PDA

View Full Version : Player Opinions

More-Than-Most
06-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Today we have heard 3 moronic things from former players..... Pierce has said that Durant is the best player in basketball because of these last 2 games but ignores how easy it is for him in comparison when you factor in how Durant has a cake walk while a guy like curry can sleep on the side of the court during game and how easy it is to be great offensively when you can cover 1 guy defensively unlike the cavs. How did Durant look against the warriors last year in the WCF without himself added to that list? Exactly

We have also heard Pierce say magic is ahead of lebron in all time rankings.

We have now heard Horry say the dream is 20 times better than duncan.

Why do we rely on former players opinions because of some stupid notion that they play the sport when they in all seriousness have not a clue about who the best is and how valuable said players are? I would take the opinion of certain posters on this board over actual NBA players any day of the week and twice on Sundays because they use nothing except name value and who they like as their above all end all argument.

FlashBolt
06-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Playing basketball is different from evaluating basketball. Players are humans and have biases as well. Pierce saying Magic is ahead of LeBron is SOLELY because he's from LA and grew up watching Magic. Pierce saying KD is better but has no logical explanation. Why? Because of two games? The Finals series? Was Dirk the best player in 2011? I don't think anyone can rely on a player's perspective because it's a selection of what you want to hear. I mean, Barkley hates using advanced statistics but he thinks Oscar Robertson is better than LeBron. How?

Lil Rhody
06-05-2017, 08:33 PM
In Paul's defense he said today. So you can trump the situation and say he wasn't being literal and just meant that day that game.

I like using trump for a noun been doing it since the primaries

Say something you are not serious about but are but don't want people calling you out. Trumping it

Being a huge ******* and rip the opposition. Trumping it

Bostonjorge
06-05-2017, 11:27 PM
James didn't have a cake walk to the Finals? I know Crowder rose to the occasion for one game and stuck it to Cleveland, but without Thomas that was a cake walk up until game 3. Crowder was just the better man that night.

cmellofan15
06-05-2017, 11:47 PM
Lmao shut up---with Isaiah they would have gotten swept

Chronz
06-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Sent this to my hangouts homies
***** Kevin Durant : https://streamable.com/xu0am

Chill Kobe spot:
https://streamable.com/tjoce

MygirlhatesCod
06-06-2017, 01:45 PM
another one is magic saying his team would sweep this current warriors team.

steelcityroller
06-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Playing basketball is different from evaluating basketball. Players are humans and have biases as well. Pierce saying Magic is ahead of LeBron is SOLELY because he's from LA and grew up watching Magic. Pierce saying KD is better but has no logical explanation. Why? Because of two games? The Finals series? Was Dirk the best player in 2011? I don't think anyone can rely on a player's perspective because it's a selection of what you want to hear. I mean, Barkley hates using advanced statistics but he thinks Oscar Robertson is better than LeBron. How?

He gave his reason why. He said because Durant was excelling at everything on the court. Inside and Outside. Offense and Defense. On the ball and off the ball. Creating turnovers without having his own turnovers. Etc.

At the end of the day its his opinion. He can think whatever he wants doesn't mean everybody has to agree with it.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2017, 04:28 PM
He gave his reason why. He said because Durant was excelling at everything on the court. Inside and Outside. Offense and Defense. On the ball and off the ball. Creating turnovers without having his own turnovers. Etc.

At the end of the day its his opinion. He can think whatever he wants doesn't mean everybody has to agree with it.

exactly.

Some ex-players are very well spoken, analytical, and have a better understanding of the game than other ex-players. Someone like MJ, is SO competitive, that can't be turned off, and there are other guys like that.

As long as someone doesn't take what an ex-player said as gospel, and run with it as their sole basis and evidence for an opinion, it's all good.

TheDish87
06-07-2017, 12:18 PM
literally no one relies on player opinions.

KnicksorBust
06-07-2017, 12:23 PM
exactly.

Some ex-players are very well spoken, analytical, and have a better understanding of the game than other ex-players. Someone like MJ, is SO competitive, that can't be turned off, and there are other guys like that.

As long as someone doesn't take what an ex-player said as gospel, and run with it as their sole basis and evidence for an opinion, it's all good.

Pretty much this. I find them entertaining. Sometimes they are so insightful that I still feel like there are things I need to learn. They have had experiences I never will have and it's fun to hear from a perspective so different from my own. Then some just say the dumbest things you can imagine. :)

hugepatsfan
06-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Pierce wants to be a GM so he needs to get his **** together. I expect him to sign on with Ainge for a bit to learn the ropes though.

nastynice
06-07-2017, 12:27 PM
..... Pierce has said that Durant is the best player in basketball because of these last 2 games but ignores how easy it is for him in comparison when you factor in how Durant has a cake walk while a guy like curry can sleep on the side of the court during game and how easy it is to be great offensively when you can cover 1 guy defensively unlike the cavs. How did Durant look against the warriors last year in the WCF without himself added to that list? Exactly

I think he's talking more about how when lebron and KD are matched up one on one KD has been repetitively defacating all over lebron . Like not here n there, but like over and over and over.

He absolutely has been the better player in these finals

Vee-Rex
06-07-2017, 01:07 PM
I think ex player opinions who are commenting on modern stuff can mostly be ignored. There's some exceptions, but generally they don't seem to have a strong grasp on the situation, or they're so overwhelmingly biased towards their own teams and legacies that they can't see how a modern team or player may be superior.

I find the opinions of current NBA players more interesting.

JasonJohnHorn
06-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Players are sometimes worse than fans.

You take a guy with a high IQ like Magic and Kidd, or Stockton or CP3, and you'll hear the real deal from them.

You get a guy who relied on physical gifts almost exclusively on physical gifts, like Shaq and Howard, and they usually offer rediculous comments.

Old guys will prefer their era as well. They are invested in that. Not all, but many. Like Barkley doesn't want to admit jump shooting teams can win now. Jump shooting wasn't that great when Barkley played, not it's not uncommon to have 2 or 3 guys shooting over .400 from the arc on one team when there weren't even 5 guys in the league doing it when Barely played. Chuck just can't get that through his thick skull.

You also get guys who overvalue certain skills.

I remember hearing KD praise Iverson (and a lot of players), I think because they realize how hard it is for a guy that small to score, and players who praise Iverson (and there are many) respect that he could break down defender and could handle/dribble the ball so well, because he did both at a level unparalleled in the NBA. However, he couldn't finish at the hole or shoot, so he was pretty well overrated because players put too much stock in that skill. KD, the guy who praised Iverson, has scored 19,121 and taken 13252 shots in his first ten year, while Iverson, in his first ten years scored 19,106 points (15 points less), while taking 15,887 shots (2653 shots more to score 15 fewer points).

Player opinions are hit and miss. There are guys with really great skill sets who don't have a high bbIQ. It's great to watch them play, but they can't read or articulate the game.

Some things can't be put into words. And sometimes guys over value individual skills in a team setting.
Coaches are usually better at this than players, but players can be worse than analysts and fans.

Either way.... there is no way Hakeem is 20X better than Duncan. And that is coming from a guy who would take Hakeem over anybody in a draft that allowed me to keep a guy for the entirety of his career.

KD is great... but he's in a setting that allows him to kill it because his teammates pass and alos pull defeners away from him.

LBJ is doing far more with far less, even if it is in a losing effort.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-07-2017, 09:02 PM
A player's opinion is just an opinion. Who cares?

JasonJohnHorn
06-07-2017, 09:04 PM
In Paul's defense he said today. So you can trump the situation and say he wasn't being literal and just meant that day that game.

I like using trump for a noun been doing it since the primaries

Say something you are not serious about but are but don't want people calling you out. Trumping it

Being a huge ******* and rip the opposition. Trumping it

Wait... isn't that a verb? And isn't the word 'trump' both a verb and a noun?

JasonJohnHorn
06-07-2017, 09:12 PM
A player's opinion is just an opinion. Who cares?

I think it is just the notion that fans often assume that being on the court with them, and being a talented player themselves, players thoughts would inherently be more insightful when evaluating other players.

The truth is... most are just as crazy as fans.

You get a player like West, who consistently throughout his career as an executive was able to draft pretty much the best available player in every single draft, and then you get Magic saying the Lakers would sweep a team who may very well be 16-0 when the Lakers themselves were swept by the Pistons one year. How can a team who got swept sweep a champion who swept their way to a title.

MrfadeawayJB
06-07-2017, 10:43 PM
That one year when pierce got injured and was on a wheel chair, for that series...pierce was the best player in basketball. Dirk when Dallas beat Miami was the best player in basketball. But that's just a series in which players get hot, Not better in the grand scheme of things. It can be debated lebron is having a better series than kd right now.