on how championships are credited.

Big Zo
06-13-2017, 06:21 PM
"The Celtics and Lakers have half the championships in NBA history" is a common comment made in NBA discussion. It's not the Celtics and "LA" Lakers.

You're just confused on how championships are credited.

I get how they're credited, but I still find it silly to see GS fans walking around with shirts saying "5x champs!" When two of those didn't even happen in their city.

Scoots
06-13-2017, 06:35 PM

The Warriors were never in the ABA.

Do the Lakers get to keep titles not in LA?

Scoots
06-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Everywhere you look in other sports, the titles belong to the organization, not the city.

The Giants and Dodgers in baseball claim their titles from New York, New York doesn't.

And the Jets and Giants have been playing in New Jersey for years so how many titles does the city of New York lose/gain with this new accounting :)

Scoots
06-13-2017, 06:38 PM
I get how they're credited, but I still find it silly to see GS fans walking around with shirts saying "5x champs!" When two of those didn't even happen in their city.

So in a couple years they will just have to pack up their championship banners when they move to SF.

tredigs
06-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Well then I'm not sure why you're confused. That's how ships are credited. It would be much more out of place to call them 3x champs.

Anyway, never seen the shirt and it's a stupid topic to make a thread on.

Big Zo
06-13-2017, 06:58 PM
Well then I'm not sure why you're confused. That's how ships are credited. It would be much more out of place to call them 3x champs.

Anyway, never seen the shirt and it's a stupid topic to make a thread on.

Well I felt like making it, and you apparently cared enough to post multiple times.

One Nut Kruk
06-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Do OKC fans acknowledge the '79 Sonics title? Howcome there's no gold championship tab on the back of the Thunder jerseys?

Not sure. I'm not a fan of them nor do I work for them.

Big Zo
06-13-2017, 07:05 PM
So in a couple years they will just have to pack up their championship banners when they move to SF.
SF is like 2 steps away from Oakland. It's still the same fanbase. Hell, I wouldn't doubt that there's currently more SF fans in the arena since Oakland is considered a poor city.

Jeffy25
06-13-2017, 07:08 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/

5 chips

56 for sure should count, 47....I dunno

Hangtime
06-13-2017, 09:35 PM
Its the same franchise that won the chip in 47. Which is why they still recognize it as a part of its history. If the Warriors moved back to Philly there would still be 5 chips.

The Thunder don't recognize the sonics chip because all history prior to the move was retained with the city due in part should the Sonics return they would still own any history associated with the franchise. So the Thunder would be considered the expansion team. Very similar to the Ravens/Browns in the NFL.

lol, please
06-13-2017, 11:48 PM

Because the Warriors have 5 titles. Let me know when they don't have 5 titles.

Don't worry, i'll wait.

Vinylman
06-14-2017, 12:00 PM
nitpicking the dubs for this is ridiculous...

calling out a ***** like Durant is spot on though

And sorry dubs fans your greatest championship will always be 1975 since it was easily the biggest finals upset in NBA history.

Scoots
06-14-2017, 05:39 PM
nitpicking the dubs for this is ridiculous...

calling out a ***** like Durant is spot on though

And sorry dubs fans your greatest championship will always be 1975 since it was easily the biggest finals upset in NBA history.

It depends on what happens next. If the Warriors win the next 10 titles that will be pretty upsetting to many :)

(and no, I don't think they will win more than 1 more title before this group breaks up)

AntiG
06-14-2017, 10:48 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/

5 chips

56 for sure should count, 47....I dunno

1947 was BAA, which was the predecessor of the NBA, hence why its recognized by the NBA as a championship.

Quinnsanity
06-14-2017, 11:24 PM
For me, a championship only matters if it was won in the NBA and in the city (or market, if it's something as easy as moving from Oakland to San Francisco since Scoots is getting in a huff about it) a team won it in. Nobody considers the Thunder the 1979 champions, and they wouldn't even if they were the Oklahoma City Sonics. If you won championships in the BAA, I'm sorry, that doesn't count as a real championship, just like we don't count ABA titles as legitimate. If you're counting BAA championships then you really have to count ABA as well considering how much higher the quality of play was (basketball was big enough by the ABA's arrival that a secondary league in the 70's was of high quality than a primary league in the 40's).

BKLYNpigeon
06-14-2017, 11:32 PM

No, becuase the city of Seattle kept the rights to the name super sonics. They couldn't take it to okc.

Vinylman
06-15-2017, 06:30 AM
It depends on what happens next. If the Warriors win the next 10 titles that will be pretty upsetting to many :)

(and no, I don't think they will win more than 1 more title before this group breaks up)

I know you actually understand the bolded... some of the other fans... yikes!

although I think they can win two more

kingsdelez24
06-15-2017, 08:17 AM
The Sacramento Kings are a one-time NBA champion by technicality, go figure

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-15-2017, 08:25 PM
For me, a championship only matters if it was won in the NBA and in the city (or market, if it's something as easy as moving from Oakland to San Francisco since Scoots is getting in a huff about it) a team won it in. Nobody considers the Thunder the 1979 champions, and they wouldn't even if they were the Oklahoma City Sonics. If you won championships in the BAA, I'm sorry, that doesn't count as a real championship, just like we don't count ABA titles as legitimate. If you're counting BAA championships then you really have to count ABA as well considering how much higher the quality of play was (basketball was big enough by the ABA's arrival that a secondary league in the 70's was of high quality than a primary league in the 40's).

But if you're a fan of a franchise, and you don't live in any of the cities they played in, do you care where they won their championships? Would a Lakers fan who was born in Seattle be able to say that he's a fan of the 16 time world champions, or clarify that he's a fan of the 11-time Los Angeles Champions and five-time Minneapolis champions?

Why stop there? Maybe a fan shouldn't claim a championship that wasn't won in their lifetime? Or any that were won before they became a fan? The franchise is the one claiming that they are ×times champions. The fans will just cite the number the franchise claims.

FlashBolt
06-16-2017, 12:26 AM
I think it shouldn't count but I was a Sonics fan and mostly resonated with that team more than OKC. I get both sides but yeah, if you're not in the same city, it's hard to credit that franchise for it. Would it be okay if we said "OKC lost to Jordan in 96"? That's stupid lol. If you move, the team should die. If you made me choose, I'd rather be a Sonics fan than OKC but it is what it is.

TrueFan420
06-16-2017, 12:49 AM
I think it shouldn't count but I was a Sonics fan and mostly resonated with that team more than OKC. I get both sides but yeah, if you're not in the same city, it's hard to credit that franchise for it. Would it be okay if we said "OKC lost to Jordan in 96"? That's stupid lol. If you move, the team should die. If you made me choose, I'd rather be a Sonics fan than OKC but it is what it is.
The difference is the Sonics name and history belongs to Seattle. If a team is added to the NBA they go to Seattle they get the sonics history. When the Warriors moved from Philly to SF to Oakland the team kept the history, not the city. I will say this tho... I don't really think of the philly warriors history as our history but SF is. It's The Bay.

Would love to know... If Seattle gets a team would you drop OKC and go back to Seattle? Its something I've been thinking about myself as my Raiders are leaving The Town for Vegas. In your case Seattle kept the history... In mine it would be a completely different team. And **** the 9ers.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-16-2017, 12:49 AM

Sonics and Thunder are two different teams though. Not only in city, but name and uniform as well. If the Sonics kept their name and and kept playing in the same green uniforms, it would be tough to not associate the current team with The Glove and Kemps Sonics. But nothing about this current OKC team seems connected to the Sonics so it's understandable to not claim a finals loss.

FlashBolt
06-16-2017, 12:54 AM
Sonics and Thunder are two different teams though. Not only in city, but name and uniform as well. If the Sonics kept their name and and kept playing in the same green uniforms, it would be tough to associate the current team with The Glove and Kemps Sonics. But nothing about this current OKC team seems connected to the Sonics so it's understandable to not claim a finals loss.

Officially, we have the trophies and accolades, though. The only thing we don't have is the option of the name, jersey, etc., but yeah, according to everything, technically, we "are" the Sonics. It's entirely messy which is why I'd just prefer to not say we "own" any of it.

lol, please
06-16-2017, 11:40 PM
The difference is the Sonics name and history belongs to Seattle. If a team is added to the NBA they go to Seattle they get the sonics history. When the Warriors moved from Philly to SF to Oakland the team kept the history, not the city. I will say this tho... I don't really think of the philly warriors history as our history but SF is. It's The Bay.

Would love to know... If Seattle gets a team would you drop OKC and go back to Seattle? Its something I've been thinking about myself as my Raiders are leaving The Town for Vegas. In your case Seattle kept the history... In mine it would be a completely different team. And **** the 9ers.

Come to the dark side! Bleed that red and gold with bigmac, rapjuicer, redandgold_35, COOLbeans, lakers211221, WhiteSoxGod, NinerHomer49, OREcoast49er, Leandres_sf, SFRush90, and myself.

:win:

Monta is beast
06-18-2017, 05:11 AM
Just curious where would the titles go? When we won in PHI and moved to SF, those chips are supposed to do what exactly? Disappear. Dumbass thread

Monta is beast
06-18-2017, 05:13 AM
I think of the PHI history as ours. Everything that happened in those PHI locker rooms games etc played an effect on the whole history of the franchise.

Butterfly effect

Big Zo
06-18-2017, 09:51 AM
This is the shirt that inspired the thread: http://www.fanatics.com/NBA_Golden_State_Warriors/Golden_State_Warriors_Majestic_2017_NBA_Finals_Cha mpions_Got_Rings_T-Shirt_-_Royal?p_src=dti

It just makes me chuckle because two of the championships weren't won in the bay, the first one happened over 40 years ago, and ignores the fact that the Dubs became a garbage organization for 4 decades. Most Dub fans have only seen two championships.

Scoots
06-18-2017, 09:57 AM
This is the shirt that inspired the thread: http://www.fanatics.com/NBA_Golden_State_Warriors/Golden_State_Warriors_Majestic_2017_NBA_Finals_Cha mpions_Got_Rings_T-Shirt_-_Royal?p_src=dti

It just makes me chuckle because two of the championships weren't won in the bay, the first one happened over 40 years ago, and ignores the fact that the Dubs became a garbage organization for 4 decades. Most Dub fans have only seen two championships.

Do you think most Celtics fans have seen more than 2 championships?

Big Zo
06-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Do you think most Celtics fans have seen more than 2 championships?

Not at all, but at least they happened in their city.

One Nut Kruk
06-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Doesn't matter what city it happened in. It's the same organization. Being bad for 4 decades is also irrelevant as is how many championships each individual has actually seen.

It's the history of that franchise.

nastynice
06-18-2017, 01:32 PM
[

COOLbeans
06-18-2017, 04:36 PM

I won't forget what you said here in the parenthesis scoots.

Scoots
06-18-2017, 08:48 PM
I won't forget what you said here in the parenthesis scoots.

I prefer not to look too far ahead. They have 1 ... 2 is no kind of certainty yet. I aint even thinking they have 2 on lock yet.

Saddletramp
06-18-2017, 09:18 PM

Just from looking at that pic, it's funny that the 3 title rings won in the Bay, it says Golden State but the other ones just says Warriors. Also, when a team is saying "We" have rings it makes it sound more like it's recent, not a span of over 70 years or whatever. It's just weird that as soon as this current team gets multiple titles, they start bringing up past ones.

But end of the day, regardless of the city, those titles belong to that franchise. The first one is a little weird since it wasn't the NBA, but if the Lakers count that win, why wouldn't the Warriors count theirs?

Who cares.

Monta is beast
06-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Those PHI banners have been in Oracle

Saddletramp
06-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Those PHI banners have been in Oracle

I think if those shirts weren't made, nobody would be talking about this. And I assumed the banners were up it's just that I usually hear people talking about '75 but not the other ones.

But again, who cares, they have 5 titles. Why are people scoffing at it?

Wiltismyhero
06-18-2017, 10:27 PM
How would you even build a better team than what gsw currently has as their starting 5?

The only thing to make it unstoppable would be to replace Zara with Anthony Davis, but the other 4 are probably the best people you could put together to make a super team given their skill set and talent.

Steph, Durant, Klay - 3 best shooters in the league on the SAME team that are consistent!

*maybe a version of draymond that is better at 3s?
- Anthony Davis, Lebron? That's all really...

Raps18-19 Champ
06-18-2017, 11:07 PM
They want to watch the world burn that's why.

Scoots
06-18-2017, 11:51 PM
How would you even build a better team than what gsw currently has as their starting 5?

The only thing to make it unstoppable would be to replace Zara with Anthony Davis, but the other 4 are probably the best people you could put together to make a super team given their skill set and talent.

Steph, Durant, Klay - 3 best shooters in the league on the SAME team that are consistent!

*maybe a version of draymond that is better at 3s?
- Anthony Davis, Lebron? That's all really...

There is no 5 right now ... I think Karl Anthony Towns would fit well.

nastynice
06-19-2017, 03:34 AM

nastynice
06-19-2017, 03:35 AM
They want to watch the world burn that's why.

burrrn baby burn

yeastie