PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Warriors vs. 1992 Dream Team

KnicksorBust
06-09-2017, 07:57 AM
My friend recently posed this question to me and I spent an absurd amount of time thinking about it. At no point in my thought process did I ever convince myself the Warriors could actually win but I thought two things were interesting so I decided to make a thread:

#1.) What lineup would be the Dream Team's most effective against the Warriors?

Charles Barkley, Forward, Phoenix Suns
Larry Bird, Forward, Boston Celtics
Clyde Drexler, Guard, Portland Trailblazers
Patrick Ewing, Center, New York Knicks
Magic Johnson, Guard, Los Angeles Lakers
Michael Jordan, Guard, Chicago Bulls
Christian Laettner, Forward, Duke University
Karl Malone, Forward, Utah Jazz
Chris Mullin, Forward, Golden State Warriors
Scottie Pippen, Forward, Chicago Bulls
David Robinson, Center, San Antonio Spurs
John Stockton, Guard, Utah Jazz

#2.) How many games could the Warriors steal?

I will put the poll up about the series just because I want to see if anyone is crazy enough to go with GState but in the comments I would love to read what lineup you guys would use to close out games against the death lineup of:

Curry - Klay - Iggy - Durant - Draymond

PowerHouse
06-09-2017, 08:21 AM
Forget 1992, any of the Olympic or FIBA teams (since 1992) would mop the floor with GS.

This gives me flashbacks to a thread that asked if Kentucky could beat a real NBA team with one or two guys actually arguing for Kentucky.

hugepatsfan
06-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Finally a close matchup!

IndyRealist
06-09-2017, 08:28 AM
It doesn't matter what lineup the Dream Team used. Their bench would annihilate the Warriors bench.

ewing
06-09-2017, 08:38 AM
this is stupid

BDawk4Prez
06-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Oh the lengths that are being gone to...

Hawkeye15
06-09-2017, 09:18 AM
depends, if given the same amount of time to practice (a month of camp), GS would beat the 1992 Dream Team. But if that was a legit team haha, forget it. The 1992 Dream team would destroy anything it ever played if it were an actual team that was able to practice together, form chemistry, rotations, etc, over the course of a season.

Pops would love it. He could rest the ever living **** out of that roster

Hawkeye15
06-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Forget 1992, any of the Olympic or FIBA teams (since 1992) would mop the floor with GS.

This gives me flashbacks to a thread that asked if Kentucky could beat a real NBA team with one or two guys actually arguing for Kentucky.

you mean US, right? Even then, eh, not so sure. We sent teams over with literally 0 shooters before, and it killed us.

metswon69
06-09-2017, 09:51 AM
It doesn't matter what lineup the Dream Team used. Their bench would annihilate the Warriors bench.

This.

The Warriors could hit 20+ threes but the 2nd units for the teams would be the difference.

Still tough because its different eras.

GREATNESS ONE
06-09-2017, 09:52 AM
GSW would Sweep! Just like they're gonna SWEEP tonight!

PowerHouse
06-09-2017, 09:57 AM
depends, if given the same amount of time to practice (a month of camp), GS would beat the 1992 Dream Team.

I dont see that happening despite the one month to gain chemistry. As soon as GS starting guys get a little tired, its over. They sub in Livingston, US brings in Stockton. They sub in West, US subs in Karl Malone, Matt Barnes say hello to Scottie Pippen.

FOXHOUND
06-09-2017, 10:04 AM
The centers alone end this series before it even starts. David Robinson and Patrick Ewing vs Zaza, McGee and Draymond? lmao.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2017, 10:07 AM
I dont see that happening despite the one month to gain chemistry. As soon as GS starting guys get a little tired, its over. They sub in Livingston, US brings in Stockton. They sub in West, US subs in Karl Malone, Matt Barnes say hello to Scottie Pippen.

In a 7 game series, you don't need to play your subs much. I don't think it would take long, but the Dream team would need to have some chemistry/rotations. They just would.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2017, 10:08 AM
The centers alone end this series before it even starts. David Robinson and Patrick Ewing vs Zaza, McGee and Draymond? lmao.

goes back to my 86' Celtics versus 17' Warriors deal though. While GS would be conceding a lot of at the rim baskets, how on earth are those centers checking someone 25 feet from the rim? If they don't, open 3's galore for GS...

FOXHOUND
06-09-2017, 10:14 AM
goes back to my 86' Celtics versus 17' Warriors deal though. While GS would be conceding a lot of at the rim baskets, how on earth are those centers checking someone 25 feet from the rim? If they don't, open 3's galore for GS...

I think Robinson would be fine, he was a crazy good athlete. Ewing on the other hand... lol.

But how long does it take for these guys + Malone and Barkley to foul out Draymond? Not to mention Jordan and Pippen driving? He can't hit 3's from the bench. If they put Durant at PF, what's he going to do on the block vs Malone and Barkley? They may give up 3s but foul trouble would get that bench onto the court and it's lights out.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2017, 10:23 AM
I think Robinson would be fine, he was a crazy good athlete. Ewing on the other hand... lol.

But how long does it take for these guys + Malone and Barkley to foul out Draymond? Not to mention Jordan and Pippen driving? He can't hit 3's from the bench. If they put Durant at PF, what's he going to do on the block vs Malone and Barkley? They may give up 3s but foul trouble would get that bench onto the court and it's lights out.

Yeah, I mean if you gave the Dream team the Olympic run to get it right, I think they beat any team, anywhere. I just don't think a team can show up and beat the current GS team, no matter the talent level.

Again, the only way I can make this an argument haha, is too bring up the fact that teams get better with experience together, and GS has the talent to at least pile up points against any team, no matter the talent level, if they aren't a cohesive unit.

Hangtime
06-09-2017, 10:39 AM
It would be a high pace high scoring up and down frenzy of a game. The paint would be open. The bigs for Dream Team can run the floor just as well. If GS is missing those long 3's it will lead to easy transition buckets.

I could see GS stealing the first game and then Dream Team figures it out after playing once. A game like this in a vacuum would be treated like All star games by GS. Dream Team taking it serious. Also what rules are we playing with here?

valade16
06-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I mean if you gave the Dream team the Olympic run to get it right, I think they beat any team, anywhere. I just don't think a team can show up and beat the current GS team, no matter the talent level.

Again, the only way I can make this an argument haha, is too bring up the fact that teams get better with experience together, and GS has the talent to at least pile up points against any team, no matter the talent level, if they aren't a cohesive unit.

Didn't the Dream Team have some preliminary games in Portland and practices in Barcelona?

GREATNESS ONE
06-09-2017, 10:52 AM

What's a Center? They not have those anymore :laugh2:

FOXHOUND
06-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Oh, if it's literally their first time playing a game together then GS may win game 1 lol. The difference on defense is really enormous. The level to which Jordan and Pippen would shut down Klay and Durant without having to focus much on offense would obliterate GS's offense. Barkley was the leading scorer on that team, those guys all played with intelligent roles. The rate at which Golden State turns it over too, they would turn it into a track meet. GS would need to be absolutely on fire from 3 just to keep up, IMO.

FOXHOUND
06-09-2017, 11:08 AM
What's a Center? They not have those anymore :laugh2:

They're coming back! It's just that none of the contenders have one. :laugh2:

IndyRealist
06-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Can you really caveat "the Dream team if they never played together"? Because they played an entire Olympics together. Why do the Warriors hypothetically get an entire year together, but the Dream team doesn't get a summer?

Hawkeye15
06-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Didn't the Dream Team have some preliminary games in Portland and practices in Barcelona?

they did, but is that really enough to beat GS, despite the talent the Dream Team had?

I just think they would need to develop at least some sort of chemistry/cohesion first. Wouldn't take too long, but longer than a month to beat arguably the greatest NBA team ever.

COOLbeans
06-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Assuming everyone's in their prime. 5 on 5 with no bench. The Warriors could steal 2 games. Curry, Durant, Iggy and Thompson are all Olympians. And Draymond is a likely fit for 2020. He is an elite defender and can guard 5 positions. Curry may get bodied up if they're using the old rules, and they would isolate him constantly. The Warriors would win at least 1 or 2 games.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Dream Team in 4 lol

Cmon now... let's not get too crazy

ChiTownPacerFan
06-09-2017, 12:17 PM
I'll be the nutjob who says this isn't that crazy of a question. I think these games would be the most entertaining basketball anyone could ever hope to see. These teams would be combining to score 270 points a game. The dream team simply has too much talent not to score, and I honestly don't care how great the opposition is, this Warriors team is going to put up points.

I'd say Dream Team in 6. Just because the Warriors could go cold from the 3, but there's nothing to stop the Dream Team from scoring at will. If GS was firing on all cylinders they could make it a seven game series and even win it.

nastynice
06-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Is put my money on the Warriors. We are built much better. Plus as time goes by, the game evolves forward not backward. The present team will always have that inherent advantage, our brand of basketball will beat your brand. If not, we woulda still been playing your brand, not ours

Raps18-19 Champ
06-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Lol, please was too scared to vote so I voted for him.

GREATNESS ONE
06-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Can you really caveat "the Dream team if they never played together"? Because they played an entire Olympics together. Why do the Warriors hypothetically get an entire year together, but the Dream team doesn't get a summer?

Very good point bro.

GREATNESS ONE
06-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Dream Team in 4 lol

Cmon now... let's not get too crazy

lol it's going to be an entertaining Summer!

GREATNESS ONE
06-09-2017, 08:58 PM
They're coming back! It's just that none of the contenders have one. :laugh2:

:laugh2: yea stretch 5's lolz!

Bro, there's no Big Man with dominant post game anymore. Sure some decent ones but not ONE Dominant Big Man.

Could you imagine dropping Prime Shaq in the era? Lol he would eat up this little man league.

Bostonjorge
06-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Dream team wins by the same margin when Spurs defeated the Heat. Durant wouldn't have that huge mismatch and be able to get buckets whenever he wants over James.

FOXHOUND
06-09-2017, 09:12 PM
:laugh2: yea stretch 5's lolz!

Bro, there's no Big Man with dominant post game anymore. Sure some decent ones but not ONE Dominant Big Man.

Could you imagine dropping Prime Shaq in the era? Lol he would eat up this little man league.

We got Boogie... :laugh2:

JAZZNC
06-09-2017, 10:54 PM
I would love to see Draymond defend the post against actual post players. I know he's a phenomenal post defender in this era of soft *** ******* but I would like to see how he handles the strength of guys like Malone/Barkley and the insane athleticism of D-Rob. I doubt he does as well. And factor in those guys wouldn't be phased by his constant **** talking and he'd get absolutely killed on the boards. Another matchup I'd like to see is Stockton vs Curry. Sure Steph would make him look silly from time to time (he does that to everyone) but I just remember how much Delevadova bothered him and would love to see that constant pressure from a guy who actually possesses skill and intelligence. Also IMO Stockton would abuse him on offense. Interesting convo, but dream team slaughters these guys.

GREATNESS ONE
06-09-2017, 11:11 PM
I would love to see Draymond defend the post against actual post players. I know he's a phenomenal post defender in this era of soft *** ******* but I would like to see how he handles the strength of guys like Malone/Barkley and the insane athleticism of D-Rob. I doubt he does as well. And factor in those guys wouldn't be phased by his constant **** talking and he'd get absolutely killed on the boards. Another matchup I'd like to see is Stockton vs Curry. Sure Steph would make him look silly from time to time (he does that to everyone) but I just remember how much Delevadova bothered him and would love to see that constant pressure from a guy who actually possesses skill and intelligence. Also IMO Stockton would abuse him on offense. Interesting convo, but dream team slaughters these guys.

Speaaaak my dude!

JordansBulls
06-09-2017, 11:42 PM
Warriors have never played a team with legit dominate bigs at PF nor Center so how do you know how they would do against them?

GREATNESS ONE
06-09-2017, 11:44 PM
Warriors have never played a team with legit dominate bigs at PF nor Center so how do you know how they would do against them?

They would get Destroyed.

Hangtime
06-10-2017, 07:40 AM
I dont even envision the game where they are posting guys up like that. It would be a free for all. Guys driving in and out of the paint and throwing alley oops all game long. Dreamteam grabs those long rebounds and its off to the races. D-Rob and Ewing can also shoot mid range jumpers as well. So can Malone. But if its a half court set then they obviously have no problem posting anybody on the Warriors.

Stockton running through screens and pick and roll them to death. Jordan and Scottie put the clamps on whoever. Its mainly an up and down race. And lets not forget Clyde and Mullin.

flea
06-10-2017, 02:01 PM
PSD is not sending its best.

Redrum187
06-10-2017, 02:18 PM
I mean... Michael Jordan could be removed from the Dream Team and it would still treat GS like a $3 dollar hooker... WITH Michael Jordan... come on...

flea
06-10-2017, 02:34 PM
I mean... Michael Jordan could be removed from the Dream Team and it would still treat GS like a $3 dollar hooker... WITH Michael Jordan... come on...

Any pair of big and guard/forward from the Dream Team (Laettner excepted) surrounded by a team of Mike Dunleavy Jr.'s would ice these Warriors IMO.

KnicksorBust
06-10-2017, 02:39 PM
What lineup would abuse the Warriors the most?

Stockton-Magic-MJ-Pippen-Drob?

Or do you go big? Magic-MJ-Bird-Malone-Drob

Lets not forget Bird was suffering so much from his back at this point I dont know if he would be the best 3/4 man to put out there.

Bostonjorge
06-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Only way GS has a chance is if James is guarding Durant. No James then no chance.

Redrum187
06-11-2017, 01:15 AM
What lineup would abuse the Warriors the most?

Stockton-Magic-MJ-Pippen-Drob?

Or do you go big? Magic-MJ-Bird-Malone-Drob

Lets not forget Bird was suffering so much from his back at this point I dont know if he would be the best 3/4 man to put out there.

PG: Magic
SG: Jordan
SF: Drexler
PF: Pippen
C: D Rob

Basically, all 5 players had post up games... Jordan would guard Curry, Pippen on Durant, Magic on Klay... the question is... Who the hell is Curry going to guard? 6'9 Magic? 6'6 Jordan? 6'7 Pippen? 6'7 Drexler? All they would have to do is feed whoever Curry is guarding and either score or foul him out. Then for giggles, sub out Clyde for Malone and feed Malone the ball against Green. Green would get abused in a 7 game series.

Saddletramp
06-11-2017, 02:36 AM
When things get tough, Draymond kicks opponents in the nuts. Can you imagine if he did that to Charles Barkley or Karl ****ing Malone? They would murder him.

IKnowHoops
06-11-2017, 02:47 AM
depends, if given the same amount of time to practice (a month of camp), GS would beat the 1992 Dream Team. But if that was a legit team haha, forget it. The 1992 Dream team would destroy anything it ever played if it were an actual team that was able to practice together, form chemistry, rotations, etc, over the course of a season.

Pops would love it. He could rest the ever living **** out of that roster

At first I agreed with you. Then I thought...you let Pop coach this team, a month is more than enough time for him to get professionals of that caliber ready to beat GS.

Then I thought...give them Chuck, if they have a month to gameplan to play against GS, the 92 dream team would be ready, and they would absolutely run right through them. Now GS would definitely do some damage, but I doubt they steal a game. The same way GS is just out horsing CLE. 92 Dream Team would do that x 5. So GS has no chance to win a series, and I would expect a sweep. David Robinson would annialate this GS team playing with the talent around him. Defensively the lane is shut down.

L8kers4life
06-11-2017, 04:54 AM
At first I agreed with you. Then I thought...you let Pop coach this team, a month is more than enough time for him to get professionals of that caliber ready to beat GS.

Then I thought...give them Chuck, if they have a month to gameplan to play against GS, the 92 dream team would be ready, and they would absolutely run right through them. Now GS would definitely do some damage, but I doubt they steal a game. The same way GS is just out horsing CLE. 92 Dream Team would do that x 5. So GS has no chance to win a series, and I would expect a sweep. David Robinson would annialate this GS team playing with the talent around him. Defensively the lane is shut down.

You know hoops man, great post!

L8kers4life
06-11-2017, 04:56 AM
PG: Magic
SG: Jordan
SF: Drexler
PF: Pippen
C: D Rob

Basically, all 5 players had post up games... Jordan would guard Curry, Pippen on Durant, Magic on Klay... the question is... Who the hell is Curry going to guard? 6'9 Magic? 6'6 Jordan? 6'7 Pippen? 6'7 Drexler? All they would have to do is feed whoever Curry is guarding and either score or foul him out. Then for giggles, sub out Clyde for Malone and feed Malone the ball against Green. Green would get abused in a 7 game series.

Barkley led that team in scoring and shot 86% from the 3 point line during that Olympic run. So I would swap out Clyde for Barkley. Move Pip to the 3 and Barkley at 4. Other than that I agree with that lineup

Magic/Steph
MJ / Klay
Pip/ Durant
Barkley/Iggy
DRob/Draymond

Dream team would Murder them, Draymond would foul out in 3 quarters. They would Destroy that team, can you imagine when they go to the bench with

Stockton
Drexler
Bird
Malone
Ewing

Lol. I can't believe this is a topic

Hangtime
06-12-2017, 12:14 AM
Barkley led that team in scoring and shot 86% from the 3 point line during that Olympic run. So I would swap out Clyde for Barkley. Move Pip to the 3 and Barkley at 4. Other than that I agree with that lineup

Magic/Steph
MJ / Klay
Pip/ Durant
Barkley/Iggy
DRob/Draymond

Dream team would Murder them, Draymond would foul out in 3 quarters. They would Destroy that team, can you imagine when they go to the bench with

Stockton
Drexler
Bird
Malone
Ewing

Lol. I can't believe this is a topic

So Mullin can't even get in this game?

LOb0
06-12-2017, 01:04 AM
How was this not locked?

KingPosey
06-12-2017, 01:10 AM
Assuming everyone's in their prime. 5 on 5 with no bench. The Warriors could steal 2 games. Curry, Durant, Iggy and Thompson are all Olympians. And Draymond is a likely fit for 2020. He is an elite defender and can guard 5 positions. Curry may get bodied up if they're using the old rules, and they would isolate him constantly. The Warriors would win at least 1 or 2 games.

God dammit I'm so sick of hearing this, no one can guard all 5 positions. And he's certainly not guarding all 5 positions when the players actually are those positions and elite, and not a fun how's floor stretching version of big men now. He's not guarding Hakeem, he's not guarding Robinson, he's not guarding Karl Malone, not even kind of, and those are just other big men. He cannot guard all 5 positions, Lebron cannot guard all 5 positions, no one.

And I wanto see chuck make him his ***** as an undersized big just like drey.

Drey is good but my god as good as he is he's probably the most overrated player in basketball sometimes.

hayley1988
06-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Dream Team in four crushing victories.

The Warriors will have the experience of playing together, but the Dream Team is the most talented team in the history of sports. It'd be a non contest.

COOLbeans
06-12-2017, 12:57 PM
God dammit I'm so sick of hearing this, no one can guard all 5 positions. And he's certainly not guarding all 5 positions when the players actually are those positions and elite, and not a fun how's floor stretching version of big men now. He's not guarding Hakeem, he's not guarding Robinson, he's not guarding Karl Malone, not even kind of, and those are just other big men. He cannot guard all 5 positions, Lebron cannot guard all 5 positions, no one.

And I wanto see chuck make him his ***** as an undersized big just like drey.

Drey is good but my god as good as he is he's probably the most overrated player in basketball sometimes.

A top defensive player in this decade who can stretch the floor and is an emotional leader is overrated? I was going to respond to the merits of your post until you said that nonsense.

AntiG
06-12-2017, 05:02 PM

funny thing is, Jordan was like the 3rd best player on that Olympic squad. Barkley and Drexler were absolutely filthy in that Olympic run.

AntiG
06-12-2017, 05:14 PM
one more thing to consider, if you are going to have a true roster vs roster, you can't leave the Dream Team only at 12.

Leaving the undeserving Laettner on there, you ignore the bickering amongst MJ and Isiah...

#13 Isiah Thomas
#14 Dominique Wilkins
#15 one of James Worthy / Kevin McHale / Brad Daughterty / Joe Dumars / Dennis Rodman / Bernard King / Mark Price / Robert Parish / Kevin Johnson