PDA

View Full Version : Would Peak Kobe Bryant Have Played Power Forward in the Modern NBA?

Quinnsanity
06-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Just had an interesting discussion with a friend about how the Jazz used Joe Johnson at power forward, and it evolved into a conversation about Kobe. We both wondered if Kobe at his peak, '05 and '06 basically, would've been a power forward in the current NBA. He spaces the floor well for the position, but could obviously handle himself well on the block. He could switch across multiple positions with his size and in some ways you'd probably be saving him some energy in doing so because he wouldn't have to chase shooters around screens as much. I'm just sort of curious how teams would best use Kobe if you grabbed him from a time machine in '05 or '06 and put him on a modern team. I think in a base starting lineup, a forward thinking team probably would put him at power forward and just create matchup nightmares from there. If they had to change it based on opponent's personnel they could. If this isn't the case for '05 or '06 Kobe, at the very least I think it would be for the later championship versions in '09 and '10.

lakerfan85
06-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Wtf??

metswon69
06-11-2017, 12:30 AM
He still doesnt have the size to play the 4. Could probably have played the 3 though. Carmelo had offensive success playing the 4 with the Knicks a couple of years ago but he couldn't defend hardly any bigs. And Carmelo is of bigger stature than Kobe.

goingfor28
06-11-2017, 01:55 AM
No

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Redrum187
06-11-2017, 06:08 AM
Yes, and JJ Barea is going to be the starting SF for the Dallas Mavericks next season.

Redrum187
06-11-2017, 06:10 AM
OJ Mayo is coming back and playing PF/C.

MrfadeawayJB
06-11-2017, 08:31 AM
He would still be a wing

jaydubb
06-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Yep. And Shaq would be the point guard too. Kobe at power forward, Derek fisher at center.. Man lakers Coulda won 4 straight chips with that lineup.. What was Phil Jackson thinking?!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

eDush
06-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Just had an interesting discussion with a friend about how the Jazz used Joe Johnson at power forward, and it evolved into a conversation about Kobe. We both wondered if Kobe at his peak, '05 and '06 basically, would've been a power forward in the current NBA. He spaces the floor well for the position, but could obviously handle himself well on the block. He could switch across multiple positions with his size and in some ways you'd probably be saving him some energy in doing so because he wouldn't have to chase shooters around screens as much. I'm just sort of curious how teams would best use Kobe if you grabbed him from a time machine in '05 or '06 and put him on a modern team. I think in a base starting lineup, a forward thinking team probably would put him at power forward and just create matchup nightmares from there. If they had to change it based on opponent's personnel they could. If this isn't the case for '05 or '06 Kobe, at the very least I think it would be for the later championship versions in '09 and '10.Having a discussion on JJ playing the 4 and wonder if Kobe can do the same as we are drawing near perhaps the last game of the finals? It made me lol more than anything else so thanks for that buddy.
:hi5:

Quinnsanity
06-11-2017, 03:49 PM
In a world where 6'7'' Joe Johnson is a power forward I really don't see what's so mind blowing about 6'6'' Kobe Bryant playing power forward. He does most of the things that a modern power forward is asked to do as far as being able to switch across multiple positions and stretching the floor, he's a matchup nightmare for most other teams, he has a low post game so you aren't sacrificing that element of the position, he was always best as a passer out of the post as opposed to actually running an offense from the top of the key, I think it would be a really interesting way to use him. He's Kobe ****ing Bryant. Play him anywhere and you'll get a ton of use out of him. I just think that the way basketball has evolved, smarter teams would downsize enough to where they see the utility in playing Kobe at the 4 with more shooters around him.

warfelg
06-11-2017, 03:59 PM
I mean....I would fight against it with 2 bigs and make them pick who gets the small guy.

And part of the reason JJ at the 4 worked was because Gobert is a monster.

One Nut Kruk
06-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Having a discussion on JJ playing the 4 and wonder if Kobe can do the same as we are drawing near perhaps the last game of the finals? It made me lol more than anything else so thanks for that buddy.
:hi5:

What's that got to do with anything? You can only have discussions about teams left in the playoffs?

Did it ever dawn on you that perhaps some people like a lot of things basketball related and maybe they don't give a **** about the Warriors or Cavs?

mike_noodles
06-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Kobe wouldn't have wanted to play PF, he wouldn't get his hands on the ball enough. That means there would be two guards on the floor plus him. Nope, no way.

mike_noodles
06-11-2017, 04:09 PM
What's that got to do with anything? You can only have discussions about teams left in the playoffs?

Did it ever dawn on you that perhaps some people like a lot of things basketball related and maybe they don't give a **** about the Warriors or Cavs?

Just a Warriors fan sending a not so subtle reminder that his team is in the Finals, it's laughable.

GREATNESS ONE
06-11-2017, 05:02 PM
Yep. And Shaq would be the point guard too. Kobe at power forward, Derek fisher at center.. Man lakers Coulda won 4 straight chips with that lineup.. What was Phil Jackson thinking?!

He wasn't! He was so high from puffing that Zen Master Chiva!

GoferKing_
06-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Please stop stupid threads.

jaydubb
06-11-2017, 07:15 PM
He wasn't! He was so high from puffing that Zen Master Chiva!
:nod:

jaydubb
06-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Please stop stupid threads.
:nod:

Redrum187
06-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Would Muggsy Bogues be able to play PF? I mean, at 5'3, he could create so many mismatches!!!

He would have fouled out Barkley, Malone, etc... because of the way they call over-the-back fouls. Muggsy would just have to block out and wait for the refs to call it when an opposing teammate reached over his head to get the board. Not to mention, he would pull the PF away from the rim, thereby negating their defensive rebounding advantage!

Quinnsanity
06-11-2017, 11:56 PM
I just think it's so closed-minded to dismiss forward thinking coaches wanting to try something like this. In his last few years Kobe was playing more small forward. Is it that crazy to think his teams could have downsized further? And how many teams have a second big that could really punish Kobe defensively in 2017? It's a short list, and you could always adjust to those matchups. Most of the time, the power forwards you're running into are the Patrick Pattersons of the world, tweeners who are bigger than traditional wings but not the brutes we used to see at the position. It'd be much harder for those guys to defend Kobe (or another guard) than the reverse, and so much of the goal nowadays is getting more shooting on the floor that having Kobe play with an extra shooter is probably where teams would lean rather than another big. Someone made a good point (I think it was War) about Gobert making JJ at PF more feasible. That might be the only useful response I've gotten in this thread. It would certainly cover up some of the defensive issues to have a DPOY caliber center patrolling back there. But I think this is something almost any good coach would consider nowadays. Not necessarily as a full-time choice, but certainly as a lineup option to go to in certain matchups.

Chronz
06-12-2017, 03:06 AM
JJ is 6"8 240

Kobe is 6"6 205 on average, he bulked up that one year when he was like a mini Bron only more skilled, but he wore down and decided to trim the beef.

Hawkeye15
06-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Joe Johnson is bigger and stronger than Kobe was (has 2", at least 30 lbs), and has much more of a post game that relies on body, versus feel like Kobe did. I could see Kobe playing PF later in his career in small ball sets, but no way do you put him there for long stretches during his career. Joe relied much more on power, even when younger, so his game/size is predicated more to play some post game.