PDA

View Full Version : What can the Spurs do to beat Golden State next year?

D-Leethal
06-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Let's face it, they are the only team that has a shot at getting to that level by next season with a couple moves. If CP3 goes there - they are right there. I think they would still be missing the right type of hybrid 4. Can the Spurs somehow get Paul George and slide him into the 4 spot to match up with GSW? Who else gets them to compete or beat GSW next year?

Saddletramp
06-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Not allow ZaZa to undercut Kawhi.

hugepatsfan
06-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Sign the best FAs they can and hope to get lucky. there's no realistic combination of moves they could make and get even close to GS on paper. Warriors have an amazing system offensively and defensively so it's disrespectful to just assume Pop makes up a huge talent gap. They were up 20 in game 1 with Kawhi sure but it's dumb to think that was indicative of them being close to GS. They played a great half and GS played a bad one. It was fluky. GS is going to lose playoff games eventually - they won't go 16-0 every year. But no one is going to touch them.

To be as good as Golden State it took one of the most impressive drafting stretches we've ever seen. And then on top of that it took a well-timed cap spike to be in position to add another FA. And then it took a special case of that FA not being competitive enough to want to try and beat that all-time team already built. No one is ever going to replicate that. And even if someone does, no one is on a timeline to do it over the next few years while GS is still together.

GREATNESS ONE
06-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Get CP3 and get Cousins.

Hawkeye15
06-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Convince Tony Parker to retire, sign CP3, and Paul Milisap. Bring back Patty Mills.

TheDish87
06-08-2017, 03:54 PM
keep KL healthy and dont let Pop retire

kdspurman
06-08-2017, 04:02 PM
keep KL healthy and dont let Pop retire

Yea, pretty much this. They don't need to go adding superstars galore to compete. Some tweaks will be necessary though with FA and what not. We never got a shot to see what they could do with what they had. But it's fair to say they could hang with them from the games we saw them play this season.

You got some elite wing defenders on this team and a GOAT level coach.

Bostonjorge
06-08-2017, 04:11 PM
CP3 will make to much $ that Spurs would not be able to bring back Simmons. Maybe Lowry and keeping Simmons would be better.

BKLYNpigeon
06-08-2017, 04:38 PM
They can't do anything with Paul opting in 17mil.

hugepatsfan
06-08-2017, 04:44 PM
They can't do anything with Paul opting in 17mil.

That's a pretty easy dealt o dump I'd think. I'm about 99% positive BOS would be interested if we miss on Hayward as an example.

BKLYNpigeon
06-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Lebron is not coming West. The path to the Finals is so much easier in the East. He's got the Cavs and Dan Gilbert wrapped around his fingers.

D-Leethal
06-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Convince Tony Parker to retire, sign CP3, and Paul Milisap. Bring back Patty Mills.

I like it.

D-Leethal
06-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Sign the best FAs they can and hope to get lucky. there's no realistic combination of moves they could make and get even close to GS on paper. Warriors have an amazing system offensively and defensively so it's disrespectful to just assume Pop makes up a huge talent gap. They were up 20 in game 1 with Kawhi sure but it's dumb to think that was indicative of them being close to GS. They played a great half and GS played a bad one. It was fluky. GS is going to lose playoff games eventually - they won't go 16-0 every year. But no one is going to touch them.

To be as good as Golden State it took one of the most impressive drafting stretches we've ever seen. And then on top of that it took a well-timed cap spike to be in position to add another FA. And then it took a special case of that FA not being competitive enough to want to try and beat that all-time team already built. No one is ever going to replicate that. And even if someone does, no one is on a timeline to do it over the next few years while GS is still together.

Spurs have really never been paper champs tho. Even in 2014 - it was all about how they performed as a unit. More than any other team they tend to outperform their paper status. Adding CP3 gets them hella close if you ask me. Spurs also had a 20-25 point lead on the Warriors in the regular season but choked it away.

They had a formula that worked. The Dubs are so hard to keep down for 48 minutes though, but if anyone can find the formula it's pop if he has the requisite talent and matchup capability - which I think they can get to if CP3 goes there and they make another savvy move or 2.

LOb0
06-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Sign LeBron. That's the only way.

Bostonjorge
06-08-2017, 05:56 PM
PG would put them over the top. George and Leonard will lock down everything and anything up.

Even Durant said "George in Spurs system is better then Leonard"

likemystylez
06-08-2017, 06:04 PM

or keep trying to undercut draymond green and Durant like they did??

lakerfan85
06-08-2017, 06:06 PM
or keep trying to undercut draymond green and Durant like they did??

I guess I missed the part about Green and Durant being out for the season.. Hope they're ok..

flea
06-08-2017, 06:27 PM
They're already equipped. I think they would have pushed the Warriors 6 or 7 if Leonard had been healthy. They match up well because they're a defensively strong team with veteran bigs and big wings. Plus Leonard is a better scorer than anyone the Cavs have at this point (Irving is top 5 scorer but I think Leonard surpassed him with his jump this year).

They could use better guard play the most. Second to that, they could use a veteran above the rim big man to either slot ahead of Gasol or as their first big off the bench. Dedmon isn't good enough against top competition and Lee is a great bench big but doesn't force the other team to put a banger on him the way a guy like McGee does for the Warriors.

MJNetsIsles
06-08-2017, 06:27 PM
The team who can beat GSW is the LA Clippers

likemystylez
06-08-2017, 06:49 PM
I guess I missed the part about Green and Durant being out for the season.. Hope they're ok..

they didn't cry about it as much as leonard did, doesn't mean the act of undercutting was any less unnecessary

lakerfan85
06-08-2017, 07:35 PM
they didn't cry about it as much as leonard did, doesn't mean the act of undercutting was any less unnecessary

I don't remember Kawhi crying about it..

nastynice
06-08-2017, 07:47 PM

Oh, they sacked up. They're fine :)

kdspurman
06-08-2017, 08:10 PM
I don't remember Kawhi crying about it..

Seriously... I don't get that comment

lakerfan85
06-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Oh, they sacked up. They're fine :)

Tough for Durant to sack up when he has a mangina..

JordansBulls
06-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Just have all there guys healthy

Scoots
06-08-2017, 11:45 PM
The Clippers could challenge the Warriors too if they somehow pick up Paul George and keep the gang together.

CP3
JJ
PG
Blake
DeAndre

That's a formidable team.

The Spurs getting CP3 would be very interesting.

Saddletramp
06-09-2017, 03:06 AM

Yeah, if a player wants to take someone out, they can. I don't think that anyone tried to take those guys out, they were just getting close.

eDush
06-09-2017, 10:23 AM

I don't remember Kawhi crying about it..He did which is source information. You would cry too if you were THAT good but can't help your team by being out due to injury. Even my Steph cried when he got hurt last year in the playoffs :crying:

Scoots
06-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Seriously... I don't get that comment

Stylez doesn't believe in injuries if he doesn't see the bone.

mrblisterdundee
06-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Just stop. That lead was a fluke. The Spurs had no chance whatsoever of beating the Warriors this year, even with a fully healthy Kawhi.

The Spurs need Parker to retire and Gasol to turn down his player option to have any decent amount of cap space. Even then, they'd need Paul to take a significant pay cut. So it comes down to which Paul wants more: money or contention same situation as LeBron.

kdspurman
06-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Just stop. That lead was a fluke. The Spurs had no chance whatsoever of beating the Warriors this year, even with a fully healthy Kawhi.

The lead was a fluke in your opinion. I trust Pop's ability to game plan for a team, + GS not having their head coach more than folks thinking it's a fluke.

Game 1s are typically the best game to steal in the playoffs, they went in with the perfect mindset/game plan.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-10-2017, 08:51 AM
The Clippers could challenge the Warriors too if they somehow pick up Paul George and keep the gang together.

CP3
JJ
PG
Blake
DeAndre

That's a formidable team.

The Spurs getting CP3 would be very interesting.

Clippers don't have cap to sign PG13 outright. Also don't have the assets to trade for him either. But yeah with PG13 Clippers be pretty good.

NBA-GMaster
06-15-2017, 11:11 AM
Trade Aldridge and Green for better player/s.. find a future PG.. paul, lowry or rose
Maybe clear some caps for 2018.. LeBron could make the Decision 2.0 and picking the Spurs will somehow neutralize the hate..

Nikeman
06-15-2017, 01:22 PM
To say the Spurs would have no chance is extremely ignorant. They were up 25+ the entire Game 1 before Kawhi, who was well on his way to proving he was the best player that series. The scary part is he is still just 25 and growing. Draymond may win DPOY this year, but I still give KL the title of best defender in this league. Draymond is surrounded by elite defenders. Spurs got wrecked Game 2, but Game 3 they only lost 12 and seemed to be competing. You tell me Kawhi plays they don't have a shot?

What the Spurs lack is another creator, if they get CP3 I think he'd be the perfect guy to let Kawhi ease up on offense, and actually get him better looks. What the Spurs can not do is gut their roster. They need those depth guys like Mills, Jonathan Simmons, Danny Green etc. Simmons will actually become a great player under Pop who already is an elite defender himself and can help give Kawhi breaks.

The Spurs are one playmaker away from maybe not beating GS but definitely giving them a serious run

WestCoastSportz
06-15-2017, 02:29 PM
The Spurs put all their eggs into an old basket while their best player is 25 years old and, in my opinion, the 2nd best player in the league behind Lebron and yes, ahead of Durant. The Spurs are an old school style franchise and I think they'll stick with what they got for as long as they can. They don't give up on their star players, even if they don't contribute much anymore. Think Duncan, Ginobli and Parker. They ride them until they retire.

Trade Idea:

Send Lamarcus Aldridge to the Boston Celtics for Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart and Tyler Zeller. The one missing piece the Celtics didn't have was a PF with a back to the basket game. They relied on isolation plays way too much with Isaiah Thomas. This gives them an option in the half court. Bradley is a decent player, but he's hardly a star player that can't be traded. He's a good defender and Popovich will find a away to use him effectively. Marcus Smart gives them a tough defending point guard. Zeller is a filler that can be useful. Then see if Zach Randolph would sign for them for less money. I believe they can offer him a contract that starts in that $12M range.

The Celtics would start Thomas, Brown, Crowder, Aldridge and Horford. They have some young talent in Rozier, Olynk and Young. They also have the #1 overall pick as well.

The Spurs:

PG Marcus Smart / Tony Parker
SG Danny Green / Avery Bradley / Bryan Forbes
SF Kawhi Leonard / Kyle Anderson
PF Zach Randolph / David Lee
C Pau Gasol / Tyler Zeller / Dewayne Dedm